Newcastle Missing Steven Taylor Big Time

Newcastle defender Steven Taylor is hoping to play again this season.

Steven Taylor – greatly missed in the Newcastle defense

Steven suffered from  a ruptured Achilles in the Chelsea game back in early December,  and was thought to be out for the season.

Taylor went under the knife last month, and these injuries tend to take some time to heal, and of course there is an awful lot of rehabilitation required with the ankle stiffening up because of no activity for a while.

But the way things go these days,  we wouldn’t be too surprised if Steven forces his way back by May, but it’s  touch and go, and Alan Pardew may decide not to even play him, as he did with Dan Gosling and Ben Arfa last May.

Alan may decide  to give Steven the extra time in the summer to fully recover and Steven can start again in pre-season.

This is what the 25-year-old told People yesterday

“”I know Newcastle expect me to be out for the rest of the season, but I am hoping to be back for the penultimate match of the season against Manchester City in May.”

“You have got to have goals in life. And that’s mine. And if I was to get back it would give me a massive boost and peace of mind throughout the close season.”

When he does return Steven will have to fight for his first team place again,  because Newcastle should be bringing in another top center-back this month.

But if Steven’s form is anything like it was earlier this season, he will remain the number one choice and we are missing Steven big time at the moment.

Just think how we would have done since the Chelsea game if Steven had still been around at the back.

But it has shown that while the first choice Newcastle team are a match for anybody, we just don’t have any strength in depth.

That’s the next job to do at Newcastle, starting this month and continuing in the summer to bring in new recruits to the squad, and next season we could be challenging for a top six position.

For the record Steven has played 202 times for Newcastle with 13 goals.

• Dannyo

Jan 2, 2012 at 10:17 AM

Sad to miss Saylor for so long, he really offers something else at the back.
    CB is the scariest position to fill imo. Communication is key there, u can have the two best CBs in the world, but it wouldn’t matter if they can’t communicate.

• LewSpi

Jan 2, 2012 at 10:23 AM

Sorry, repost, Ed you’re too quick 😉

For me, CB is one of, if not THE most important position, I think Pards should be saying to MA, look have your bargain buys and money making players in midfield and attack, but in defense, we need reassurance.

Samba is the daddy, I absolutely love the guy, if a ball enters the box at head height, there is no way he isn’t going to win it, we just need to act quickly and effectively to lure him before Wenger and Redknapp get in there.

Tbf, the guy is only 27, i though our age limit was 27 and under?

• Graeme

Jan 2, 2012 at 10:27 AM

He is a player who has developed well at NUFC and still continues to improve, Its no wonder he is missed.

Of course, had our Illustrious Owner been considering the weaknesses in the side with our magnificent MD, they would have been fully aware that we were particularly understaffed in defence and would have resolved the problem a year ago.

That he didn’t, isn’t a great shock as Bank Balance appears to be much more important than Playing Staff.

Now the opportunity is at hand to address the problem, we are once again hamstrung – only this time its because the man responsible, our MD, is off on his jollies!! Obviously, recharging his batteries is far more important than the Football Team!!

• Dannyo

Jan 2, 2012 at 10:28 AM

@Lewspi
    Agree, to an extent. If there’s a bargain to be made and the player is still recognised, i’d go for it, doesn’t matter to me.
    On the other hand, u’re 100% correct on the needed experience, I’d like Samba very much too.
    However:

Lee Ryder @lee_ryder
    Been told #nufc won’t be going for Chris Samba despite all the hype

• WWJBD

Jan 2, 2012 at 10:32 AM

Tbf Williamson kept Saylor out of the team last year no reason that won’t happen again. I can’t see us getting a CB who will push for starts straight away

• Dannyo

Jan 2, 2012 at 10:34 AM

@WWJBD
    Yup, u can bet Pardew wants a new CB to understand our way of defending, so he’d not even get close to a start until atleast 4 weeks has passed.
    Unless there’s an injury in the back line.

• BelfastMagpie87

Jan 2, 2012 at 10:34 AM

To be fair I think Lee Ryder knows jack shit… lol

If you work at the club & know whats happening with transfers etc The last person your gonna give Info to is a journo.

• Dannyo

Jan 2, 2012 at 10:40 AM

@belfast
    Well, to be fair, he’s only saying “being told”, he’s just forwarding the rumour 😛
    And we wouldn’t have any or little transfer speculation in the papers unless journos went by their “sources”.
    Otherwise we’d sit down, twindle our thumbs, and wait until something came out of the club regarding transfers.
    A bit boring don’t u think? 😉

• Dannyo

Jan 2, 2012 at 10:41 AM

QPR have confirmed the signing of #MUFC striker Federico Macheda on loan until the end of the season. Full story to follow.

So that’s ruled out, fortunatly.

• BigKirky

Jan 2, 2012 at 10:42 AM

I really want us, like everyone will, to have the deals done early. It’s like the old dangling a carrot trick I keep chasing when I wake up, hoping and hoping there is a player on way over to sign, rather than just links.

Disappointing to read Lee Ryder’s tweet that we won’t be getting Samba as he’s a beast and already has Premier League quality. Shame, but I hope we can get another very good centre half. I do very much agree with the age policy we have, albeit it’s not as easy as that because they have to meet the wages and transfer fee criteria as well.

It’ll be tough, but I hope we get ’em in early.

Lack of regular crosses is a major concern though. Barnetta has a great delivery doesn’t he…. It’s also known as room service.

• BelfastMagpie87

Jan 2, 2012 at 10:43 AM

Macheda away to Qpr on loan…

• BelfastMagpie87

Jan 2, 2012 at 10:46 AM

I think that most football clubs just feed all the journos stupid made up storys.

And thats why you get so much bullshit rumours during the transfer window… 🙂

• Rotonda heights

Jan 2, 2012 at 10:50 AM

To be fair I never rated saylor as I thought he was quite error prone and sometimes made daft decisions going with his wrong foot and giving penalties / free kicks away. But he obviously was doing something right as we have fallen apart without him.

I think Douglas and / or M’Biwa could get the job done.

• BigKirky

Jan 2, 2012 at 10:50 AM

Will be interested to see how Macheda gets on at QPR. He’s hardly set the place alight at old Trafford yet. Good goal initially though when he came on as sub.

• terencelim

Jan 2, 2012 at 11:07 AM

@14, both goals weren’t a “good” goals if they can be considered as “goals”. There were fouls against the opponents before the goal but as usual the referee didn’t blow the whistle and gave advantages to Manure.

• BigKirky

Jan 2, 2012 at 11:09 AM

Depending on how far down the line a transfer is, at some point the local journos like Lee Ryder will know for sure.

The problem is, as someone has just said, the club will not want to let the Lee Ryders know, like in the Cabaye situation, because we are trying to force the transfer fee down to be at its lowest and to fend other teams off.

If I was involved in the transfers there’s no way I’d be letting them get anywhere near who we were actually after. It’s only through Chinese whispers that other staff, players and other folk get wind of these things coming to light. Or sightings, Carr, scouts, Coozy etc. 🙂

• jimmymagpie

Jan 2, 2012 at 11:12 AM

Lee Ryder very much is in the know. Whenever I’m at Benton, I often see him in a huddle with Pardew. Obviously, he has to retain Pardew’s confidence and be careful with what he prints, but I promise you, if he says we’re not even trying to sign Samba, then you can take it as correct. Anyway, for God’s sake, think about it – use your own common sense and remember what has happened in previous windows. When was the last time that we paid more than £5m for a player, and offered more than £35,000 a week to a newcomer? Ashley thinks a trophy signing is one who costs more than £5m. Also remember, the budget that Pardew has been given has to include all add-ons, such as agent’s fees etc.

• LewSpi

Jan 2, 2012 at 11:15 AM

Haha BigKirky, I was wondering how long it would take for the Jesmond Hotel and Barnetta to crop up, by my reckoning, that’s 35 hours. A round of applause is in order I think.

• BigKirky

Jan 2, 2012 at 11:15 AM

Good goal, i meant more in the important/good for Man Utd sense of the word.

• Jail for Ashley

Jan 2, 2012 at 11:21 AM

Sorry repost,
    But anybody else having trouble with the adverts posted all over the blogs or is it just my phone,

• BigKirky

Jan 2, 2012 at 11:23 AM

It’s a very fine line what Ryder is told, knows for sure and prints.

• alex84

Jan 2, 2012 at 11:23 AM

not a chance on Samba, wages to high for one… outside the transfer window im positive regarding the team as you should always support the team but the Jan window i fear the worst, seliing players last min, lies, no players coming in or a loan like Ireland(injury prone)…oh god iv turned to the darkside.

• jimmymagpie

Jan 2, 2012 at 11:28 AM

Jail @ 20 – me too mate, I’ve had a few ‘technical problems’ with this blog in recent weeks. Some days, everything is fine, on others, interruptions galore. Talking of journos, I remember the days when Joe Harvey used to take JOhn Gibson with him when scouting players, and Gibbo always kept thing quiet until Joe gave him the thumbs up. As a result he always got the main stories before the ‘nationals’.

• Toonboy_84

Jan 2, 2012 at 11:28 AM

@20 I’m getting it too

• seantoon

Jan 2, 2012 at 11:29 AM

@jimmymagpie just replying to your comment in the last post, I remember when the last transfer window opened and we moved pretty quick to get players in before other clubs came sniffing so just thought the same might happen again before Liverpool get the word of who we are moving for and come and try and hijack any moves the thiefing scum

• BigKirky

Jan 2, 2012 at 11:29 AM

@lee_ryder: Chris Samba not on Newcastle radar – #NUFC Latest News – Newcastle United from @EveningChron http://t.co/htmg9vHe via @AddThis

Article about it.

• davybtoon

Jan 2, 2012 at 11:30 AM

correct me if am wrong but lee ryder didnt break the news first of one single transfer we done in the summer

cabaye broke from the french journos
    marveux just totally out of the blue n proves how we like to do deals no one knowing
    ba was by a southern journo on talksport
    santon was from italirn press

n it goes on

• alex84

Jan 2, 2012 at 11:30 AM

Jimmy – do you no of any targets? a long shot i no but as you are close to the club?

• davybtoon

Jan 2, 2012 at 11:33 AM

when colin from twitter has more sucess than ryder when it comes to getting transfer news

• Dannyo

Jan 2, 2012 at 11:35 AM

Gah, too quiet on the transfer front, i’d expect us to be linked with 12 different players today alone.

• LewSpi

Jan 2, 2012 at 11:35 AM

Jail – yeah I’ve had a few ‘hiccups’, pleased others are tbh, thought I had a virus, it sometimes reloads the page and sends me to something which it wants me to pay for.

• terencelim

Jan 2, 2012 at 11:36 AM

I thought Tamas Kadar was so close to first team when both Fabio and Saylor injured. We won’t sign any world class centre back anyway so why not give him a proper chance.

I don’t rate Sammy as the “next big thing” although it might be still early to say. I would rather give Ferguson more playing time on the wing.

• seantoon

Jan 2, 2012 at 11:38 AM

I know what you mean dannyo I was excited waking up this morning expecting loads of gossip!

• davybtoon

Jan 2, 2012 at 11:38 AM

id b more than happy if we got douglas from twente another 2 from the championship id b happy with is tomkins or williams from boro

• davybtoon

Jan 2, 2012 at 11:40 AM

the less gossip the better for me bcoz it means no one knows who r targets actually r

i kno the daily fail is useless but i tell u what they were always the first national to get r deals ryt in the summer

• seantoon

Jan 2, 2012 at 11:41 AM

@terencelim I think kadar may well end up back at Huddersfield if we sign a defender soon! He only played a few games down at Lee Clarks team but the fans loved him and he’s just the type of player they need at the moment for the dodgy defence

• jimmymagpie

Jan 2, 2012 at 11:46 AM

Alex – nothing in the last few days mate, because I’ve been at my daughters in Manchester for Xmas. Was handy for Bolton, but in all honesty, even that was cr-p. I know that they haven’t discounted Ridgewell – he’s certainly in the ‘price area’ they’re looking. Pardew said himself over the weekend that no names have been discussed as regards putting in offers, he has to wait for boss-eyed Derek to get his arse back from holiday.

• LewSpi

Jan 2, 2012 at 11:47 AM

Davy – How many did they get wrong though? It’s the amount of rubbish that people have to wade through that gives them their reputation as ‘the fail’

• jimmymagpie

Jan 2, 2012 at 11:49 AM

Davybtoon – there’s no gossip, because they haven’t even discussed it yet – don’t you listen to what Mr. Pardew tells you?

• Dannyo

Jan 2, 2012 at 11:51 AM

@seantoon
    The summer was insane with in and outgoings, so very much action indeed, but it was a dissapointing window for many. Me, not so much, i thought 7 in was good, it was more the outs that we’re partly worrying, mostly Nolan perhaps for me.
    We’ve done good despite that, but now it all remains to be seen.