Now that the deal to bring Modibo Maiga to Newcastle next month is dead in the water, we wonder who Newcastle will be going after now?
Nathanial Clyne – Newcastle interested in 20 year-old England U21 International
It was certainly a surprise that the deal fell through, when Maiga failed his fitness test in London, with a knee problem earlier in the week, but the news is that the deal is completely dead, and will not be revived.
The list of Newcastle targets for strikers and defenders would be interesting to see, but the Sunday Sun is reporting they include 21 year-old Dutch International striker Luuk de Jong of FC Twente, and Lille’s 25 year-old Senegal International striker Moussa Sow.
Newcastle have also been interested in 19 year-old striker Wilfred Zaha of Crystal Palace, but the fee of £10M for the Ivory Coast player is said to be complete nonsense by an unnamed Newcastle insider.
Newcastle have been watching Crystal Palace a lot recently, and they are said to be also keen on 20 year-old Nathaniel Cline, the England U21 International full-back, whose three year contract runs out next summer at the London club.
It seems that Newcastle have their lists of defenders and strikers for the January window and that they have done their homework well, as happened in the summer also.
Newcastle have also been linked with 25 year-old Montpelier striker Olivier Giroud, and the classy Montpelier captain, 22 year-old Yanga-Mbiwa, who can play anywhere across the back four.
Other defenders the Tyneside club have been linked with include 27 year-old center-back Chris Samba of Blackburn, and Chris would be a terrific signing for Newcastle United – just terrific.
We have also been linked with 26 year-old left-back Aly Cissoko of French club Lyon, and Newcastle were certainly interested in the French International over the summer.
And only last weekend Newcastle has a £2.5M bid for West Ham’s 22 year-old England U21 International center-back James Tomkins turned down.
Finally, Newcastle have been told that Dutch International left-back Erik Pieters of PSV, is not for sale in January.
It remains to be soon who the club will be bringing in next month to strengthen the squad, but news today that Alan Pardew has been told by owner Mike Ashley, that he is willing to pay out good money in January, but only for the right players.