Ben Arfa’s Goal For The Fans – Davide Santon Returns At Liverpool

It’s obvious that Ben Arfa was simply delighted with his sub appearance yesterday at the Reebok Stadium.

Ben Arfa – getting towards being fully fit

The Frenchman came on after 61 minutes and changed the game for Newcastle, and he got the very important first goal on 69 minutes with an exhibition of  his great skill.

Ben Arfa hit the ball home first time into the back of the net with his left foot,  from Ryan Taylor’s almost perfect left wing cross, after Ryan had been put through down the left by Yohan Cabaye.

Ben Arfa has said today he’s now coming into full fitness and he will show the Newcastle fans a lot more as he gets more playing time – we believe him:

“I want to make something clear,”  “I’m nearly 100 per cent fit and if I play, I will show more to the fans and more to the club.”

“I heard the fans singing my name before I came on. It feels really good. The news I can give them is that I’m now close to being 100 per cent fit.”

“The game was very nice for me and I’m so happy to see us pick up three important points. Everything the team did at Bolton was brilliant.”

“I was very happy to see the ball hit the back of the net,” “The main thing for me was to see the fans reacting behind the goal.”

“That was the most pleasing thing for me – it was a goal for not just me, but for them also. It was really comforting to see the fans applauding me.”

And there was more good news today that the knee injury of  youngster Davide Santon  is not serious, and a scan had revealed there is no damage to the knee.

Davide Santon – back for Liverpool

So Davide will be available to come back in at left back against Liverpool at Anfield on Friday night, as the Italian slowly gets acclimatized to the English way of playing the game.

This is what manager Alan Pardew said about the 20 year-old Italian International today:

“Santon’s knee wasn’t as bad we as thought,” Pardew told the Gazette. “I left him out against Bolton, but I think he’ll be back for Liverpool.”

Those words suggests that Davide could start the game at Liverpool,  after  two and a half games for Newcastle, in which he impressed at left back for the Magpies and looked an excellent player in the amking.

We also expect Ben Arfa to start on Friday night in place of Leon Best, although Leon worked his socks off for the Newcastle cause yesterday for an hour.

It was a great win for Newcastle and hopefully we can build on that at Anfield.

Comments welcome.

• GeordieToon89

Dec 27, 2011 at 6:21 PM

Dame N’Doye looks a decent striker he’s Ba’s senegal team mate.. scored 67 goals in 121 appearances for Copenhagen

• roshan MAGPIE

Dec 27, 2011 at 6:24 PM

i think PARDEw will play the same starting 11 against liverfool and will bring on after 60 min if every thing goes right

• roshan MAGPIE

Dec 27, 2011 at 6:26 PM

i think PARDEw will play the same starting 11 against liverfool and will bring BEN ARFA after 60 min if every thing goes right

• Toonboy_83

Dec 27, 2011 at 6:26 PM

Cant agree with that statement that Leon Best worked his socks off for 60mins… he was absolutely useless he looked lethargic and selfish for the entire 60 minutes he played; I don’t thick there was a single newcastle supporter who wasn’t relieved when he was taken off.

• Toonboy_83

Dec 27, 2011 at 6:27 PM

Unfortuantely Roshan, I agree.

• JackButler

Dec 27, 2011 at 6:33 PM

I don’t see why we don’t start with Benny then after an hour if he’s blowing replace him with Vukic or Best if we want to revert to a 4-4-2

• GeordieToon89

Dec 27, 2011 at 6:36 PM

Must say a agree with you on Best Toonboy a think he was really bad against Bolton but Dannyo pointed out the other day that he only really shines when hes the main man and the one getting the plaudits, a think he’s maybe lacking a little bit in terms of his mind being elsewhere because of Ba getting everything because Best was doing very well before his injury he just wasnt scoring a think all it will take is a goal and he’ll be back which is why a think Pardew is keeping him in because he knows he needs a goal especially when Ba goes away wer going to need all the help we can get

• GeordieToon89

Dec 27, 2011 at 6:38 PM

Jack – Thats what a would rather do, Start Benny then if he starts slacking after an hour or so we can quite easily replace him but thers a better chance he’ll be creating things than slacking

• LAME PERCH

Dec 27, 2011 at 6:40 PM

Looks like dirty harry wants jan vertonghen at his small club spurs, hope its not true.

• JackButler

Dec 27, 2011 at 6:40 PM

GT89

the Swansea came was perfect for him, we created very little and had no spark, I know its a long road for his recovery but between him and Vukic they can cover that position easily, after all Vukic was excellent against West Brom

• Ponderous Pardew

Dec 27, 2011 at 6:41 PM

In my opinion, Jonas needs a rest, he’s looked leggy recently and has lost that zip of pace. I’d play Santon on the LW, but I know that won’t happen.

The only change I foresee being a possibility, albeit an unlikely one, is HBA for Best.

• GeordieToon89

Dec 27, 2011 at 6:51 PM

Ponderous Pardew – A personally think Jonas is carrying a little bit weight think he needs to tone down a little, he had a rest when he got suspended and the two 2 week international breaks

• LAME PERCH

Dec 27, 2011 at 6:52 PM

Ben arfa will surely start on friday @11. Agree jonas needs a rest. I would play

————————-krul—————————
    —-simo——–willo——colo——–santo—-
    —obertan——-toto——cabaye—raylor–
    —————-benny——baaaaaa—————

• JackButler

Dec 27, 2011 at 6:54 PM

Why not start with Fergie???
    He’s fit again and been on the bench the past couple of games

• GeordieToon89

Dec 27, 2011 at 6:54 PM

Jack – Benny would be starting every game for me he needs to start games to get upto speed coming on doesnt really do it cos the other teams gettin tired plus its harder for him to make a good impact coming into a game rather than starting a game and getting a feel for it early on

• GeordieToon89

Dec 27, 2011 at 6:57 PM

Jack – Fergies still being nurtured into the left back position so be too risky to start him left back against pools,

Lame Perch – A would swap Santon and Raylor round, a think Santon could be a Bale type player for us if he was played on the wing which is his old position he’d also do defensive work like Bale aswel

• danishmag

Dec 27, 2011 at 7:00 PM

GeordieToon89 // Dec 27, 2011 at 6:21 PM

He is good in the danish premier league.
    But the defenders of the league is not nearly the same as the english premier league!
    I´d say the level is at champion ship level!

N´Doye is no better than Best!

• JackButler

Dec 27, 2011 at 7:00 PM

For me putting Fergie at left back is a waste of his ability, he showed enough last season for me to believe that he will offer more as an old fashioned winger

• GeordieToon89

Dec 27, 2011 at 7:10 PM

danishmag – Cheers mate ive never really seen anything of him just his records pretty good… if wer desperate for an african to partner Ba a would love it to be either Sow/Cisse or Doumbia

• GeordieToon89

Dec 27, 2011 at 7:11 PM

Need For Speed – The Run is immense

• Ponderous Pardew

Dec 27, 2011 at 7:12 PM

GT89 – You’re right, he could be carrying a bit of timber. Maybe we’re just reading too much into it and it’s just a dip in form.

Anyone else think Onuoha is an absolute must at 3m? I can see us going back in for Erding too.

• CaptainGeordie

Dec 27, 2011 at 7:12 PM

It is a risk to put Ryan Taylor at left back, When you have Glen Johnston attacking you…

• nightfa11

Dec 27, 2011 at 7:12 PM

just start with santon…if pardew plays taylor well be watching bellamy show for 95 min.

• GeordieToon89

Dec 27, 2011 at 7:21 PM

Ponderous Pardew – A think Onuoha would be a class signing his preferred position is CB buts he’s also awesome at RB hes very powerful and loves a good tackle and a mission forward class in the air aswell plus he’s English

• angelswithdirtyfaces

Dec 27, 2011 at 7:26 PM

GT89 & JB

Better to bring on your impact players like HBA on as subs than start them. Reckon Fool will do that with Bellamy. We’ll need Best when Ba goes to ACN, so it’s important to keep him match sharp rather than use him as a sub if HBA runs out of steam as he’ll then take us down a gear. Pardew has to keep Best motivated and confident so he’ll knock a few in during January. It’s not just about the next game..
    Having said that – I’d be inclined to run Benny out right after half time, especially if we’re one up. It’s good to change your shape a wee bit when the opposition are chasing the game.

• Ponderous Pardew

Dec 27, 2011 at 7:28 PM

GT89 – Aye, he’s very much like Micah Richards. Only being frozen out because he spoke out about some of his mangers methods, I believe.

• sirtoongospel

Dec 27, 2011 at 7:38 PM

Best worked his socks off??? He hasn’t done that in any game since he joined us. Even when he was scoring. Ba is the hardest working center forward in in the Prem looking at the stats each game, is it any coincidence that his work rate is rewarded with goals?

In January, we need a forward and 2 defenders, completely agree with Onuoah, and Vertonghen sounds quality.

• mattyNUFC

Dec 27, 2011 at 7:39 PM

angels,

but best isn’t match sharp. Of course there’s in argument in getting him up to speed but “lethargic and selfish” is a spot on description of his involvment over the past three games or so. As mentioned also, before his little injury he wasn’t scoring but he was up there with the top performers in the team….right now that’s not the case. On form, it has to be HBA or Vuckic who start, and, even though folks are raving about Vuckic’s performance against WBA, for the first 25 minutes I forgot he was on the pitch and he had a tendency to go missing. For me, CM is way too deep for Haris. He’s a number 10 like HBA and HBA more than edges him out right now. The team should ALWAYS be picked on form if we’re given that luxury and, for our attack, injuries are not compromising that selection. No brainer, HBA should get the shot over Best right now.

On another note, I think a nice little break is what Best needs. I’ve been excited to see what he can do with HBA as we all know that Ba likes to play deep. Best will be holding the line giving HBA a better option instead of having to play the ball flat or in many instances backwards while he waits for Ba to get forward.

• mattyNUFC

Dec 27, 2011 at 7:45 PM

and i don’t agree with the sentiment of bringing him on as an impact player, not any longer. It’d be better if he could dictate from the get-go a passing game instead of the crap we’ve been subject to for the past two games. It’s just been atrocious football if i’m honest. Bring him off if need be, but our passing game that had been missing for the first sixty minutes yesterday at least started to emerge with HBA. He made all the players around him better, and I don’t think many could argue with that

• angelswithdirtyfaces

Dec 27, 2011 at 7:50 PM

Matty NUFC

HBA is still not 90 minutes fit.
    And its even more important to get Best in scoring mode asap. If the minor knock plus being somewhat off form beforehand means Best is going to be off for us during January then Pardew has to get him up to speed pdq. Realistically we ain’t going to pair Vuckic and HBA up front with AN other so we need Best – unless you want Strolla heading the line ?

• angelswithdirtyfaces

Dec 27, 2011 at 7:54 PM

Mind you once we have a new quality CF then Besty will be squad back up – but not just yet.

• JackButler

Dec 27, 2011 at 8:03 PM

GeordieToon89 // Dec 27, 2011 at 7:11 PM

Need For Speed – The Run is immense
    —————————————–
    My son has got me addicted to MW3 Team Death Match, wife reckons I’m the biggest kid in the house 🙂

• geoff777

Dec 27, 2011 at 8:03 PM

Good luck to Joey Barton’s lass.

Joey’s tweeted that she’s just gone into labour.

• CaptainGeordie

Dec 27, 2011 at 8:05 PM

Jack,do you play in on xbox or Ps3 mate ?.

• JackButler

Dec 27, 2011 at 8:06 PM

Xbox

• CaptainGeordie

Dec 27, 2011 at 8:06 PM

*It on

• CaptainGeordie

Dec 27, 2011 at 8:07 PM

Whats your gaming tag,Jack ? .

• JackButler

Dec 27, 2011 at 8:08 PM

JupiterFiend1

• CaptainGeordie

Dec 27, 2011 at 8:09 PM

Nice one,mine is WorCiaran.

• JackButler

Dec 27, 2011 at 8:11 PM

Will keep an eye out for you, I’m quite deadly for an old man lol