Newcastle’s Poor Anfield Form Doesn’t Worry Pardew

The next two games for Newcastle are against two of England’s most famous clubs – Liverpool and Manchester United.

Alan Pardew – let’s hope he’s smiling like this after the game tonight!

Those two clubs have between them won the European Cup or European Champions League a total of eight times, with Liverpool wining five of them and more than any other English cClub.

Newcastle have never won the European Cup (damn  it!).

And who will ever forget the 2005 final when the Red were down 3-0 at half time, and came back with three goals in the second half to win it on penalties, with the fantastic Steven Gerrard leading the way.

Here’s the video with Gerry Marsden of Gerry and the Pacemakers (How Do You Do It?), singing You’ll Never Walk Alone, a single that was released in October of  1963 and topped the hit parade:

Alan Pardew seems to be looking forward to the two games aginst these top sides, and if Newcastle players are anything like they’ve been this season, they will rise to the occasion.

This is what Alan told the local Newcastle press today:

“Yeah, of course, they are huge clubs.” “But so are we, we’re a big club, we must never forget the traditions and the history of this football club.”

“We’ll take that to Anfield and we’ll get the respect that we deserve and hopefully get a win.” “It’s a great stadium, and the atmosphere’s going to be absolutely brilliant.”

“That’s what you set the games up for. That win at Bolton has set it up, so hopefully we can produce our best. You’d like to think we can.”

As we are pointing out it’s been 17 years since Newcastle last won at Anfield, so it’s obviously a good time to end that streak, just as we ended the streak of six games without a win at Bolton last Monday afternoon.

Alan Pardew has said it does not concern him that Newcastle’s form has not been good at Anfield:

Reflecting on Newcastle’s miserable Anfield form of the past, this is what Pardew said:

“Those stats don’t bother me, they’re more media-related than anything else.” “I have to say, just as a past player, not as a manager, it never really bothered me.”

“It’s something to lean on as a manager after, and say ‘Well we ain’t won here for so long, so we weren’t expected to win’. “But it’s not something I look to. We want to go there and try and win.”

A win would be fantastic tonight, and it’s not beyond this Newcastle team, if they play as solidly as they did at Bolton last Monday.

And all 3 points will take us above Liverpool in the league table, and it looks like three former Newcastle players – Carroll, Enrique and Craig Bellamy could all start tonight.

• Ameobi No.9

Dec 30, 2011 at 1:44 PM

Did you know that when the scousers sing ‘You’ll Never Walk Alone’ they mean it.. because if you try walking down a street in Liverpool, you will get mugged..

I honestly think we can get the points tonight. I have never thought much of Liverpool for the past 2 seasons now and all this ‘Champions League’ and ‘Top 4 club’ stuff surrounding them is laughable, not to mention King Kenny has spent fortunes on extremely average players, Carroll, Henderson, Adam.. you cant make this stuff up.

Enrique wants forgiveness, erm.. Not after the final matches you gave us. (has anyone actually seen him smile while at Liverpool? he always looks miserable to me)

1 point tonight and im happy, 3 points and my liverpool supporting friend is not getting any sleep tonight haha HWTL

• GeordieGerman

Dec 30, 2011 at 1:44 PM

I want to see Carroll’s name in the headlines tomorrow for scoring…

…. an own goal.

• Dannyo

Dec 30, 2011 at 1:46 PM

Can’t fault Pardew for wanting to win matches, imo, this is what makes us sitting in the table where we are now.
    Wanting and trying to win games, even at Man Utd, Man City, and Chelsea we’ve tried to win the games.
    Also the never say die attitude has also gotten us far.

• Rosted Pork

Dec 30, 2011 at 1:47 PM

would prefer 3pts. coz i wana kick my liverfool supportng frnds ass. 😉

• Brutooon

Dec 30, 2011 at 1:49 PM

I really hope Obertan can get past enrique

Carroll would do a Torres

• 2_goal_tino

Dec 30, 2011 at 1:50 PM

Repost from a previous thread- can’t keep up with the new articles

Tsunki // Dec 30, 2011 at 1:30 PM

Think Best has to start as far as Pardew is concerned he will be the target man when Ba is off to the ACN. Then it’ll be HBA/Best or HBA/Shola.

2_goal_tino // Dec 30, 2011 at 1:40 PM

@ Tsunki- Everyone keeps saying Best needs games to be ready for when Ba goes. BUT, Shola is just as likely to score as many as Best and he will play when Ba goes too. Best has had a run of three games and contributed nothing other than relief when HBA is brought on. Now give Shola the same run that everyone thinks Best needs and see what he can do. Everyone says he’s lazy while Best works hard, but I seriously can not see how he could’ve done less than Leon in those three games. Who cares though? I know Leon will get the nod tonight, and I’ll support him fully, just think Shola has more presence than him.

• kilcline

Dec 30, 2011 at 1:58 PM

Take a point, i detest Liverpool

• LEROI

Dec 30, 2011 at 1:58 PM

I got my fingers crossed for 2-0 & Demba Ba to score 1st. I got great odds on that for something not that unlikely 180-1 ha ha!

• Ameobi No.9

Dec 30, 2011 at 2:00 PM

@Tino
    Hasn’t Best come back from an injured ankle? Before the injury he was playing well and guess who got the assists for most of Ba’s goals then.. Yep, you guessed it BEST. While I agree that Shola has more presence and should get an equal amount of games to prove his worth, he is just as lazy and never seems to do much more than give the ball away and stand in offside positions (like Best I suppose) and he only encourages the long ball, where as Best offers the option of a through ball because he has a bit of pace and is pretty strong too.

Best and Shola both have their strengths and weaknesses, we will just have to wait and see who pops up on the team sheet then give them as much support as we can.

• seantoon

Dec 30, 2011 at 2:06 PM

I think some people on here must watch the matches with there eyes shut because how can you say obertan does run round enough you must be kidding I bet him and jonas clock up the most mileage per game! The guys getting better get off his back your getting boring to listen to

• Tsunki

Dec 30, 2011 at 2:07 PM

..Wait…Hang on… I’m out of breath keeping up here.

Tino, I replied to that with:

Not disagreeing with you at all – How many times has the mystery that is Shola surfaced with the crucial goal when everyone thought he’d made his last full start? I’m just saying what i think is in Pardew’s head. Personally I dont think Best and Shola can play together simply because both on the pitch at the same time gives us no option but route 1. And then we will be Stoke. Or more accurately, Stokerland.

Of the two though I would suggest that for all his crap touches, Shola is the more likely one to get round a man or two and in on goal. Can’t recall Besty trying much of that on.

• planb

Dec 30, 2011 at 2:08 PM

Andy carroll hatrick just what the doctor ordered!

• Rosted Pork

Dec 30, 2011 at 2:13 PM

il go for 1-2 . o an yea hear sumwer arfa will b startng but not sure on santon

• Super Simmo Strikes Again

Dec 30, 2011 at 2:15 PM

This may just be me but, I feel Best has been selfish the last few games. The impression that i get from him at the moment is that he would rather go for the long shot/glory goal rather then passing to a man in a better position.

• ilovetoon8788

Dec 30, 2011 at 2:15 PM

If Enrique plays like he has been playing for Liverpool all season, i just can’t see Obertan getting past him even once. Though Carroll has been rubbish, Enrique has been the total opposite. I hope Jonas is back to his best as most attacks are going to come from his flank instead.

• 2_goal_tino

Dec 30, 2011 at 2:21 PM

@9- The bad ankle injury was last season- this season he had a minor groin injury which kept him out for the two manchester games. He didn’t really get the assists for most of Ba’s goals before the injury either- he’s got two all season and one of them (against stoke) was a wayward shot.

Best may have more pace, but Shola is better in the air and better (i.e severely under-rated) with the ball to his feet. We will play just as much hoofball with Best as Shola as the last three games have shown- the only way to change the style is with Hatem but that won’t happen.

• CaptainGeordie

Dec 30, 2011 at 2:32 PM

I have a good feeling tonight,I think we will win.We have always been better against bigger clubs,but I think we’re on par with Liverpool but the red rose pricks might think other wise.Hopefully Santon is playing tonight.

• toonthompson

Dec 30, 2011 at 2:40 PM

Liverpool fans are not looking forward to this game they think they are going to lose 🙂

• jonny-intense

Dec 30, 2011 at 2:45 PM

£5million for Cahill apparently…

Cheeky £6mil bid?

• lewytoon

Dec 30, 2011 at 2:49 PM

toonthompson, how do you know? been on liverpool blogs? 😛

• toonthompson

Dec 30, 2011 at 2:52 PM

lewytoon: no my mates and other coments on the match previews from their fans dont sound very confident

• lewytoon

Dec 30, 2011 at 2:59 PM

oh good, hope we win, sometimes i go on the other blogs before a game and see what the opposition fans think, sometimes its a right laugh, the everton fans we funny un’s. think we’ll win 2-1, Ba first then Cabaye!

• Dannyo

Dec 30, 2011 at 3:15 PM

I dont dare say if we’ll win or not, i’m just silently voicing my hope for a win that i so desperatly want to shove in Joses ambitional face.

• ilovetoon8788

Dec 30, 2011 at 3:20 PM

Lucas and Suarez out.
    And they will test out their new Bellamy Carroll partnership upfront.

With their key players out and most likely i doubt Gerrard will start, we must try to grap the first goal quickly. might make a world of difference.

• sox

Dec 30, 2011 at 3:32 PM

We have offered a trial to 18yr old holland youth international jordan botaka, plays as a winger/striker, he looks immense, a bit lyk young sammy but with more skill n unbelievably quick feet.

I’ll post video

• Whos_SuperMac

Dec 30, 2011 at 3:40 PM

Like Pardew said, “The win sometimes comes to you” just need to be patient like the Bolton game. Keep them quiet for an hour, get em nervous, then they’ll start chasing the game, like we did against West Brom! That’s when the game is there to be won, and if not, then we will take the point.

• magicmac

Dec 30, 2011 at 3:41 PM

I would be very happy with a point tonight, i know liverpool have drawn a lot of home matches, but thier still a good side, and Andy Carroll will be really up for it tonight specially against his former club, i would be simply delighted if we go there and beat liverpool, but in my heart i would be very happy with a point tonight. PS. Happy new year to all Newcastle fans.

• Oleg G

Dec 30, 2011 at 4:09 PM

3 things.

1. I am happy already today because there are so many Sopcast channels. But we actually need only one: BLOODZEED and he is ON tonight 🙂

2. Any Liverpool blogs? I want to go and read what they are talking about there.

3. HWTL!!!!

• MacToon

Dec 30, 2011 at 4:16 PM

“we must never forget the traditions and the history of this football club.”

Maybe you should tell Ashley this and not us!

• Marty-Toon

Dec 30, 2011 at 4:38 PM

More worried about Bellamy than any other player.
    He will beat our whole squad for speed apart from Obertan that is

• jordijohnty