Coloccini Was Worried About Relegation This Season

A very good interview in the Newcastle Journal today with Fab Coloccini, the Newcastle captain.

Coloccini – surprised at how well Newcastle have done

And the Argentine International confesses he was more worried about relegation this season than anything else.

During the summer there were a number of things being written in about possible relegation after Newcastle has lost Kevin Nolan, Jose Enrique and Joey Barton in the summer, and had already lost Andy Carroll last January.

Since those were four of Newcastle very best players it was logical to wonder if Newcastle would struggle this season.

But Newcastle got off to their joint best ever starts to a season,  after being unbeaten after 11 games, with seven wins and four draws and 25 points on the board.

But in the last six games we have picked up only two draws, but hope to arrest the slide on Monday afternoon at Bolton.

Coloccini talked about the season:

“I have been surprised at how well we have done. A little bit but, yes, it has been a surprise,”

“When we first started the season we were thinking ‘Let’s take points quickly’ because we were thinking of relegation and staying clear of the bottom of the table. “

“But then we started to play, we played well and got results and now we look at the other end of the table.”

“I feel I have more of an English mentality now,” “We live here, my family live here, my kids go to school here. Maybe in Spain our dinner was at 10, 10.30pm.”

“Now at 7, 8 in the evening we have to have dinner because the kids are so tired.” “It is a big change in my life – there are no more siestas! I love living in England.”

“I love the English people and the culture too. It is a fantastic country and I am lucky to be in a city I love.”

Coloccini is still negotiating a new contract that will see him stay at the Newcastle club for the next five years – if he signs it.

But the negotiations are ongoing and he had little officially to say about the new contract other than  saying  “we’ll see what happens”, which is not giving anything away of course.

But with his family being completely integrated into the English way of life,  and his wife enrolled in taking some college courses in Newcastle, we have to hope he wants to stay on Tyneside for the rest of his career.

And he can then help Newcastle to become a great team again.

• pardew no 1

Dec 24, 2011 at 9:55 AM

well sign the contract and don’t be greedy

• Brutooon

Dec 24, 2011 at 10:01 AM

We will never win the next 3 games and will never win until february

Relegation – here we come!

• GeordieAnt

Dec 24, 2011 at 10:07 AM

@ Pardew no 1 – It isn’t to do with being greedy…I think he needs to weigh everything up…for example the orphanage in Argentina he funds. That can’t be cheap. To be honest we don’t know the terms of the contract, could be one of the terms that is the stumbling block.

@Brutooon – Ahhh I see you’ve moved on from slagging off the players and now have joined with the relegation neggers in saying we’re gonna get relegated…for fecks sake we’ve lost 4 games this season. So we’re on a bad run of form. A TRUE Newcastle fan wouldn’t sit saying we are gonna get relegated. Mate…honestly I think you need to pack up your computer and take it back to the shop you bought it from, because honestly…idiots like you shouldn’t be let loose with a computer

• jarnytoon

Dec 24, 2011 at 10:10 AM

Relegation?? WTF?? 6 without a win?? so what?? we’ve only lost 4 games all season?!? hardly relegation form?

A new CB and Forward in jan n we’re all cushty!

• pardew no 1

Dec 24, 2011 at 10:10 AM

brutoon stop being excited its only Christmas eve what you like on the day

• GeordieAnt

Dec 24, 2011 at 10:15 AM

Ok for some reason my first post was deleted. So I’ll try again…

@Pardew no 1 – I don’t think it’s to be with being greedy. Colo loves the club…there must be some kind of stumbling block, maybe something to do with the orphanage he funds back in Argentina, or maybe some of the terms in the contract.

@Brutooon – I see you have stopped insulting our players, and instead have joined the neggers in saying we’re gonna be relegated. Damn man….we’ve lost 4 games all season. Why don’t you and the rest of your negger friends go crawl back into the hole you came from, and let us TRUE Newcastle fans continue to support our team, because surely a TRUE Newcastle fan wouldn’t sit there saying we’re gonna get relegated

• GeordieAnt

Dec 24, 2011 at 10:17 AM

Oh….maybe we should start calling you BruLooon….because seriously mate….you’ve gotta be at least a little hint of crazy with some of the comments you come out with

• Dannyo

Dec 24, 2011 at 10:18 AM

All i want for christmas is Vertonghen and Collo on a new contract 😉
    Also for Brutoon coming out of the closet as a mackem.

• GeordieAnt

Dec 24, 2011 at 10:20 AM

Lmao…Dannyo….would make sense like. That would explain why he hates Shola so much…because Shola always has to knock a few in the back of the net against the mackems

• Dannyo

Dec 24, 2011 at 10:22 AM

Geordiant
    lol, i didn’t even make that connection, poor lad, he has it tough.

• GeordieAnt

Dec 24, 2011 at 10:24 AM

Yeah….maybe from now on we shouldn’t be insulting him…instead we should feel sorry for him….after all he does have a serious mental illness….supporting the mackems

• craigTnufc

Dec 24, 2011 at 10:29 AM

Collo is a negger haha!

• WWJBD

Dec 24, 2011 at 10:40 AM

Enquiry for Vertonghen? Ah the transfer window fun of deciding if I believe what the company papers say or waiting until reports in *insert country* say they have never heard of Newcastle United….

Oh and relegation shouts….after 4 losses all season….directly after playing the top 3, completely dominating Swansea and being pretty unlucky against West Brom (whom we underestimated imo). Have a word with urself son

• Stuart

Dec 24, 2011 at 10:40 AM

Brutoon – I want you to tell me exactly how you came to the conclusion we are going to get relegated?

Unless you give a valid reason you will be henceforth known as the biggest mug on this blog.

• Marty-Toon

Dec 24, 2011 at 10:41 AM

Bruloon of Kentucky lol
    Seriously,you are either damaged or a wolf in sheeps clothing (scumberland fan)

• The Ghost of St.James Past

Dec 24, 2011 at 10:42 AM

Think Colo has been found out wee bit over the past couple of games. He definitely needs another quality CB next to him (Steven Taylor was immense before his injury). Hope we sign somebody to fill that gap in Jan and for Colo to put pen to paper.

• GeordieAnt

Dec 24, 2011 at 10:49 AM

@ Stuart…what do you mean henceforth? He’s already known as the biggest mug on this blog along with his best friends and probably fellow mackems Indian Magpie and gorgonzola

• cyprus

Dec 24, 2011 at 10:50 AM

Wow, talk of relegation with like 13 points needed? Come on guys, lighten up and keep looking up! Our last 2 games weren’t bad, in fact we previously won games when we played worse. We could’ve and should’ ve won at least 1 of those 2. And, had we won or drawn the last one we would’ve been talking about our never say die attitude. Merry xmas and best of luck Ed.

• Stuart

Dec 24, 2011 at 10:52 AM

Haha, true GeordieAnt!

• WWJBD

Dec 24, 2011 at 10:54 AM

• Brutooon

Dec 24, 2011 at 11:03 AM

Come on guys, Chill up !!! Its Xmas for God Sake

I am just testing your XMAS Spirit

I am expressing that without Demba Ba, i can’t see where the goals going to come from – just being PESSIMISTIC

I want a James Perch Doll – anyone can buy me one???

• GeordieAnt

Dec 24, 2011 at 11:04 AM

@ WWJBD – What a guy eh? You just can’t help but love the man. True geordie hero, and a fantastic example of how someone who has money should act rather than being stuck up their own backsides

• GeordieAnt

Dec 24, 2011 at 11:06 AM

@ Brutooon – testing our xmas spirit? How about every single moronic comment you put on here bad mouthing the players? What spirit are you testing there?

Guys I think we’ve got him worried….I think he knows we’re on to him and know he’s a mackem in disguise…all coming out now aint it Bru?

• Stuart

Dec 24, 2011 at 11:10 AM

If Brutoon is actually a geordie and not scum in disguise (which could be true as he seems to be illiterate) I would be gutted. Not the type of fan any team would want, in just the past few weeks hes slagged off half the team, called for us to lose games and today said we’re going to get relegated.

How is that supporting your team?

• GeordieAnt

Dec 24, 2011 at 11:16 AM

@Stuart. Exactly mate. I think I would feel exactly the same. “The Greatest Supporters in the world” – Brutooon you and your little friends are a disgrace to that title….now….if we’re all correct and you are in fact a mackem. Get back to your own blog…..if the mackems are literate enough to write one

• GeordieGerman

Dec 24, 2011 at 11:17 AM

It’s like Ba says. If the last 6 games where the first and the fist eleven where the last. We’d be ecstatic.

• WWJBD

Dec 24, 2011 at 11:20 AM

GeordieAnt
    Exactly mate hes the rarest of things these days a classy gent in football. I pray he signs another contract for us ends his career with us and then trains our young uns

Brutooon
    Testing our xmas spirit by saying we are going to get relegated….right lad whatever floats ur boat but u wont end up with many fans around here

• Rotonda heights

Dec 24, 2011 at 11:24 AM

Ghost

I had never previously been a huge Saylor fan as he was and still is prone to making some daft challenges, but my god he must have been doing somethng right, because he’s been a massive miss.

• Wandering Geordie

Dec 24, 2011 at 11:29 AM

The Humbuggers on this forum are full of their usual negative thoughts…For gods sake we are suffering a small blip….Any team would, having the back four unsettled…Be positive and get behind them …Oh Happy Xmas all…from me in Lima, Peru

• GeordieGerman

Dec 24, 2011 at 11:36 AM

Wandering Geordie, same to you.

• jimmymagpie

Dec 24, 2011 at 11:36 AM

Of course we aren’t going to get relegated, but, IF we don’t get a decent centre back and striker in January, I seriously doubt our ability to stay in the top half. Best played for over 2 hours against Swansea and West Brom, and had 1 very weak shot on target, and it will be down to him and Shola when Ba disappears.

• Obafan

Dec 24, 2011 at 11:39 AM

Rotonda Heights

I have got the exact same feeling here. I always thought Saylor was an average player, making lots of silly mistakes. But this season he has been immense for us. And now we see it very clearly.

As a Belgian I hope we could land Vertonghen; he is a really good player who also is able to score a few goals. He is strong in the air and his left foot is a rocket. But to be honnest I can’t see him coming to us. Also Douglas is a very good CB.

My team for Monday would be:
    Krul
    Simmo – Willo – Colo – Santon (if not injured)
    Ben Arfa – Tiote – Cabaye – Gutierrez
    Vuckic – DEMBA BA

I would play Ben Arfa as a winger, cause IMO that is his best position and Vuckic deserves to be in the team after the Brom game. But I fear Pardew will play

Krul
    Simmo – Perch – Colo – Raylor
    Obertan – Tiote – Cabaye – Gutierrez
    Ameobi – Demba Ba

• Obafan

Dec 24, 2011 at 11:39 AM

And happy Christmas to all of you!!!!

• jimmymagpie

Dec 24, 2011 at 11:40 AM

You can’t just write current happenings off as a small blip, when some of you were forecasting 12 points in the present run of games. You can write off Liverpool and Man U, so if we don’t win at Bolton, that will be 9 games without a win, and that is poor in anybody’s language.

• Stuart

Dec 24, 2011 at 11:42 AM

Why do we have to write off liverpool and man u like jimmy? We just drew with Man U last time we played them and we beat and drew with Liverpool last season.

• catchy in norway

Dec 24, 2011 at 11:43 AM

i got to agree with colo,

i think 2 players have suprised me by how goo thery are and without them we would be in trouble,,

cabaye, pure class, love watching, has everything in his game

ba, wow, he gets better and better, being let down by our wing play,

• dmac

Dec 24, 2011 at 11:44 AM

Jan verthongen (bad spelling) will most likely sign for arsenal if he is to move. Used to play with Vermaelen at ajax still plays with him for Belguim i think our odds would be slim competing against them tbh. I think we will sign a defender just feel its more likely to be a tomkins,ridgewell or onouha someone relatively cheap.

• GeordieGerman

Dec 24, 2011 at 11:44 AM

Obafan same to you.

• catchy in norway

Dec 24, 2011 at 11:47 AM

stuart,

i agree,, i always write games off against them and che/ ars, if we get anything its a bonas,

• dmac

Dec 24, 2011 at 11:48 AM

Swans hopeful of signing Darnel Situ in Jan, why we never got him is beyond me.