Newcastle Could Bring In This Center-Back On Loan

If Newcastle cannot get Adrian Mariappa in from Watford before next Tuesday evening, who are the other targets  Newcastle are pursuing?

Cesena’s Yohan Benalouane – available on loan

We know that a number of their top targets like James Tomkins are not available in January, but the 22 year-old could be available in the summer, if for example West Ham don’t gain promotion back to the Premier League.

Things change in six months in football and a lot of the targets Newcastle have been identified with this month, will remain targets in the summer,  if they don’t arrive at Newcastle before the transfer window slams shut next Tuesday.

But Newcastle have to bring in a center-back as cover in the next four days, and if they are not successful with Mariappa they could try to bring Cesena center-back  Yohan Benalouane in on loan for the rest of the season.

However, it appears that French club Auxerre are now interested in the center-back.

The 24 year-old Cesena defender has been a target of Newcastle in January, and the lad was born of  Algerian parents in France, much like our own Ben Arfa.

And it seems that Hatem Ben Arfa has been letting Alan Pardew know just how highly he rates the 24 year-old center-back, who is not a regular in the Cesena side and has never  played for Tunisia, but he has been capped once for the French U21 side.

But Newcastle scouts must see something in this lad, and it seems he would be available as a permanent transfer or as an initial loan deal, as he seems to only play the Cup games for the Italian side.

The reports yesterday on French radio station RMC  were that Auxerre want to take the 24-year-old on loan until the end of the season, with a view to a permanent transfer.

If Newcastle cannot get Mariappa in from Watford that would tend to put a spanner in the works if Newcastle were thinking of getting this lad in as cover for Coloccini and Williamson.

And when Alan said the following

“When we come in for a player suddenly another club gets interested and the prices start going up. Suddenly we get into a bidding war. That’s something we try to avoid.”

Alan is more likely to be talking about Mariappa since Swansea and Bolton are also said to be interested in the player.

Whatever Newcastle do, time is running out with only 4 days left in the transfer window, and we cannot say we are looking forward much to next Tuesday either.

That’s because we may get some rude awakenings,  like happened with Andy Carroll a year ago, and if we can keep all our players by Wednesday – that will be  a huge relief.

• The Shola Show

Jan 27, 2012 at 9:51 AM

Newcastle Could Bring In This Center-Back On Loan

• Partizan

Jan 27, 2012 at 9:56 AM

Regarding the Game against Brighton,i think our loss against Fulham came at the right time…for sure we will be motivated more than enough to destroy Brighton to lift our confidence where it belongs…my prediction would be 3-0 even without Ba and Cisse.
    HBA,Best,Guthrie on the scoresheet.

• cjcox88

Jan 27, 2012 at 10:00 AM

I just wanted to come on here, having watched the criticism of Mariappa from afar, to put them right. I had a season ticket at NUFC for 3 years, but when I had to move back home (watford) before moving to the city (London) I had a Watford season ticket for two years.

Now I don’t know what basis everyone else is judging him on, I guess the fact they don’t know who he is and plays in the Championship but I can actually judge him on 70 odd games over 2-3 seasons. The boy is committed, quick, strong and good in the air for a smaller player. He was there at the same time Williamson was and Mariappa was also considered the star defender. If he didn’t play they more than often lost, and definitely leaked goals. He is a good player and would do a good job as BACK UP, because that’s what we are signing, not a first choice.

What gets me even more about the fact people criticise him is that inevitably the same people want to see Douglas come in, a player that they also probably have never really seen play, but they have bought him on Football manager. Mariappa is far better in the sense that he knows he is coming as back up and will not agitate for first team – if douglas comes in and finds himself on bench next season how long will it be until he wants to leave/causes trouble in the dressing room?

Still back the management who have done so well on transfers, I think Mariappa is good enough (far better than Willo) and they think he is good enough too. If you disagree, because you have watched Mariappa play 10-20 times and have identified faults I haven’t fine, if its because of rep/who he plays for then you aren’t qualfied to make that judgment.

• bambams

Jan 27, 2012 at 10:08 AM

@cjcox88
    Excellent comments, well made. I for one know nothing about this lad and i am not one bit worried about signing him- i have a lot of faith in the scouting network as past signings show.

I would love to get a player (CB) in soon because you know what happens in the last 5 hrs of this window, MADNESS and other clubs may find they need to bring a CB in quickly hence lesson our choices.

Just hope and prey we do not also become a selling club during the last day.

• ilovetoon8788

Jan 27, 2012 at 10:09 AM

yohan benalouse. yeah he can’t even get into cesana starting line up and can’t even get called up to Tunisia. no thank you. don’t want him.

• Ponderous Pardew

Jan 27, 2012 at 10:15 AM

Just sign Mbiwa and be done with it. Williamson should only be a back-up. Next season, when Saylor returns, Mbiwa can move to RB, then over to CB when Saylor inevitably breaks down with another half-season layoff.

• duncandisorderly

Jan 27, 2012 at 10:15 AM

Well said cj. Too many people making snap judgements based on YouTube, etc

• Kjdtoon

Jan 27, 2012 at 10:20 AM

Seriously why dont we just try to sign Samba??? Hes a quality center back and is desperate to leave blackburn!! and we defo have the money because of the 35million carol sold for…. so if we where that ambitious we would cash out for players like that to improve our chances of europe..not mariappa..

• jayphoto

Jan 27, 2012 at 10:21 AM

will be happy with any specialist centre half to be honest! we don’t tend to sign players that don’t have potential these days, not like the freddie shepherd era, so i’ll trust the manager and scouts!

• estechco

Jan 27, 2012 at 10:24 AM

@cjcox88 – Very interesting info!
    The site seems to have become increasingly full of bickering children, so it’s nice to see a properly thought through contribution for a change.

• OoAhDembaBa

Jan 27, 2012 at 10:24 AM

respect comments a lot like the one from cjcox, too many hypocrites on here

• West Lancs Geordie

Jan 27, 2012 at 10:27 AM

Just get Samba in. He obviously wants to leave Rovers & I doubt QPR would be his preferred destination. Willo isn’t good enough & Saylor is injury prone. Samba would provide strength & brawn with Colo the finesse.

• GeordieToon89

Jan 27, 2012 at 10:43 AM

Good think about Marriapa which is what we need from a CB is hes quick and committed i.e Steven Taylor which is what weve been missing only hes quicker than Taylor lol

• West Lancs Geordie

Jan 27, 2012 at 10:45 AM

Mariappa could turn into bidding war as Bolton in for him now alongside Cardiff & Swansea. This can only push up his price. Not something Pards & MA would get into

• G

Jan 27, 2012 at 10:46 AM

cjcox88, excellent post mate. I said something similar a few days ago, words to the affect that I expected him to be pushing for the first team, as he is a far better player than some on here give him credit for. I’ve only seen him play on 6 or 7 occasions, but on every occasion he has looked like a good solid no-nonsense defender to me.

• jayphoto

Jan 27, 2012 at 10:46 AM

GT89 – Seen Mariappa a few times, tbh I thought his style looked more collo than taylor! He reads the game very well, makes a lot of interceptions, not the strongest in the air etc, he is quick though!

• Rotonda heights

Jan 27, 2012 at 10:48 AM

cjcox88

I don’t buy that, just making up the numbers routine. Whoever we buy should be challenging Willo, whose lack of pace and inability to play the ball out from defense has been seriously exposed, despite his prowess in the air. otherwise we end up with more Perchs etc.

• FloridaToon

Jan 27, 2012 at 10:49 AM

I don’t see Bolton in for him as they just signed Ream, plus if he has put in a transfer request as reported I can’t see him picking either over us as we are pushing for Europe.

• cjcox88

Jan 27, 2012 at 10:56 AM

Rotonda

Thought my post made it clear I thought he was a better player than Williamson and that’s also what Watford fans think. Let’s face it willo isn’t first choice anyway. Taylor is when fit. I’m becoming so bored of people expecting to sign 4 top notch players for every position one year after gettig promoted. He will challenge willo, in fact he would probably take his place eventually. Get real people he is a high quality back up cb, that can also play rb/lb and therefore exactly what we need.

• Rotonda heights

Jan 27, 2012 at 10:58 AM

Just said anyone coming in shouldn’t be viewed as cover but as someone who can go straight in and challenge for a starting position.

• jayphoto

Jan 27, 2012 at 11:00 AM

CJCOX88 – agreed! hate the snobbery towards lower level players! The same people that were calling for jason prior to get a deal are slating the idea of signing Mariappa! There are some great players in the league below, I mean to be honest, 2 years ago collocini was a championship player! Just look at players like Williams and britton at swansea, Pilkinton and holt at norwich,all players that have come up through the lower leagues and look quality in the premier league!

• NornIronToon

Jan 27, 2012 at 11:01 AM

Well said cj. I’m sure our scouts know better than us fantasy managers. Ilovetoon @5, benalouane declared himself to Tunisia only to turn them down when called up. This has left him in the international wilderness. Cesena have rodriguez, Uruguay international. Von Bergen, swiss international and Rossi an u21 Italian international all playing cb.
    I for one would be very happy to see yohan at Newcastle, maybe a change is what he needs ! Loan with an option to buy.

• NornIronToon

Jan 27, 2012 at 11:02 AM

In Carr we trust !

• Beattie25

Jan 27, 2012 at 11:03 AM

You lot are so fickle. Jumping from one band wagon to the net.

I have no dubts over the quaties of Mariappa but if we do sign him he smells of a panic buy to me.

I for one would not be happy with a player who will be happy being, as cjcox88 put it ‘BACK UP’. We have and have had too many mercanaries and that kind of player, pleased to be sat on the bench, coming on if someone gets injured, playing leauge cup games and pocketing a good wage every week does not breed a good mentality in the club.

If we are going to get a CB it had to be one of two things. A quality CB that will come in to, or threaten the starting CB’s, straight away. This breeds healthy competition and an increase in quality. So what if we have 4 quality CB’s?

OR

A good youngster with bags of potential who is good as back up for the rest of the season and will push an aging Colo and Willo next year and the one after an utlimatley be another shrewd signing.

We have to, as a club, stick to the transfer model we have bulit and not be led into panic buying. Look how well that has worked for Arsenal this year. We should continue to follow our business model at all costs and if that means bringing someone in on loan until the end of the season then yes, I believe that would be a better signing than Mariappa.

• jayphoto

Jan 27, 2012 at 11:05 AM

I saw Benalouane declared for France and rejected the call up to tunisa because he see’s himself as french and wants to play for the french national team. Just is miles down their pecking order!
    He’s actually a decent centrehalf too! aslong as we don’t sign anyone from the senegal back 4 i’ll be happy! (cue cheik m’bengue flying in lol)

• jayphoto

Jan 27, 2012 at 11:07 AM

beattie25 – i think CJ’s point was that Mariappa is good enough to push for a first team place and is rated as 1 of the finest centre halfs outside of the premier league!

• Partizan

Jan 27, 2012 at 11:08 AM

I for one would love to sign Mariappa instead od Belaoune(sorry for spelling) who has attitude problem.
    He looks like a real fighter to me who’s not affraid to go into any challenge,a true work horse if you ask me.
    I think he could take Willo’s after 3-4 games only.

• Beattie25

Jan 27, 2012 at 11:16 AM

@ jayphoto

I am not being ‘deluded’ but we should be adding higher quality with our new found status as a top club once again or keep on with the quality youngsters. I don’t want players wo are on a par or slightly better than Willo. I would like a player who follows the model of the cub and will be much better than Willo, someone who has been scouted for years and has always been our first choice CB. If that is Mariappa then ok, but I still think it would be a panic buy.

• JackButler

Jan 27, 2012 at 11:18 AM

Yohan Benalouane has great pace, something we lack in the back, reads the game well and at 22 would be a good addition

• cjcox88

Jan 27, 2012 at 11:23 AM

My last comment on Mariappa-

I have seen him 60-70 times in the flesh, I would like to have him in the squad and would not be concerned if he player. In fact think he could add something.

I don’t think that in relation to Douglas/Benalouane because I haven’t seen them play enough. just because on a youtube video he looks quick, doesn’ mean that in reality he has the speed to catch the quicker Prem league players and it could be because his positioning is poor. Unless you have seen these players play I don’t understand how you can have a strong opinion that we should get them in.

• Hemel Mag

Jan 27, 2012 at 11:24 AM

Agree 100% with CJ i live in Hemel Hempstead (as you may have guessed) and there are a lot of watford fans in the area that I know, I also have a couple in the office, none of them want to lose him and ALL rate him. The consensus is, if they lose him they’ll go down .
    I’d love to see a Samba or aDouglas but the reality is, we’re not Chelsea, Man u, or city, and unless we garauntee first team football and we end up tying up Colos contract then it’s pointless.

If we can geta decent squad player that is capable of pushing Colo etc as well as providing backup then great.

Obviously if we get into europe somehow then we might need to push the boat out a bit but we dont need to take that gamle yet IMO

• Beattie25

Jan 27, 2012 at 11:25 AM

I have seen Rangers have handed a trail to Michael Uchebo.

Has anyone seen this player? 6′ 7” and is the only tall man I have ever seen with such pace, controland power.

People like Crouch, Zigic, Jan Koller etc… always look tall but he plays like he is 6 foot.

He must be cheap if Rangers are getting him. (This post in no ways makes me an expert, just pointing out a good young player on the cheap)

• NornIronToon

Jan 27, 2012 at 11:25 AM

Jay…he switched allegiance to Tunisia after playing under age level for France.

On call up to the Tunisia side he came up with some bull $*@* excuse not to play. When called up again he then turned his back on Tunisia.

At the time he was strongly linked with a move to juventus prob thought he had was in with a shout with the French set up. Fifa got involved and ruled he should play for Tunisia bla bla bla bla….his career has somewhat stalled since.

Remember he’s still only 24.

• Beattie25

Jan 27, 2012 at 11:30 AM

cjcox

You are contradicting yourself there mate.

You are heavily pushing for Mariappa after watching him 60-70 times and say openly you have not seen the others play.

You then on to say ‘Unless you have seen these players play I don’t understand how you can have a strong opinion that we should get them in.’

Exactley, you have not seen the others play and just because you have seen a lot of Mairappa it doesn’t make the opinions of others less viable.

I for one don’t care if its Benalouane, Douglas or anyone as long as it is a player who has been throughougly scouted by professionals who watch these players we argue about week after week.

As long as we don’t buckle in the market and go against what we have done so well so far.

• Hemel Mag

Jan 27, 2012 at 11:36 AM

Beattie

“As I have said, I have no doubt’s over his qualities, but would you have been happy if we bought a Championship striker who was going to push Best for a starting place?”

You mean like Jordan Rhodes or Shane Long?

Most on here would be yeah!

• cjcox88

Jan 27, 2012 at 11:36 AM

I’m not contradicting myself, I am saying that I don’t have an opinion on the others and if they turn up I won’t be upset. The whole point is im not judging how well they would do and I’m not bothered either way if we get them, because I haven’t seen them play.

All I am saying is Mariappa would be a good buy because I have seen him play. I wouldn’t rather him than the others, what I would rather is people trust the club and stop criticising a player because they don’t know how good he is/how he plays

• NornIronToon

Jan 27, 2012 at 11:38 AM

Beattie on uchebo, stoke had him on trial this month and turned him down.
    His agent has said today his trial at rangers ended after one day after the club gave a poor first impression.

• ilovetoon8788

Jan 27, 2012 at 11:47 AM

as cjcox88 put it, Mariappa is good as a BACK UP. We were having centre halves problem from almost the mid of last season. We have had more than 1 1/2 years to rectify that situation to scour the globe for a centre halve that will be in the FIRST TEAM and not BACK UP.

Mariappa sure sounds like a panic buy to me.

• bambams

Jan 27, 2012 at 11:47 AM

I am unaware if others have read this, but according to The Journal we are going to offer a ‘take it or leave it’ for Mariappa………

Does this (if accurate) mean we know how much they will accept or we have another target in our sights?

• Beattie25

Jan 27, 2012 at 11:48 AM

@ Hemel Mag

With regards to Jordan Rhodes I did mention that we should be buying quality youngsters to push the team in the next few years, which I have no doubt Rhodes could do so it is unfair to put him in the same catagorey as Mariappa. Plus he is a Leauge 1 striker and I would not have been happy if we had signed him for our first team.

Shane Long is a decent player doing very well for West Brom and I would have liked to have seen him at the toon but you are again missing the point. He would have not pushed Best he wold have taken his place. His quality stood out in the Championship and would have ben regarded as a starter without a doubt. The palyer we are talking about (Mariappa) would only ‘push’ Willo for a spot, not take it.

We should be looking for players who can surpass (or have the potential to surpass) that to which we aready have. I am not slating lower leauge football or the ability of Mariappa but I would not be happy if we signed him only to stick him on the bench for the next 3,4 or 5 years.