Ben Arfa Will Still Make It Big At Newcastle

A number of our readers were not too happy that 24 year-old Frenchman  Hatem  Ben Arfa did not get a run-out on Saturday.

Ben Arfa – can still make it big at Newcastle

And Alan Pardew seemed to pick up on that fact that  Newcastle fans were a little mystified about why the skillful and creative player was not allowed a chance against Swansea to open up their defense.

That’s when Newcastle were finding it very difficult to get that one goal that would have given the Magpies  a very welcome 3 points,  against a middle of the table side.

Alan addressed the concerns  of not playing  Ben Arfa a little bit yesterday, and he talked again today to the local  press about the matter:

“Sometimes you’ve got to fuel your players, and the disappointment he had about not getting on might fuel him for Wednesday night.”

“When you get a 0-0, you always think of something else.”   “A couple of times I thought about bringing on Hatem.”

“But I just felt they were so deep, with so many numbers back, that I did not think he would find any space, if I asm honest.”

“He looks for pockets, and there weren’t any.”

We still don’t fully  understand why Ben Arfa didn’t come on, because when you think of doing something different  – that’s just exactly what Hatem Ben Arfa can do – and you just don’t know what that will be in advance.

And neither does Ben Arfa – such is the definition of creativity – but maybe a 30 yard bullet like he produced at Everton last year would have been on the menu.

We feel almost certain that Ben Arfa will now play some part in the WBA game on Wednesday evening, when Newcastle badly need to secure all 3 points, and the French International could even get a start in that game.

And Ben Arfa will certainly be very motivated to show both Alan Pardew and the Newcastle fans what he can do for the Newcastle side.

We’ve seen a few articles questioning whether Ben Arfa was the force he was, and whether  Newcastle may even sell the player.

But that kind of talk is very premature,  and even unfair to the 24 year-old,  who still possesses great  ability and all he needs is a run in the first team,  to show what he can do for Newcastle, following his terrible double leg fracture of last year.

We still think Ben Arfa will  make it big at Newcastle, and maybe a goal on Wednesday will be on the cards.

• WWJBD

Dec 19, 2011 at 3:53 PM

U lads are peeing in the wind talking to planb

• planb

Dec 19, 2011 at 3:59 PM

As long as thick settle for 2nd best clowns fill ashelys pockets thats all you will ever be ask wwjbd hes an expert

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Dec 19, 2011 at 4:00 PM

Maybe you’re right lads. Being the season of goodwill and all I thought my present to planb might be some common sense because he clearly hasn’t got any.

• planb

Dec 19, 2011 at 4:02 PM

Ruddy Marveaux-lous whats up the truth hurt?

• WWJBD

Dec 19, 2011 at 4:02 PM

Haha am a expert in ‘thick settle for 2nd best clowns fill ashleys pockets’? I think I have misled u planb lad I dont even know what the dickens that means

• planb

Dec 19, 2011 at 4:05 PM

WWJBD thats my point you dont know what that means thats how ashely treats you!

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Dec 19, 2011 at 4:06 PM

“What’s up the truth hurt?”

What truth? You haven’t said anything that has resembled a reasonable argument.

• Geordiedoonsooth

Dec 19, 2011 at 4:08 PM

Planb It’s a different club since KK’s 1st days as manager. Pardew has signed some class players Cabaye & Ba are top class. The toon can’t compete with the fees and wages of the top 4-5 clubs so we have to look for bargains and with Carr as scout we can pick up some top players on the cheap.

• WWJBD

Dec 19, 2011 at 4:08 PM

Oh no wait I found my translator did u mean

“As long as the thick settle for 2nd best all u will ever be is clowns who fill Ashleys pockets, just ask WWJBD as he is a expert”?

I feel like google

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Dec 19, 2011 at 4:09 PM

WWJBD…class 😛

• WWJBD

Dec 19, 2011 at 4:09 PM

Ashley treats me like I dont understand what u say? Well doesn’t someone think the world revolves around them

• WWJBD

Dec 19, 2011 at 4:11 PM

Haha Ruddy its fairly childish I know but it was quite fun to write haha

• planb

Dec 19, 2011 at 4:12 PM

Ruddy Marveaux-lous you said pardews a better manager than Keegan then you named a few players that keegan never even signed like luque and owen who had flopped so its your arguement thats flawed you even think pardews going to win the title NUFC deluded or what?

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Dec 19, 2011 at 4:12 PM

Was just the right level of childishness with just a dash of derision…I loved it haha

• WWJBD

Dec 19, 2011 at 4:16 PM

Haha am glad u enjoyed it mate

• planb

Dec 19, 2011 at 4:17 PM

No wonder we have the team we have with supporters like Ruddy Marveaux-lous andWWJBD so easily entertained ashely must think its xmas everyday

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Dec 19, 2011 at 4:17 PM

I never said Pardew was going to win the title. But yes I do think Keegan is a worse manager than Pardew. It is easy for managers to come into a club and spend money to succeed. If you offer huge wages and spend massively on transfer fees then yes of course you are going to attract huge players. Do you think Aguero, Silva, Balotelli and co would be playing for City if they didn’t? As you said we were the City of the 90s, players didn’t come for the love of Nufc they came for the massive pay cheque. Keegan spent all that money, in relative terms he spent as much as Mancini has for City, and he failed to win the league in 1995-96 then deserted us mid-season in 1996-97. Given that amount of money to spend I’d bet Pardew would have a right crack at winning the title but that is all speculation. A manager’s worth is truly tested when he has got eff all to spend, and that is what Pards is doing and doing well at so give over you muppet

• WWJBD

Dec 19, 2011 at 4:21 PM

Ah planb what a wonderful retort

Do tell me though how do u work out that because me and Ruddy disagree with u that Ashley thinks its Christmas everyday? Or does he just have Wizzard stuck on repeat?

• planb

Dec 19, 2011 at 4:23 PM

Keegan didnt desert us he left because he wasnt being backed in the transfer market by the halls and shepherd he was two signings away from the title but the halls wouldnt sanction the deals so he walked a man of principles.

• planb

Dec 19, 2011 at 4:28 PM

WWJBD he thinks its xmas everyday when sees you in one of his lonsdale sweatshirts

• WWJBD

Dec 19, 2011 at 4:34 PM

Haha right I dont wear them but feel free to name some more brands and see if u can guess one I think u will struggle though

• Tino3Barca2

Dec 19, 2011 at 4:40 PM

I can’t believe some of the retards that frequent this site. It’s ridiculous.Pardew is doing a fantastic job. I can’t think of too many players who haven’t improved immeasurably under him. We look really solid at the back, the players we’ve signed are doing well. Only a crippling injury/suspension list and lack of squad funding has found us out.

HBA is not greater than NUFC. If he leaves, so be it, there’s other players.

Saying that, I really like the lad and hope he comes good but there’s issues surrounding getting him in the team. One is that he drops very deep playing in the striker/10 role. Thats OK if you have fullbacks that function well going forward and midfielders/wingers who get into the box and threaten the goal. We have none of that on a regular basis and it leaves Ba on his own, himself a player that likes to drop deep to get the ball too. If we have wingers that attack the goal, a breaking midfielder, this issue is fine but we don’t. Everyone sits deep.

Playing him on the wing brings up defensive issues. the protection we give the fullbacks has been a cornerstone of our from this season. Look what happened against Chelsea when Lover went awol in his duties. If HBA tracked back like Silva does for e.g. I’d play him on the RW sometimes, depending on the threat of the opposition.

Putting him in midfield is an interesting option for me. I’d like him with players in front of him, 2 strikers. He could play a Dyer like role but it would take some defensive discipline. I would think Tiote, Jonas and Ober would cover for this. I’d like to see him there against WBA. I don’t at this stage think Cabaye or Tiote are undroppable or at least subbable. We need to threaten the goal more from midfield, this and our fullbacks are our biggest weakness. HBA would provide a threat from midfield but carries risk.

There is also the issue of his fitness and acclimatisation to the PL. This is effectively his first season in the PL, he needs to get used to the pace, needs to settle into the club and the team and on top of all this get his form back after 2 big injuries. No wonder Pardew is taking it easy with him. Problem I see with him now is his touch and fitness are not quite there and he is trying too hard. Holding the ball for too long, trying too difficult a pass and taking on too many players and losing the ball in midfield, which you never need.

It’s difficult, he needs games but he could lose us points before he starts gaining them for us, if that makes sense. I understand the dilemma Pardew has and the risks with playing him but he has to get playing time.

I’d be bringing him on at CM and RW personally. I don’t think we have the team to play him in a free role right now.

Down the line does he fit better in a 433?

• Ruddy Marveaux-lous

Dec 19, 2011 at 4:48 PM

Planb he had already spent what was at the time a world record transfer fee for Shearer and you think he wasn’t being backed in the transfer market? Are you having a laugh? Man of principle? Be that as it may he still left us high and dry while we were in pole position for the title. Good managers can get the best of what they have, not always having to resort to spending more and more money.

• tooninspain

Dec 19, 2011 at 4:50 PM

plan b……thank god supporters like you are in the minority. Why don’t you take a reality check? Our club (notice I said OUR club) is in a healthier state than it’s been for years, and I’ve seen some pretty bad ones in my 50 years as a supporter. Look at the signings Keegan made when he first came……killer Kilcline for one. Pardew is working wonders considering the budget constraints.We don’t need supporters like you….go and join the glory-seekers at Manure or Citeh.

• Rotonda heights

Dec 19, 2011 at 4:52 PM

Boater
    2 points
    1) You say Shola isn’t a ‘’power’’ player. This may be true, but it didn’t stop them hoofing it long to either him or Best
    2) You say I am the only one who didn’t appreciate Pardew’s bizarre and frankly lame explanation. I suggest you read through people’s comments again, like comment 11 for example and take a more balanced, rather than a know it all view, as you repeatedly come off very pompous.
    I am not a hypocrite as I have never rated Pardew. One look at his CV tells you his limitations, his stubbornness, his player favouritism, lack of a plan B and history of player fall outs. Not to mention not winning anything. While I enjoyed our run while it lasted and you could make excuses against the big 3, we could not beat 2 promoted teams home or away and team selection and subs were questionable in both matches. The ironic thing is we have arguably our best squad ever and with a top manager / tactician, we could really challenge. However, I am also aware that the only alternative to Pardew under Ashley would be another failed English manager with another nothing CV like JFK.

• Widowmaker

Dec 19, 2011 at 7:07 PM

PA is doing well, but better than KK? Let’s start the topic after he got us 2nd in the league. Looking forward to the discussion.

• NEWEXPATMAGPIE

Dec 19, 2011 at 7:53 PM

Just read all of the above comments from our down to earth Mags: PlanB, Ruddy Marvelous, and WWJBD:

PlanB comes over as childish and likely to start name calling with everyone who does,nt think the same as him!
    But then again as opinions go he is entitled to them, even if they are wrong !

We are not a team in crisis but are definitely a work in Progress! Pardew is a good trainer and given the fact that his employer is a twot! is doing a good job in the circumstances under which he has to operate!

Reading the arguments above i found myself thinking that PlanB would be better off in The stadium of Shite rather than at SJP! Now as for the other two sides of the argument we have occasionally had words but on this occasion i certainly agree with the both of you! Never but never seen this PlanB charachter on here before!

Have seen reports on here this evening that we are interested in signing Douglas from FCTwente! He is twice the player that Pieters will ever be and having just obtained Dutch Nationality will soon be a Dutch international!
    But, if we get this lad i will be overjoyed, coz he is another version of Tiote but built like a brick Shithouse! Nothing, gets past him and he was instramental in Twente,s Championsip winnimng year!
    At 7Mil he would be cheap! Cream my Jeans just thinking about him in Black an White! But hey Such a transfer will surely never happen!
    Another good signing would still be Wilfried Boney from Arnhem Vitesse!
    As for HBA, Pards is probably right to leave him out, his time will come!

• daher.paris

Dec 21, 2011 at 9:33 AM

we have to support him, ben arfa is not a normal player, we know him in france since his 12 year old..