Enrique Wants Good Reception From Fans – Not Much Chance Of That

The Liverpool full-back José Enrique says he is hoping for a good reception from Newcastle fans tonight at Anfield, but we doubt he will get one.

Jose Enrique – while at Newcastle

We could be wrong on that, but we’d be surprised if Jose gets anything like a good reception from Newcastle fans at the game.

Any player who leaves Newcastle for another club, and wants to leave, will hardly be remembered too  fondly by Newcastle fans.

Enrique moved to Liverpool  in August for a fee of around £6M, and he refused to stay at Newcastle.

And that was even though Alan Pardew and Spanish speaking players Fabricio Coloccini and Jonas Gutierrez had apparently been pleading  with him to stay, ever since pre-season training started up in early July.

This is what Jose said today:

“I had very good moments there … They have amazing fans, it is an amazing city. I still love Newcastle and will do all my life. But I play for Liverpool now and I want three points because it is important that we get them.”

“I hope the fans understand why I moved. I gave everything for Newcastle, I always gave 100% and nobody can say any different. I played in the Championship after they got relegated. I wanted to stay and help because I was part of the reason that we dropped out of the division.”

“But an opportunity to play for Liverpool came along and I couldn’t refuse it. We are one of the best teams in Europe. You cannot say no when a team like Liverpool comes for you.”

“They sold a lot of players … when you sell a lot of players, normally the team drops a little bit but they are doing really well. Demba Ba has come in and is on fire this season. They are doing really well and I am happy for them.”

I don’t think the Newcastle fans do understand why Jose moved on, other than he wanted to play for Liverpool rather than Newcastle United, so he can hardly expect Newcastle fans to like that too much.

That’s really the bottom line in all of this, he wanted to leave Newcastle, although to his credit,  we have to admit that Jose was a very good player for us in the four years he was at the club.

And Jose always gave his very best, and was just fantastic in our promotion season.  But another way of looking at it,  is that Newcastle made him into the player he is today.

When he first arrived at Newcastle, and Kevin Keegan took over the Newcastle manager job from Sam Allardyce in January, 2008,  Kevin  had doubts about his defending, and Jose is still not a first class defender today, although he is very good when moving forward.

Indeed, if Kevin hadn’t left the club in September of 2008, we don’t think Enrique would have stayed at Newcastle, but likely would have been shipped out and probably back to Spain.

And didn’t Jose say more than once that he wanted to end his career on Tyneside?

So to keep quiet and not say what he really wanted to do from last January on, was not good.

But he didn’t want to stay at Newcastle,  and we have found out that when we have players who only want to be on Tyneside, things are just fine, and the team spirit is absolutely  fantastic.

And to make matters worse Liverpool paid only £6M for him, and surely he was worth £26M to Liverpool, that’s if big Andy was worth £35M?

It would be very nice to beat Liverpool tonight, that’s for sure.

• FloridaToon

Dec 30, 2011 at 2:25 AM

He shouldn’t get one. Yes he played hard but he was PAID to play that way. He left for money plain and simple.

He was well like by the fans the coach and the other players. If he loved NUFC so much he would have stayed.

• ginkoh

Dec 30, 2011 at 2:44 AM

Shut up ! Jose ! even you’re ever my favourite player here but your attitude before you leave to Liverpood is shit !

You can’t wait to move out and make us no choice. Liverpood didn’t deserve to get Jose for 6M, never.

• tuning-toon

Dec 30, 2011 at 2:45 AM

I think he is a bit deluded. not denying how much he has done for nufc but just hate people finding excuses for leaving the club. He must have forgotten how awkward the position he was in when he first came to nufc but he wont be missed I do believe Davide can do a better job than him.

• tuning-toon

Dec 30, 2011 at 2:47 AM

Don’t forget whose last minute decision makes Raylor a even more versatile player now! LOL

• TemuriKetsbaia

Dec 30, 2011 at 2:48 AM

I think Enrique’s decision to move has been vindicated. He wanted to move to a bigger, better club – the league table doesn’t lie.

Maybe one day we will finish higher than Liverpool, but the points gap is insurmountable this season.

Oh hang on…I was just looking at the table according to Lawro’s predictions.

I think we can beat them this year. They can’t score and are without Suarez. Will need to keep Bellamy quiet though.

• dannydev

Dec 30, 2011 at 2:53 AM

F Enrique, if he stayed we wouldn’t have bought Santon. He was good last season, I think Santon will be better in the long run.

Yo @FloridaToon where in fl? Orlando myself.

• davo

Dec 30, 2011 at 2:53 AM

I think Jose would’ve stayed if we hadn’t of got rid of Carroll,Nolan and Barton. When he seen them leave he must have thought NUFC has no ambition.

• Ponderous Pardew

Dec 30, 2011 at 3:18 AM

Button it Jose, with you’re patronising rehearsed waffle. You moped about for the second half of last season and in my opinion, wasn’t giving 100%! I really hope we take those 3 points tonight.

• Expat MAG

Dec 30, 2011 at 4:07 AM

Jose was poor in his first season at Newcastle but for his remaining time on Tyneside was excellent. He’s a tremendous left full back and wish him well for the future as he could make the Spanish national side soon; he is that good.

As long as we get the 3 points, or minimum 1 point this evening, I’ll be HAPPY…….

Happy New Year fellow Geordies and toon fans wherever you are located in the world!!!

• Rumsfeld

Dec 30, 2011 at 5:02 AM

Big latino bitch

• Charlietoon

Dec 30, 2011 at 5:05 AM

I am not bitter he left. I’m bitter he dragged out contact negotiations and then left us high and dry having to accept 6 mill for him when he was worth 10

• soundoid

Dec 30, 2011 at 5:45 AM

Charlietoon,

I think you have that about right. He will get a tepid reception at best.

The only player out of the last bunch I would give a good reception to is Super Kev.

• Satan

Dec 30, 2011 at 6:05 AM

Enrique is a quality left back who made no attempt to leave when we dropped into the championship, like any good player the guy has footballing ambition; something MA and NUFC clearly don’t have. He’s not a local lad, he’s no born and bred Geordie so when you push the disappointment of him leaving to join the bin dippers to one side, his decision makes sense….if you played for say Napoli and then Inter came in for you offering ambition and huge wages what would you do? I dont blame Enrique for leaving I’m just gutted he did, the guy deserves a polite reception at least.

• soundoid

Dec 30, 2011 at 6:27 AM

No one would have bought Enrique when we were in the championship his wages were too high. Thats why he stayed.

• soundoid

Dec 30, 2011 at 6:29 AM

Still a good player, He won’t get a bad reception, hope Obertan skins him that WILL get a good reception.

• ilovetoon8788

Dec 30, 2011 at 6:55 AM

If he plays as well as he did for us, Obertan stands no chance in going past him tomorrow. Enrique even matched Walcott for pace. =(

• Satan

Dec 30, 2011 at 6:59 AM

Soundoid

2 words for you my friend…..Damien Duff

He kind of blows your theory out of the water doesn’t he now…..
    and you seem to forget that Enrique didn’t want away, he fought tooth and nail against relegating and then did so again to get us promoted, he showed a fantastic attitude and example when many others couldn’t be bothered! You have a short and selective memory in addition to talking out of your arse….but of course your entitled to your opinion and can talk out of your arse if that’s your thing

• soundoid

Dec 30, 2011 at 7:06 AM

Satan,

Steady on fella. Enrique didn’t have a great season the season we got religated, but i agree he was great for us in the championship. Calm down. LOL!

• Indian Magpie

Dec 30, 2011 at 7:12 AM

Jose enrique was poor in first 2 seasons, he proved his worth with us in next two seasons.

i agree the way he left was bad and left a sour taste in the mouth. he was worth more than the 5.5 million we got but that happens. look at cahill, pienaar etc.

the thing that was also poor was phil thompson blabbing about how the deal was agreed well before.

• Brutooon

Dec 30, 2011 at 7:27 AM

Enrique is a LIAR !!! he said he will sign new contract when we are “safe”.

When we avoid relegation, he still havent sign any contract !!!

Barton,Nolan,Carroll – all gone downwards since. Enrique still the same good defending and attacking as he is in Newcastle

• Indian Magpie

Dec 30, 2011 at 7:30 AM

Enrique said he will discuss a new contract, never said he will sign one.

• Toonboy_84

Dec 30, 2011 at 7:32 AM

I think the stick Andy carrot gets tonight will over shadow anything Enrique gets.

Off topic but it’s a shame saylor isn’t fit. Would have loved to see him up against Carroll.

• Dannyo

Dec 30, 2011 at 7:47 AM

The lad is in for a hidin from 4-5000 toon fans today, u can be sure of that.
    The things he said when he left will never stand. “Always wanted to play for a big club for Liverpool, that was always my goal”.
    I hope we tear Lpool a new one, and completely demolish the confidence of Enrique.

• Klatoon

Dec 30, 2011 at 7:57 AM

Would have loved seeing Saylor against Carroll,woulda absolutely loved it 🙂

• bills-son

Dec 30, 2011 at 8:06 AM

As Enrique has said himself he WANTED to leave – he was offered a “fantastic contract” (Pardew’s words) but strung us out allowing Lpool to pick him up for pocket money.

I don’t blamr Enrique or Lpool – thats business.

BUT – just like Carroll – Enrique was NOT sold against his will by Ashley cashing in. This is where the Ashley haters twist the facts to fuel their FGB delusions. Carroll wanted the £80K a week and Enrique wanted to play for Lpool (there is a difference – think about it). Ashley screwed Lpool for £35M in cash for AC and Lpool got a bit back by hanging us out to dry and getting Enrique for £6M a few days before the end of the window.

The Ashley haters need to stop rewriting history – although I have no doubt they won’t.

• Majuro Magpie

Dec 30, 2011 at 8:22 AM

Enriques got enough in the bank to make me not care about him so much. As for Carroll something about all that sticks in my craw. I badly want a win tonight but I fear without Suarez Bellers or Carroll might play a blinder. Happy new year to all magpies across the globe!

• ToonMatt

Dec 30, 2011 at 8:25 AM

He moved to a club who want to win trophies, Cant knock him really.

• Toonboy_84

Dec 30, 2011 at 8:31 AM

Carroll v Saylor would have been class. Glad it’s not perch against Carroll. Ouch!

• Gallowgate

Dec 30, 2011 at 8:36 AM

I have’nt got time in my life to be bitter and If I was at anfield tonight Enrique would get no reception from me thats because he does’nt play for my team. I am only interested in NUFC players at the match. As afr as Ashley is concerned I agree with most of what he is doing and the way that he is doing it assuming his plan is long term improvement and stability, but therein lies the problem with Mike and his Staff at NUFC. but therein lies the problem with Mike and his staff. Communicating his vision and plans for NUFC to the fans is truly second rate and I believe a lot of anger that has been directed at the clubs board could have been avoided with better communication. Consistently improving the squad and ongoing stability are slowly persuading people that the club is being pushed in the right direction at all levels. If FIFA have their way NUFC will be one of the best placed clubs to compete due to a sensible wage structure and performance related bonuses etc as opposed to ridiculous wage bills and unsustainable transfer policies at other top clubs (tonights opponents are one of them). The future looks bright in my opinion and basing your judgment on who we sign in the transfer window has’nt worked for those of you who do that for 3-4 years now. We clearly have the correct staff to find and unearth quality and emerging quality players at a price thats not detrimental to the future of the club. However if you disagree there’s always your michael owens eh?

• Dannyo

Dec 30, 2011 at 8:56 AM

This is exciting..
    We’re looking at 18 year old striker Jordan Botaka, offered him a trial, which have been turned down by Club Brugge.
    They must value him then, but he’s yet to sign a new contract, so we’ll see what happens.

Also there’s 18 year old Harry Maguire, CB, from Sheffield Wednesday, where Tavernier is on loan.

Both seen as future prospects, but both have been involved in first team action.

• bro56

Dec 30, 2011 at 8:57 AM

I hope he gets a good reception. He served us well. did say he’d be here for ever but then we started selling players, wasges were reduced and L’pool showed more ambition than us, + we probably offered him a reduced salary offer where L’pool would of probably increased his wages

• grumpy_old_sod

Dec 30, 2011 at 8:58 AM

It’s a shame Jose left the club, he is an excellent left back and will continue to improve. Jose left for money like most players would do, we don’t have to like that but must accept that it happens in football.

To be fair, 99% of people on this blog thought that Ashley didn’t know or care about what he was doing to the club. For all intents and purposes, it looked like he was selling his best players to strip all the assets before selling the club.
    Clearly he got rid of high earners to make the club stabilise in the current financial climate, Jose rightly or wrongly had the club over a barrel and would have ended up going on a free.
    Players come and go (except Harper and Ameobi), we have to expect that. Liverpool may have looked a better option at the time, but I like the look of the squad that were putting together now and believe that we could make good progress in the next few years.
    Jose picked the wrong club, Liverpool may have stupid money to throw around, but that just buys a team of egos. NUFC have emerged this season as a consistent team, who are moving in the right direction both on and off the field. Defensively we are better than we have been for a number of years, without Jose. A bit of strengthening here and there should help to maintain the progress.

Jose wouldn’t particularly get a hard time from me, he helped us climb back into the premiership. He left the club and we just move on.

HWTL

• bro56

Dec 30, 2011 at 8:59 AM

Willo will have Carroll in his pocket tonight

• bro56

Dec 30, 2011 at 9:01 AM

@grumpy_old_sod

Do you think we’ll stop selling eventually and retain our better players or do you expect Mike to keep stripping assets?

• Dannyo

Dec 30, 2011 at 9:10 AM

@bro56
    Depends on how well we manage to establish the profit that will be made by the club in coming years. Our turnover will finally be positive in 2012, just remains to be seen how good that will be.
    Otherwise, we’ll probably have to sell to buy, but we should note that selling our best player for £25 mill, will probably allow for 3-4 Carr gems to come in. Just like it did in the January window.
    Also, we keep investing in youth, so that in particular should help on wages over time.
    I am not worried.

• alex84

Dec 30, 2011 at 9:20 AM

There is a great quote from Williamson today saying Ben Arfa embarrasses them in training he is that good almost impossible to play against…but from the journal they recon best wil be in still.

• bills-son

Dec 30, 2011 at 9:21 AM

bro56 – how is Ashley ‘stripping assets’ ?

Since we got proomoted we have sold Carroll (wanted to go amd we screwed Lpool for £35M in ash), Enrique (refused new contract, wanted to go and less than a year on contract), Nolan (age 28, wanted 5 year contract, sold and replaced by 24yr old Cabaye on half the wages), Barton (refused new contract last Jan, slagged off the board, booted out on a free), Routledge (Championship standard, sold for £3M, replaced by Obertan for £3M).

In addition since promotion we’ve bought Tiote, Ben Arfa, Santon, Ba, Marveaux and Abheid and signed Krul, STaylor, Guti and Tiote up on new long term contracts.

WHERE IS THE ASSET STRIPPING ????

• WWJBD

Dec 30, 2011 at 9:26 AM

I don’t hold any grudges against him he just went to a better job where ambition was shown rather than one where relegation was predicted

Owners ud have liverpools, managers most would say doglesh, fans on par and city is probably on par as well plus he had no real attatchment to the club

I don’t think he did anything wrong in how he went about his move tbh, I’d be giving him a good reception

• geoff777

Dec 30, 2011 at 9:28 AM

@bro56

I agree with Dannyo.
    Except the last line.

I’m worried 7th is about as high as we’ll ever get.
    I like our transfer policy regarding age.

Stoke paid 10M (rising to 12M) for a 30 year old Peter Crouch on a four year contract.

He will have no sell on fee at 34yo.
    Why can’t Stoke’s chairman see that he has just thrown 12M quid away?

Pay 8M for a 23 year old and you can sell him when he’s 27 and hopefully get your 8M back or make a profit.

It all makes sense but is there any ambition to challenge above 7th?
    All the talk says they think it’s impossible to challenge Spurs, Liverpool …

This could be as good as it gets.

• Dannyo

Dec 30, 2011 at 9:30 AM

Linked with 3 players today so far, 2 youngsters and Aly Cissokho linked to us in France. “Wants to move to Newcastle, but price is too steep yet”.