Newcastle Could Be Signing Young French Striker

20 year-old Guingamp striker/winger  Anthony Knockaert is saying that Newcastle are interested in signing him.

Anthony Knockaert – Newcastle interested in 20 year-old

Guingamp play in the second division of the French league,  and he has played 22 games for them this season with 5 goals and 3 assists.

Guincamp won promotion from the Championnat National (3rd division) following the 2010–11 season.

The striker is 5’9″ tall and is a French U20 International, having appeared 9 times with 5 goals, and it is claimed Newcastle have been watching him for a number of months now, and we first reported on the Magpies interest in early December.

The Frenchman can play either a striker or on either wing, and he has told FootMercato Newcastle are talking to his agent:

“They are in touch with my agent.” “Now, I take care of my own work and nothing else.”

“My agent does not put all that in my mind so I can continue to work in the best way.”

“I do my job, many young people take it too seriously.”  “Yes, sure it’s flattering,”

“But I will not give up until one day I am at the highest level. But now I work for the team.”

Knockaert could be one of the young players that Newcastle could sign in January, rather than waiting for the summer, and the lad admits he would love to follow players such as former Guingamp stars Didier Drogba and Florent Malouda to England.

“I always look to such examples, it helps me move forward,”

Newcastle will continue to bring in some good youngsters to the club as their top scouting network, under Chief Scout Graham Carr, scours Europe, and especially France, for top young players.

Newcastle scouts were in attendance at the weekend to see Knockaert play for Guingamp in their French Cup match with Le Mans.

The 20-year-old’s contract runs out in 2013 and and it’s not clear whether the Tyneside club will sign the youngster now for a small fee,  or wait until his contract runs out, like Newcastle did with Mehdi Abeid.

We have a feeling Knockaert will be joining Newcastle, either this week or in the summer,  and the club will not wait for that contract running out.

• Klatoon

Jan 23, 2012 at 12:23 PM

This rumor’s got substance,club officials were in France last week.

• markmac

Jan 23, 2012 at 12:24 PM

never heard of him but is he right or left sided?

• AK Malaysia

Jan 23, 2012 at 12:25 PM

A defender is still a priority… a fast one!

• markmac

Jan 23, 2012 at 12:30 PM

any young half decent CB will do as backup !

• tarie4

Jan 23, 2012 at 12:32 PM

Could be a good signing for us..and he is still young as well…snap him up quick

• tarie4

Jan 23, 2012 at 12:33 PM

A defender is still needed…a fast one at that…

• ToonDownSouth

Jan 23, 2012 at 12:34 PM

How many agents have said we’ve been in contact with them this window? About 50!

We probably just make a brief enquiry, let them know we’ll be watching them, etc. And then the press blow it out of proportion.

The amount of money we pay to Carr & the scouting team, I’d like to think they do more work than just scout the couple of players we buy each year!

• ToonDownSouth

Jan 23, 2012 at 12:35 PM

As for Mariappa, I read that he’s played about 200 consecutive games for Watford. That’s the kind of injury record I like!

• gorgonzola

Jan 23, 2012 at 12:36 PM

Hey good stuff…..hell if the club are after mariappa so be it…. I will support it…..

• jarnytoon

Jan 23, 2012 at 12:37 PM

Sounds like a good shout!

before any1 jumps down my throat how does this sound…..malouda on loan till the end of the season? good player, experienced and can cross a good ball n get goals?

Oh and please say we aren’t seriously going after Marriapa?? If we had to i’d rather that donkey ridgewell!

• StuW

Jan 23, 2012 at 12:41 PM

Toon close to signing Mariappa from Watford…SSN reporting it, so there must be something in it.

• Dannyo

Jan 23, 2012 at 12:43 PM

A perfect and hopefully very good squad filler.
    Would come cheap and be on low wages, young, potential, deffo a Carr scouting 😉
    Being able to play as a striker or winger is just the kind of versatility we need.
    Hope it’s true!

• Peka90

Jan 23, 2012 at 12:44 PM

It would be difficult to sign a better defender than Mariappa that wouldn’t cost a fortune in January, he only has 18 months left on his deal and I highly doubt it will be 3 million the price tag …. cisse’s fee variety from over 10 million to as low as 7.5 so more likely 1.5/2 million …. not a bad price for a squad player IMO

• Peka90

Jan 23, 2012 at 12:45 PM

varied **

• tarie4

Jan 23, 2012 at 12:50 PM

Dannyo

Definitely looks like a Carr scouting…and looks like a perfect replacement for loverman…hope its TRUE..

• JackButler

Jan 23, 2012 at 12:50 PM

More strength to the squad is always a good thing, a good young player with plenty of potential. Has Carr worked his magic again?

• ToonDownSouth

Jan 23, 2012 at 12:54 PM

Like I said… I wouldn’t get carried away. Look through SSN.com and see how many agents we’ve been talking to lol.

• JackButler

Jan 23, 2012 at 12:58 PM

It will be interesting to see who leaves in the summer, I’m not talking about big names but rather fringe players.
    Smith and Lovern will definitely been out, but what about the likes of Best and Shola? Just hope that Simpson, Guthrie and Colo sign their new deals

• Dannyo

Jan 23, 2012 at 1:00 PM

It seems that allot of people except this giant super CB, but it won’t happen.
    Fact of the matter is we have 3 good CBs, 3 good PL CBs, all we need is a backup, a fast one at that.
    Mariappa seems to fit the description, and he’s been one of the most outstanding CBs in the Championship this season.
    Like Pardew says, we wont replace anyone, we need to strengthen the depth.

• Crow59Cdo

Jan 23, 2012 at 1:03 PM

id welcome another striker and tbh now is the perfect time to bring a youngster in and give him half a season of cup games and reserve team action so he ready to compete next season once lovers has done one, the deoth however is really needed at the back and im hoping for a young ENGLISH lad with pace as cover or even to replace williamson, my suggestion is matt mills of leicester

• RobertNufc25

Jan 23, 2012 at 1:03 PM

Wash your mouth out Butler Shola will never leave.lol

I think he’ll end working In the canteen serving lunch,when his contracts up ffs….

• Toon Tang

Jan 23, 2012 at 1:11 PM

calista flockheart’s french half brother

• DembaToon

Jan 23, 2012 at 1:34 PM

Long time reader first post personally as long as this player has potential then why not sign him just don’t offer a xisco contract hahaha also i think we should sign Jean-Christophe Bahebeck french u-21 and is 18 plays for PSG seen his lad play for them in the cup not long ago and my word this kids got massive potential Great pace Great touch Great ability to pick a cross #OneToWatch

• arctoa

Jan 23, 2012 at 1:41 PM

I reckon Shola’s pretty close to retiring at this point, it’s clear that his dodgy hip is making him about as mobile as a wheelie bin. Just think, in a few seasons Ba will be hobbling around similarly.

As for this guy, never heard of him before now. Got to be worth a punt if we can pick him up for peanuts, but I would’ve said the same about Jason Prior and that never materialised.

Also, SSN is about as reliable as the average 2-bit tabloid.

• Zebras4Life

Jan 23, 2012 at 3:38 PM

Why are aome peeps down on this idea of Mariappa coming in. For starters, he has some pace, which we have none of at that position. Let alone depth. He is very strong on the ball and is young with a great track record of health. Ill take my chances w this signing. I wouldnt be surprised if he gets some nice PT too. Perfect signing at the perfect price if you ask me!

• Zebras4Life

Jan 23, 2012 at 3:41 PM

As for the frenchy…bring him on!

• JP...from The Rock

Jan 23, 2012 at 5:45 PM

Knockaert must be Lovenkrands replacement. I think he’ll coming in the beginning of summer.

• jordijohnty

Jan 23, 2012 at 11:56 PM

Drogba not an ex player of Guingamp but Malouda was…. as was a certain, stephane guivarch!

• Brutooon

Jan 23, 2012 at 11:58 PM

lets sign him so we wont see anymore of the SHOLA SHIT AMEOBI !!!!!!!