Good News – Sammy Ameobi Had Great Year – Bad News – Sunderland Improving

Sammy Ameobi, the 19 year-old younger brother of Shola, is one of the young guns who came through big time under Alan Pardew last year.

Sammy Ameobi – what a goal this lad scored at Scunthorpe!

Along with other youngsters like Haris Vuckic, Shane Ferguson,  Mehdi Abeid and James Tavernier we expect these youngsters to come through at Newcastle this coming year.

And if most of them are fighting for a first team starting position by the end of this year, then things will be working perfectly.

It seems like Sammy cannot believe the progress he has made at Newcastle in these last 12 months, but it’s a very good sign that manager Alan Pardew is doing his job at Newcastle, and giving the youngsters a chance at the Tyneside club.

Sammy seems to have the right attitude and he ahd this to say today on the Newcastle web-site:

“It’s been a very good year for me. The progress has been amazing – so quick,”

“I was probably playing for the Reserves somewhere this time last year. At the beginning of 2011 I never thought I would be where I am today.”

“To finish the year playing at Anfield against Liverpool is a big step for me and I loved every minute of it.”

“To get an opportunity is fantastic, and you have to take them when they come along, so hopefully I can keep building from here.”

“With everything that’s happened to me, it doesn’t sink in. Sometimes I sit there and just think ‘wow’. I’m so grateful for that and will never take it for granted.”

“Getting a regular spot in the starting line-up – that’s my goal for 2012. Hopefully I will be able to achieve that.”

Sammy has done well so far, but he must keep his head down and keep working very hard and listen to what the Newcastle coaches are telling him, and he then has every chance to become a good player at his home club.

And having watched the Sunderland game today, it looks like Martin O’Neil is already transforming them into a decent side, and they had a good win against Manchester City today at the Stadium of Light.

But they were under the cosh for most of the game, and just hanging on in the second half at 0-0 as City mounted wave after wave of attacks.

And with three minutes of extra time left, it looked like they had survived – just.

And then would you believe a breakaway goal right at the end of the game,  from South Korean Dong-Won Ji, who scored after exactly 2 minutes and 59 seconds of added time.

The kicked off and the final whistle was blown, and if you had wrote this kind of stuff, nobody would have believed you.

But it seems that our easy ways with Sunderland and Geordie Steve Bruce may be a thing of the past, as the derbies are now likely to be a lot more competitive under O’Neil.

The home game against Sunderland should be a good game on Saturday March 3rd, with Sunderland now only 9 points behind us having made up 7 points on Newcastle in the five games Martin has been in charge.

They include three wins and and a draw, and in their first 14 league games they managed only two wins.

So it looks we will now need to beat Manchester United on Wednesday night at St. James’ Park – nothing less – and then wallop Sunderland in early March – so there’s 6 points in the bag. 😀

And finally,  when I wrote in the last article that it’s 10 years  this site has been up, since April of 2007, I was being light-hearted and it was meant as a joke.

And no, I am not losing my mind, well not yet anyway!

• davybtoon

Jan 1, 2012 at 11:41 PM

Scum r still crap there jus working harder simple management really

• Rosted Pork

Jan 1, 2012 at 11:43 PM

awww new post by ed early morng .

• Rosted Pork

Jan 1, 2012 at 11:45 PM

must win game against man u. a new year to start with a win would be great

• t00ntime

Jan 1, 2012 at 11:46 PM

But thats the problem davy 😛 we have a good team but keep playing worse, and they are bad but keep playing better :S

• kingkev9

Jan 2, 2012 at 12:30 AM

Being negative here but i am yet to see anything from Sammi that makes me think he will be a great player. I was never very impressed with him when he played for the reserves or juniors.

As for the title of this thread. I thought this was a NUFC blog? Commenting on the SMB improving is not about NUFC. S*FC are obsessed with us, lets leave it that way.

• nufc90

Jan 2, 2012 at 12:33 AM

lot of talk down here that west ham have activated billy sharp’s release clause.. i’d take a punt on him at 1.85 mil

• Sav

Jan 2, 2012 at 1:00 AM

If Cab picks up a 3-match ban for the Spear-tackle, we are bunched. We can’t count on Abeid or Vukic – its not fair or reasonable and you could see Vukic was a spectator at Anfield. Way too inexperienced to take over from Cheick or Cab yet.
    Sorry to say this, but the good news is the disappointing and profligate Obertan is crocked for a few games – Maybe Santon will get a start there, or else Ferguson on the left with Jonas switching flanks?

• swoopingmagpie

Jan 2, 2012 at 3:29 AM

Sammy has got to do a lot more to justify his improving tag here, Obertan is played relentlessly by Pardew which makes me think that it was his idea to bring him to St James Park in the first place and he’s giving him plenty opportunities to prove himself to the fat one. He probably told the fat one – give me a season with him and he’ll be worth 12 mil.

• geoff777

Jan 2, 2012 at 8:23 AM

Still don’t get the joke Ed?

The scum are best ignored.
    I look to see if they have lost, but I never watch them and don’t want to read about them until it’s derby time.

• bri h

Jan 2, 2012 at 3:02 PM

i think people ars going way overboard about sam . he shouldnt be anywhere near the first team ,its only because of lack of investment up front hes in the squad .i also dont see him progressing much either .sorry but thats how i see it

• Marty-Toon

Jan 2, 2012 at 4:14 PM

Ed,
    It just feels like ten years have passed mate 🙂

• Lynxie

Jan 3, 2012 at 2:49 PM

So Sammy has made the breakthrough, Ashley wont spend any money, Cabaye is due a suspension for a two footed challenge, and Scumderland are on the way to being really good? Thanks for that Ed, my PC is obviously been hacked and transferred me to a mackem loving site. Note to Ed. Any talk of those unwashed peasants on here should be banned, unless its insulting to them. Please dont get carried away with the notion that any of us here give a rats a*se about Martin O’Pikey and his band of mutants in Albania on Wear, and lets get back to what this blog is about. NUFC. Now wheres that bleach……