Newcastle Teenager Wants To Be Better Than Cheick Tiote One Day

There’s nothing like thinking big and having dreams for the future,  and our 19 year-old top youngster Mehdi Abeid wants to become a top player at Newcastle.

Mehdi Abeid – could blossom on Tyneside

And if the two games he has played for the Newcastle first team so far are anything to go by, at Nottingham Forest in the Carling Cup and last Saturday against Blackburn Rovers in the FA Cup, he could do exactly that.

With Cheick Tiote away on African Nations Cup duty perhaps as far out as the middle of February,  Abeid is hoping to get in a few first team appearances in,  and he hopes to keep his place for the game against QPR at home on Sunday afternoon.

The Algerian U23 and France U19 International defensive midfielder  had this to say to the local press today:

“It’s not easy to replace Cheick, but I think I can help the team.” “I need more experience and more time on the pitch in the Premier League.”

“I hope to do well game after game, and to show what I can do.” “I hope one day to be better than Cheick!”

“We have recovered well, and want to win every game.”  “I want more time to play. I hope to do well every week.”

“I work hard every day in training.” “I just want to train very well, and the gaffer will decide who plays.”

“I hope to play against QPR. The more games I play, the more experience I get. It’s what I want.”

Mehdi Abeid has done really well since joining the club last summer, and he was expected to be part of the Development squad this season.

But the youngster was so impressive in training in July that he forced his way onto the plane for the American  tour, and has been part of the first team squad ever since.

Mehdi could well be challenging for a first team starting position as early as next season on Tyneside, and we certainly hope that’s the case.

Queens Park Rangers will travel to Tyneside on Sunday, and will hope to get back on track after not having a win in the last eight league games and losing six of them.

New manager Mark Hughes will want to improve that rather dismal record, but we hope it’s not not on Sunday.

• ochytoon

Jan 13, 2012 at 1:52 PM

There are no comments yet … please kick things off by filling out the form below.

• GAZ09

Jan 13, 2012 at 2:05 PM

You never know he might just be Tiotes replacement by the end of january

• toonbrother

Jan 13, 2012 at 2:21 PM

when did abeid become a defensive midfielder

• AaranPD

Jan 13, 2012 at 2:21 PM

Even though I am very excited about the prospect of Abeid I think this is a chance for Gosling to show us whether he can make it as a Newcastle player, I was very happy when we signed but sadly he has not had game time to impress and I think this is the perfect opportunity to do so.

• badboy78

Jan 13, 2012 at 2:49 PM

I’d certainly give him 20 minutes against QPR

• TOONTony89

Jan 13, 2012 at 4:47 PM

I think Abeid should’t start on Saturday. He sounds like a smashing lad (BBC interview) and defiantly has great potential but I think tomorrow is just one step to far. He said and looked very nervous against Blackburn and I think if not for a moment of magic by HBA we could have lost that game. QPR are on a bad run at the moment but I think with the new insights of Sparky I think they will be a real threat tomorrow especially Wright-Phillips. I think they will be alot tougher opponents then people are giving them credit for. An early goal to put there heads down and destroy there optimism would be a blessing. I think Gosling will just give us that little bit extra experience of playing a couple more premiership games. Also even though HBA had a great impact on the RW on wed I would still play him at no 10 because I can’t see him tracking back and feel Raylor will be the much safer option and he puts in lovely balls as well. He also played very well against ManU and deserves to keep his place. HBA can play the Messi, Van der Vaart role (obv not as good) and just have freedom of the pitch without worrying about defending. Can’t wait for tomorrow! HWTL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• TOONTony89

Jan 13, 2012 at 5:38 PM

Love Lawro with the Toon predicting 1-1 for Sunday. I’m happy his results never come true or we would be relegation candidates. We beat the league champions last week…come on…….I think QPR will be tougher than people are predicting but anything but a win would be a bad result even without Tiote and Ba. I believe Best will step up again like this time last year and bag a goal on Sun. I think he is quite underrated and still has a good goals/game ratio lol.

• bigglestoon

Jan 13, 2012 at 6:24 PM

Abeid is supposed to be quality. My mate watched him training. He said he was very good although looked quite attacking. He also said that he might be a little nervous. He has a very neat first touch though. Has good ball playing ability as well as working hard.

• Dennis Twice

Jan 13, 2012 at 8:47 PM

Attack Abeid, Attack toon Attack!

• Brutooon

Jan 14, 2012 at 12:08 AM

agreed with toonbrother

since when Abeid is a defensive midfield?

i remember when we sign him he is an attacking midfield/wing type of player

• AaranPD

Jan 14, 2012 at 7:39 AM

My team for tomorrow would be;

krul
    Raylor – Williamson – Colo – Santon
    Jonas – Gosling – Cabaye – Ben Arfa
    Shola – Best

I think this formation will allow Gosling and Ben Arfa to not worry to much about defence and concentrate with attack I think Cabaye should sit back a bit more and use his passing talents to string the ball through to the attackers.

• toon_army_redlichtie85