Newcastle In For Blackburn’s Junior Hoilett

Newcastle are being linked with a move for Blacburn’s Canadian striker or winger Junior Hoilett.

Hoilett scored against Newcastle in our 3-1 win in the league and his contract runs out in June and this is not the first time we have been linked with the Canadian 21 year-old.

We were first linked back in the summer when Steve Kean was trying to persuade the player to sign a new deal at Blackburn, but he hasn’t done that and so clubs can now talk to the player.

Blackburn have quoted some ridiculous fees for the player in January, but since he will become a free agent in June and available for nothing the fee cannot be too high for him in January.

ESPN are reporting this news and a source told them the following:

“Newcastle might be the club who make a move for Hoilett, that is the buzz around Blackburn at the moment.”

Notice the use of the word might – which covers almost anything that can happen. 😀

Blackburn are said to be asking  £7M for the player, but there’s no way a club would pay out that much when they could get him for nothing in June.

And Newcastle are very savvy in the transfer market these days, so they could even be trying to sign a pre-contract with the lad to get him for a free in the summer.

The other alternative is to buy him at a reduced fee in January,  but we would think around £3M is all that Newcastle would offer for the lad this month, if that, and as the month draws to a  close Blackburn will sell for much less than £7M.

If February1st rolls around without a sale, then the Lancashire club will get nothing for him, and Newcastle are very good at playing these transfer games these days.

For the record Junior Hoilett has played 74 times since 2009 for Blackburn with 10 goals.

What do you think?

• Ollieh51

Jan 11, 2012 at 10:05 AM

Would LOVE for this to happen but it remains a rumour.

To go from a thin squad to having multiple options would be brilliant but I can’t see us spending on him, a CB AND another player like Erding?

Think we are OK with CBs but have been caught out by injuries, I would rather we got him in than any of the others due to costs and his ability.

• Oleg G

Jan 11, 2012 at 10:09 AM

He is a good player as I remember. Winger? Obe to the bench then?

• Toon Tang

Jan 11, 2012 at 10:10 AM

this cracked me up in regard to andy carroll –

“I’ve heard that he’s on his way to Manchester United to play upfront with Wayne Rooney……. so that’s Shrek reunited with Donkey”

hahaha

• Ben3arfa

Jan 11, 2012 at 10:11 AM

would certainly be an “upgrade”

• davybtoon

Jan 11, 2012 at 10:12 AM

Hoillet would b amazing player to get

• GeordieDan

Jan 11, 2012 at 10:13 AM

Now this story I like !

Hoilett would be a great addition to our team if we can get him for decent money.

Hopefully could happen seeing as he’s out of contract in the Summer anyway. 😀

• bambams

Jan 11, 2012 at 10:13 AM

Every single time we read a quote it is “Newcastle are REPORTED” at …..Or “It is SUGGESTED Newcastle are interested”……Or “Newcastle might be looking”
    You get my point, once i hear from SSN that the player is having a medical i will then take more interest. I hape just added on previous post that i believe it is more likely we will continue in the same manner we have for the January transfer windows whereby we sell someone then in the dying minutes offer peanuts to world class stars just so that they can report “we tried but they did not want to come, we have identified players for the summer…………..”you know the rest.
    This chairman just does not give me confidence he is willing to spend money. IMO

• Ponderous Pardew

Jan 11, 2012 at 10:16 AM

5m would prise him away, I think. Perfect replacement for Lovenkrands.

Mbiwa would be a top-notch signing too. The way he moves and his style reminds me of a young Gallas. He’s 3 years Saylor’s junior, having played almost exactly the same amount of matches and is captain of his club – tipped to be a stalwart of the French back 4.

• GeordieDan

Jan 11, 2012 at 10:17 AM

100% go for Hoilett over that muppet Erdinc!

Scores more, quicker, more talented and would love to play for NUFC.

Erdinc’s a fool who missed his chance to move to the best club of his career in IMHO.

• Dannyo

Jan 11, 2012 at 10:19 AM

Tavernier returns and he won’t be going out on loan again, atleast not to Sheff Wed. Pardew not happy with them playing him on RW in the last two matches. Altho he’s done quite good there.

• alec6247toon

Jan 11, 2012 at 10:20 AM

If we could get Yanga Mbiwa and Hoilett then that would be fantastic. Hoilett can play as either a striker or a winger, so could cover the striking position whilst Ba is in africa and then could move him back to the wing when he’s back. I think the most likely thing however is going to be a pre-contract agreement with him if anything does happen.

• Lynxie

Jan 11, 2012 at 10:20 AM

……………Junior Hoilett would be an excellent acquisition and would provide the ammunition for a triumphant returning Andy Carroll, who is a really great player and we would all lobve to see him scoring regularly for Liverpool who are a great team with superb history, marvellous fans, have a wonderful stadium, and a brilliant manager. I love Andy Carroll, in fact I recently met a girl called Carol, my cat and dog are both called Andy, and have Liverpool posters on my bedroom wall. I think they are great.

No seriously, Hoilett is a top player. I was simply being Ed for a minute there.

• Dannyo

Jan 11, 2012 at 10:20 AM

@GeordieDan
    Why is Erdinc a muppet? It was his representatives that mucked up the deal, not getting the fees they wanted.
    Erdinc never did anything wrong, his representatives demanded too much in agent fees.

• John

Jan 11, 2012 at 10:23 AM

This guy has knows the PL has pace, quick feet, can shoot, cross and score goals being saying my prayers we go after him.

• davybtoon

Jan 11, 2012 at 10:23 AM

Can tavernier go out on loan anyway thought u couldn’t play for more than 2 teams in a season, play tavernier at right back I say top player

Geordiedan erding n hoillet don’t even play in the same position erding is very good striker n hoillet is a very good winger

• bambams

Jan 11, 2012 at 10:26 AM

I hope you lot are right about incoming signings of this calibre……..
    History just shows this chairman buys at poundland and i cannot see him changing.
    Hope i am wrong, just waiting for that familiar saying ” we did all we could but the transfer money will be used for players we are working strongly to identify in the summer, we will be ahead of the rest………

• 2_goal_tino

Jan 11, 2012 at 10:31 AM

For me CB has to be Mbiwa- he’s young, could challange Willo for a starting place this year and has huge potential. Vertonghen would be class but too expensive- unless he is the guy they were refering to when they said ‘there’s more money available for the right player.’

Hoilett would be good, but I can’t see us getting him. Getting him this month would be our best chance. If it’s about signing a pre-contract for a free transfer later he’ll have a pick of clubs to choose from. I say wait until the last day of the window when Blackburn will be desperate and make an approach then.

• Lynxie

Jan 11, 2012 at 10:35 AM

bambams:
    Cabaye may have been at Poundland, but he is quality.
    Ditto Demba Ba.
    Tiote was bought for peanuts but is our greatest asset.
    Marveaux looks like he is going to be a top player.
    Abeid (see above)
    Santon, (see cabaye)

Would you prefer a couple of Albert Luques, Jean Alain Boumsongs, Michael Owens, Silvio Maric’s, Marcelinos and Hugo Vianas brought in? We have done the ‘fat wallet’ thing before and it didnt work. remember ‘ A fool and his money are easily parted’. Clearly, BFCB is no fool. He isnt a football person either sadly.

• mattyNUFC

Jan 11, 2012 at 10:45 AM

now THIS is good news to wake up to….even if it is false 🙂

• mattyNUFC

Jan 11, 2012 at 10:55 AM

and for the record, even with 6 months on his contract, 7mil is more than reasonable for someone who as soon as they sign a longer and bigger deal will be worth roughly three times that

that’s a no brainer to me

• smithy434

Jan 11, 2012 at 11:06 AM

Krul
    Simo /Taylor Saylor Colo Santon
    Hoilett Cabaye Tiote Jonas
    BenArfa
    Ba

Elliot, Williamson,Simo/Taylor , Vuckic, Guthrie, Sammy, Shola

What a team that would be

• NUFC_DOWNUNDER

Jan 11, 2012 at 11:18 AM

Hoillett would be the perfect signing.. Just what we need..meh has goals in him and will put pressure on Gut and Oba and HBA for that matter.. He’s quick and unlike Oba he actually has a finished product…
    Would take Olsson from BB also while we’re at it.. Imagine

Santon Willo Collo Olsson
    Cabaye Tiote
    Hoilett Gut
    HBA
    BA

• bambams

Jan 11, 2012 at 11:20 AM

lynxie
    you have totally picked me up wrong mate, if that is my fault then oops.
    I just read over and over from other bloggers about “high calibre” signings- i just cant see ashley paying money for them.
    Yes you are spot on about our great value signings, i am more than happy with that and long may it continue. I never want us to waste money on guivarch, maric, boomsong etc
    my point was i cant see ashley spending money on high calibre players, history with this man soes not show this.
    Hope this clarifies

• Hoovernose

Jan 11, 2012 at 11:55 AM

@bambams
    Boomsong is a great player given enough game time, man.
    He was the best defender spuds had last season. Pardew would work wonders with him. Fo sho!

• Hoovernose

Jan 11, 2012 at 12:05 PM

I think we need quick cover in for Tiote, short time man, loads of experience, good tackler….oh I know. Let’s buy Alan Smith!

• ArtyH

Jan 11, 2012 at 12:14 PM

I’m sure we could do a deal with player and cash for the lad. Loverman wants out and Obertan could go IMHO plus cash. OR a straight swap for SMITH maybe, what a deal that would be…..LOL.

• geoff777

Jan 11, 2012 at 12:36 PM

I didn’t think you could sign a pre-contract agreement with a player from a club in the same league?

• Hoovernose

Jan 11, 2012 at 12:37 PM

@ArtyH
    He’s not fit to lace smudgers boots. Why we are looking at bolstering the best midfield in the league? I don’t know. And anyway the guy is only partly French, sacre f*****g blue!

• Hoovernose

Jan 11, 2012 at 12:39 PM

Sorry my bad, Hoilett sounds Dutch. Hot fer domma!

• shanghai fan

Jan 11, 2012 at 1:56 PM

Tasty

• Lynxie

Jan 12, 2012 at 8:20 AM

bambams:
    No worries mate, voice of reason and all that!!