Danny Guthrie Back For QPR Game – Wants To Stay On Tyneside

Danny Guthrie is fit again after his groin injury interrupted the run of  six games he had in the Newcastle first team.

Danny Guthrie – back in full training

Danny was in the best form of his career in those games,  which started with the Carling Cup tie at Blackburn, after Cheick Tiote had been injured in the Wigan game.

Tiote  is not available again as he’s off with Demba Ba to the African Cup of Nations, and they will not return until mid-February at the latest, so this could be another great opportunity for Danny.

19 year-old Mehdi Abeid deputized for Tiote last Saturday in the the 2-1 FA Cup win over Blackburn, and he played well, particularly in the second half.

Mehdi could keep his place for the game against QPR on Sunday, although it depends on how good Danny Guthrie has looked in training this week.

And Danny’s four year contract runs out in June, and we would expect Newcastle to renew his contract, but of course you just never know.

Danny is settled on Tyneside and wants to stay, and he even has his eye on getting an England cap it seems:

“Every English player would love to play for their country,”  “To be honest, if I could get a run of games from now until the end of the season where I was playing as I was before I got injured I’d have to say I could get an England call-up if I was playing like that.”

“I’m not trying to be big headed but seeing the players who have been called up for preliminary squads recently, I feel I might have a chance.”  “I do think about stuff like that but I need to stay fit and I need to get to those levels I was at before to do it.”

“It was probably the best five or six weeks that I’ve had here. I was finding some good form but the timing of the injury was bad. I was just starting to find my feet in the team, but these things happen and I just want to get back into things.”

“I should be fine for QPR, I returned to full training on Tuesday and will get a good few days in. I had a really good two weeks with the medical staff, who have been brilliant.”

“I have done a mini pre-season really so on that front I’m fine.”  “Me and my fiancee are very settled here. It’s home, we’ve got the baby here now,”

“I’d be keen to stay here, of course. It’s a massive club and the way this season has gone I can only see good times ahead. I’d love to be part of it.”

We’d like to see Danny Guthrie stay on Tyneside, but if he is not offered a new deal there will be a number of clubs interested in him, especially if he is a free agent in the summer,  and  both Aston Villa and Blackburn  are said to be interested.

But we have to think he’s been told a new contract will be forthcoming soon, because he appears rather relaxed about the whole thing,  and of course Danny is not only a first rate professional, but he’s a smashing lad too.

It would be great if Danny can come in on Sunday and recapture the form he showed earlier this season, as  the next six games while Ba and Tiote are away, are very important for Newcastle if we are to retain our high standing in the league table.

Comments welcome.

• FloridaToon

Jan 12, 2012 at 9:47 AM

His last few games before his injury is best I have seen him play. If he gets that same form back, I say sign him up.

• dutchy

Jan 12, 2012 at 9:48 AM

Yea he did well when Tiote was injured, give him a new contract as he’s good backup. Mehdi and Vuckic look really good, though I’m not really sure what to think about Gosling. Gosling just hasn’t performed at the level i expected him to have.. disappointed

• duncandisorderly

Jan 12, 2012 at 9:53 AM

Guthrie needs to kick the injury habit if he’s ever to really establish himself – hope he does from now on. Would be good to send Gosling out on loan and let us see what he can do week-in

• phillyg

Jan 12, 2012 at 9:56 AM

I’d go with Abeid over Guthrie for Tiotes replacement. Abied will sit back and be more defensive than Guthrie allowing Cabaye to work his magic going forward. Guthrie and Cabaye both very good but we looked weakened defensivley when they played together.

• Ollieh51

Jan 12, 2012 at 9:58 AM

@ Dutchy -He’s scored a goal and looked decent bearing in mind he’s still a young lad.

If nothing else, he was free and is a great player to have as a utility player for us.

Think we are spoilt with the quality of our youth players ot be honest!!

• Dannyo

Jan 12, 2012 at 10:03 AM

U can’t help liking the lad. So well balanced and down to earth. Great news that he’d sign a new contract. However his injury problems could hamper that tho, but he should be on fairly low wages. Had great form before his injury, hopefully he can jump straight back on track and continue that.
    Deffo a starter against QPR imo, well, may depends on what style Pardew wants to play.

• FloridaToon

Jan 12, 2012 at 10:06 AM

Here is one I haven’t seen before:

Robbin Ruiter
    Newcastle are thought to have made initial contact over the potential £300,000 capture of Dutch goalkeeper Robbin Ruiter. The FC Volendam shot stopper could play second fiddle to fellow countryman Tim Krul should he make a move. Championship leaders Southampton are also rumoured to be interested in the 24-year-old.

• Dannyo

Jan 12, 2012 at 10:09 AM

@Floridatoon
    I think i saw that a few months back tho. Is it up somewhere today?

• Tsunki

Jan 12, 2012 at 12:25 PM

About a year or so ago Guthrie was dire – he had a run of games where he didn’t seem to fit anywhere and couldn’t pass to save his life – in fact I believe his worst game finished with him injuring himself when making a horrible backpass that led to conceding a goal. However, as has been said, he’s been completely different lately and seems to have benefited from competition for places in midfield. To me he looks like a genuine trier and fits in with the work ethic that seems to be being built here. I say keep him, I think if he stays off the physio table he will become a regular, esp if Tiote goes.

• South African Magpie

Jan 12, 2012 at 4:48 PM

I say give him a shot.He hasn’t always been performing at a hundred percent of his potential, but while filling in during Chieck’s injury and in a few scattered appearances before he has shown tremendous promise.Give the lad a chance, he can deliver.