The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Good News – This Is Why Newcastle Will Keep Demba Ba

9:52 am, Thursday, January 19th, 2012 by Ed Harrison · 27 Comments

The Newcastle Journal is reporting today that the release clause in Demba Ba’s contract doesn’t take effect until the summer.

Demba Ba - unplayable as shown here against Manchester United

We have to hope that’s true because if it is, it’s small wonder that the Newcastle hierarchy were said to be relaxed about the Demba Ba contract situation.

The Journal is reporting that Ba’s own future seems to be assured on Tyneside, and in this transfer window,  and the release clause in truth is not an issue in January.

The Newcastle club will now renegotiate his contract when he gets back from  the African Cup of Nations,  and presumably restructure his wages so he will get a  higher base wage on top of which are incentives for games played and  goals  scored, because of  his  dodgy knee.

With the 15 goals scored and 21 appearances made, he should be doing very well financially so far this season.

But that knee has held up very well so far, which is another reason that  Newcastle will feel okay about renegotiating the contract.

We don’t think Demba Ba has any desire to leave Newcastle United, but that will not stop other clubs from being interested in him this summer,  if he manages to core say 25 goals for Newcastle this season.

But if that happens then those clubs will have to pay the market rate for one of the best strikers around,  and that’s an awful lot of money and they may even have to pay the whole amount up front in cool cash – if Mike Ashley has his way

There’s not many of the big clubs have that kind of cash because the world’s top clubs clubs like Real Madrid, Barcelona, Manchester United and the like,  usually borrow the money and pay for  the deal in yearly installments.

That’s why most clubs are in so much debt,  which is why the Financial Fair Play rules are coming into effect in Europe, to effectively save these clubs from themselves.

The good news is that Newcastle are getting into very good shape financially,  and as we have mentioned before,  the Tyneside club could even make a profit when the current financial year end in June.

So we think this is all good news – if it’s true – as far as Demba Ba is concerned, although he may still move in the summer.

But we’ll leave you with one question – if Andy Carroll is worth £35M how much would a club have to pay for Demba Ba?

We don’t think Ba is going anywhere,  especially that Papiss Cisse will be joining him on Tyneside to terrorize Premier League defenses up and down the country. :D

Howay The Lads!!

Tags: Contracts · Demba Ba · Newcastle News · Papiss Cisse

27 responses so far ↓

• 1 ryan toon // Jan 19, 2012 at 9:53 AM

hi guys, can someone plz tell me what this bouduleuz rumour is

• 2 roshan MAGPIE // Jan 19, 2012 at 9:58 AM

• 3 roshan MAGPIE // Jan 19, 2012 at 9:59 AM

if there are strong rumours that we are going to sign a certain player then i am DAMN sure that we wont sign him cause that IS what has happened till now :-)

• 4 Edd Case // Jan 19, 2012 at 10:06 AM

AP would have brought in Cisse to partner Ba no doubt at all.

I still think we will be at the mercy of the clubs with much bigger transfer budgets though.

If Liverpool, Spurs, Man City etc WANT Ba, Tiote, Krul, Cabaye etc that much, they’ll offer silly money again and I think we’ll see another AC situation.

However, look at what we’ve done with that money…

So, if we were to lose others in a similar fashion, potentially, it could be a good thing, albeit hard to swallow initially.

Financially, we are getting much stronger and player-wise, I think we’re a million miles from where we were just 2 seasons ago.

Rome wasn’t built in a day!

(Still think we REALLY need another top CB – if we get one in, we really could give some ‘bigger’ teams a run for their money for a Euro spot)

• 5 Steviebaby1978 // Jan 19, 2012 at 10:06 AM

Demba and Cisse

Newcastle Uniteds very own Ant and Dec!!!!!!

• 6 Magpies-till-d3ath // Jan 19, 2012 at 10:08 AM

Senegal are on eurosport UK on saturday! I really hope BA and cisse start. So we can all see what they’ll be like.

• 7 LewSpi // Jan 19, 2012 at 10:16 AM

Edd Case

I agree completely, I don’t think we have seen the last of our best players leaving, however, like you say, look what we have done with the AC money, if we were to get hypothetically another £35m for Ba, and we manage to improve in the same fortitude with that money, we would be in a position where we could say no to clubs, because if we improved by the same amount again, we’d be in the top four.

From Championship to potential Europe qualifiers in 18 months is an incredible improvement, if we were to do the same again over 18 months, like I say, we’re in a much better position to say no to transfer offers. Just like Spurs could turn down £40 mil for Modric depsite him not being worth that.

I think people are finally starting to understand ‘the 5 year plan’, I know a few (Bills-son) say they have seen it since the sale of AC, and fair play, but I think the general fan is starting to see it now, and more importantly, he is starting to embrace it.

• 8 AK Malaysia // Jan 19, 2012 at 10:21 AM

Just think that mackems goals & that goal vs Spurs.. made us happy & smile, right.. SO please put back Ameobi (small will do) at the banner.. Should show a little bit of respect! TQ ED..

• 9 Rotonda heights // Jan 19, 2012 at 10:22 AM

It’s funny

I wasn’t bothered about carrill, nolan or barton. the only one I missed was enrique, but looking a t Santon now, maybe we even got that right as well.

Nolan = Ben Arfa
    Barton = Cabaye
    Carroll = Ba
    Enrique = santon.

47M in, 15M out
    Superb business

• 10 evthegeordie // Jan 19, 2012 at 10:29 AM

Is there not a way we could change the contract if Ba agrees? Then we would get a decent price for him in the summer if he does go!

QPR 0-2 NUFC

Best, Shola.

HWTL

• 11 evthegeordie // Jan 19, 2012 at 10:30 AM

Fulham 0-2 Toon, sorry oops

• 12 Irie-Magpie // Jan 19, 2012 at 10:36 AM

Lewspi, i second that, i think when MA rolled out his 5yr plan fans/supporters where still caught up in the Sheppard Era where we didn’t have a plan and all we did was pay over the odds for over the hill players.
    Fans/Supporters who didn’t get it (5YR PLAN) must not have any business sense because we all know when you start up a business you need a plan. Bill-son/Big-kirky and a few ours saw this and because of their vision got labelled and abused.

MA is a business man and he’s going to ensure his business ventures prosper no matter what.
    NUFC is a FOOTBALL CLUB (A GREAT ONE) but it’s also a BUSINESS.

• 13 ALAN1974 // Jan 19, 2012 at 10:52 AM

not 1st

• 14 Solaidback // Jan 19, 2012 at 10:55 AM

Cisse sign a 5 & 1/2 yr contract after Ba convinced him to come & play for the Toon, so I doubt that Ba will leave us anytime soon, I think he’ll be offered a similar contract to Cisse & then the pair of them will terrorise the PL for the next few seasons at least :)

As for clubs trying to buy either of them, I think you’ll find that the only clubs with that much cold hard cash are Chelski & Citey… the like of Cessepool, Manc Usa & Spurts don’t have a pot to piss in & as said by Ed, try to buy players on the never never basis & we all know Ashley wants cash up front & even if your a week late, you get charged interest, as he did for Carroll, got him a 12k bonus out of that deal… lol

So forget the like of Spurts trying to buy any of our top players, they can’t afford it, nit unless they sell the likes of Modric, Bale or maybe VDV, plus they are struggling to keep players due to their 70k/wk wage cap & they’d have to offer any of our way over that to go to Shyte Arss Lane anyways… ;) ;)

• 15 martoon // Jan 19, 2012 at 11:10 AM

I don’t think the fans will ever sing his name but if MA just gave an interview and explained his plans and thinking I think he would win over a few more hearts and minds – as I’ve said before the guy cannot be shy he runs a multi-million pound business!
    I’m not a MA lover and I’m still worried we are going to sell one of our big names such as Krul but would at least like him to be less secretive.

• 16 geordie@bergen_norway // Jan 19, 2012 at 11:43 AM

Cisse – Ba
    Our new Shearer – Ferdinand?

• 17 Irie-Magpie // Jan 19, 2012 at 11:58 AM

@13
    It’s looking like that, ohh happy days, albeit when they come back but if we reach 40pts in the next few games I’d say we’re going to push hard for fourth place.

• 18 Irie-Magpie // Jan 19, 2012 at 12:00 PM

That should be @17′

• 19 Visten // Jan 19, 2012 at 12:51 PM

@16 even ha ha

• 20 stretchintoon // Jan 19, 2012 at 1:13 PM

if we can get smith & his 40k per week off the books & replace him with a c/b for around the same sort of wages id be well happy.should get a decent c/b for 30k/40k p/w

• 21 bills-son // Jan 19, 2012 at 2:12 PM

For those fans worried about us selling in this window …

I know the agent of one on the Toon’s top players and he is very much in the know at NUFC. He told me (which I posted on here 3 weeks ago) that despite Pardew saying we weren’t going to buy a striker in this window the Toon WERE going to buy one if they could get the right one in. Pardew’s statement was a smokescreen to stop clubs thinking we were desperate because of Ba going to the ACN.

We all know what happened on Tuesday! Cisse!

My agent mate has told me (again posted previously on here) that NO top player is being touted around other clubs. Not Tiote, not Krul, not Ba, not Cabaye. NOBODY.

That doesn’t of course stop clubs making offers. But – just like AC – the club doesn’t want to sell and it will take STUPID money for them to even consider it. Stupid money is double+ what a player is worth ie., £40M for Tiote, £30M for Krul, £25M for Cabaye.

I don’t of course know that those figures above are correct – they are my opinion – but it isn’t my opinion that no top player is being touted for sale. I believe my agent mate, and I think fans should stop panicking that Cisse coming is definitely going to be balanced by a big sale.

There will be no cheap or even value for money top departures from the Toon – unless a player with little left on his contract refuses to sign a new one. And even then Ashley will screw the buying club for as much as he can get.

• 22 martoon // Jan 19, 2012 at 2:30 PM

Bill-son – I remember when you posted about that – if I remember correctly I don’t think many people believed you. I hope you are right about this also. I think we all know that if offered stupid money for a player we would sell but I find it interesting that ‘stupid money’ has actually been defined as double plus.
    I’ll sleep more easily tonight. p.s. who is Bill?

• 23 bills-son // Jan 19, 2012 at 3:17 PM

martonn – I find it interesting that ‘stupid money’ has actually been defined as double plus.

Remember, I said double plus is just my opinion – as are the valuations. Also remember that I said it would take stupid money to make MA ‘consider’ selling. That doesn’t mean he would sell only that stupid money would make him think about it seriously. Anything less and he would reject it out of hand – as he did right up to £30M with Carroll. Ashley has more history of rejecting big offers than accepting them!

Again, my posts shouldn’t be taken as facts but considered opinions based on genuine, albeit limited. ‘inside information’. I also understand that Ashley has a plan – he has told us often enough what it is – and that he is sticking to that plan ie., increase our income, cut wasteful expenditure, build up the youth acedemy, buy top young talent at bargain prices, sell players unworthy of new contracts (especially older ones), offer new contracts well before the end of old ones to the top players, and sell any player who doesn’t re-sign before their contract ends.

It’s a plan he has followed since we got relegated – and it working brilliantly.

As for who I am, I’m Bills Son.

My dad, God bless him, took me to my first Toon match in 1959 and I started going to every home game from 1961. My dad captained his county, I played at a decent amateur level, my brother was a pro and is still involved in the professional game, I come from a football – and Toon daft- background. I also know the agent of one of Toon’s top players.

That’s me – just a mad daft fan.

And yes, I really do believe Ashley is the best owner of NUFC in my 50 years of supporting the Toon.

And no – I’m not Ashley or Llambias in disguise, or their lovechild, or their ar$e licker. Honest!

• 24 martoon // Jan 19, 2012 at 3:28 PM

Ok cheers Bills-son – I misread your post, I thought your agent friend had said about stupid money being double plus. Nice that I’m not the oldest on this forum as I was only 1 year old in 1959.

• 25 cupiddstunt // Jan 19, 2012 at 8:48 PM

Martoon # 24

You are a long way from being the oldest on here, I remember walking from Byker (couldn’t afford the bus fair and the game) to the ground with older brother and pals from 1957 onwards.

When I was a little older if I remember this correctly we used to climb into the ground over the toilets wall at Leases Trce. Until they barb wired it all.

So you have bit to go yet. :-)

• 26 martoon // Jan 19, 2012 at 11:00 PM

Cupiddstunt – I am old enough to have had friends who use to do the same thing – climb over the toilet wall at the Leazes End. That reminds me those toilets were the most disgusting thing I can remember when I was a kid!

• 27 numba9 // Jan 20, 2012 at 11:29 AM

we really shouldnt be selling anybody, just before the cisse signing we were all bemoaning the lack of depth up front and certainly at the back so one signing doesnt really change this much, but im sure the lad cisse will be a great signing when he returns from africa with demba and cheik. buy a centre back and push on!

previous post: Alan Pardew And Coaches Want To Push On At Newcastle