Big Test Of Newcastle Character Next Monday At Bolton

Newcastle didn’t look solid last night in defense, and that may be an understatement.

An unhappy Alan Pardew after the game last night

West Brom don’t usually do very well and don’t usually win on Tyneside, and in fact last night was the first win for them at Newcastle since way back in 1977, when I was only just past being middle-aged. :D.

And a frustrated Alan Pardew talked to the local press today:

“We are disappointed – we cannot hide that.” “It was a game we wanted to win and get ourselves 30 points before our Christmas dinner, but it did not happen.”

“Their front two unsettled us a little bit, and made us edgy.” “We lost a bit of discipline in our shape, which was unusual for us.”

“We still did some marvellous stuff and came back twice.” “Haris had a fantastic debut as a 19-year-old. There were positives, but in all honesty we should have done better.”

“We are not sure about Davide. He had just come into the team and settled in. It is disappointing.”

Davide Santon has suffered a knee injury,  and we have to think it’s the one he’s had trouble with before.

Davide had fluid on the knee a few months ago, and it’s an injury that troubled him while he was at Inter-Milan.

The good news is that the Italian  was seen leaving St. James’ Park without a limp last night, and he looked fairly comfortable according to local reports, so we have to hope he was brought off as a precaution, and not too much damage was done.

Davide will be looked at this morning by the Newcastle medical team, and we have to hope he can start at Bolton, because this lad looks a good player at left-back for Newcastle.

It will be another test of Newcastle’s character on Monday afternoon, and of course the first goal will be all important, as it was last night.

But Newcastle must use their team spirit and keep fighting whatever happens on Monday, because the next thing on the agenda for Newcastle this season is to turn  this bad slump around.

That’s the next challenge for this team, and there are always ups and downs in life and in football.

The proof of the pudding is in the eating, and in this case it’s how our lads rise to the challenge that’s right in front of them.

Howay The Lads!!

• ToonDownSouth

Dec 22, 2011 at 4:09 PM

WWJBD

He plays like a £3m right winger lol. And he’s done nothing less than should be expected of a £3m winger in my opinion.

I genuinely thought he was our most threatening player in the first half last night. Didn’t see the match as I was travelling home for xmas, but he made some dangerous runs, put in a couple of balls, and won 2 free kicks in decent positions – 1 of which we scored from :/

• ToonDownSouth

Dec 22, 2011 at 4:10 PM

catchy

Who do you think is a better RW than him?

• catchy in norway

Dec 22, 2011 at 4:17 PM

thump

i think you could give him all the time in the world, he wont improve, you wana know why, he is 22 and carnt cross a ball, this is something you learn a lot earlier than 22,

at 22 he should be learning where he needs to be in a game, when to cut in , when to go outside,

i agree with you on santon, looks quality, i was saying that he needs to think df first, as last night as much as i think he had a great game, he did leave the back wide open, , but switching him to LW , he could do a great job for us, him and little fergi,

for me we need to get rid of 3 players well 4,

perch
    obertan
    best
    strola

• Marty-Toon

Dec 22, 2011 at 4:17 PM

Don’t wanna be pessimist or anything but how can we win away at Bolton when we cannot beat Swansea or WBA at home in our place?

• drongo

Dec 22, 2011 at 4:18 PM

@TDS – could make a case for Raylor if fit…

• WWJBD

Dec 22, 2011 at 4:19 PM

Thump
    Cheers bud

catchy
    If Marv was fit then I would play him over Obertan but he isnt. Sammy is one of the most raw players I have seen, Gutti plays on the left and HBA isnt a winger, neither is Ferguson and Santon is our LB

Who else is there?

TDS
    Exactly we bought him for him to grow into a good winger he has barely played in the PL. He is dangerous during most matches imo and makes space for others…does the HBA thing of running through players, sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt

Booing him helps no end though eh

• catchy in norway

Dec 22, 2011 at 4:21 PM

toon down south

for starters, i think raylor , he is not the quickest, but he can cross,

then you can choose mehdi or sam amiobi, hba , to be honest, you could play loven there,,,

they could all do a much better job,

• catchy in norway

Dec 22, 2011 at 4:25 PM

wwwjdb

i think he is only playing him cos pards bought him, i would have much rather got seb larsen,
    shane long, id have bought him, he looked quality last nigh, him and ba up front,

marv is injurd but he is a lefty anyway, but the others, all could and would do a better job right now,

if anything, pards is damaging him further by playing him more and more

• ToonDownSouth

Dec 22, 2011 at 4:26 PM

Ok, my honest opinion:

Raylor? No way in hell! I know it’s just an opinion, but I think he’s poor there. Especially when we have Simpson who just hoofs it long EVERY time he gets it, we don’t need another player to do the same.

Sammi – I think Sammy is very very similar to Obertan, but not as fast and not as good at tracking back. I think if he was playing every game, we’d be moaning about him instead..

HBA – one of the reasons he left France was because he was fed up of being played on the wing, and I get the feeling Pardew has promissed him he’ll only play him through the middle.

But that’s Pardews decision. I think HBA is the only one mentioned who is a better option, but if Pardew has promised him he won’t play him out wide, then what can you do :/

• ToonDownSouth

Dec 22, 2011 at 4:29 PM

To be fair to those of you who do, I rarely get to games these days – I’m broke, my bad.

But if I paid the £30 for a ticket and £30 for transport for games, then I may get just as frustrated as others.

But booing Obertan is dumb. Especially when he was nowhere near the worst player on our team. Not even close.

It’s like everyone blaming the loss on Perch… REALLY? Perch? He was the reason? I didn’t see it :/

• WWJBD

Dec 22, 2011 at 4:30 PM

catchy
    Well I disagree on that point.

I would of gotten Larsen too but we didnt. Long I begged for but we didnt get him…..for what it counts Id of signed Messi but we didnt not really much point crying about it

Gutti is a righty but plays on the LW

None of them will take Obertans place the only realistic one is Sammy but he isnt able to do the job yet

• drongo

Dec 22, 2011 at 4:30 PM

sameobi isnt up to the job either… yet…

As much as I like the kid I think he got a bit carried away with himself after his U21 call up. Hasnt had quite the same impact since.

Obertan and Sameobi are both young propsects, hopefully one or both will show they can cut it.

To be honest I dont think the powers that be envisaged starting the season with only 1 recognized RW – if you remember the eventful summer Barton only left at the 11th hour. I think they were planning to have a mid 3 of JB, Cab, Tiote then a front 3 of HBA, ba and Jonas.

With Obertan and Marveaux providing competition, and giving options to play a midfield 4 when needed.

• WWJBD

Dec 22, 2011 at 4:32 PM

As for Raylor, imo, he’d just be a worse version of Barton in that area

• MacToon

Dec 22, 2011 at 4:38 PM

Congrats ross armstrong, joining a truely noble family from the North East 😉

• colwell

Dec 22, 2011 at 4:41 PM

Oba’s best game was against Stoke, he played as a proper winger. He stayed quite far up the pitch all game and Stoke couldn’t cope with his pace and he set Ba up. Too get the best from him he needs to be further up the pitch.

I would love Oba and HBA behind Ba with Jonas, Cabaye and Tiote in the midfield.

Jonas is not a winger, no skill, can’t cross or shoot, but he is a great grafter and defends well so instead of wasting him running up the left cutting back and forth then losing it let him work his ass off and let HBA or Oba carry the ball forward.

• phillyg

Dec 22, 2011 at 4:46 PM

Krul
    Simpson-Collo-Willo-Santon
    Tiote
    Obertan Guiti
    HBA – Cabaye
    Ba

Bolton do not have pacey forwards so again no need to panic for a shocking slow looking defence. Willo needs to get the nod over perch as perch will get battered by Bolton’s physical forwards. Ober and guit should maintain on wings with Cabaye and HBA roaming from the CAM role to devastate the slow defence of Bolton. With Cabaye and HBA passing Ba could easily get a hat-trick against any defence. Tiote looks like he did at start of season, so playing time and he will be his usuall brick wall.

Subs would be Sameobi on for obertan or guiti who ever isnt at the races. Vukic or Abied for HBA or Tiote if they aint with the pace. Best or Ameobi on standby in case Ba needs support.

• JD9

Dec 22, 2011 at 4:47 PM

I blame Mike dean for not giving david luiz a red card, that’s why I think where in this bad run.
    I’m pretty sure AP will get the video tapes and stats out to get our defense sorted out. (mainly Perch!!!)

• CaptainGeordie

Dec 22, 2011 at 4:54 PM

If we’re going to blame anyone,blame the whole team ! dont single out one player,one player doesn’t make the team,11 players make a team.

• Robson1979

Dec 22, 2011 at 4:54 PM

For the few fans that booed at the end of the game last night ‘ DONT BOTHER COMING BACK TO SJP ‘ you are not true fans.

My team selection for our away trip to Bolton would be
    Krul

Simmo Perch Colo RTaylor

HBA Tiote Cabaye Santon

Vuckic

Ba

I would rest Jonas as he looks knackard and drop Obertan as he needs a wake up call. Santon can play on the wing and can take players on with good crossing ability the same with HBA. Cabaye and RTayor would take the Corners Free Kicks. Vuckic is good in the air, has pace and has a cracking shot. Ba speaks for himself he is awesome!! Perch played extremely well and hardly put a foot wrong (also he looked hungry and had the desire to win)

I am a season ticket holder and have seen every Newcastle game home and away this season. The team I have chosen is based on what I have seen.

• beefman13

Dec 22, 2011 at 5:06 PM

robson 1979, am ok wi your team but willy for his height against bolton and i would play young fergie everyday of the week over raylor the youngins are the way forwardd no question watsoever they are top notch fergie and vucic with gret left foots, o qualms at all about putting them in. we need attack minded players for this game beacuse it will be a disaster to sit back against a hungry bolton side.

• Thump

Dec 22, 2011 at 5:17 PM

No catchy, he can cross a ball. I shouldn’t have to tell you that there’s a lot more for to football than just kicking the ball with a bit of skill.

In order to play out on the wing, you have to have a lot of confidence – Ober is running low thanks to part time fans and his experience at Man U.

In order to play out on the wing, you have to be patient. Obertan is not patient, he cuts inside and allows himself to be closed down by three players before he thinks about a cross – all this just while he’s waiting for somebody to get into an area.

In order to play out on the wing and have a successful cross (ie: one that connects with a player on your team), you must be able to think very, very quickly – Obertan does not.

I agree, he is very poor for a 22 year old but on the other hand – he’s a 22 year old who, before his move, played 14 times for Manchester United – 14 games in 2 years? What are you expecting him to do? Some players relish these chances and I’m sure he’s glad to see the pitch but the lad needs to work both on and off and shake off whatever confidence issues he has. Look at Routledge, for example – one of our best players in the Championship but nearly always stumbles in the EPL but in fairness, he played well against us the other day.

I honestly think Gabby could do with going to see the club psychologist because he is quality – why else would Man U have bought him?

Also I don’t think Pardew really utilises the wingers. Both of them cut inside and pass into the middle to get the ball into the box. Just something I’ve noticed.

• CaptainGeordie

Dec 22, 2011 at 5:18 PM

Off Subject (Football Related thou)

Has anyone heard off or from John Robson of late ? John Robson is my 3rd cousin,He played for Derby and Aston Villa. He is a Geordie Lad,Any information would help.

• Thump

Dec 22, 2011 at 5:19 PM

@Robson: Did you not hear the rest of the lads singing the Blaydon Races to drown them out? My mate told me it was a couple of tits in the Strawberry corner who were booing and the Gallowgate just piped up.

• HOGC

Dec 22, 2011 at 5:48 PM

for those who said Perch played well, can you pls WAKE UP YOUR IDEA!

If u watched the last 2 goals that we conceded carefully, and PLEASE WATCH IT IN DETAIL, you will see that Perch was the closest to the defender, but he wasn’t even interested in looking out for them, he just wanted to look at where the ball was, defending like an amateur, that is not Prem Class at all. he is shit. and there were a few times when his positioning and reading of the game was so shitty that the West Brom midfielders managed to make a pass that allowed their strikers to run into space. Hardworking lad, but sorry, just not good enough.

And Obertan is really useless in my opinion, i dont think he will ever come good. if you observe him carefully in games, he emits the aura of “i have no confidence in myself”. if you dont even believe in yourself even though others (Alan Pardew) gave you a chance, then you are totally hopeless.

• CaptainGeordie

Dec 22, 2011 at 5:57 PM

The reviews what I have read about James Perch seems like I have watched totally different game,I thought Perch was canny last night,better then Colo was !.

• GeordieGerman

Dec 22, 2011 at 6:12 PM

WWJBD, couldn’t answer earlier. Tattoo machine was buzzing. But thanks for your support on my comment. more people liked it than those who didn’t.

ross armstrong, sorry I’m so late but congratulations mate. Drongo asked if she had a brother with boots? I’ll ask if she has a sister with boots? You know those really long black ones. Latex or leather doesn’t bother me.

• cyprus

Dec 22, 2011 at 6:17 PM

@105 I agree with you. It is Colo that had a bad night, not Perch. But, the fault must fall squarely on AP, not him. Both Colo and Wil. had the same problem last year (and that coach was fired after this opposition). AP should not have played such a high line, thus exposing our captain as slower than their very fast forwards. Chelsea does this too these days, making Terry into an average, slow CB. We should have easily won this game… Why was HBA not started? He must play ENTIRE games. Why was Shola thrown on? (The Tottenham goal will happen again? hmm)Shame, with arguably our most prolific goal-scorer ever (I know, u need to be scoring for years to claim that title) in the team. AP, get your act together dude. Though, definitely no need to panic. Our game was good, bar the tactical aforementioned errors mentioned.

• cyprus

Dec 22, 2011 at 6:22 PM

@95, that’s a joke right? Jonas no skill?! Have u ever played football?

• WWJBD

Dec 22, 2011 at 6:28 PM

GG
    No bother mate it was refreshing compared to what’s normally on here

Off topic Colo shopping in town tonight even walking round HMV he oozes class. Love him!

• davis_toons

Dec 22, 2011 at 6:33 PM

Shola can try training as a CD like Samba. (ST/CD)

• davis_toons

Dec 22, 2011 at 6:33 PM

Samba (CD/ST/FD)

• davybtoon

Dec 22, 2011 at 6:33 PM

You lot hippocrates your calling obertan yet jonas is getting no abuse what so ever, what does jonas do that obertan dosent nothing, we’ve got 2 wingers that don’t cross n when they do there not that good, vukic was the plus last nyt for me deserve to b in the team he’s the only other player that was shooting at goal apart from demba

• davybtoon

Dec 22, 2011 at 6:35 PM

Also Shane long tore colo apart last nyt good job we didn’t buy him as he jus a championship player n there no good ????

• seantoon

Dec 22, 2011 at 6:39 PM

I have to agree 3 key players lastnight just were not on the ball colo, jonas and tiote. Even krul wasn’t on his game his kicking was dreadful but aye there only human! Just hope we bounce back next game. I thought perch and obertan did ok so can’t see why they get critisized every week. Also we done to vuckic did well on his big chance! Gave the ball away a few times but alot of potential there to see.

• GeordieGerman

Dec 22, 2011 at 6:41 PM

davybtoon, Me and a couple of others where screaming for us to get Long. But were told that we knew nowt.

• super magpie

Dec 22, 2011 at 6:43 PM

We need at least 5 players in IMO.
    2Cb
    1Fb
    1RM
    1ST

IF ( really unlikely) we can get good players in these positions we’ re in contention for europe if, not our slide will only get worse

• alex84

Dec 22, 2011 at 6:52 PM

Davy agreed, Jonas has been jus as bad.

• Rotonda heights

Dec 22, 2011 at 6:53 PM

GG,

Carr recommended Long to pardew describing him as ” unmarkable ”. He also recommended wanyama before he signed for Celltic.

• Rotonda heights

Dec 22, 2011 at 6:56 PM

davy

I’m with you on that. Guti despite his work rate has to give the ball away and turnover possession more than any player I know.

As for Obi, I think we should try him in the middle as a striker and don’t make him worry about crossing all the time.

• martoon

Dec 22, 2011 at 7:01 PM

GG I thought you said you did not want us to play the ‘Long’ ball 🙂