Central Defender Still Top Priority For Newcastle

Newcastle are still after a central defender, and as we reported yesterday, Newcastle are busy working hard to bring a young center-back into the club in the next 11 days.

Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa – Montpellier captain could be Newcastle target?

West Ham’s 22 year-old James Tomkins is still a player Newcastle would like to get,  but whether West Ham will sell him in January, when they are on a promotion drive,  is debatable.

And Newcastle will bring in some other young players in January, if they can find the right ones, and get a decent deal too.

Ravel Morrison of Manchester United remains a target, but it would appear the Manchester club doesn’t want to sell him to an English club,  and he may end up at Roma, who are said to be bidding £500K for the youngster.

Pardew talked to the local press today about who Newcastle still need:

“We still need a defender.” “Don’t forget that – I haven’t lost sight on that.” “We’re working hard on that to bring one in.”

“But we still have to be on guard to protect our top players too.”

The transfer window runs out a week come Tuesday, which is the last day of the window, so we hope we can bring in a center-back and a youngster by then.

And of course we have to hope we can keep all our best players through February 1st, although the news is that while Manchester United have cooled their interest in Cheick Tiote, both Chelsea and Manchester City stay more than interested in the Ivorian.

We have to keep our best players so we can mount a challenge in the last 17 league games of the season, and we could even surprise ourselves at how high up in the league we can finish,  with a good run through the end of the season.

We got 25 points in our first 11 games (7 wins – 4 draws),  and if we can get say 27 points from our last 17 games –  say 7 wins and 6 draws and 4 defeats – which is possible – we would have 63 points which was good enough for 5th place last season and just 5 points out of  4th place and the European Champions league.

And there comes a time when  being successful with a good team is more important than making money from selling a top player,  and we think that time has almost come on Tyneside.

We certainly hope it has.

• roshan MAGPIE

Jan 20, 2012 at 12:52 PM

every GEORDIE will be flying high even if get qualified for europa league itself

• dmac

Jan 20, 2012 at 12:53 PM

Angelo Ogbonna keeps getting mentioned as a rumour too

• John

Jan 20, 2012 at 12:53 PM

Yanga looks a top top player in the making, i see bassong is availible for loan if what happened in the past can be put to bed wit fans and players hed make a great signing never really got his chance at spurs.

• Brutooon

Jan 20, 2012 at 12:55 PM

we need another CB since Saylor is already out for the season

• sirtoongospel

Jan 20, 2012 at 12:55 PM

Mbiwa would be tremendous. If we sign him then I would say we were ready for lift off when the boys come back from Africa.

Still not enjoying Pardews comments of “being on our guard for Champions League teams coming in for our players”.

How do you be on your guard? If they bid, they bid. F*** all you can do about it, and if you are that keen to keep the player then you reject the bid. Simple as that.

If it really was £25 millionfor Cheick, then I reckon they will accept it. But they absolutely don’t have to.Cheick is probably the easiest to replace (type of player he is). so for me, the one we desperately need to keep is Krul. wouldn’t sell him for £30 million me. He is almost irreplaceable for us I would think. Could end up being the very best keeper in the world

• RobertNufc25

Jan 20, 2012 at 12:56 PM

Dont think Ashley would have Bassong back anyways.

Didn’t he refuse to play against Dundee United that pre season??

• LoonyToon

Jan 20, 2012 at 1:03 PM

“We got 25 points in our first 11 games (7 wins – 4 draws), and if we can get say 27 points from our last 17 games – say 7 wins and 6 draws and 4 defeats – which is possible – we would have 63 points”

Should that not be 52 points 🙂

What position would that get us compared to last year. Unless it’s a double typo.

• TTT

Jan 20, 2012 at 1:05 PM

Heard we were after Samba today, he’s 27 but would still be quality if we bring him in on the cheap

• jayphoto

Jan 20, 2012 at 1:06 PM

bassongs available for like 10m though….. never worth that! I heard we were looking at Sebastien Corchia of sochaux , Benjamin Stambouli of montpellier and Benoît Trémoulinas of bordeaux! few new names to throw into the hat! I’ve only seen Corchia play live, he’s a good prospect right back though….

• dmac

Jan 20, 2012 at 1:06 PM

I think its highlighting our form at the beginning. If you count the number games the dont add up so it suggest it was in reference to replicating that form and showing how possible it is.

• G

Jan 20, 2012 at 1:10 PM

Sorry for repeating myself from previous threads, but of all the defenders we have been linked with, Rhys Williams is the stand-out favourite for me. Can play accross the back four and midfield, can pass accurately, tackle well, decent enough pace, age on his side. What’s not to like about the guy ?(appart from his current club!)

• JackButler

Jan 20, 2012 at 1:11 PM

M’Biwa would be a massive signing for us, with his pace, power and the way he reads the game he is the perfect man for us

• Rowan Milsted

Jan 20, 2012 at 1:11 PM

I’ve given up speculating who we’re going to sign. Everyone we’re linked with doesn’t materialise, and then we sign someone out the blue. I’m just hoping we sign a CB and/or LB, I think we all are!

Oh, and I’m also hoping Ray Wilkins never commentates on one of our games again. I think I made my feelings clear in the last thread.

• wynsleap

Jan 20, 2012 at 1:12 PM

Agree with sirtoongospel – either you want to have a winning team or you want to keep on making money through transfers in and out.
    Pardew’s words, “But we still have to to be on our guard to protect our top players” is just lying b**ll**s and Controller initiated and is the main reason why he is not yet ‘loved’ (his words).
    Unless the player wants to go he’s ours. You don’t need to protect him.
    You’ve either got ambition or you haven’t. Ashley is about to show us which one it is.
    I’ve still got a feeling that this window isn’t all we think it’s going to be.
    But I’d love to be proved wrong.
    The sad thing is we are doing everything right in the transfer market. Why CAN’T we build on that?

• Rowan Milsted

Jan 20, 2012 at 1:12 PM

Having said that I do hope we get Clyne, though Man Utd are allegedly after him too…

• LoonyToon

Jan 20, 2012 at 1:13 PM

True, I was just being a smart arse pr1ck by mentioning it lol

I’m still waiting for the kick in the teeth. Surely it can’t be this good for us. What’s going on??? I’m just too used to being built up then disappointed. 40 years of experience on the NUFC rollercoaster I guess lol.

Howay the lads.

• LoonyToon

Jan 20, 2012 at 1:17 PM

@Rowan #13

I’m with you on that one mate. He was doing my head in. I thought he had issues with Ben Arfa. Constantly critisizing him for not passing or not tracking back.

• bambams

Jan 20, 2012 at 1:18 PM

I see all the rumours about which defenders we are after and that Pardieu has stated “money is there for the right players”, but i cannot really see us spending more than 3-4 million on a CB now that we have spent around 9 million on Cisse.
    This is just me reading between the lines but it could be the goal posts have moved re the value/calbre of player we are now looking at for CB position and thats why we have not signed one yet- we have known for a long time we needed cover.
    just my opinion boys

• wynsleap

Jan 20, 2012 at 1:32 PM

In the Sun today Pardew is talking about having to ‘balance the books’ this window. Is he warning us about players being sold – again?
    Is Ashley NEVER going to make an outlay on player purchases?

• OoAhDembaBa

Jan 20, 2012 at 1:33 PM

maybe we should all stop reading into rumours and just wait for the possibility of another wonderful and gob smacking surprise such as papiss

• dmac

Jan 20, 2012 at 1:34 PM

I think in reference to the right players he is merely stating he wont be dictated by the market And by people knowing we are after certain positions. We could of had Cisse in the summer but at 13m he was deemed to expensive, now the right player came with the right price so we signed him.

I wouldnt be suprised to see us spend relatively big again depending on the right player and whether the deal is right for us.

In my head that all made sense now im not sure it does haha

• markmac

Jan 20, 2012 at 1:54 PM

keep seeing people mentioning samba, but he WONT come to us because he would expect to be a ‘starter’ and there is absolutely NO way AP would instantly drop either collo or willo

• nufcfoxy

Jan 20, 2012 at 1:56 PM

looks like predator. haha

• Rowan Milsted

Jan 20, 2012 at 2:01 PM

@ LoonyToon

I think he just hates Newcastle in general, probably a close friend of Wise. He picked up on HBA because he knows about 98% of Nufc fans love him. Issues there I think!

@ OoAaDembaBa

Yeah agree to a point but can’t help worrying. Wynsleap’s quote there is worrying. I guess I’m too sentimental, I never want players to leave as I get too attached to them over time!

• Munster Mag

Jan 20, 2012 at 3:00 PM

Did I read that M’biwa is quite small for an english centre half ? Less than 6ft?

• max

Jan 20, 2012 at 4:13 PM

dont sell our top player

• Irie-Magpie

Jan 20, 2012 at 5:37 PM

I’m thinking our CB will be english, ie: currently playing in England.

• Premiership Manager

Jan 20, 2012 at 6:25 PM

Bassong on loan would be an ideal solution to the CB issue we have. It gives S Taylor time to heal and Taverner time to progress and mature in addition to giving us time to pick the right player at the right price.

I also wouln’t be surprised if we look for another full back to play on the left as I have a strong suspicion Santon will be earmarked for the wing or central midfield possibly in a holding role as his movement and distribution are very good and he doesn’t give the ball away.

Infact I wouldn’t be surprised to see Santon playing as the holding midfieldier tomorrow with R Taylor ar LB and Guthrie attacking midfield.

With Jonas who can also play at LB, CM, LW, RW, HBA and Marvaux to come back we have a very strong squad and now that we have Cisse to partner Ba things are looking very positive.