Alan Pardew Would Take Carroll Back At The Right Price

Alan Pardew has talked about possibly taking Andy Carroll back to Newcastle.

Andy Carroll – while still at Newcastle

During his many interviews yesterday,  Alan was asked what he thought of Andy Carroll, and he said that Andy was still a good player and any thought that he would not make it at Liverpool was silly.

Andy could become a big threat at Liverpool tomorrow, and it will be Mike Williamson, who will be the main Newcastle defender to go up against Andy in the air,  when those crosses  come over.

Can you imagine what it would have been like if Coloccini and Williamson had not been available for this game, as at Norwich City  a few weeks ago – Andy would have had a field day tomorrow.

This is what Alan had to say about Andy Carroll yesterday:

“You never want to lose great players and we never wanted to lose him. I would take him back if I had the chance. If the fee was not as high as it was, then he would still be here.”

“It was a decision, as a football manager, which was a very difficult one for me.” “I was 60-40 for keeping him, but for the finances of the club there was a strong opinion upstairs.”

“They are my employers. We all looked each other in the eye and said it was going to have to happen.”

“He is a young player and all young players need confidence – strikers particularly. Sometimes you need to stay with them.”

“He had games here when he was not brilliant over the course of the season but he was a very important player to this club. The best years for Andy are still ahead of him.”

“Going into the European Championships with England, I don’t know many teams who would like to see Andy Carroll on the England team-sheet, but he has to play himself into the squad.”

“It is fair to say he has not done that. He needs opportunities and a platform to do that also. Maybe with Suarez’s suspension that will be his opportunity.”

Newcastle would take Carroll back only if the price was something Newcastle were looking to pay for their new striker,   which we think at tops would be around £10M, and of course that’s never going to happen with Andy.

And it’s far too early to write off Andy Carroll,  and Liverpool manager Kenny Dalglish, who made Alan Shearer a lot better at Blackburn,  knows that only too well.

Andy has the right temperament and is strong mentally,  so he should be able to stand up to the pressure on him on Merseyside.

And just remembering  the Blackburn game on Monday, Andy could easily have scored three goals, and Blackburn goalkeeper Mark Bunn  made two excellent saves directly from Carroll, one in the last few  seconds of the game, otherwise Andy would have been the hero.

So it will not take much for Andy to get back on track – but we just hope he doesn’t start doing that tomorrow night against his old team Newcastle.

Comments welcome.

• Brutooon

Dec 29, 2011 at 11:04 AM

HELL NO !!!

1) Shearer choose NUFC than a move to Man Utd to win Trophies

2) Carroll was given the LEGENDARY No 9 shirt but he rather move to Liverpool (mainly because the money)

Difference between legend and wannabe legends

• Indian Magpie

Dec 29, 2011 at 11:04 AM

10 million for andy carroll, i doubt with his increased wages

• ToonIcon

Dec 29, 2011 at 11:05 AM

theres no way we could afford Carroll back as it seems we wont pay more than around 5 mill for a player these days
    even though Carroll’s had a bad time at the bindippers and there fans are turning on him they wont take a 30 million loss

• alex84

Dec 29, 2011 at 11:05 AM

ooo…difficult one, for me with Andy to get the best out of him you must play to his strength’s…balls whipped in early into the box, lots of aerial service, now when we have Ben arfa playing we dont play that way so not sure our new style of play would fit Andy…unless we played ba and Carroll.

• Indian Magpie

Dec 29, 2011 at 11:09 AM

alex84

I agree but i remember last year HBA saying he was studying andy carroll’s style. so i dont think there should be a problem there.

however i think taking him back would be a backward move for him and NUFC

• markmac

Dec 29, 2011 at 11:09 AM

its just daft talk, liverpool wouldnt sell a 35m striker on the cheap just because he hasnt bagged 20 goals already

• ToonIcon

Dec 29, 2011 at 11:10 AM

From no striker yesterday to 12k for this lad from bognor
    anyone else wandering if the 12k be a sticking point ?

• geoff777

Dec 29, 2011 at 11:11 AM

The transfer had little to do with Andy.

It was the horrible duo’s greed.

Pardew was 60-40 for keeping him. LOL.
    Pardew gave the nod for his sale so that tipped to at least 49-51 at some point.

Pardew’s a puppet on the buying and selling of players but doesn’t want to admit it.

I feel sorry for Maiga and Sochaux who they screwed around for months unsettling their player and then lying about his medical.

• alex84

Dec 29, 2011 at 11:12 AM

true…this would never happen any way.

• Kris

Dec 29, 2011 at 11:13 AM

About Jason Prior – the lad is 23 years and plays in level 7 in England right?…he will never take the step up in the premiership at that age…Could be MA’s nephew aswell…

• alex84

Dec 29, 2011 at 11:15 AM

stop with the puppet talk…he aint no puppet, this is his job and in all jobs except for the lucky ones…you have bosses, where sometimes you have to do things you dont want to please the company/club/boss. AP has done a fantastic job with the squad, no one can take that away from him.

• geoff777

Dec 29, 2011 at 11:21 AM

@Alex84

Pardew gave a 100% guarantee we’ll sign a striker promise to the fans in late August.

Last week Ashley asked him when will he be signing a CB?

Now we aren’t signing a striker in this window but going for a CB.

I don’t think Pardew has much input on the signings.
    In fact I think he has about zero influence … although the Prior deal might be his … lol.

• ronaldeano

Dec 29, 2011 at 11:22 AM

Would anyone have Carroll back here in a straight swap deal with Tiote?
    I’m not saying I want that to happen, I want to know what you all would think if it happened?

• LAME PERCH

Dec 29, 2011 at 11:24 AM

jason prior will b our replacement for AC . neva know jason might turn out to be a hidden tresure 🙂

• geoff777

Dec 29, 2011 at 11:27 AM

@ronaldeano

I think that would be about a fair swap.

Would I do it …? Yes. Carroll and Ba would be a very scary strike force.

Abeid & Guthrie can cover for Tiote.

We could get top four with Carroll & Ba on form.

• Jail for Ashley

Dec 29, 2011 at 11:36 AM

(sorry repost)
    Rotunda,
    As you correctly assumed I havent read the last five years accounts,and even if I had ,not being an accountant I probably wouldn’t understand them,and even if I could understand them from what I know about MA and his dealings I probably wouldnt believe them,you’re obviously a very clever chap could you perhaps explain to me how West Ham have cleared £30 million of debt,yet you and a few others still claim that we are indebted to MA for the original sum he lent the club,are you implying that the £130 million he used to buy the club was also a loan.

• solano

Dec 29, 2011 at 11:47 AM

Hell No! It would mean the embarrassing sight of all the worms coming out and calling him the “Messiah” when they were calling him “Judas” since his departure.
    Carroll ruined his career by letting himself be manouevred into a move by his agent and both clubs…it’s a crying shame that NUFC never benefitted from the windfall that was promised. (cue..pipefitting anoraks and expensive free agent advocates to deny the last claim)

• jimmymagpie

Dec 29, 2011 at 11:47 AM

Brutoon @ 1 and Geoff @ 12 – 100% agree.

• Shot Bru

Dec 29, 2011 at 11:55 AM

I wouldn;t wanna see him back for various reasons

-Totally overrated except for his aerial ability.
    -Would encourage some of our less technically gifted players to play hoofball even more than they do already
    – He isn’t professional enough outside of the game which affects his fitness.
    -Plus he is doing a fine job at Liverpool heaping more pressure on Dogleash for wasting £35 million on a player that no-one wants.

• Toonboy_84

Dec 29, 2011 at 11:59 AM

@13

I’d swap him for perch and smith 😉

• DarloGeordie

Dec 29, 2011 at 12:01 PM

Jason Prior LMFAO why is he even being mentioned in the same sentence as our SMALL club seems to me someone is taking the Le Tiss today.

Carroll won’t happen either it will cost too much afterall we cant afford Maiga and a defender in Jan, it’s just a defender at most that we will sign.

• BelfastMagpie87

Dec 29, 2011 at 12:03 PM

I would take him back for 5/6 million.

Knowing Ashley & Llambias it would take about 2 years & probly the sale of Tiote & a few others to find the money to bring him back.lol

• Toon Tang

Dec 29, 2011 at 12:08 PM

if we beat scouse 6-0 we will go 5th

come on lads we can do it. toon toon b & w army

• Jail for Ashley

Dec 29, 2011 at 12:21 PM

Was supposed to be going to Anfield tomorrow but stuck on an oil rig coz the weathers too bad to get us off,hmphhhh

• ge08dey

Dec 29, 2011 at 12:26 PM

Can’t help but agree with some of the posts today.Pardew is just Ashley’s puppet and says what he’s told to say,he only got the job because no one else would work for so little and he must have been a mate of Ashleys as well.We’re only doing really well this year thanks to Graham Carr and the scouting network who have unearthed some gems. Pardew’s imput poor team selection poor substitutions and spouting rubbish.I hope this isn’t seen to be negative because I also think the reserves and youths are doing brilliantly and the players selected for the first team do their very best.

• london_mag

Dec 29, 2011 at 12:28 PM

I personally would love him to come back. It was a mistake that should never have happened.

Does anyone actually know if he wanted to go and was he forced etc? it was all a bit vague at the time

• Jail for Ashley

Dec 29, 2011 at 12:29 PM

I know Carr is doing a great job,but who are all these gems,people talk like there is this endless list of talent that is now on our books down to him.

• GeordieGerman

Dec 29, 2011 at 12:30 PM

london_mag, you’ve opened a can of worms now.

• london_mag

Dec 29, 2011 at 12:32 PM

im starting to really fear this transfer window.
    I imagine tiote is gone but its Colocinni, Ba and Krul im really worried about. You think theyll stay?

• ge08dey

Dec 29, 2011 at 12:32 PM

To continue from 25 its about time Ashley released some of the money he’s amassing fom the club and supporters,to help the club go foreward.

• Jail for Ashley

Dec 29, 2011 at 12:46 PM

PS: NUFC MD Derek Llambias, speaking on BBC Radio Newcastle, November 11th 2011 (before Steven Taylor’s season-ending injury):

“We have had an exceptional year, and long may it continue, but the fans want us to buy more players.

“We need to bring in a striker in January, we will need replacements in the summer and we need to give ourselves as much as possible so our stategy is to let the fans think a striker is coming in,sell a load more season tickets that wouldn’t have been sold otherwise then change our minds when the money is in the bank,I dont think the fans realised how f*c*^ng horrible we can be”

• angelswithdirtyfaces

Dec 29, 2011 at 12:52 PM

Brutoon @ 1

First sensible thing I’ve seen you post for ages 🙂 lol

Geoff 777

Don’t shoot Pardew he’s only the piano player.
    I’m sure he wants the three players he highlighted in the summer but the upstairs have vetoed it

• geoff777

Dec 29, 2011 at 1:00 PM

@angelswithdirtyfaces

I don’t understand your point, you seem to be agreeing with me.

The problem is Pardew seems to want the fans and general public to think he’s in the loop, when the facts and history seem to indicate he has very little input and zero influence.

Until he can get passed his ego and admit he’s a coach and not a manager with a transfer kitty the puppet tag is true.

If the piano player is constantly lying to you … shoot him between the eyes …

• LewSpi

Dec 29, 2011 at 1:01 PM

I can’t believe what I am reading in some of these posts, a few of the users, whom I usually completely respect and value their opinions are showing such naivety.

First of all @Geoff777 @ 8 — Pardew is not a puppet, he’s employed, and sometimes you have to subdue to your bosses wishes, £35m was way too much too refuse, it’s silly money.

@Geoff777 @ 12 — Pardew did give a guarantee we’d be signing a striker and, more recently, a CB, how do you know we wont? Fair enough, he’s said we’ll wait until summer, but do you not understand basic consumerism? If it is evident to a seller that you would do anything to buy, the price will be hiked right up, whereas if you are indifferent and say you’re prepared to go elsewhere, it creates a sense of Fear Of Loss, and therefore the seller will be prepared to sell for less. These are very basic tactics when it comes to transfer windows, how can you not see that? If we don’t end up signing one, I will gladly eat my words, but please, just wait and see, the window isn’t even open yet.

Final one for @geoff777 @15, I think you’ve raised a controversial question, one which would definitely split the fans in two, I personally don’t think it would be as beneficial if we swapped them, but I can see why some people would. For me he is a trouble maker, in constant trouble off the field, it’s just what we don’t need. We finally have a balanced, clam atmosphere in the dressing room, why throw a lion in with the deer?

It seems like I have singled out Geoff quite a lot, but these comments go to all who have agreed with his points.

On a more positive note, I can see us coming away with something tomorrow, Liverpool have just 3 wins at home this year and are without Suarez up front, providing we get off on the front foot I think we will give them a good go.

• Mac

Dec 29, 2011 at 1:04 PM

Jail for Ashley,
    which Rig are u on?

• taker83

Dec 29, 2011 at 1:05 PM

Good if we can get him for 10 million.When he scores lots of goals for us, liverpool will pay 35 million again and we will sell him.Let the cycle continue.hehe

• angelswithdirtyfaces

Dec 29, 2011 at 1:07 PM

Ge08dey @25

Yeh – it is negative rubbish.

Have you never had a duff boss but had to try to stay onside ?

AP deserves massive credit and respect – you just read all the player comments about him – he’s a good coach and man manager. He’s kept his dignity despite having to put up with the FCBs antics. He’s no puppet – he wants us to do well and wants the tools to do the job. It isn’t luck we’re 4pts off 4th half way through the season.

• Jail for Ashley

Dec 29, 2011 at 1:10 PM

Mac
    Aoka Mizu an FPSO thats getting hurtled about like a smartie tube in a jaccuzi at the minute.

• angelswithdirtyfaces

Dec 29, 2011 at 1:14 PM

Geoff777

I’m not agreeing with you.
    See my previous post on AP.

Pardew is no puppet but is on a tightrope between the upstairs and the fans – he has to be diplomatic – his joshing comment about the money in the press conference yesterday is about the max hint he can give as to how he is pissed off with the lack of support and funds for reasonable transfers.

• BelfastMagpie87

Dec 29, 2011 at 1:14 PM

I think before Steven Taylor got Injured we were only signing 1 player in January & that was Maiga.

Once Taylor got injured they pulled the plug on Maiga.
    Now they want a centre half.

It really confuses me why we cant just sign a st & cb.??

When they said they would reinvest the Carroll money.
    They should of said over the next 10 years ffs.