Danny Guthrie Has Earned New Contract On Tyneside

Danny Guthrie put in a great performance for Newcastle yesterday in the game against QPR.

Danny Guthrie – will get a new deal on Tyneside

Guthrie came straight back into the team after recovering form his groin strain, and he picked up where he left off about six games ago – when he played very well indeed in Newcastle’s great 1-0 win,  that put the team up to 6th place in the league.

Guthrie will be out of contract in June, but the  Newcastle manager Alan Pardew wants him to stay on Tyneside, and that’s hardly surprising:

”He’s out of contract, and I’ll look to have a conversation with him and his agent this week and try to secure him. I want him to stay.”

“He’s got a great confidence on the ball, and he’s happy on the stage. Not many people can play in front of 52,000 in terms of taking a risk, and he takes a risk.”

“I’m pleased that Guthrie got man of the match from Sky.”

Guthrie will be in great demand if Newcastle don’t sign him up,  and Aston Villa are just one of the several clubs who are already interested in the 24 year-old.

The Shrewsbury-born and former Liverpool midfielder will  get a run in the side while Cheick Tiote  is away on African Cup of Nations duty with the Ivory Coast.

But if Danny plays as well as he did yesterday, it will be a bit difficult for Alan Pardew to drop him,  when Tiote returns from his efforts for his country.

Danny seems  very confident in a black and white shirt these days  and he is sure he can fill in well for Tiote:

“I did that last time and had six or seven games when I did well. I have just got back from injury, it was difficult but I’m glad to be back.”

Danny seems to be very willing to wait for his opportunity and then get the job done for Newcastle, which of course is  the job of a squad player, but they are very important to the team.

Newcastle need to strengthen their overall squad significantly in the summer, and we are confident they will do just that.

Danny says that patience is the key to success for the Newcastle squad players, and he’s  right about that:

“We have had to be patient and be ready when called upon which we have done.”

We have to hope that the Magpies sign Danny up soon, and hope that  Alan Pardew’s meeting with Dannyy’s agent later this week is fruitful.

And while Newcastle are at it –  they need to sign up our captain Fabricio Coloccini for a few more years too.

• Beattie25

Jan 16, 2012 at 1:13 PM

I see the mackems are after Papiss Cisse. What a signing he would be for us. Imagine Ba and Cisse up front together.

That would be the Premiershiip title right there

• Beattie25

Jan 16, 2012 at 1:13 PM

Balls first

• Beattie25

Jan 16, 2012 at 1:14 PM

Even reading a book at bed time a climbing into his bed is too good for Ashley

• ryan toon

Jan 16, 2012 at 1:16 PM

cissokho is coming to nufc 7.75 mill accepted COME ON

• Klatoon

Jan 16, 2012 at 1:20 PM

Ryan,whats your source,or sauce even? 🙂

• ryan toon

Jan 16, 2012 at 1:21 PM

Ive been told he is expected in later today :L

• GeordieToon89

Jan 16, 2012 at 1:21 PM

Ryan toon – who said this

• Brettoon

Jan 16, 2012 at 1:22 PM

Ryan Toon – where do you get that from??

• ryan toon

Jan 16, 2012 at 1:23 PM

ive been told and expect him for a medical today

• -Tendo-

Jan 16, 2012 at 1:25 PM

RYAN – heard from who thought?? sounds like makey makey stories to me

• Liam

Jan 16, 2012 at 1:26 PM

i know he’s a top quality player and all, but is full back really were were weak?? Santon, Taylor, Simpson and even James Tavenier from what i hear from a few Wednesday fans he looked pretty decent. 8 million on another striker would be a better shout or even a centre half. I doubt this transfer, as ashley doesn’t like to dip into his pockets and surely he wont seeing as we’ve got decent players in that position already (unless someone’s on there way out aswell ??)

• Rowan Milsted

Jan 16, 2012 at 1:27 PM

We really have to keep Guthrie at Newcastle, no doubt. Great player to have.

@ ryan toon

No offence intended but I’ll believe it when it happens! Hopefully you’re right!

• Rowan Milsted

Jan 16, 2012 at 1:28 PM

PS – does anyone else have a mild heart attack when Perch comes on?

• G

Jan 16, 2012 at 1:29 PM

I do hope Guthrie signs an extention, he’s definately looking the part, now the manager can see he is not / never was a winger. He has played some of his best football this season, and I would hate to see him playing it for another team. Regards the Cissoko rumours I have seen loads of chatter on Twitter, but nothing from official sources, or even accurate sources. Is there something out there more concrete Ryan?

• Ben3arfa

Jan 16, 2012 at 1:29 PM

@ryan toon ,, if ur “sources” are correct then what is the justification to us signing cissokho? full back is not the biggest need for our squad atm

• Beattie25

Jan 16, 2012 at 1:30 PM

@ Liam

We are not weak but we could still add quality. Our LB situation is nearly null and void and why are you getting so sad over the fact that Newcastle may be taking thier team to the next level?

• Liam

Jan 16, 2012 at 1:30 PM

I do!!! i would much prefer Alan Smith coming on for 10 minutes to see a game out !!!

• ilovetoon8788

Jan 16, 2012 at 1:31 PM

Really Ryan?

I’ve also been told our 36million bid for Hazard has been accepted. And that he will at our training ground later today.

• Liam

Jan 16, 2012 at 1:31 PM

i am not getting sad about it, i just think for us to get to that next level we need to invest in other weaker areas? dont you agree?

• listie

Jan 16, 2012 at 1:32 PM

@ Rowan #13 Did you say mild!! full on cardiac arrest whenever he even look close to coming on.

Guthrie deserves and new contract he has has looked excellent in his last few games

• Beattie25

Jan 16, 2012 at 1:33 PM

Some of you are so daft it honestly beggars belief.

Moaning about the fact we may sign a LB!!!

FFS sake it would show ambition, it would show increase in the quality available it would add to the depth. I’m sure Cissokho could play LB/RB/LW etc…

All I hear is ‘we don’t need a LB’ Blah blah effin blah

You won’t be saying that if Santon get’s injured will ya?

We do need a LB, we do need a CB, we do need a RW and we do need a ST. Get it into your heads that any purchases made will improve the team. ARRGGGHHH you lot do my head in. I’m off for a lie down.

• sirtoongospel

Jan 16, 2012 at 1:34 PM

@13 – no.

As a defensive midfield player he is quite decent, but at CB he is too lightweight. He actually has a bit about him when he plays in midfield and likes a tackle.

• Klatoon

Jan 16, 2012 at 1:36 PM

Yes LB may not be our weakest position but any1 who’s watched Cissokho regularly will tell you he’s much more than just a fullback. He’ll boost our offensive play down the left with his surging runs and crossing. But i doubt he’ll be coming to NUFC.

• Liam

Jan 16, 2012 at 1:36 PM

@Beattie25

course we do, but in the realistic world of Mike Ashley were going to get 1 or 2 signing maximum. and LB wouldnt be up in my personal priorities

• John

Jan 16, 2012 at 1:36 PM

yanga from monpellier looks alot like a young william gallas can play cb and lb he wud be my shout.

• Beattie25

Jan 16, 2012 at 1:37 PM

What areas are weaker?

Depth wise CB & LB are akin to one another as their is no cover for either. I’d much rather purcahse a LB, get a CB on loan and push Remi Streete forward next season when Saylor gets back and then we will have 2 first choice CB’s, two sub CB’s (one youth one experienced).

As for other areas we do not lack depth we lack quality in depth so there isn’t 1 position I would choose over another if I was manager, but I am not, so I’ll leave it to Pardew to explain if Cissokho signs.

• sirtoongospel

Jan 16, 2012 at 1:40 PM

I’m not fussed if we sign him or not Beattie, I am more concerned about his form for the last 8 or 9 months than hes cost of his position. A good player in any position would be more than welcome, but a player in poor form for so long?

His pedigree is great, but Pardew has stated that he bringing in one defender, so if that was the case if it was a choice we would all want a CB, as everyone indicated in the Summer also, we are light there too.

Ideally, it would be a LB, CB, winger and a Striker. That would be superb, but can you see it?

• Rowan Milsted

Jan 16, 2012 at 1:42 PM

@ 22

You’re right, he is better as a CDM than a CB, but you’re also right when you call him lightweight! I just feel that I’ve seen enough of him now to conclude that he isn’t good enough for the Premiership. It does worry me when he comes on, though I prefer to see him as CDM than a CB. That said, I’m sure we could have easily flogged him to a decent Championship club by now if he really was that bad, so perhaps Pardew sees something in him that I don’t. Hopefully he’ll prove me wrong… but when he plays CB I can hardly watch.

• drongo

Jan 16, 2012 at 1:43 PM

I presume if the Cissokho story has legs, it means the Simmo contract talks have stalled.

Two top quality FBs is a good place to be. Raylor deputising for either when he needs to.

I would then be after a decent young up and coming CB, we already have 2 international class CBs and one proven prem class (Willo) as back up.

We arent going to get a Samba, a Cahill or an Alex to be a number 4….

• -Tendo-

Jan 16, 2012 at 1:46 PM

People aren’t moaning, it’s just the fact that right now, we don’t need him. We need a CB and striker, if’s its true that we only have 8mil this window and we’re spending it on a LB, it seems rather stupid.

However, saying that i would love to see Cissokho come here but i don’t think it will happen anyway….Lyon are just trying to drum up interest in a player they want rid off…

• ilovetoon8788

Jan 16, 2012 at 1:47 PM

Seems like Moussa Sow could be on his way to the liverfools.

• Beattie25

Jan 16, 2012 at 1:49 PM

sirtoongospel

form is temporary, class is pemanent. Sometimes form can be attributed to whats going on insside the club, personal problems with the club/area you live etc…

I think I believe If Graham Carr says ‘Yes, this lad is worth X amount’ I would believe Graham Carr.

• sirtoongospel

Jan 16, 2012 at 1:50 PM

@28, yeah, at CB I nearly have heart failure, but having said that, a few years ago, Colo was not exactly up to it, maybe if he settles down then he will be a good pro for us, and not on massive money, so fingers crossed he continues to do ok

• JackButler

Jan 16, 2012 at 1:53 PM

Believe it or not but Pappis Cisse was close to joining Blackburn and Fulham at the start of the season, wages were agreed but negotiations on the fee broke down twice neither willing to meet the 11mil asking price according to gabriele marcotti. The player was said to be devastated that the move never happened.

He would be the perfect signing for us

• sirtoongospel

Jan 16, 2012 at 1:54 PM

Beattie, class is included in how you are as a person, and when you get paid massive money, and he does, then he should be busting a gut for his club. Failure to do that suggestes a complete lack of class in my eyes. See a Mr Michael Owen as prime example number 1. as good as players are, refusal to perform if you fancy a move is unforgiveable.

Lyon can’t wait to get rid. Why is that?

• niafron

Jan 16, 2012 at 1:55 PM

Bonjour messieurs.

Incredible interview of Beny today in France. Remember when i told you he was close of singer Abd al malik and probably member of a religious brotherhood?

Well, it seem he was totaly unhappy of that, and said he was almost caugth in a sect!

Don’t have time to say more, but don’t worry, the english press will probably speak of that quickly, if it’s not already the case.

If you read french:

Got to go.

BOnne journée messieurs.

• toonincheek

Jan 16, 2012 at 1:56 PM

We just gotta have someone as good as Guthrie for a bit of rotation when we are in Europe next year.
    No point making it to Europe with a squad that can’t cope with the extra demands.

Tiote must be burned out after each game, the amount of running he does. Plus his yellow cards and the occasional injury. And assuming he is still with us next season.

Danny – we need you. Stay Stay STAY.

And MA – give him a decent contract.

• Ollieh51

Jan 16, 2012 at 1:58 PM

@ Toonincheek – 100% agree.

We need to now show the stability with a bare bones squad to get into the European places but then develop a wholse squad to keep us there as well.

This will take another 2 years perhaps and it will be tough in Europa as we have such a thin sqquad but looking forward to seeing a similar ilk of players coming to the Toon.

• Beattie25

Jan 16, 2012 at 1:59 PM

@ sirtoongospel

They wan’t to get rid cos of their finances.

Do you watch him every week? Do you know him personally?

To say he doesn’t bust a gut is laughable as you don’t watch him week in week out, you don’t see him train.

He has not refused to play becausehe fancies a move (you must be thinking of Maiga) and comparing him to Owen is unfair as I doubt he will be a ‘mercenary’ and only coming to Newcastle for the money.

• Colo-Sus

Jan 16, 2012 at 2:06 PM

@4 Ryan

You are a total idiot if you believe that….

No chace Im tellign you now! we wont sign anyone this window I honestly believe that.

Itll be last ditch fake attempts.

I am not being a neggar just realistic, I think The job Pardew is doing is amazing, but wise up guys the rumours we hear are 50% fan generated and 50% media. Nothing from ”Club sources” or any other ”source” is ever believable.

I dont see us ever paying more that 5 mil for anyone under ashley and Pardew will have to sell to buy. Its all smoke screens and bollocks.

Wehn you see a player with a black and white scarf over his head and the east stand behind him……Then we have signed them. Until then STOP MAKING UP HOPEFUL RUBBISH!

LEARN