Pardew Lauds Jonas And Santone – Simpson Injured – Guthrie Back Next Week

Newcastle had a good week last week following the disappointing 3-1 defeat at Liverpool.

Danny Guthrie – should be available for QPR game

Newcastle beat Manchester United 3-0 in their best display for many a  year last Wednesday, and their first win against the Red Devils in over ten years.

And then Newcastle got through to the 4th round of the FA Cup last Saturday by beating Blackburn 2-1, and that was with the help of one of the best goals ever seen at St. James’ Park,  by the mercurial 24 year-old Frenchman Ben Arfa.

In fact we’ll put a  video of that goal in the right hand column on the home site later today, and keep it there forever.

Alan Pardew is not surprisingly upbeat over the last couple of games, and he said this to the local press today:

“I don’t think this was as important as the Manchester United game.” “We needed to beat a top team, and to do that in the style we did means it has been an unbelievable week for us.”

“In the second half, we were as good as we were against Manchester United, make no mistake about that, and with different personnel. I am absolutely delighted with the players.”

“Davide and Jonas were brilliant in the second half.” “I don’t think there are many teams who can cope with them coming down that side and their energy.”

“They did it against Manchester United and they did it again against Blackburn. I was really, really pleased.”

Danny Simpson picked up a shoulder injury on Saturday, but it’s too early to know how bad it is.

But the good news is that Danny Guthrie could be fit for the game on Sunday afternoon,  and he will probably be part of the squad  against the currently manager-less QPR , who sacked Neil Warnock yesterday.

Pardew talked about Danny Simpson’s injury and Danny Guthrie’s potential return to the squad for next weekend:

“Danny hurt his shoulder. Guthrie will have a week’s training and he will play himself into contention, I would think.”

With both Santon and Ryan Taylor so flexible,  then if Danny Simpson cannot make the QPR game on Sunday,  then either Ryan Taylor will come in at right back, or else Davide will move over to right back and Ryan could come in at left back.

• TOONCHRIS

Jan 9, 2012 at 2:16 PM

ryan right santon left is the best way to go,and please please please start benny on the right wing

• ToonIcon

Jan 9, 2012 at 2:18 PM

Glad guthrie’s gettin fit really needs a new contract
    i’m really umpressed with santon’s start

• sweendog

Jan 9, 2012 at 2:18 PM

Guthrie is needed as we were playing too deep in the 1st half .. maybe keep the same team except Guthrie in the centre and Raylor out wide right instead of megamind ..

• martoon

Jan 9, 2012 at 2:19 PM

Lets hope Danny’s new contract includes sick pay 🙂

• sweendog

Jan 9, 2012 at 2:20 PM

think if guthrie is in you may see the best of Arfa in the middle as him and Cabaye will be solid behind him .. will be an interesting game .. hoping for everyone to gel and a big victory but you never know..

• LGFUAD21

Jan 9, 2012 at 2:20 PM

Bad news about Danny. He has been consistent for us. Can see Raylor filling RB and Santon at LB. Dont see sense in putting Raylor L (where last time he got skinned against qpr) when he is a RB and Santon at RB when he is more experienced as a left back and has Jonas

• TOONCHRIS

Jan 9, 2012 at 2:21 PM

a think danny will be gone by the summer and i think guthrie might be 2,but hope not we need players like these inour squad

• LGFUAD21

Jan 9, 2012 at 2:28 PM

Toonchris. Unless we get into europe i think yes.

Guthrie is too good to be a benchwarmer. And isnt paid enough to be one either.

Simmo i just dont know. He seems to have locked down his spot in the team yet there are all these reports. Plus its not like anyone better will pick him up as solid as he is for us.

• hatem or love him

Jan 9, 2012 at 2:33 PM

Team for qpr

Krul
    Simpson Willo Collo Santon
    Ben Arfa Cabaye Guthrie Jonas
    Best Ameobi

Taylor at RB if Simpson is not fit and Vuckik if Guthrie ain’t fit

Santon and Jonas will prove pivotal in the game the energy and pace up the left and we need Best to bang the goals in now.

• magicbus

Jan 9, 2012 at 2:35 PM

If Ober startsthen we play with 10 men again end of

• ilovetoon8788

Jan 9, 2012 at 2:36 PM

Sucks to know Ba will leave us in the summer for pittance. Best striker we have had since Shearer.

Our scouts must be working full time to target a proper striker. Giroud maybe.

• TS -77

Jan 9, 2012 at 2:38 PM

My team for the QPR game, assuming Simpson is out:

Krul

Raylor – Williamson – Coloccini – Santon

Ben Arfa – Abeid – Cabaye – Gutierrez

***** Vuckic
    ************ Best

Not yet convinced of Ameobi (after 11 years)

• H8-4-U-2-B-N-E-1-Else...NUFC

Jan 9, 2012 at 2:41 PM

Wouldn’t mind seeing Santon play behind Benny on that right wing, it would really mix things up….I think it would be good to see. Plus that would give us alot more attacking options.

• TOONCHRIS

Jan 9, 2012 at 2:41 PM

if ba wants to fook off let him,i am sik to fook of greedy basttarrds in the game,

• Dearka

Jan 9, 2012 at 2:42 PM

i wish the toon fan would stop attack obertan because he a good player who could be a great player if we as fans help him by cheering him on

Krul
    Ryan Willo Collo Santon
    Obertan Cabaye Gosling Jonas
    Best Ben Arfa

• TOONCHRIS

Jan 9, 2012 at 2:44 PM

OBertan will never ever ever ever be a great player DEARKA but still no need to boo the lad its not his fault he isnt very good at football lol

• mattnufc

Jan 9, 2012 at 2:48 PM

Ben Arfa doesnt want to play on the wing but he was so much better there. Hope Pardew drops Obertan because he will just receive the same kind of response from the crowd and will dent his confidence further. Not sure who to play instead of Tiote if Guthrie’s injured – no one stands out between Abeid, Vuckic and Gosling.

• TOONCHRIS

Jan 9, 2012 at 2:50 PM

dont rate vuckic,he needs to go out on loan for a few month to get himself some games and prove he can do it

• TOONCHRIS

Jan 9, 2012 at 2:51 PM

wat about benny on the right n sammy playin just behind shola in the hole

• H8-4-U-2-B-N-E-1-Else...NUFC

Jan 9, 2012 at 2:52 PM

He doesn’t want to play on the wing but with santon in cover and the lack of Mr T they would spice the right side up quite nice, Why not give it a try, could end up quite nice.

• ganiyu

Jan 9, 2012 at 2:53 PM

Ben Arfa would need a hard working team around him if he intends to go solo every time and Mr Pardew must take note.

• Brutooon

Jan 9, 2012 at 2:53 PM

Santon on the Left

Raylor on the Right

HBA as Left Winger. Ameobi and Best up front

• Foxy005

Jan 9, 2012 at 2:55 PM

Hi everyone this Demba Ba situation has me a little confused, can he leave this window? I thought a player couldn’t be sold in the same season he was purchased? (Meaning Ba cant be sold) Am I making this up?

• Dearka

Jan 9, 2012 at 2:55 PM

ok Obertan may not be a great player but i think if he hard works with AP on reads the games and know when a run with ball and when to cross the ball he could a soild player for the time being

• Tsunki

Jan 9, 2012 at 2:57 PM

I think Al should just try switching Obertan and HBA positions first half and see how it goes, it may take some pressure off Obertan not having to get into the dithering position in the corner. I think he might just link up inside with Jonas and HBA if his passing game is up to scratch.

• Tsunki

Jan 9, 2012 at 3:00 PM

someone on a previous post inserted some fa rule section which he said proved that technically Ba falls into the area of being eligible for sale. I read it but it made as much sense to me as a house deed.

• LGFUAD21

Jan 9, 2012 at 3:02 PM

Had an interesting conversation with an american fella down pub t’other night which got me thinking.

Maybe its my mentality that I never was much of a sports player. But personally im the sort of guy that would rather play somewhere I enjoy in a team that be that fickle guy that switch for the best deal or even trophies without much of a try.

Thats why I was drawn to Newcastle. Im not a geordie and the only tie to newcastle i have is that my dad spent a good 7 years living there when he was about my age and had first graduated. He used to talk about going to matches all the time because he just loved football as a game. Which basically he followed whatever club he was able to watch each week. He grew up as an Arsenal fan in North London watching them every week. Then when he had to go live with his auntie and uncle in Melton Mowbry he followed Nottingham Forrest because he went there week in week out with his cousins (technically he is still a Forrest fan to this day because he shares that with my brother and has someone t go to games with.

As a result I was kinda brought up as a Forrest fan. Although me and my dad mainly watched Italian football. But then I went on like a 10 year run with no interest in the game whatsoever (I know. how?!?!?)

Basically it took a good friend of mine and a Geordie lad to drag me along to games down the pub for me to start following football again. When time came to consider who I actually supported the choice seemed to make sense to me (I watched Newcastle on a regular, even though I would be dragged along to watch other teams), but also because I liked the atmosphere among Newcastle fans (they, or should I say we, have a huge amount of passion, but also a dry sense of wit and humour when it comes to football, even chants that state we havent won shit).

Anyway back to my key point regarding Ba and others jumping ship. I just dont understand it. Most players will be taxed most of their increased wages anyway making that argument seem rather trivial, but for Ba to leave for someone else so soon just doesnt make sense. Here is is part of a great team that gels, he clearly gets along with other in the team. We are a club slowly rebuilding itself currently 7th and performing decently in our second season back int he Prem with an almost completely new team. To mean that points to progress.

Anyway one thing the american lad said is that the problem with football is that there seems to be little understadning among players of the strength of team and that it is a team sport. In the NFL (even though it’s structure makes is a more even sport anyway) players dont jump shit like they do in football. They can have a terrible season with their team but stick it out in hpe they can do better next season because for them it is all about the team (and the even bigger paychecks they get) but still, they dont often look for better deals etc.

I wish football was more like that. Id find more satisfaction in performing well in a team I helped create. Than jumping ship to an already good team and playing a minor role in success.

I know i havent articulated my point particularly well here. but maybe someone will udnerstand

• Tsunki

Jan 9, 2012 at 3:04 PM

sorry to be a serial poster but apparently Sparky hasn’t lost here in 5 goes, so if he does come here with sand bags in the goalmouth we may have our work cut out. Plus they are pacey blighters on the break.

• alienhunter

Jan 9, 2012 at 3:04 PM

Only ever really post on here when the numpties need educating!
    Ok.. Regarding Ba..
    1. Nobody would take a chance on him so we got him for not.
    2. At the time he was, and to an extent still is, a medical gamble. He had a clause at hoffenheim and west ham.. Not really an issue giving him one at nufc..
    3. He signs on a pay as you play incentive based deal.
    4. A goal scoring revelation, he wants more money and more security.. A little bird whispers in his ear about Tiotes improved contract when others started sniffing around him
    5. 14 goals in 15 games = good time to get an improved contract
    6. Agent let’s slip to a few people about the claue
    7. Nufc state they are not worried about it. They know they were gonna have to improve it anyway.

Some people on here need to stop wetting themselves. It’s embarrassing. He will be offered the better secure contract he wants. Other clubs won’t pay big signing on fees, wages and a transfer fee Beale 5 injury free months doesn’t really mean anything in terms of his injury threat (note: not injury record) he’s still a huge gamble on a normal contract with a transfer fee, even at 5 million. Stoke wouldn’t pay 8 million and ran a mile..ticking time bomb remember.

As Ba said himself, deals can’t really be done during ACN so I doubt Tiotes is going anywhere either.

Relax man.

• Super Simmo Strikes Again

Jan 9, 2012 at 3:06 PM

On the bright side, isn’t Tavernier back from his loan spell?

Cover for Right back. I do not rate perch as a defender. He can do an ok job at CDM though.

• LGFUAD21

Jan 9, 2012 at 3:06 PM

@Tsunki

Is my Obertan theory taking off?

I think, although risky and he is young, inexperienced etc. We should give Sammy s hot in the hole.

He has already on occasion show up defenders. And ive always though he was more suited to be a striker than a winger.

Maybe I can finally get my dream come true. An Ameobi partnership. They seem to both play best when they are both on the pitch

• planb

Jan 9, 2012 at 3:11 PM

It just shows the difference in class between Ashley and Sir Richard branson who is worth twice as much as ashley yet he’s in newcastle posing with the players and meeting the public unlike ashley who hides behind the creepy lambias and never does interviews Bransons got real class i wish he’d buy ashely out!

• LGFUAD21

Jan 9, 2012 at 3:11 PM

alienhunter

Thank you.

Although strange things happen. (Why? was Raul Meireles already in London for his “shock” transfer to Chelsea)

It is very unlikely that we will lose them with them off at ACN. I’d say it wont happen unless it happens within the next week. Then it wont while the tournament is on.

• Tsunki

Jan 9, 2012 at 3:13 PM

LGFUAD – not sure about the Ameobi bros partnership, Sammy has a bit of ground to catch up but he is promising, more talented than stroller I think. I feel where you are with the late supporter thing it does happen – my dad was from the wrong half of Manchester and a die hard City fan, I resisted it all my young days until as a teenager I finally broke the shackles and joined my mates as an all-out Mag. You’re right, you know you’re home with the Geordies, natural or honorary! There’s nowt like it with any other team imho. (goes dewy-eyed). Yep, the Yanks do have this ‘Do it for the Corps’ thing and yes we could do with some of that.

• MNTOONARMY9

Jan 9, 2012 at 3:14 PM

Does Pardew shoulder any responsibility for not getting Obertan to do whatever it is he “should” be doing? If you have a winger you want to cross or shoot, don’t you coach him up on that? Clearly he’s fast (oh, I mean he has “pace”) and can move the ball from point A to point B, but if you want him to shoot or cross, or whatever, coach him to do it, if he won’t, don’t play him.

Or am I missing something? (Common)

• -Tendo-

Jan 9, 2012 at 3:15 PM

alienhunter – Spot on mate!

• LGFUAD21

Jan 9, 2012 at 3:16 PM

Tsunki

Your are probably right Re: Sammy

Maybe put him there instead of ont he wing though when he makes his 10 minute appearances.

He has in the past come on and created at least 1 chance in his little appearance. Maybe he could create one for himself and score it. Would be worth a shot for last 10 mins I reckon.

• martoon

Jan 9, 2012 at 3:18 PM

A player cannot play for 3 different clubs in one season but I am not sure if West Ham counts as the 1st . Did Ba play any friendlies for them before his transfer etc?

• TOONCHRIS

Jan 9, 2012 at 3:19 PM

ALIENHUNTER your the numpty for going on like that PRICK

• LGFUAD21

Jan 9, 2012 at 3:19 PM

I think that is the problem for most. He has potential but Pardew is refusing to hold him back a bit to develop. But I am sensing something happening soon though

He didnt appear against Man U (or barely did)
    Was subbed against Blackburn.
    Definitely can see HBA starting on the wing against QPR.

1 2 3 8