Steven Taylor Targeting Great Britain Place in Olympics

Newcastle center-back Steven Taylor  wants to make the Great Britain team for the Olympic Games this summer.

Steven Taylor shown with referee Mike Dean earlier this season

Steven Taylor was wearing the surgical boot on his right foot yesterday,  when he was photographed along with other Newcastle players with Richard Branson, the owner of Virgin and with one his companies – Virgin Mooney – is now sponsoring the Newcastle shirts.

Steven is making the long haul back after rupturing his Achilles tendon, and that usually takes around four months to finally heal, but then there are all the rehabilitation exercises on the ankle and getting back to full fitness after that.

Stuart Pearce was in attendance last night at the Arsenal vs Leeds FA Cup tie at the Emirates Stadium,  and Stuart is the coach of the Great Britain team.

Steven  Taylor was a great captain for Pearce when Steven was playing for the England U21 side a few years ago.

And of course Steven was in the best form of his career in the first 14 league games of this season, before the Achilles snapped near the end of the home game with Chelsea, which we lost 3-0.

Stuart has placed Steven on a short list of candidates from which he will pick his Great Britain squad, and Steven is keen to be fit so he is included in that Olympic squad:

“I would like to set the Olympics as my goal – that’s one target. It would be a massive honour to be involved.”

“I got a letter – among a lot of British players – about it and hopefully I can get myself in the mix. If I can, it would be amazing.”

“It gives me something to look forward to. You’ve got have a goal and I want something to get focused on, so this is a blessing.”

“Once I feel comfortable and the medical team are happy, that’s when I will be back, but I won’t rush myself.”

Steven had previously said he would like to return to the Newcastle team before the end of the season, and Newcastle’s last game of the season is on Sunday, 13th July at Everton, so he has a chance to make that game.

The league games have been brought forward by a couple of weeks to accommodate the Olympic Games.

It’s a long haul back for Steven, and we hope he can make that Great Britain squad, but in reality the best he can probably do is to be fit enough to return to pre-season training in early July.

If Steven can recapture the form he showed at the beginning of this season, he will again be one of the two Newcastle center-backs, in a team that may be able to make the breakthrough into the top six next season.

That depends largely on who Newcastle bring in during the summer transfer season, but if we have the same successful window we had last simmer, and can also keep all the players we have, that’s a distinct possibility.

For the record, Steven played 15 times this season for Newcastle and has 202 total appearances for his home town club with 13 goals and played 29 times with four goals for the England U21 side.

• Jail for Ashley

Jan 10, 2012 at 9:47 AM

Being forced to attend Mcdonalds birthday parties with his mouth sewn shut is too good for Ashley.

• Dannyo

Jan 10, 2012 at 9:59 AM

@Jail
    Yes, i belive so. I thought MA was a gambler
    There are 3 scenarios.
    Ba leaves this window for peanuts, and we’re all gutted and moan about it for the next 6 months.
    Ba signs up on a more permanent deal and the clause is removed.
    Ba doesn’t sign a deal, but moves in the summer instead, giving us enough time to replace.

Also, could be that MA says “we’ll sign him up before the summer, we’ll pay him less that way, cause there’s little chance he’ll move now”.

Also, lol at the McD joke, i’m a manager of one of those restaurants in Norway. And u know what?
    Being stuck at a McD birthday with 14 6 year old kids is too good for Ashley… 😉

• Jail for Ashley

Jan 10, 2012 at 10:11 AM

Dannyo,
    Which ever way it pans out I dont think MA will put himself in a situation where he can lose a lot of money,I think he has shown that his gambles in the footballing world like to err on the side of caution,unlike the liverpool lot who have gambled a fortune on success,so my gut feeling is MA would rather let him go cheaper than take a big gamble on a huge pay rise,if he goes cheap MA is missing out rather than losing out if you see what I mean.

• Brettoon

Jan 10, 2012 at 10:11 AM

I don’t think Ba will go this Jan but he’ll be gone by the Summer. It’s sad but it’ll probably happen.

Rednapp is a serious w4nker… Can’t stand that guy. After the Chelsea Modric situation I think he has put himself out as a total c0ck. Disgracefully unethical.

When are we playing Spurs again? Think the Toon crowd should just shout ‘REDNAPP’s A C0CK’ throughout the WHOLE game. No other chants..

Good luck to Steven Taylor for Olympics – local legend (even though he was born nr London)..

• Dannyo

Jan 10, 2012 at 10:22 AM

@Jail
    That’s what i think to, so the most likely thing is that Ba will be offered a new contract. Weather he signs it or not is up to him.

• Brettoon

Jan 10, 2012 at 10:22 AM

Haha.. Tendo.

That’s bloody brilliant.

What a twat!

• Mancgeordie

Jan 10, 2012 at 10:25 AM

I personally don’t reckon BA will leave in jan i think with where we are in the league n the ACN i think he might see the season out n see whats out there dependent on what we offer n where we finish

• marsbar

Jan 10, 2012 at 10:46 AM

Ed, that’s a pretty long season we’ve got ahead of us, if it’s now not ending til middle of July 😉

• NUFC Fan 1

Jan 10, 2012 at 11:21 AM

Has none else realised it was probably Ashley that started off the Demba Ba release clause thing? Look back to every transfer window and there’s always something along these lines going on. It means that he doesn’t have to pay out for another striker as they will label Ba as the ‘new signing’ when he returns from the ACON with an improved contract. This happens every window and it’s more than just chance the Redknapp (The manager of the club Ashley supports) spoke to the media about it.