Krul Not Resting On Laurels – Forster Could Leave This Month

Tim Krul has made a good start to his career as the Newcastle number one goalkeeper.

Tim Krul – playing well at Newcastle

But after years behind both Shay Given and Steve Harper the 23 year-old will have been well schooled in not taking anything for granted, and also having good relationships with the other goalkeepers, even though they are competing for his spot in the side.

Steve Harper did his best to bring Tim along since Shay Given left the club three years ago, and the Dutch lad, who signed for Newcastle when he was only 17 back in the summer of 2005,  has done very well this season, and seems to be learning from every game he’s played.

Apparently Alan Pardew also reminds the Dutch International goalkeeper not to take anything for granted, and Tim talked to the local press today:

“I’m playing now, week in, week out, and that’s great,” “But I won’t be resting on my laurels and the manager, quite rightly, will always be reminding me of that.”

“I’ve got Harps and Rob Elliot fighting and keeping me on my toes, and they will continue to do that.”

“Of course I’m more than pleased with the way things are going That’s 19 games in a row now – I’m playing well and feeling on top of my game.”

With Rob Elliot having been brought in last August, we expect Alan Pardew to allow Fraser Forster to join Celtic on a permanent basis some time, but only if they come up with the money, and it will have to be more than the £2M they bid for the Hexham-born player last summer.

Fraser Forster – could leave this month

If 6’7″ Fraser does leave, he will have never played for the Newcastle first team in a competitive game, due mainly to him being out on loan for the last two and a half seasons.

Forster has now played 124 times with 61 clean sheets in his career, with games on loan at Stockport County (7), Bristol Rovers (4), Norwich City (42) and Celtic (71),  and he has made 27 appearances for Celtic this season with 12 clean sheets.

And of course Celtic have just gone top of the Scottish Premier League (SPL) after beating Rangers 1-0 at Celtic Park last Wednesday through a goal from Welshman Joe Ledley.

If Fraser doesn’t go to Celtic this month, there could be other clubs after him in the summer, and his old club Norwich City may be interested, with their current goalkeeper, 25 year-old John Ruddy looking only ordinary this season.

Fraser seems to like it up north and certainly Celtic are a big club and in Europe every year, but the SPL is also a poor league as far as the standards of play and the pitches go.

For the record, former ADO Den Haag player Tim Krul has played 35 times on loan at Falkirk (26) and Carlisle (9), and 55 times for the Newcastle first team for a total of 90 appearances.

• lordjoesnow

Jan 2, 2012 at 9:22 AM

It’s not like the SPL is a million miles apart from the EPL. From what I’ve seen of Forster he has much better control of his area than Tim. I completely rate Tim Krul I think he’s been fantastic but he’s not vocal enough and it lets mistakes like Danny Simpson happen unfortunately. Maybe with Frazer back it will put the pressure back on him! HWTL

• Darling27

Jan 2, 2012 at 9:25 AM

If Celtic bid 3 – 4 million i’d let him go to bump up our transfer fund.

• grumpy_old_sod

Jan 2, 2012 at 9:29 AM

I’m happy with Krul, he’s done a good job for us.

I don’t think Forster is as good as Krul and wouldn’t grumble if he sold, for a reasonable price.

• grumpy_old_sod

Jan 2, 2012 at 9:34 AM

I wouldn’t be surprised to see both Forster and Tiote leave this month.

I believe Forster is surplus to requirements and I think we will receive a big bid for Tiote.

• Klatoon

Jan 2, 2012 at 9:38 AM

Any chance of Shane Fergie getting a surprise start V manure (LW) with Jonas getting switched to RW? Would like to see us playing 2 wingers on their natural side,for once!

• GeordieDan

Jan 2, 2012 at 9:39 AM

Happy New year Ed!

Hope you have a great 2012.

Just to back up what Lynxie asked for yesterday- Can you ban this complete idiot who posts on your blog and calls himself NUFC96 plz?

He/she thinks its funny to continuously post Youtube links of people with learning difficulties on this blog, claiming that they are videos of say Obertan etc.

A sad, little, freak to be honest who we don’t want to put up with.

Cheers mate

• Expat MAG

Jan 2, 2012 at 10:03 AM

Yep, Foster could be sold as we have adequate cover on the goal keeping front including the young 19 year old England international currently on loan with Gateshead. I only hope Pardew is given the transfer money to strengthen the squad

• Ben_W

Jan 2, 2012 at 10:07 AM

I think Forster is our second best goalie and would love to have him as our number 2 goalie but i don’t think he’s happy with just sitting on a bench each week. Shame really as if anything happened to Krul, i’d feel much more confident having him there to step in over rob elliot, as harps doesn’t have many seasons left in him unfortunately.

• Widowmaker

Jan 2, 2012 at 10:07 AM

Darling27, like the 35M sale did?

• Ben_W

Jan 2, 2012 at 10:09 AM

I was forgetting we have young Jak Alnwick actually. Hopefully he’ll come good over the next few years!

• Lee Dodd

Jan 2, 2012 at 11:54 AM

I would say Sell Forster aslong as we get the Money to Spend on New Players as We sell em and bank it and that is that Just look at the Enriuqe and Carroll money !!! Also Why is Llambias always away on holiday at every opening of the transfer window ??? He is Very Committed !!!

• nufc786

Jan 2, 2012 at 2:36 PM

if we sell forster form 3-4 mill we could buy Vertonghen

• max

Jan 2, 2012 at 4:19 PM

need new winger actually

• Ryan2502

Jan 2, 2012 at 10:19 PM

@ 5. That would be my suggestion, I definitely think Guti needs to be playing on the right, now he doesn’t have to play with Enrique, and it would give Fergie some much needed experience in the first team. Big ask of him to have a good game against Man Utd, but he may just come up with the goods, he deserves a chance at least.

• arctoa

Jan 4, 2012 at 7:33 AM

As well as he’s playing in the SPL, he is completely unproven in the Premier League so if we can squeeze £4 million out of Celtic I’d bite their hand off for it.