Gus Poyet – Pardew Has Done An Incredible Job On Tyneside

44 year-old Gus Poyet is a good up-and-coming manager who was a great midfield player at Chelsea and Tottenham Hotspur.

Gus Poyet – an up-and-coming manager

The Uruguayan has been Assistant manager under Dennis Wise at Leeds United,  and Assistant manager at Tottenham under the short one year reign of  manager Juande Ramos.

Gus took over Brighton in October of 2009, after he was one the names banded about as the potential new Newcastle manager in the previous summer,  after Newcastle had been relegated.

Pardew has paid compliments to Gus this morning in the local press, and would you believe it, Gus has returned the compliment, and rightly said that Pardew has done an incredible job on Tyneside.

This is what Gus told the Brighton & Hove Albion web-site today:

“What he has done at Newcastle is incredible,” “I have been watching, and if you’re looking for an impressive team this season, it’s Newcastle.”

“When a team is doing badly the manager gets the pressure and he will be sacked, so when a team is doing well we need to praise the manager as well.”

“Alan has done very well, put together a great set of players and he deserves credit. They are a very difficult team to beat.”

“This is a cup game and you always have a chance, but saying that, in terms of their quality, their performances and the way that they have been playing, you would say that Newcastle are favourites,” said the former Chelsea and Tottenham midfielder.

“That’s not me trying to put pressure on Newcastle or trying to play any mind games, that is just reality. But this is one game and with the atmosphere and players’ excitement, it will be a great game.”

“I expect Newcastle to play their best team so we need to make sure that we are very good on the day.”

Poyet is a good manager who knows the game of football,  and he always has his side playing good and attractive attacking football, so tomorrow’ game should be a great one to watch.

Brighton are now an ambitious club, and they even have a chance to make the playoffs this season in the Championship, after beating out Southampton to win the League One title only last season.

They are just two points out of a play-off position at the moment, and maybe it would be best if they concentrated on just the league this season? 😀

We have a chance of moving onto the 5th round of the FA Cup tomorrow, and we hope the lads will take it,  with a very good display and a win.

Howay The Lads!!

Comments welcome.

• Beattie25

Jan 27, 2012 at 1:37 PM

Hat trick

• JackButler

Jan 27, 2012 at 1:38 PM

Jesus Ed, your on fire today 🙂

• Beattie25

Jan 27, 2012 at 1:39 PM

Oh yes!! Has that ever been done before?

3 in a row!

I would love it, love it, if we could get Poyet back for Wembely 2000.

• JackButler

Jan 27, 2012 at 1:41 PM

Beattie25 – Amazing contribution for you ‘Hat-trick’ 😉

• G

Jan 27, 2012 at 1:42 PM

@ Beattie25 – I was just racking my brains there, trying to work out how many times GP scored against the toon when a player? I beleive he is responsible for us being knocked out of at least 2 cup competitions. I have a horrible feeling as a manager he might be responsible for knocking us out of this one. I smell a banana skin, but I will happily eat my words if I am wrong.

• bambams

Jan 27, 2012 at 1:43 PM

lets see what Gus has to say if we win………

• Beattie25

Jan 27, 2012 at 1:44 PM

I’m the Demba Ba of the blog.

Has anyone seen the post on the previous thread about the young, supposed Belgian footballer who was with his mum and agent having a medical the same day as Cisse?

Usually I pay no attention to these types of things but it has gotten me interested for reasons I do not fully understand?!

Most rumours are ‘I’ve seen Samba in the Malmasion’… but this intrigues me… please mystery blogger tell me more.

• Beattie25

Jan 27, 2012 at 1:46 PM

G

I am a positive person, but I’m afraid I agree somewhat.

With the news coming out of the toon (Colo injured, Krul rested, Ameobi still healthy) I have my worries.

We have got an amazing first 11 but the depth just isn’t there at the minute. Who knows but I think we will need a replay to get the job done.

• mattyNUFC

Jan 27, 2012 at 1:48 PM

just rehashing from the last thread. would like to get folks opinions;

so very tired of these pardew interviews about ben arfa.

i know people wont agree but ben arfa is one of those enigmatic players; a messi, a tevez, a CR,

you play around them, not the other way around. I know it may not SEEM cohesive to how a team is supposed to work, but, a good manager will find the balance. Pardew seems like he can’t quite figure it out

• LenDixon

Jan 27, 2012 at 1:49 PM

Wahahah Beattie 25!

Collo injured, Krul rest, Ameobi healthy 😀

Thats really the beautiful thing about football when you think about it. Love (or hatred in this case) of footballers really can stir so many emotions! 🙂

• Beattie25

Jan 27, 2012 at 1:52 PM

Pardew is your Pulis type manager, Warnock etc… that like a hard working, team based player that will fight for the team.

However I think he is warming to Benny and sees that hard work will only gey you so far and you need a player with the brilliance of Benny (who may do nothing for 89 minutes and then explode for 1) to give that added dimension.

I think Pardew, like Benny, is still learning and tactically Pards seems a little lost at times but I have my faith that both will grow together and learn to work as one.

• LGFUAD21

Jan 27, 2012 at 1:52 PM

Beattie25

lol@ “Ameobi still healthy part”

mattyNUFC

Agree in part. QPR was completely based around Adel Taraabt last season. Think Warnock tried to change it up too much. Build a solid team in the traditional sense and Adel has been ineffective.

• JackButler

Jan 27, 2012 at 1:53 PM

Matty – Pardew will find the right position for Benny, the player said himself a few weeks ago that he has had to change is attitude as it was destructive to both himself and the teams that he was playing for, and as Pardew has said on a number of occasions, Benny is now buying into what we are doing at the club which indicates the change of attitude.

People will always push for news, information regarding Benny as he has a track record of being difficult to handle and the press are always fishing for a story and that story has to be a negative one

• Beattie25

Jan 27, 2012 at 1:58 PM

Also I think it is about balance.

I think the team looks very lob sided at the minute. Guti on the left tracking back too much, Benny not tracking back enough. Santon rampaging forward, Simmo staying back too much.

We need the balance. Hence why Hoillet (or someone similar) on the left and another attacking full back (like Cissokho) is needed. I am no manager but as a football fan it is plain to see when the team is lacking in shape.

• toonashwin

Jan 27, 2012 at 1:59 PM

apart from topic what a semi of australian open
    joko- 2 5 40
    mury-2 5 40
    duece for 3rd time bfore result
    loved it
    though joko wins and
    now to topic
    pls a cb bfor window is shut
    and i wil be happy with draw if not win
    howdy mates

• kimik123

Jan 27, 2012 at 2:03 PM

beattiie25 (7)

its 100% true that he was waiting for his medical as hes never been wrong before but as he doesnt work for newcastle so after the medicals finish he doesnt no anything else. he was doing cisses at the time but enquired about the youngster ,apparantly there was quite a large fee in it aswell up to 2million! i know newcastle keep there deals secretive but im guessing something cropped up and it never went ahead for some reason or maybe it did and its not released yet higher unlikely i know.

• Lynxie

Jan 27, 2012 at 2:09 PM

Wouldnt it just be typical of Shola to put in a performance this weekend (he says, hope springs eternal), after last weeks cameo performance as one of those human statue blokes you see at Covent Garden and Las Ramblas. After all, the walker Ronaldo is playing against defenders from a league below us, surely that is (at least) his level?
    Prediction: 2-0 in a replay at Saint James’s Park. (unleash Demba and Rodney on them!)

• Beattie25

Jan 27, 2012 at 2:09 PM

@ kimik

Like I said, I think there is truth in your post, I don’t know why.

It is a shame we don’t know for defininate the nationality of the player. If he was Belgian I don’t know which teenager would command such a fee as I am not familiar with the Begian leauge or the players of Belgium other than the national team.

Knowing Newcastle it could be very well true and we are waiting for the final details to go through or waiting for the deadline day window to announce it so that we have a lot of media attention.

• Lynxie

Jan 27, 2012 at 2:11 PM

And another thing. Winger? How about Jarvis of Wolves? They need the money, and he was on our radar last season. Good grafter, gets crosses in and worries defenders……… Worth a punt I reckon. AND HE IS ENGLISH!

• Mags

Jan 27, 2012 at 2:12 PM

My advice Pards, NEVER TRUST POYET.

• Crow59Cdo

Jan 27, 2012 at 2:14 PM

• JackButler

Jan 27, 2012 at 2:15 PM

Jarvis would be a great addition

• Lynxie

Jan 27, 2012 at 2:17 PM

Kimik:
    Did he look like this:

• Dannyo

Jan 27, 2012 at 2:19 PM

A secret signing eh? We’ll see 😉

Just found out i’m able to watch the Newcastle Brighton match, i’m so happy 🙂 First cup match i’ll be able to see, and not listen to this year 🙂

• LGFUAD21

Jan 27, 2012 at 2:24 PM

Off topic completely. But a fellow fan and friend kept telling me for years that I had to hear Lovenkrands accent. Hadnt managed to find any interview with him until now. It’s insane. 6 years in Scotland and now he is stuck with it.

For those that are interested listen here.

• t00ntime

Jan 27, 2012 at 2:26 PM

please never compare pardew to tony pullis again… tony isn’t a hard working manager he is an annoying manager no one really likes… Ask around what people think of stoke football, its boring and a form of cheating if u ask me (i know its just there tactic)
    they make the pitch THAT small that u have to play long balls… all they do is player for throw-ins and set pieces every thing else is a bonus… when football shud be played for openplay and set pieces are bonusses

but about the field, does it not annoy anyone here that its not there skillful players forcing other teams to change there tactics but there field, it’s that small you are forced to play stoke’s way even when we spanked em we still had to play there way…

• Wor Shearer

Jan 27, 2012 at 2:27 PM

@LGFUAD21

lol

• toonashwin

Jan 27, 2012 at 2:27 PM

news from india
    venky(b’burn owner) flew to london today to deal with transfer of rovers
    upto 8 deals wil take place in next few days at ewood park
    i hope we r on buying side of deal
    and i m no insider so please spare me but i dont lie

• Thump

Jan 27, 2012 at 2:28 PM

@LGFUAD: Haha it’s died down a bit now. When he first signed he was a Dutch Glaswegian lol

• LGFUAD21

Jan 27, 2012 at 2:30 PM

@toonashwin

8 deals. That’s insane. I dont think we will be selling anything to Blackburn. Who would leave for them? and they wouldnt be offerring crazy money.

Lets make a move on Hoilett for free in summer. Then when they get desperate say we will offer Xisco NOW for him.

• kimik123

Jan 27, 2012 at 2:30 PM

@beattie25

yeah i totally agree with your last few sentances maybe its a pre contract or somthing similar and cant be announced yet for one reason or another,

unfortunetly i dont have anymore infomation but he definitly thought he was belgian ,approx 17years old, defender, centre half more than full back from his own opinion,

pretty much everytime hes told me about medicals the players have been signed and its pretty much been out in the open by media anyways, newcastle give medicals to lot of teenages often behind closed doors, but this one as there is apparantly decent money involved and i havent heard anything from anywhere i just thought people would like be interested.

• LGFUAD21

Jan 27, 2012 at 2:32 PM

@Thump

In the same set of videos. Tim Krul says …”a few canny saves like”. True geordie.

And Perch reckons Obertan is one of the most skilled players he has played with (even mentioned him before Ben Arfa!!!!)

• TOONCHRIS

Jan 27, 2012 at 2:34 PM

Pardew is nothing like tony pulis but pardew is 1 lucky lucky manager to even be newcastle,if mr ashley wasnt his mate pardew would never have gettin another premier league job,but hats off he is taken the oppurtunity and made the most of it,all this talk bout pardew for england manager tho,dont make me laf

• soundoid

Jan 27, 2012 at 2:34 PM

Demba’s on a flight back.

• Thump

Jan 27, 2012 at 2:37 PM

Where’d you hear that, soundoid?

• soundoid

Jan 27, 2012 at 2:37 PM

Both of them i should say.

• soundoid

Jan 27, 2012 at 2:37 PM

Danny Guthrie on facebook.

• TOONCHRIS

Jan 27, 2012 at 2:39 PM

I have a feelin there will defo be 1 or 2 in before the window shuts,does any1 know anything about the winger from italy we are after

• Thump

Jan 27, 2012 at 2:39 PM

Don’t think that’s him, soundoid.