Arsene Wenger – Why Didn’t You Get Me Yohan Cabaye?

Yohan Cabaye  will miss the game on Wednesday night against WBA.

Yohan Cabaye – great capture by Newcastle

The French International picked up his 5th yellow card of the season on Saturday and will miss the game, but that will give a chance to somebody else against WBA.

Haris Vukic, Mehdi Abeid or Ben Arfa could all come into that attacking central midfield position, in place of Cabaye, on Wednesday evening.

There was a good interview in the  Sunday Sun yesterday, where Yohan talked about when he first talked to Alan Pardew about possibly joining Newcastle United in the summer:

“The first time I met Alan Pardew I asked him ‘How do you want to play? What is the style?,”  “He said ‘With you, it will change’. I told him I want to have the ball at my feet, I want to pass the ball, pass again.”

“It reassured me a lot to hear that the first time I met him. It was my first move since Lille and not to another French club so it was more difficult.”  “I was pleased and relieved for him to say that.” ” I was reassured and I felt good.”

“I love the passing game. I love getting my foot on the ball, I love touching the ball. For me Xavi and Iniesta are the best – it is like they do not play the same game as us,”

“Last season I was focused on the ball and how many times I touched it.”  “When I was 100 or over I was happy – when I was under 100 I was sad.”

“I want to touch the ball every minute I can. I want to find the very difficult pass, to maybe find the striker or Hatem or the wide player.”  “It’s my job and I want to be focused on that.”

“For me the very difficult or beautiful pass – I like that.”

And there was  a good piece of news in the Sunday Sun about when Arsene Wenger  was looking for a central midfielder in late August,  to replace the departed Cesc Fabregas.

And in a meeting the Arsenal manager had with his scouting team at that time, he asked why they hadn’t got him Yohan Cabaye of Lille?  And the word from the Arsenal scouts was that he was supposed to be joining Real Madrid or Barcelona.

So rather  than have the classy Cabaye at Arsenal, whom Wenger admires greatly, they  had to make do with Mikel Arteta from Everton, whom they signed on August 31st for £10M.

And of course to make matters worse – he’s Spanish! 😀

We’ll just point out that Newcastle got Cabaye for €5M, which is around £4.2M these days, and he’s better than Arteta.

We have every confidence in the new Newcastle scouting team under Graham Carr, and apparently Newcastle had already got Cabaye locked up way before the end of last season – and that’s what happens when you do your homework early.

And don’t be surprised if Newcastle bring in another six players next summer, to go with the couple they will likely get through the door next month, which we expect to be a striker and a center-back.

Things are looking up on Tyneside.

• hatem or love him

Dec 19, 2011 at 1:22 AM

got to love it when we get a player who’s supposed to be joining Real Madrid or Barcelona and was supposed to be a Fabregas replacement. Graham Carr you absolute legend.

• toonbrother

Dec 19, 2011 at 1:56 AM

Thats why they call him dreamboat. The man is class through and through

• roshan MAGPIE

GUTI
    BEN ARFA
    BA
    BEST

• Sav

Dec 19, 2011 at 3:10 AM

Bring moi the head of Alfredo Garcia.

• Klatoon

Dec 19, 2011 at 3:16 AM

Its got to be Vuckic against WBA,attack minded and loves getting into the box.

• Seba29072

Dec 19, 2011 at 3:41 AM

Funny how Cabaye mentions the desire to pass the ball to HATEM BEN ARFA!! Come on Pardew, lets see a team sheet that includes Tiote/HBA/Cabaye, really not hard is it now.

Really not sure what @roshan is going on about. Seems a weird place to post a lineup that doesn’t involve Cabaye, not to mention the other flaws…..

• Seba29072

Dec 19, 2011 at 3:46 AM

edit* he’s suspended doh, apologies @roshan, still think formation is retarded, esp with the players you’ve chosen. BA is CAM? or Obertan playing CM?

• chris_g

Dec 19, 2011 at 4:30 AM

I really hope that Cabaye isn’t beginning to have a few regrets, now that he knows that he could have been an Arsenal player if it hadn’t been for the stuff-up by their scouts. He was happy enough to join us when he did, but we appeared to be the only PL club who were seriously interested in him at the time.

When he joined us he was quoted as saying:

“I had the possibility of going to Aston Villa. But it depended upon whether Gerard Houllier was going to continue in charge and as he ended up not staying I did not join them.

“A lot of people thought that I was going to sign for Arsenal this summer, but Newcastle were all I had.

“I was never in contact with anybody at Arsenal. They made some enquiries but that was as far as it went.”
    source: http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11677/7281342/Cabaye-happy-with-choice

• HOGC

Dec 19, 2011 at 4:31 AM

for me, as long as obertan doesn’t start at WBA then it would be good.

i like the touches that he has, at times the skills that he shows, and the speed.

BUT this guy doesn’t have a single bit of confidence in him, no end product, shooting is like shit, as well as crossing, don’t dare to run at defenders.

Perch might be a whole lot lousier then Obertan in terms of skills, but what i get from Perch in games is that you feel he gives you his 100%, by the way he goes for the ball and in the Swansea game, he tried a few long balls up. HE TRIED!

but Obertan is nothing. i hope Sammy Ameobi starts at WBA. though he might not be skillful, but he tries to run at defenders and that’s how you will grow as players, if you TRY and fail many times. Obertan isn’t even trying, he should not start.

• LEROI

Dec 19, 2011 at 5:05 AM

Cabaye is good enough for any team on earth but we signed him first, when i read this story i thought up this verse i did not rehearse. ha ha ha!

anyhoo enough crazy rhyming here’s my pick for new CB.

Bolton’s Marcos Alonso.
    I’m not sure where this kid has been lately but i can remember him being awsome at centre back for them last season not least of all against us. he’s still only 22 and can still improve and he’s also a product the Real Madrid Youth set up so he has a great pedigree too.

PRO’S = A bit of prem experience, only 22, low wages, wouldn’t even cost an arm and a leg to buy of Bolton, speaks spanish like collo and jonas.

CONS = He aint been seen for a while, probably not on Carr’s radar, ???

• ToonMatt

Dec 19, 2011 at 5:36 AM

Dont worry Wenger we are here to supply the big boys with players, Put in a bid of £10m and Cabaye is an Arsenal player !!!!!!

• Super Simmo Strikes Again

Dec 19, 2011 at 6:11 AM

@ToonMatt.

You drunk?

10mill for Cabaye… no thanks. Too cheap. Especially at the rate players in the EPL are being sold at. On top of that, Cabaye is on a 5 year contract right?, therefore raising his price even more.

All i want for christmas, is this line up. (albeit to get this team, there would be a few late christmas gifts… i.e Jan transfer)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Krul~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~Santon~~~~~~~~Samba~~~~Colo~~~~~~~~~Baines~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Tiote~~~~Cabaye~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~Guttierez~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Ben Arfa~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Ba~~~~Best~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Subs:
    – Eliote
    – Willo
    – Simmo
    – Obertan
    – Guthrie
    – Sammy
    – Strolla

This will never happen though… Samba and baines will be too expensive.

• ilovetoon8788

Dec 19, 2011 at 7:21 AM

So far.. I feel cabaye is under achieving.. Not much of the spectacular through balls he mentioning.. Pretty quiet most of the game..

• HENDAS-NUFC

Dec 19, 2011 at 7:56 AM

Just some facts lads since M.A changing the name of our stadium we havent won a game.

• cyprus

Dec 19, 2011 at 7:57 AM

It’s been said by others already. Why, AP, did u not put HBA on when we lacked that creative brilliance in the last 20 minutes? Sammy is not a game changer yet, it’s clear. Though Obertan had some good moves, he still has not taken on a single player in 15+ games, which is frustrating to see. MOM was Ba, will this be our best CF ever? I know that’s a big statement, as we’ve had the best striker in the PL, but this guy makes something out of nothing and he was unlucky not to get a couple. Anyway, AP, play HBA a full game (i.e. do not substitute!) and give him an unbroken RUN of a few games. He’s trying to do too much in the few minutes u give him…

• cyprus

Dec 19, 2011 at 8:01 AM

Oh, and regarding Jan window and xmas wishes I’ve seen above. I’ll be glad if we don’t lose any players… Honestly I can live with what we have.
    PS. Vuckic had a good game too.

• BigKirky

Dec 19, 2011 at 8:48 AM

Iv just read on news now the story of Liverpool wanting £15m rated Newcastle midfielder. I thought to myself, they must be talking about Guthrie because Tiote is worth twice that. Nonsense story anyway.

• BigKirky

Dec 19, 2011 at 8:53 AM

Im looking forward to seeing Haris play on Wed. Just hope Ben Arfa starts.

• stuart no9

Dec 19, 2011 at 9:34 AM

I ts xmas come early for fat ash , to wake up this morning to the news that arsenal were p///sed off for not securing cabaye signature earlier in the season Ash must feel in a “cant lose” situation.We know that the players he signs are only bought to develop their skills in the prem,in readiness for a top 4 ambitious club to come knocking. Again he has hit the jackpot. A bit of a tapping up job on wengers part but thats football, Cabaye now knows that arsenal want him, ash knows arsenal want , whats the betting on a lucrative new deal to keep him at the toon for another 6 years, with a salary way below what a top 4 ambitious club would pay, arsenal offer 3 times his wages, cabaye moves south, cabaye gets slaughtered from the fans for being a greedy b……d, ash gets off scott free, fans believe him when he says” tried every thing to keep him ” ash gets 20m in his pocket , and us ? back to square 1.

• theleckworthbird

Dec 19, 2011 at 2:27 PM

Cyprus, couldn’t agree more re Ban Arfur. He is trying too hard to impress in the brief time he is given
    Big Kirky, from what I have seen of both players this season, I would rate Guthrie more highly than Tiote now that he is playing in his favoured position.