The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Time To Move On – Fans Shoudn’t Be Concerned After Saturday

10:22 pm, Monday, January 23rd, 2012 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 85 Comments

The doom and gloom is beginning to lift after the poor display on Saturday.

Alan Pardew – shown today in the sunshine of Tenerife

Alan Pardew are now in Tenerife and the sun is shining down on the Newcastle squad, as they have their mid-season break to do some team building and reflect on what they have achieved in the first part of the season.

The truth is that Newcastle are in 6th place in the Premier League and a good 6 points above Stoke City in 8th place,  and a much better goal difference too.

So if Newcastle can get in a decent run of games through the end of the season, there’s no reason why Newcastle cannot end up in the top 7 in the Premier League.

Alan Pardew  and  the lads apparently flew into Tenerife on Saturday night from Gatwick,  after the defeat at Fulham.

And they will have already had meetings with the coaching staff to look at how the team have done in the first 22 league games of the season.

Alan seemed very upbeat when he talked to nufcTV this afternoon from their training camp:

“Fulham was a disappointing game, but not a disappointing weekend, fortunately.”  “The other results mean we are still right in there, and that’s where we want to be.

“Arsenal lost, Stoke got beat and Chelsea got a draw, so we find ourselves in a not too different position to where we were at the start of that game.”

“It’s gone now – there’s nothing we can do about it. We will reflect on the second half and make sure that never happens again.”  “We just lost our way.”

“That can happen in the Premier League, but there is nothing to panic or worry about.”  “We are in a fantastic position, and if our fans are a little bit concerned after Saturday, they shouldn’t be.”

“We are looking at those above, don’t worry about that.”  “I came here in the summer to view the place, and it’s fantastic – really top notch,”

“We are out here on the back of a disappointing result, which isn’t ideal, but it’s nice to have a break and bring us all together.”

“After that result we needed it,  just to go over a few things in the next couple of days.”

Newcastle have 36 points from their 22 league games,  with 10 wins and 10 draws and 6 defeats, and a goal difference of +2.

And we would have taken that in a NY minute,  if somebody had suggested that’s where Newcastle would be at the end of January.

Last season we ended up with 11 win and 13 draws over the full season and finished up in 12th position with 46 points.

We have also just signed top Senegal striker Papiss Cisse,  so there is still a lot to be happy with, even after Saturday’s disappointing result and second half performance.

We are hoping the lads will recharge their batteries in Tenerife,  and then come out at Brighton like the proverbial steam train, and qualify for round 5 and the last 16.

If we can do that we have every right to look forward to a home draw in round 5, and the possibility is that we can reach the quarter finals.

If we can do that anything is then possible.

Howay the Lads!!

Tags: Coaching · Newcastle News · Other News

85 responses so far ↓

• 1 lewytoon // Jan 23, 2012 at 10:29 PM

wtf!!

• 2 roe997 // Jan 23, 2012 at 10:29 PM

I have a sneaky feeling ben arfa is trying to plant the idea of a transfer to psg into the medias letting them know hes available.thats what it looks like in his latest interview.

• 3 GeordieToon89 // Jan 23, 2012 at 10:32 PM

lewytoon – Why on earth would she do such a thing lmao

• 4 roe997 // Jan 23, 2012 at 10:32 PM

Lewytoon last weeks news and the girl was trying to be drake.just a toon fan edited it to make it look like she wanting to be besty

• 5 LenDixon // Jan 23, 2012 at 10:33 PM

I finally calmed down after Saturday now. I think after Arsenal and Lpool both lost, it wasn’t to bad. I was reading the metro on way to work and they were doing an article on the race to champions league and we were included in the group. Im not saying we will get champs league, but its nice to be thought of seriously. I think I was calling for Shola to be hanged after the match lol!

• 6 Jail for Ashley // Jan 23, 2012 at 10:34 PM

Where has this Ben Arfa-PSG thing come from

• 7 roe997 // Jan 23, 2012 at 10:36 PM

His latest interview is on goal.com and metro regarding psg comments

• 8 davybtoon // Jan 23, 2012 at 10:38 PM

why is it ppl on here constantly link players with leaving (only the ones that r playing well) makes me laugh

• 9 roe997 // Jan 23, 2012 at 10:39 PM

Sorry if any of you guys think im a newb.been on ere a few yr just havnt posted in a long while.so pleased to meet you all new and old.

• 10 davybtoon // Jan 23, 2012 at 10:39 PM

jail its jus idiots doing what they usually do one of our players hits abit form so he that must mean hes being sold

• 11 roe997 // Jan 23, 2012 at 10:42 PM

Im a bit concerned because a)its in a middle of jan. B) because our owner likes cash c)its happened before d) benny ain t happy and e)hes manufactured two moves from his last two clubs. i will be devasted if he goes

• 12 Jail for Ashley // Jan 23, 2012 at 10:42 PM

I think all players speak with forked tongue these days,so that if they do move it looks like they always wanted to do that deal and if they stay they were misinterpreted….

• 13 roe997 // Jan 23, 2012 at 10:44 PM

No one has stated psg are interested just what benny says is himself is a bit worrying

• 14 roe997 // Jan 23, 2012 at 10:46 PM

I realy hope beny stays.i love his style and ‘philosify’

• 15 davybtoon // Jan 23, 2012 at 10:46 PM

when has ben arfa said hes not happy here never so what u on about

• 16 JackButler // Jan 23, 2012 at 10:52 PM

When we get Tiote, Ba and Cisse back we can kick on and seal a top 7 finish which will be a massive season for us as no doubt we are going to lift the FA Cup :)

• 17 jesperfuglsang // Jan 23, 2012 at 10:52 PM

@ roe997

Now this is goal.com copying something from Eurosport, meaning lazy journalist just rewriting quotes taking out of context and also translated from French to English; god knows what is lost in translation ;)

“Ben Arfa admitted, though, that he would not have a problem returning to his native France.

“…For me, it’s different,” he explained. “I am French so it’s not the same as it is the championship of France. It’s not the same relationship for Tevez…”

roe997, take it easy mate…

• 18 JackButler // Jan 23, 2012 at 10:55 PM

Its more BS story telling, lazy journo’s twist a simple comment to sensationalise it and thus create a headline

• 19 jesperfuglsang // Jan 23, 2012 at 10:56 PM

roe997, it was about Tevez and PSG, and Goal.com quickly made it out to be about HBA wanting to leave for PSG in the future….

Silly journalists; not to mention lazy as well. Brits know how to sell papers ;)

• 20 Jail for Ashley // Jan 23, 2012 at 10:56 PM

davyb
    Some people get a buzz out of talking sh*te whether its about signing somebody,or letting a player go.That mikeashleysamackem reckons his mate saw that French kid at the airport though,claims to have seen all our other singings there too,I dont know how reliable he is though.

• 21 jesperfuglsang // Jan 23, 2012 at 10:59 PM

@JFA

I guess we’ll know tomorrow ;)

• 22 JackButler // Jan 23, 2012 at 11:00 PM

JFA – Who has supposedly been seen at the airport?

• 23 GeordieToon89 // Jan 23, 2012 at 11:04 PM

Mangola will not be coming to us.. why would we get someone on loan who we cant buy when he wont play.. pointless.. we’ll be buying someone and av gota good feelings its going to be Mbiwa or Douglas(not that ive seen Douglas play)

• 24 Jail for Ashley // Jan 23, 2012 at 11:06 PM

JB
    ma isa mackem reckons his mate who works at the airport
    has seen Malanga,and claims to have had news on Ba Cisse and others in the past,he says check out his other posts if we dont believe him.

• 25 JackButler // Jan 23, 2012 at 11:06 PM

GT89 – Douglas is an animal, would love him to come here, even more so now as he’s playing for Holland and not Brazil so no long trips to South America

• 26 JackButler // Jan 23, 2012 at 11:09 PM

JFA – I don’t know anything about Malanga, is he any good?

• 27 Jail for Ashley // Jan 23, 2012 at 11:10 PM

Doh
    Mangola : 0

• 28 Tsunki // Jan 23, 2012 at 11:10 PM

HBA has said this before when asked if he would ever consider a team like PSG – I believe he’s a boyhood fan and wouldn’t mind realising his dream one day. No problem with that, because I don’t think he’s unhappy here, in fact I’m certain he has had a lasting impression of the way the Toon has supported him through his injury and feels it when he gets onto the SJP turf. I think he’s like Ba (can’t just call him Demba now!) and feels the need to prove himself first, and maybe repay some of that love. I think he’s well on the way to that now.

• 29 jesperfuglsang // Jan 23, 2012 at 11:11 PM

@JFA

I thought is was Eliaquim Mangala?

• 30 Jail for Ashley // Jan 23, 2012 at 11:12 PM

JB
    No idea mate I only really watch the Premiership.

• 31 GeordieToon89 // Jan 23, 2012 at 11:14 PM

Jores Okore <<< Where apparently after him

• 32 GeordieToon89 // Jan 23, 2012 at 11:18 PM

We should also get Rasmus Falk hes fooking immense

• 33 JackButler // Jan 23, 2012 at 11:19 PM

• 34 jesperfuglsang // Jan 23, 2012 at 11:19 PM

@ GeordieToon89

I highly doubt we’re after anyone from the Danish League; being a Dane myself I don’t think any of them are good enough – at least not for now ;)

Danish players are usually more suited for the Dutch or German League maybe even Italian.

Agger is one of the British success stories…

• 35 GeordieToon89 // Jan 23, 2012 at 11:20 PM

We were linked with that Mangala before wernt we in the summer

• 36 GeordieToon89 // Jan 23, 2012 at 11:22 PM

Jesper – What do you think of Rasmus Falk then mate?

• 37 jesperfuglsang // Jan 23, 2012 at 11:26 PM

@JB

I still cannot comprehend why the club offered him and extension on his contract; it’s not like he has any suiters and it is definitely not like he’s performing is it ;) hehe

Love him or hate him, but as far as I am concerned, if you cannot perform at this level at 100% you have no business being here – he’s clearly chronically injured.

He should never be an option!

• 38 JackButler // Jan 23, 2012 at 11:26 PM

Dont want to ignite another Sholla debate, but after read that story about him, 50 goals in 13 season in pathetic really, especially when you consider some of the players that he’s played with :(

• 39 WWJBD // Jan 23, 2012 at 11:27 PM

Right whats crack tonight then? (warning alcohol has been consumed thus normal comments may be disrupted)

• 40 jesperfuglsang // Jan 23, 2012 at 11:28 PM

@GeordieToon89

Young bright kid, but more suited for the Dutch League if you ask me ;)

• 41 Tsunki // Jan 23, 2012 at 11:29 PM

JackButler – this is one of my eerie predictions, Shola being moved on, if not now in the summer. It’s a fair appraisal but I’m not totally convinced it’s a lack of effort but a lack of ability to apply effort at his age and after the types of injuries he’s had. When he’s had a run he does get into his stride, so to speak, such as in the first part of our championship year. Problem now is he’s got very little left in the tank. I still like him and I still respect the fact he is Newcastle right through so I wouldn’t be caught screaming for his head on a pike. Plus if the only great thing he has done is to instill his professional attitude into his younger bro, then maybe that will be enough of a contribution for me. Sad I know but we have had far worse attitudes around the house and look how much damage they have done.

• 42 JackButler // Jan 23, 2012 at 11:30 PM

WWJBD

Sholla Bashing :)

• 43 WWJBD // Jan 23, 2012 at 11:33 PM

JB
    Right give me a name thats slating him and prepare for swear words ;)

• 44 JackButler // Jan 23, 2012 at 11:33 PM

Tsunki – He has to be the most frustrating player on the face of the earth

• 45 JackButler // Jan 23, 2012 at 11:34 PM

WWJBD

I have to hold my hands up and tell you that I started it :)

• 46 Tsunki // Jan 23, 2012 at 11:36 PM

JackB – I know, I know.

• 47 WWJBD // Jan 23, 2012 at 11:40 PM

JB
    Uve changed mate….uve changed hahaha

Shola isnt the best but he has give so damn much for that shirt he deserves it. He steps up when we have needed it and has been given the nod by loads of managers (far more knowledgeable than u, me or any other ‘expert’ who appears on this blog).

Not a starter but a damn fine impact sub

(No offence JB thats my overall view on Shola rather than a argument with ya)

• 48 t00ntime // Jan 23, 2012 at 11:42 PM

Only thing that gives ben arfa rumour substance is the fact that he isnt on the tenerife photo, yeat again neither are colo or obertan

As for shola I’ll show u why he is bad
    Vermalen (LB arsenal) 1 goal every 5 games
    Shola ameobi (FW newcastle) 1 goal in every 5.1!

He is worse then a left back at scoring -_-

• 49 toonbrother // Jan 23, 2012 at 11:42 PM

ive been slated in the past for having a go at colocinni but i have always believed we put him on too high a pedestal. He may have improved immeasurably as a player but he still has he ability to fall apart during a game and play alarmingly poorly. Saturday wasnt the first tme our defence has looked a shambles with him in it. Only this time there wsas no james perch to blame.Colocinni is great when Newcastle is playing well, but when we are struggling he makes us worse. We need a new cb to challenge him for a place in the first team.there i said it

• 50 JackButler // Jan 23, 2012 at 11:45 PM

WWJBD

I know mate, he just frustrates the hell out of me as i truly believe that he could have been far better than he’s turned out to be.

As you say we’ve had plenty of managers that have seen something in him, but with an average of 4 goals a season, you have to wonder whether there are better squad players out there that would prove to be a better option?

• 51 t00ntime // Jan 23, 2012 at 11:46 PM

Toonbrother, he looked bad cause he is slow and our line was to high agaisnt quick fowards… If we jad moved the line back when johnson came on it wouldnt of ended that bad ;-) and he only looks bad cause his normal runs cut off the striker without needing pace, yesterday we had no pace in CB’s

• 52 JackButler // Jan 23, 2012 at 11:49 PM

toonbrother – Colo has been one of the better centre half’s in the league this season, yes he has a poor game every now and then, but name me a player that doesn’t.

For me, his performances this season put him up there with the best centre half’s that I’ve seen play for us

• 53 Tsunki // Jan 23, 2012 at 11:53 PM

toonbrother – careful there tiger with the anti-Colo speak! If you saw how much curfuffle the Shola thing caused you’d put leave some distance before daring to mention the Cap’n in less than glowing terms! This thing you speak of is heresy!! :) :)

• 54 jesperfuglsang // Jan 23, 2012 at 11:53 PM

@WWJBD

For one minute just try to take this on for size. Not about to bash Strolla or anything but just stating some interesting facts:

Strolla has been at the club for 13 years or so.
    He has scored 50 goals or so.
    He’s injury prone.
    He’s chronically injured.
    He cannot perform at 100% and not to mention for 90 min.
    He’s lazy.
    He’s one of the reasons why we play 4-4-2 when clearly we shouldn’t.
    Every manager we’ve had seems to rate him yes; is it lack of options, because he’s a nice bloke who seems to be committed. I don’t know.
    But he’s picking up his paycheck and has been for the last 13 years. I don’t know if that constitute loyalty from Ameobi or just waste of money from NUFC ;)

You pick!

• 55 ToonDownSouth // Jan 23, 2012 at 11:55 PM

toontime

Vermaelen in a CB :/ But I guess your point stands

• 56 Jail for Ashley // Jan 23, 2012 at 11:55 PM

WWJBD
    Try posting under the influence of alcohol,try doing it while a two week old baby projectile vomits 90ml of warm milky puke down ya shirt : 0

• 57 GeordieToon89 // Jan 23, 2012 at 11:55 PM

Jesper – Cheers mate, Abit like Eriksen a think he’s an awesome player but a think he would struggle in the Premier league atleast for a couple of seasons

• 58 GeordieToon89 // Jan 23, 2012 at 11:56 PM

I now dont want kids ha

• 59 JackButler // Jan 23, 2012 at 11:58 PM

JFA – Give it 25 or so years and she’ll be doing the same but with alcopops :)

sorry mate, but it doesn’t change or get easier as they grow up :(

• 60 JackButler // Jan 23, 2012 at 11:58 PM

* Give it 15 years, not 25*

Getting tired now

• 61 ToonDownSouth // Jan 23, 2012 at 11:59 PM

is* :|

• 62 ToonDownSouth // Jan 24, 2012 at 12:00 AM

Jack

Was gunna say mate… 25 years? That’s some impressive child raising (;

• 63 JackButler // Jan 24, 2012 at 12:01 AM

TDS – hahaha, I know mate thinking about writing a parenting book lol

• 64 t00ntime // Jan 24, 2012 at 12:02 AM

Hmm only payed atention to vermalen agasint city where he played LB so assumed thats what he was lol

Ok change that fact, shola has scored less then a CB ;-)

• 65 jesperfuglsang // Jan 24, 2012 at 12:03 AM

@GeordieToon89

The Dutch League seems to be the best place to hatch Danish talent. The technical style of play in Holland is simply more suited for the Danish players.

No wonder the Danish National team is called Holland light ; hehe

The EPL is a tough league and most new players seems to struggle. It’s a make or brake you kind of league.

• 66 WWJBD // Jan 24, 2012 at 12:03 AM

JB
    Haha I agree he is frustrating but he ran himself into the ground for the black and white and, tbf to him, thats probably why he is so frustrating he simply cant do things anymore because he played through injuries and has hurt himself further for us

As for better options right now yes maybe there are but I wouldnt trade Shola for anyone of them because they wouldnt care a damn about NUFC and for me thats a big point. Shola isnt great but he is good to have around maybe he shouldnt be picked but surely thats down to the ‘up and comings’, ‘future stars’ or ‘new players’ to remove him from the standings

jesper
    All fine points but find me a player in this day and age who would literally hurt themselves for NUFC

JfA
    Hahaha naarrr am alright mate I will leave that one to u bud ;)

• 67 jesperfuglsang // Jan 24, 2012 at 12:09 AM

@WWJBD

Maybe that’s the problem; maybe he’s been hurting himself too much for NUFC. He’s clearly chronically injured now.

I’ve been supporting NUFC since ’95. Loyalty for me has nothing to do with turning up and collecting your paycheck. It’s what you do to earn the paycheck.

Personally Strolla should ave been sold a few years back when he was loaned out to Stoke.

• 68 WWJBD // Jan 24, 2012 at 12:17 AM

jesper
    Why sell him? Surely all he is doing it offering competition to other strikers? If they are better than him they will play surely

He isnt exactly dragging the club down

• 69 jesperfuglsang // Jan 24, 2012 at 12:23 AM

@ WWJBD

Guess you could apply the logic to Smith as well then.

Personally I think any player that’s getting payed at NUFC should earn it. If they don’t – then it’s out the door.

I think it’s here we don’t see eye to eye ;) hehe

The downside of your argument is, that clearly we’re running the risk that your manager will pick him and I don’t know in what world Strolla would constitute a starting place in our team. And the funny thing is he is! :)

• 70 ToonDownSouth // Jan 24, 2012 at 12:28 AM

But Smith’s on £60k a week – if he was on £10k a week, I’d happily have him around. Contrary to what a lot say, he’s not some mercenary like Owen. From wht I can tell, he cares about the club, and he was as important as anyone in promotion.

I doubt Shola’s on any sort of wage to be honest. Not like they were going to give him a pay rise – I’d imagine Lambias changed the majority of his pay to performance related stuff.

• 71 jesperfuglsang // Jan 24, 2012 at 12:30 AM

@TDS

And Strolla in on £60k a week – but only available for half a season ;)

Free them both up then – that’s £90k a week better spend elsewhere.

• 72 jesperfuglsang // Jan 24, 2012 at 12:31 AM

Sorry £30k a week :) hehe

• 73 WWJBD // Jan 24, 2012 at 12:34 AM

jesper
    Smith is a different kettle of fish imo he, although a decent fella in my eyes, doesnt really care about NUFC (though he has done his bit for us) and he isnt good enough anymore. Shola cares about NUFC and is good enough to make a positive impact when brought on the pitch whereas Smith simply cant imo

The downside of my argument is that managers may pick Shola to start…I dont see that as a downside? Surely managers are employed to pick the best avaliable to them and if Shola is that then why shouldnt he play games?

For me Shola isnt a starter but I dont spend the entire week watching him play. I judge him by 90 minutes a week which, in the larger scheme of things, is f all

• 74 WWJBD // Jan 24, 2012 at 12:42 AM

And on that note am off

Have a good un

• 75 jesperfuglsang // Jan 24, 2012 at 12:46 AM

@WWJBD

if it’s just a matter of lacking better options, then fair play to you mate :) BUT there was a solution for that and luckily for us now, that solution has been found – it’s called buy a new Striker! Papisto has been bought.

BUT I do think it has been a problem that anyone would think playing Ameobi in the starting 11 is an option. And option was to abandon 4-4-2 and implement a style of play that accommodated the players at hand.

Hence picking the best team available while also picking the most suitable style.

BUT WWJBD you have to realize by now, that Strolla is Chronically injured? He cannot run at full speed anymore. Clearly a problem for a striker – especially when you’re not the fastest to begin with.

• 76 Agent Stardust // Jan 24, 2012 at 1:12 AM

if it was up to me i would have ben arfa and vuckic up front instead of those 2 mugs best and shola.

people have to realise how bad they are. they are ruining the team. both crap. they would not get in any other team in the league not even norwich, swansea, qpr, wolves etc. they really are that bad.

i have nothing against them as people but as footballers in my team they make me sick. they are the reason we lost at fulham.

every team in the premier league now have forwards who can play football. and its not the top teams only. look at fulham, west brom, etc. they have forwards who can play. the 2 mugs we have are there to simply jump for long balls and they only win a small fraction of them and rarely hold onto the ball.

stick up for them as people but not players!
    i will guarantee pardew knows how bad they are and will eventually get rid of them when he can. the mistake pardew is making is still playing them in the team. i would rather have 2 midfielders up there.

• 77 shearermania // Jan 24, 2012 at 1:23 AM

fuglsang…had a beer in the south of denmark with that name….bloody ripper that was

• 78 Brutooon // Jan 24, 2012 at 6:05 AM

jesperfuglsang : the problem is not even stoke want him. after loaning him for 6 games, they realise he is SHIT

Agent Stardust : totally agreed with you, i might think Leon Best is ok for starting but supported by HBA and Vuckic

• 79 Jail for Ashley // Jan 24, 2012 at 6:22 AM

I had s pop at Best and Shola for their two performances the other day but I think it’s a bit disrespectful to call them a pair of mugs,I dont think it’s player bashing criticising performances but to launch a personal attack on a guy’s character that you dont even know is a bit out of order.

• 80 Premiership Manager // Jan 24, 2012 at 7:12 AM

I’m a big fan of AP and hope that he has come to the realisation that we can’t carry players when we are away from home. HBA has been left on the bench to educate him that it’s a team effort and with all due credit to AP it has been worth the wait and we are now seeing the benefits in HBA’s game and attitude.

Although some think we have problems at the back we have a good defence, who are often let down by our ability to retain the ball and score goals.

Shola shoud be dropped and HBA should start either up front with Best, (4-4-2), or on the RW with Gosling or Raylor on the right. This gives us a very strong midfield going forward and bolsters the defence when going backwards.

It also leaves us with a very good bench and plenty of options should we need to shake things up.

When we get Ba, Tiote and Cisse bak it’s going to be very interesting and I can see us playing HBA, Ba and Cisse in a 4-3-3 formation which will frighten the life out of some defences. The only problem with this formation is that we have three superb holding/attacking midfielders in Cabaye, Tiote and Guthrie/Jonas and it will be difficult to work out who will be left out as they are all good on the ball and tracking back. Although I love Jonas he’s probably be the one I’d leave out as his passing and crossing are his weakest points.

Cisse is very quick in addition to being a good crosser of the ball so if we can hold the fort for the next few weeks it could be a very good end to the season

• 81 jesperfuglsang // Jan 24, 2012 at 7:59 AM

@ Agent Stardust, Brutooon, JFA

This is what I proposed back i august when clearly we wouldn’t be buying another forward.

Play a team of midfielders; the are the most intelligent of players, most capable of adapting and very good at keeping possession.

Play a 4-6-0 formation or call it 4-2-3-1 :) the point is that you can have up to 6 midfielder at ones. Ba will operate as a fake #9 dropping back and leaving room for either our #10 HBA or our two wide men.

You build the team around the three in the middle; Tiote, Cabaye and HBA.

The situation we have or had is that PA wanted to play 4-4-2 with no regards to the players available. When Ba wasn’t ready that meant team was build around Best and Ameobi. The result was hoof ball, HBA was on the bench and we looked like a team of 10 instead of 11 – sometimes even 9.

This was always the way we should have gone about the game (4-2-3-1). It’s a passing style that suites the many offensive players we have and the fact that we only had one striker good enough to command a starting place – namely Ba.

Now that we have bought Papisto I am a bit confused about how we should go about it. 4-4-2 is still not an option; at least not in the old sense of the formation. It still think we should use a passing style that complements the players we have.

A formation very popular these days is a variation of both 4-2-3-1 and 4-4-2 – simply you could call it 4-2-2-2. You take the best from the 4-2-3-1 formation, but the #10 becomes a forward. HBA could operate on the right going inside instead of playing as an RM which is the current problem.

I don’t think PA will change, but I am a bit curious about how he’ll go about it when both Ba and Papisto are back. Will he just go about his business as nothing have change and field his usual dinosaur formation, but with Ba and Papisto up front. Or will he adapt the formation to a more modern style capable of challenging the top 6.

It remains to be seen :)

• 82 jesperfuglsang // Jan 24, 2012 at 7:59 AM

@shearermania

Was that a complement or…? hehe

• 83 bills-son // Jan 24, 2012 at 8:11 AM

Jail for Ashley // Jan 23, 2012 at 10:56 PM
    davyb
    Some people get a buzz out of talking sh*te

You must be buzzing constantly Jail …

• 84 solano // Jan 24, 2012 at 8:23 AM

Bulls…..Pot….Kettle….Black?

• 85 Brutooon // Jan 24, 2012 at 8:30 AM

Jesperfuglsang : i do agreed with your point. look at Swansea, neck and neck not a single Swansea player will go directly to Newcastle United’s first eleven but they did play SIMPLE football which is the key.

We need to keep the ball and play short ground ball. KEEP the ball is the key

The problem is when we played Ameobi is that we play long ball to him, which he lose it 11 out of 10 times.

previous post: Ben Arfa Voted Budweiser Player Of Round Three Of FA Cup