Demba Ba – I Like Living In Newcastle Very Much

Demba Ba is fast becoming a folk hero at the Newcastle club.

Great shot of Demba Ba after scoring on Monday afternoon at Bolton

Ba is fast becoming another great striker at Newcastle, and we’ve had some great ones in the past including Hughie Gallagher, Jackie Milburn, Malcolm MacDonald and Alan Shearer.

The only difference between Ba and those great Newcastle strikers of years gone by is the number on  the back of his shirt.

Ba wears the number 19  shirt rather than the famous number 9 worn by those other great strikers, and we trust that will be rectified at the latest in the summer, when Ba could have 30 goals to his name if he keeps up his goal scoring form of late.

Ba told the local Newcastle press today:

“I like living in Newcastle, very much.”  “It is a very simple life for me. I am at home with my family and I can just chill some days for the whole day.”

“When I want to go out and do some stuff, I can do that as well.”  “People here are more friendly than aggressive, so life is all right for me here.”

“The French players have settled in, but it is about the team here.”  “We just have to continue what we have been doing, we have not been playing badly.”

“Every game we go into we think we can win.”  “The best thing to do is keep quiet and just do our jobs! If we do that we can take the three points.”

Ba has 14 goals in 19 total appearances for Newcastle this season and is only topped by Robin van Persie in England,  and by Cristiano Ronaldo, Lionel Messi, Mario Gomez and Klass Jan Huntelaar in Europe.

Not too bad for a player whom Newcastle picked up on a free transfer in the summer, for yet another fantastic acquisition by the Newcastle club.

Bas was asked if he was surprised by his great form after going his first six games for Newcastle without scoring, and this is what he said:

“I never thought I would have so many.”  “I am always working for them, the work I am doing you can see it in on the pitch on a match day. I have to be satisfied with it.”

“The goals are not just down to confidence, they are down to work put in during the week.”  “When you are scoring goals you get the ball automatically, I am always trying to take the chances I have.”

“There are still games to play before I go off to the African Cup of Nations.”  “I hope the team will be fine.”

Ba has scored 14 goals in his last 13 appearances for Newcastle and he  has a total of 17 appearances in the Premier League, but he also played in the Carling Cup games at Scunthorpe and Blackburn Rovers.

With any luck Demba Ba will play in the next four games for the Magpies.

Those games are at Liverpool tomorrow night, at home to Manchester United next Wednesday evening , and then two home games against Blackburn Rovers in the FA Cup on 7th January, and then QPR the following Sunday, 15th January.

That’s before he heads off to represent Senegal in the African Cup of  Nations, and we wonder how many goals he will have for Newcastle by then?

Comments and estimates welcome.

• GeordieToon89

Dec 29, 2011 at 1:57 PM

He’s had a class record wherever he’s played and hopefully he’ll continue to score, just a shame this season and next season he’s going to be missing for the ACON

• alex84

Dec 29, 2011 at 1:58 PM

Love that picture, shows passion and togetherness!

• Harry Hampton

Dec 29, 2011 at 2:01 PM

@Gallowgate on last thread – re Ian Wright and Chris Waddle, of course Alan Pardew was only a part-timer until he was 25 himself – never a great player of course but I expect he’s more open to giving late developers a chance
    And re John Terry, remember (although his media mates never talk about it) ‘Arry is on trial in January too – say what you like, it’s going to be some prison football team coached by Redknapp and captained by Terry 🙂

• GeordieToon89

Dec 29, 2011 at 2:04 PM

Does anyone know anything about tht Jason Prior? seen a little video recorded from a fan at a game where he scores 6 goals but they all simple really 1 or 2 good headers.. but end of the day tht leagues only really a step up from sunday league

• wynsleap

Dec 29, 2011 at 2:14 PM

When you strike it lucky with a superb goal scorer like Demba who you get on a free transfer wouldn’t it be the obvious next step to outlay some serious money on another top striker and have a great double goalscoring threat up front?
    Not with Ashley. He either thinks – “he’s doing so well we’ll not bother with anyone else” (the most likely) or “let’s see if I can find another free gem like that to go alongside him (unfortunately lightning doesn’t often strike twice in the same place).
    A lack of ambition by The Tight Controller other than trying to claw back every penny he’s put into this club.
    He’ll never build – he’ll just play around with purchases and departures to make an ongoing profit.
    Sad really.

• planb

Dec 29, 2011 at 2:19 PM

Ba likes living here that means he’s off somewhere else!

• nightfa11

Dec 29, 2011 at 2:27 PM

great player..modest..awesome finisher & can create his own chance.. i just hope hes offered a new deal the day he comes back (injury free) from ANC.

• Gallowgate

Dec 29, 2011 at 2:28 PM

@ Harry Hampton
    NOT SURE IF tERRY COULD COPE WITH THE HARSH REALITIES OF PRISON FOOTBALL JUDGING HOW HE REACTS WHEN CHELSEA DON’T GET THE DECISIONS KNOW WHAT I MEAN LIKE 😉 REF ST JAMES’S A COUPLE OF YEAR AGO WHEN HE WAS STAMPING HIS FEET AT THE REF COS HE DID’NT GET A PENALTY LOL SAME MATCH CARROLL SCORED THE EQUALISER IN IRONICALLY

• nightfa11

Dec 29, 2011 at 2:34 PM

it would be great to get a new striker in..but yeah..i understand why we wont sign any.. if we get a wc striker in would just mean HBA will stay on the bench once BAs back..

BUT with cabaye & tiote in midfield we could easily start playing 4 3 3 formation

krul
    simpson colo wili santon
    cabaye tiote guthrie (jonas)
    vuckic ba hba

as for dropping obertan…this guys a mistery..he can have flashes of briliance & he can be..average..

• Gallowgate

Dec 29, 2011 at 2:36 PM

BREAKING NEWS !!!!!!!!
    Bob Bobson centre forward from the jubilee social club in Walker was about to leave and sign for the scrogg club but has been invited for a trial by NUFC. Fee was thought to have been agrred between the jube and the scrogg in the region of 1 pie and 1 pint, however Mike Ashley has personally flown to Walker to intercept the player who was walking through walker park on his way to sign. A helicopter has been put on standby in pottery bank to fly Bobson to benton if he can be persuaded to not sign for the scrogg. Meanwhile NUFC scouts have beeen spotted eyeing up potential strikers in the five a side leagues at the JJB in North shields. Some of these players even have their own shin pads which obviously falls into line with NUFC’S rigid money saving structure.
    I reckon I could pass for miles starforth like:)

• Klatoon

Dec 29, 2011 at 2:40 PM

Great picture,characterises our season

• davybtoon

Dec 29, 2011 at 2:53 PM

what u got to lose with this jason prior if hes good enough on his trial sign him up n build his fitness up n get him reserve games, no doubt he will play behind closed door game on his trial to see what hes like, theres loads of players come from lower leagues n make if u hav the ability u will make it

• davybtoon

Dec 29, 2011 at 2:57 PM

of course though he will instantly b written off by most our fans bcause of were hes coming from

• ross armstrong

Dec 29, 2011 at 3:09 PM

Breaking news!!!!!!! Beans on toast

• ToonMobile

Dec 29, 2011 at 3:21 PM

As an aside, has anyone else noticed talk has gone very quiet on the stadium sponsor and shirt sponsor?

• Gallowgate

Dec 29, 2011 at 3:28 PM

davybtoon
    Mate I agree wholeheartedly with what you say about this prior kid and have said as much on the previous thread. I also hope NUFC continue to spend like that but my p@@s taking on the post above is merely a humourous way of looking at the club and how they seem to be doing business and in no way should be taken as a serious slant at the club or Ashley for that matter. Is this lad the answer to Ba going to ACN I sincerely hope not as He would need at least 6 months to gain the strength and fitness to compete with anyone at Premier league level never mind the top defenders. I happen to think some sensible investment in the team now will see us ok for the season and next summer a full scale Striker should be signed in line with the slow improvement of the squad. 5 year plans and all that. Do I think we have the squad to qualify for europe now???? No I don’t and I don’t think Ashley will give us that this year but a top 10 finish is well within our reach and the club must ensure we have the squad capable of that during this window. Look out there and how many Strikers who are available fall in our price range of 5- 10 million now ask yourself how many of them would get in the team if Ba was not in Africa. I think that would leave you with a redundant potential 10 million pound striker sitting on the bench or even worse in the reserves. If you spend the money now where does that leave HBA. Who I believe has no place in our midfield but is ideal as a second striker of free role type player. It would leave him out of the team and unhappy when Ba returns as Pardew will possibly want tio play his 10 million striker. HBA and second fiddle does not go together see history at other clubs for proof. Big Dilemma for the club I think this window should be left well alone as far as strikers go and I happen to think thats the club are right in this case.

• Dannyo

Dec 29, 2011 at 3:34 PM

You can’t really expect that he’s a replacement for anyone.
    He’s a prospect like any other trialist we have, he’ll make it or he won’t. The lads on a trial for goodness sake.
    People are commenting on him like he’s the replacement for Ba or something, which is just plain ludicrious.
    He’s an old prospect, so he doesn’t have much “time” on him to prosper, but now he’s getting a chance anyway.

Must have something going for him bringing him up here at the age of 23. We’ll wait a week or two, then we’ll find out.

• Dannyo

Dec 29, 2011 at 3:35 PM

Tom Barclay @TomBarclay_SUN Close
    West Ham open the door to Newcastle over James Tomkins by telling them to up their offer #nufc #whufc #coyi

• Dannyo

Dec 29, 2011 at 3:41 PM

Also for those disliking Obertan, here’s some shocking stats:
    Gabriel Obertan has created the most chances at Nufc from open play this season (18)
    Although Cabaye makes most final third passes (228), no one is more accurate in that area than Gabriel Obertan (158/220=42%)

• ToonMobile

Dec 29, 2011 at 3:46 PM

@16 Gallowgate – Can see your logic there to a point, but it assumes, like many other people have said, that during the time Ba is away none of the other striker options get injured (and that Ba doesn’t return injured), and that they all have a period in goal scoring form (for which there is no recent evidence) – so to not sign a striker could be regarded as a big risk under those conditions? And sorry I’ve got to disagree about Europe – given the right investment now to cement the great start we have had and also a guarantee of no-one leaving would put us in the best position we have been in for a long long time to qualify for Europe – the team have the spirit and commitment to work hard for a tough target, why not give them one?

• Rich TOON Bristol

Dec 29, 2011 at 3:49 PM

Has anyone thought about the possibility that Carroll is on a secret mission, ala agent Bruce and scum??? I’m thinking an own goal from him tommorro will go nicely with our 35million!!! Co.e on Agent Carroll!!!

• Gallowgate

Dec 29, 2011 at 3:51 PM

I DON’T THINK ANYONE HAS SAID THEY EXPECT PRIOR TO BE BA’S REPLACEMENT. I have said he would need 6 months at least to get up to speed I have also said that i believe The Toon should save the striker money until the summer and should invest in the squad sensibly to ensure a top 10 finish this year. Signing potential like prior would’nt achieve that but if he’s good enough to add to the development side of things then great sign him on. I worry about signing a CB due to the fact Colo has yet to agree a contract and when Tayls is fit we have 2 good CB’S Where will a top defender fit into that except if Colo is allowed to leave!! or is sold!!
    Something does not add up in my mind with that one. If they sign a Young CB like the lad at boro with potential who can learn from and eventually replace Colo then great again but most people are expecting the club to sign a proven defender to cover Tayls position for the second half of the season. Like I say what hapens when Tayls is fit again?

• CaptainGeordie

Dec 29, 2011 at 4:02 PM

Why is everyone using caps today ?.

• Gallowgate

Dec 29, 2011 at 4:02 PM

ToonMobile
    Don’t get me wrong I would love for us to qualify for Europe. But look at all the windows under Mike Ashley recently. Little or no investment is commonplace and while we are ambitious for the team to reach the heights again, getting there costs a great deal of money these days. When You qualify for Europe you also get players asking for bigger contracts and so on and so forth. Do You think that kind of investment is going to come from MA ? Recent evidence suggests not. Long term growth is our only hope with him in charge and we are just gonna have to swallow it. I kind of like this thrfty approach, it has helped to engender a fantastic team spirit at our club. Fans feel like they are on the same planet as the players and the club feels like it is one entity for the first time in many many years. We have some stability (Yet to be proven— see who is sold during January) and it feels good to be a Toon Fan again. I would much rather keep the money in the bank if it continues as it is with steady progress so that we can have a much more sustained effort at success in the future. I think most fans are in for dissappointment in January if they are hoping for a lot of money to be spent by our owner.

• Gallowgate

Dec 29, 2011 at 4:03 PM

CaptainGeordie
    cos i’m at work and I want to feel important :p

• CaptainGeordie

Dec 29, 2011 at 4:10 PM

Fair enough,Gallowgate.

• TOONCHRIS

Dec 29, 2011 at 4:12 PM

A NO A LAD WHO SCORES A SHED LOAD OF GOALS ON A SUNDAY N WOULD BE AVAILABLE FOR A FEW PINTS N A PACKET OF PORK SCRATCHINGS,THE PERFECT DEAL FOR LAMBO N FATMAN

• TOONCHRIS

Dec 29, 2011 at 4:13 PM

I WANT TO FEEL IMPORTANT 2 HAHA

• CaptainGeordie

Dec 29, 2011 at 4:15 PM

Too far,ToonChris….

• TOONCHRIS

Dec 29, 2011 at 4:17 PM

haha

• CaptainGeordie

Dec 29, 2011 at 4:19 PM

Hahha :).

• CaptainGeordie

Dec 29, 2011 at 4:21 PM

Ponderous Pardew,The lad can only dream….

• Dannyo

Dec 29, 2011 at 4:27 PM

@Ponderous Pardew
    Watched him on YouTube, that lad is Oba Martins reincarnated.

• nufc90

Dec 29, 2011 at 4:28 PM

even if this prior signs i don;t think he;ll feature first team this season. would need to build his fitness up so much more before he could play in the prem.
    anyone writing him off though give him a chance. a lot of decent players have come from non-league. (smalling, morrison, kightly, hooper, etc) maybe he’s the english answer to santiago munez’s story ha ha

• CaptainGeordie

Dec 29, 2011 at 4:30 PM

Dannyo,I hope not injury wise.

• CaptainGeordie

Dec 29, 2011 at 4:32 PM

*injuries

• Dannyo

Dec 29, 2011 at 4:34 PM

@CaptainG
    The lad has got skills and pace, just the type we need imo.
    We’ll see in the summer.

• CaptainGeordie

Dec 29, 2011 at 4:37 PM

We do need that,Dannyo.It seems like he could be a creative player for us,if we did sign.I wouldn’t mind Samara at the club but that is my opinion.

• Ponderous Pardew

Dec 29, 2011 at 4:39 PM

Dannyo

Watching him now, looks a real live-wire, mega quick over 10-20 yards and always on the move too. He could be the busy little terrier we need. Let’s hope he carries on scoring for Young Boys.

I’m sure we’re aware of him and if we weren’t, we will be now.