Let’s Try To Help Obertan And Not Hinder Him

It wasn’t good when Newcastle winger Gabriel Obertan was jeered when he was substituted in the second half on Saturday at St. James’ Park.

Gabriel Obertan – in action on Saturday

In fact it’s never good when Newcastle fans get against any Newcastle player, and it certainly doesn’t help the player and it doesn’t help the side, so it’s generally negative stuff,  which is never good.

There’s a good saying that if you cannot say something good about somebody don’t say anything at all, and that applies to Gabriel.

The 22 year-old is still getting to grips with Newcastle, and also getting some of his confidence back with some decent playing time on Tyneside, after having a two year barren spell at Manchester United.

Since we want Newcastle to do well, it generally helps to support the manager and the players, and things have gone really well over the last 30 months  when we’ve done that, and have recovered so very well from the relegation demise of May, 2009.

If you don’t think we are doing well just think of how things were in the summer of 2009.

Alan Pardew certainly didn’t appreciate the jeers directed at Gabriel on Saturday, as he had this to say today:

“That’s a bit harsh,”  “Because he is so quick, you always want him bursting down the outside.”

“I thought he played well first half. He created three or four situations for us. He is a player who has only played 14 Premier League games.”

“He is learning, his discipline was much better defensively. I think when you get a 0-0, there can be frustration from the crowd.”

“Overall, I though the crowd was very positive and I thank them for that.”

Gabriel has the makings of a good player, and he certainly has the skill.

After all, confidence is everything in football, and Gabriel has so far made 16 appearances for the Magpies this season, and is still looking for his first goal.

We always like to see the fans giving all our players as much help as possible,  so that they can play well for the side.

That will help them (think Gabriel Obertan and James Perch as two examples), and also help the side,  and ultimately help the fans, because Newcastle will become successful again.

Give the lad a chance – he’s hard working and is only  trying to do his very best for his new club.

Comments welcome.

• Indian Magpie

Dec 19, 2011 at 9:23 AM

he has played about 15 games and done very little and pardew keeps dropping HBA. i do not get it. to make matters worse he keeps picking shola ameobi

who i keep telling you is not that good, quite poor actually

• WWJBD

Dec 19, 2011 at 9:24 AM

Jeering and booing our own players…some people need to take a look at themselves

• cyprus

Dec 19, 2011 at 9:34 AM

Indian does make a few legit points Ed, even if he gets stick here, as I’ve noticed. I’m all for giving players a chance (e.g. Ranger) before judgment is made and I do agree that Obertan will probably come good. Still, we must play our strongest team and HBA is certainly part of that. For instance, see the difference playing Davide at LB made. It gave Jonas a chance to move forward and reminded me of the deadly combination he had with that Liverpool player, our best LB ever. Nice thing is, for a change, we do have depth, given that we played so well without fielding Abeid, Vuckic (just a few good minutes), HBA, and still having injuries.

• Jan Stavik

Dec 19, 2011 at 9:34 AM

@Indian. – couldn’t agree more. To see HBA left on the bench with Shola and two rookies come on was simply shocking.

• roshan MAGPIE

Dec 19, 2011 at 9:35 AM

i hate the one who slags OBERTAN he IS a good player he just need confidence he created chances last night and didnt do much wrong did he any one

• WWJBD

Dec 19, 2011 at 9:43 AM

Why did Shola come on instead of HBA? Because we needed a goal and Shola has played out of his skin lately

• spitfire_

Dec 19, 2011 at 9:45 AM

The only think what Obertan have is a pace. Nothing less nothing more. He’s crossing is appalling, he have som? “tricks” that he does in most cases unsuccessfully. I’m in my right to booing him because he is the wing who can’t crossing ffs… Why not HBA as a right wing? He’s not a wing but nor Barton. Put HBA on the right and tell him to play like Barton in last season – free to go inside, support the attack and mids and helping the right back when is necessary. Our game is based ot crossing but we have Jonas who is on right but play with a right foot and he must turn around to cross and Obertan on the left who play with the right foot too but he can’t cross… wtf.

• traceline

Dec 19, 2011 at 9:46 AM

Disagreeing with Pardew re: substitutions and tactics is one thing – booing one of our players because he’s caught up in that is another.

Booing ANY of our players is wrong IMO – if you feel you can’t contribute positively then keep your gob shut – booing is part of the problem, not the cure.

• WWJBD

Dec 19, 2011 at 9:53 AM

spitfire_
    And what does booing achieve? Think Obertan will suddenly cross better because u booed?

• GeordieAnt

Dec 19, 2011 at 9:53 AM

@WWJBD Agreed. HBA hasn’t really impressed me this season, I think he’s still getting up to speed and I have no doubt he’ll be an amazing player for us. Shola has provided strength going forward coming on from the bench. Hence why I think Shola got the call over HBA.
    @traceline What disgusted me more at the game was when they were announcing the teams…when they called Obertans name…there was a massive section of the crowd who just went silent. A lot of my friends disagree with Obertan being in the first team (some don’t even think he should be on the bench) but I honestly think this guy will come good for us. He already has the pace and the skill…just needs work on his end product.

• Indian Magpie

Dec 19, 2011 at 9:55 AM

WWJBD

Shola has had 20 decent minutes, and if you are pinning your hopes on him well then……. fine.

when we draw or loose ppl say that the goal at the begining of the season was top 10, well i must say goals must be revised good start top 8 poor start injuries avoiding relegation that is how it should be

• WallsendLad

Dec 19, 2011 at 9:55 AM

He needs to spend time with a good sports psychologist. He has all the physical attributes but none of the mental ones.

His decision making is bad and he has no composure. He works hard during games and his attitude looks good in other respects.

I have no experience of sports psychology, but there are documented cases of sportsmen improving their performance with such help.

• Indian Magpie

Dec 19, 2011 at 9:58 AM

people say Obertan will come good like Nani and ronaldo. i sincerely hope he does, but SAF never old any of them

• Indian Magpie

Dec 19, 2011 at 10:01 AM

@ geordie ant, if HBA is still getting up to speed why did pardew strart him against the big 3 (to make him look bad)

I agree with you HBA will be amazing but may be not for NUFC

• GeordieAnt

Dec 19, 2011 at 10:01 AM

Indian Magpie. Mate…I would just stop talking now…you lost all credibility the other day with your complete and utter idiocy

• traceline

Dec 19, 2011 at 10:01 AM

@GeordieAnt – really? I wonder if the same section booed / cold shouldered Colo during his first season? Or gutierrez? Or enrique? It’s not going to bloody help is it?

I suppose that’s what I’ve suggested – if you can’t be positive then keep your gob shut – sounds like that’s exactly what sections of the crowd did and it was just as bad (??)

I don’t bloody know – all I do know is that booing one of our own seems counter productive (at least) – it’s not something I’ve EVER done – neither will I…

On further thought – be positive – be supporting – if he then fails it’s on his shoulders alone. He’s got no excuse other than himself.

• WWJBD

Dec 19, 2011 at 10:02 AM

GeordieAnt
    Agreed about HBA mate he will come good but he isnt there at the minute. Obertan still has a load of potential imo and can easily come good but not when people boo him

Indian Mag
    Obviously havent seen Shola this season then with statements like that. And how many minutes has HBA been decent this season in ur opinion?

• jamesnufc86

Dec 19, 2011 at 10:03 AM

It’s a joke booing Obertan , he did really well first half and was our main threat , don’t understand how some of our fans can do that, all it’s going to do is make him nervous and perform cautiously. Some people have no class

• WWJBD

Dec 19, 2011 at 10:04 AM

HBA started agains the top 3 because there was no one else. Best and Shola were injured had Best been fit HBA would of been benched

• spitfire_

Dec 19, 2011 at 10:05 AM

@WWJBD

Booing is a way to express my opinion. As a fan do I have this right or not? And I didn’t expect anything from Obertan.

• GeordieAnt

Dec 19, 2011 at 10:07 AM

@traceline It was an absolute disgrace. I mean what if he heard the whole of SJP cheering for every player…then being half silent when his name was called. I can only hope they were too involved in getting geared for the game otherwise his confidence will have taken a massive knock.

Like you mentioned it was probably the same section that booed Colo, Jonas, and Enrique…but look at where they are now..(excluding Enrique) two of the most loved players in our team, but you’ll always have those “fans” who give total disrespect to our players. In my opinion if you play in that black and white shirt…you deserve our respect.

• WWJBD

Dec 19, 2011 at 10:09 AM

spitfire_
    So u booed him in order to let him know u didnt like his misplaced crosses? Well am sure he appreciated the well thought out feedback and it wont hinder him at all

Imo its a fans duty to support the team and its players. Its not Obertans fault he was picked or his fault he is better in training than the alternatives yet he is booed because he is the managers (and his teams) first choice

• GeordieAnt

Dec 19, 2011 at 10:12 AM

@spitfire. So lemme get this straight….if it was anyone else…Colo, Tiote, Ba etc etc….would you boo them if you didn’t like how they were playing? I think not. Tiote in my opinion didn’t have a great game on Saturday…didn’t hear anyone booing him. What do you honestly think you gain from booing a player? Obertan is gonna be our RW player for the foreseeable future..you gonna keep booing him, or get behind the kid and show him that we still support him and have faith in him

• thebionicMAG

Dec 19, 2011 at 10:16 AM

I can understand why they did it because he has not been producing the goods, but i don’t like to see us booing any player. I kinda naively like to think that our fans are a cut above the rest and are way too good to do that (along with the whole racism thing).

Obertan needs a massive injection of confidence. He has speed and skill of which the latter he doesn’t seem keen on expressing. He just needs to work on his crossing and his general awareness of players around him when making a forward run.

We can now see why Alex Ferguson was happy to sell him. He obviously didn’t think he was going to improve or improve enough to be an asset to the club. I just hope he turns it around and proves him wrong with us.

• taker83

Dec 19, 2011 at 10:19 AM

@WWJBD,
    Amoebi was playing out of skin?Come on pal…He falls more than he dribbles when he gets the ball.Yes He get some goals but it is maybe 1 in 15 games…He is fcking slow, he might be a good player in the championship.
    The Swansea draw was coz of Alan Pardew’s poor tactics and judgement.U can’t bring players in the last ten minutes and expect them to win the game during the match.
    HBA is better at the wings then Obertan that’s for sure.

• catchy in norway

Dec 19, 2011 at 10:20 AM

to be fair to obertan, i think he had his best game, and by game i mean first 45 mins on sat,

i still wont change my opinion on him, he is a very poor footballer, its not just about skill, its about choices, he nearly always makes the wrong one, and when he does make the right choice, its normally followed by a poor cross,

im sorry for all you obertan fans out there that want to give the guy time, how much time should he get, shola has had years, and still disapionts most games,

and on the boing front, how else do you let the managment know how you feel, send them a letter?

what is sad is that sam ameobi, has looked really sharp when ever he has cam on, he is over looked, HBA, he will never get match sharpness if he dont play, vukic, and mendi, all those i have just mentiond have more to there game than obertan,

we have one ov the sharpest strikers in the prem at the mo, and i feel he is getting badly let down by the service from the right,,

• thebionicMAG

Dec 19, 2011 at 10:24 AM

Like I said Obertan lacks confidence. Booing him is going to shatter it completely. Cheering him is going to help far more. We need to get behind our players to help them wring out every morsel of skill and commitment they have.

• bob52

Dec 19, 2011 at 10:25 AM

Obertan did play OK in the first half but faded and seemed scared to run at defenders, his lack of self confidence is there for all to see but why is he keeping out good players who are confident, can run at and beat people. I suggest its because our manager chose him and wants to justify his transfer fee, surely the recent results show its time to play HBA.

• martoon

Dec 19, 2011 at 10:26 AM

While booing is wrong it is understandable. These players are earning more a month (a week in some cases) than most of us do in a year and if it is perceived that they are not trying hard enough then people become very frustrated. I don’t know if it is Obertan’s style or what but he never gives the impression he is trying – e.g. there are times when you feel he could sprint past a defender and get a cross in but he cuts inside instead – as I say very frustrating as was the whole match.

• spitfire_

Dec 19, 2011 at 10:31 AM

@ WWJBD

I said that he have only pace. He can’t do anything else. This anything else is not only crossing. Do you understand now or will continue to twisted my words as you wish?

@GeordieAnt

Yeah right… I boo Obertan only for one game… Get real. So you compare Tiote, Ba and Colo with Obertan… is that so? If Obertan have this kind of contribute for the team like Ba, Colo and Tiote he will recieve soft touch for others like me who doesn’t like him. But until then he have a lot a work to do which i didn’t see to do it. How Cabaye come from France and make instant impact to the team, but Obertan is in England from three season and what?

And I guess that you too are cheering when you see Perch play. Right? Because the booing is bad thing.

• NUFC FOR SALE

Dec 19, 2011 at 10:35 AM

Hows it understandable??? How much they get paid is irrelevant.

Its typical of a large group of our supporters.

We’re meant to be the greatest supporters in the land, do me a favour!

How is booing one of your own players because you didn’t like the way he played being a good supporter?

Problem is we have too many manager wanna bes from people with no football knowledge.

These are the supporters who claim to know it all about football but have never played at any level because they were too busy drinking in bus shelters when they were kids, drinking in pubs when they were teenagers and spend all their time in pubs now.

I’ve been a Newcastle fan for 36 years and yes we can create a fantastic atmosphere but we also can create one of the worst places to be when things aren’t going right.

• NUFC FOR SALE

Dec 19, 2011 at 10:42 AM

Also….

How many decent crosses did Jonas put in yesterday???? or any day for that matter?????

This happens time and time again, when things aren’t going to plan we need a scapegoat and Obertan is being singled out as that scapegoat.

Is this because he’s Ex Man Utd?

Maybe we lay off Jonas because he has lovely flowing locks??? I’ll have a word with Obertan about getting some hair transplants.

• thebionicMAG

Dec 19, 2011 at 10:44 AM

NUFC

What do you mean how is it understandable? Its understandable because at the moment he is poor. Acceptable? No, in my opinion booing him is not acceptable, but understandable yes.

• WWJBD

Dec 19, 2011 at 10:48 AM

spitfire_
    In what way did I twist ur words?

U booed one of OUR players for me thats utterly disgusting.

And for the record I cheer Perch when he plays. In fact I cheer any NUFC player because I support Newcastle and they play for Newcastle I cant justify booing what am a fan of in my head

• NUFC FOR SALE

Dec 19, 2011 at 10:48 AM

No its not.

If Obertan were to lift his shirt and have a sunderland top underneath and we booed, that is understandable.

Booing a player because you didn’t think he had a good game is not understandable at all.

You explain to me how Jonas never gets booed and we’re now having a pop at Obertan.

Jonas has played 120 games for Newcastle, Obertan 14. How many decent crosses has Jonas put into the box in those 120 games??? Does he get booed? Does he hell.

• IPToon

Dec 19, 2011 at 10:56 AM

The fans who boo their own players when the team are 7th in the league, doing a lot better than 99% of the fans thought they would be doing at the start of the season, taking the pressure off the extremely disliked chairman with performances on the pitch, are the ones who dont understand football. Every club has them!

We havent been playing with 10 players, we havent been carrying Obertan, he has been putting in a lot of work, doing more than his fair share and he has been part of a successful team so to those saying he is useless and cant do anything no nothing.

• GeordieAnt

Dec 19, 2011 at 10:57 AM

You know what spitfire….yes I do compare Obertan to Tiote, Ba and Colo….you know why? BECAUSE HE’S A NEWCASTLE PLAYER….therefore I will support each and every single player that walks onto that pitch wearing a black and white shirt regardless of their contribution…while they play for us surely they deserve our support

• catchy in norway

Dec 19, 2011 at 10:57 AM

nufc for sale,

he isnt a scape goat, he just isnt good enough,

answer this, would you have 10 outfield players of his skill level?
    if you say yes then your team would be in the 3rd division very quickly,

players have bad games, and jonas had a shocker at the weekend, but for nearly the whole of this season, anything good that we have created from the wings has came from his side,

AP only plays him cos he bought him, and dosnt want to lose face

• catchy in norway

Dec 19, 2011 at 11:00 AM

one more point

right i agree with support who is in the shirt, but would would you have obertan in that shirt ahead of HBA, marvauxe, vukic, sam ameobi?

• NUFC FOR SALE

Dec 19, 2011 at 11:04 AM

catchy in norway
    14 games, the lad has played 14 games for Newcastle, coming from a club that he spent 2 years and played…..14 games.

So hes played only 28 top competitive games in over 2 years.

He will need time, but because we have supporter who are getting carried away and think we should be challenging a top 4 position they’re not going to allow him the time.

Morons.