Newcastle have made an improved offer for Watford center-back Adrian Mariappa.
Adrian Mariappa third bid in – the last one?
That’s according to the Daily Mirror today, and if true that would be Newcastle’s third offer for the 25 year-old.
Newcastle were said to have bid around £2M earlier in the week after their initial offer of £750K for the player was dismissed out of hand and derided by Watford manager Sean Dyche, who seemed to be insulted by the bid.
With the transfer window running out early next week, there is not much time to get in a new center-back, and Newcastle have until Tuesday evening to do it..
The Newcastle Journal are reporting today the offer is in the region of £2.5M and it is take it or leave it offer, but its’ not the £4M that Watford seem to value the player at.
Swansea City and Bolton Wanderers are also said to be interested in the player, but whether any bids have come in from those two Premier League clubs, we don’t know, and it would be surprising if either club would bid higher than Newcastle for the player.
However, there is late news this morning that Swansea are about to bid 3.5M for Mariappa, but it’s hard to know if that report in GOAL is true.
Adrian has played 231 times for Watford with 3 goals and he is player Newcastle are hoping will improve if he gets a chance in the Premier League, much like what another former Watford player, Mike Williamson, has done on Tyneside.
Newcastle are looking for cover at center-back before the transfer window closes, and will bring in another defender in the summer.
That’s when some of their top targets could be available like James Tomkins of West Ham, Ajax’s Jan Vertonghen or Montpellier captain Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa, who can play anywhere across the back four.