Alan Pardew Would Prioritize FA Cup Over Premier League

If Newcastle can get a good run going in the FA Cup this season, he is willing to field a weakened side in the league in order to increase Newcastle’s chances of winning the FA Cup.

Alan Pardew – prioritized FA Cup at West Ham

And apparently he did that before when he was manager at West Ham.

West Ham came within a minute or two of winning that final over Liverpool at the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff  back in 2006, until Steven Gerrard equalized in the first minute of injury time to make it 3-3, and West Ham eventually lost out on penalties after no goals were scored in extra time.

Alan talked about that today to the local press:

“I actually did field a weakened team and got huge criticism at West Ham when we played Spurs,” “We were due to play Middlesbrough after a Saturday game and I rested six or seven players and Spurs beat us handsomely.”

“I was not too popular in the East End at the time but then we won and I was popular. So I would consider it. It is all about prioritising what is important.”

“Obviously the teams in the relegation zone and in and around the bottom of the Premier League, I sympathise with them when the FA Cup comes around.”

“In that situation, your status and the financial impact is such that you have to focus on the league. You have to adjust to where you are as well. Horses for courses.”

“I just think it is the second biggest competition we can win, the biggest is the league and the chances of us winning that with the funds we have against some of the top clubs makes if very very difficult.”

“I would not say impossible but very very difficult. The Cup levels the playing field and gives us an opportunity of winning a trophy and getting into Europe.”

“If players from whatever country, cannot grasp that, then it is my job that they do. So I will stress the importance of this competition.”

Obviously Newcastle now want to qualify for Europe this season, whichever way we can.

It seems that all Newcastle players know the importance of the FA Cup,  and therefore also the importance of today’s game, which kick-off at 5:15 pm at the Amex Stadium in Brighton.

It’s our first game since the second half at Fulham last Saturday, so we are hoping to seee a good performance from the Newcastle team in the first half, and that they keep that up over the full 90 minutes this afternoon.

If the lads can do that then we should be in the hat for the 5th round draw.

Here’s hoping.

• PortsladeToon

Jan 28, 2012 at 9:04 AM

I’m already doon in Brighton ready for todays match can’t wait for kick off only 8hrs 9mins and 57secs to go

• roshan MAGPIE

Jan 28, 2012 at 9:07 AM

hey any one know at what time the game will start IST

• deeeeeeano

Jan 28, 2012 at 9:07 AM

If he gets a new centre back over the line the team won’t really be that weakend, strong frontline with the dembas, any centre mid of chiek, cabaye, abide, gosling, guthrie and Vukic. Two fullbacks with taylor filling in for either and tav and ferguson also there. Just no cb cover.

• PortsladeToon

Jan 28, 2012 at 9:08 AM

5.15pm kick off from 4.30 on espn

• roshan MAGPIE

Jan 28, 2012 at 9:11 AM

thanks portslade toon i guess it starts at 10-30 pm

• LewSpi

Jan 28, 2012 at 9:19 AM

“The Cup levels the playing field and gives us an opportunity of winning a trophy and getting into Europe.”

I thought it was just te league cup which gets you into Europe?

In a side note, I really hope he plays Ferguson today, the lads needs some game time.

I’d hope that, if Colo is actually out, he’ll pick this team…

————-Krul
    Simmo Perch Colo Santon
    ——-Guthrie Cabaye
    Jonas——Benny—-Ferguson
    ————-Best

• WWJBD

Jan 28, 2012 at 9:26 AM

LewSpi
    Ferguson is seen as a LB by Pards by all accounts so he wont be played on the wing

• toonarmydownsouth

Jan 28, 2012 at 9:30 AM

————-Krul
    Simmo Perch Willo Santon
    ——-Guthrie Cabaye
    R.taylor——Benny—-Jonas
    ————-Best

Subs: harps tav kadar abied vuckic gosling moby

• Dannyo

Jan 28, 2012 at 9:34 AM

Wolves eying up Best and Loven.
    I want to keep Best, he’s been a good assister for us, in addition to score 4 goals. Loven can move, would be nice to get some pocket change for him before his contract is up.

• Indian Magpie

Jan 28, 2012 at 9:34 AM

10: 45 PM IST, not on TV

• LewSpi

Jan 28, 2012 at 9:35 AM

WWJBD

I know he is, which is a shame because he makes a much better winger. His size alone means he’ll never really be able to play left back.

TDS

I like the look of that team aswell. I think LuaLua will be a handful for us today so we’ll need some defensive help for simmo.

• cabayeclass7

Jan 28, 2012 at 9:36 AM

Lewspi u put colo in even tho u picked your team based on him missing… Poor willo lol

• toonarmydownsouth

Jan 28, 2012 at 9:37 AM

Lewspi yeah lua is gonna be a tricky lad think this will be a tough tbf

• WWJBD

Jan 28, 2012 at 9:40 AM

LewSpi
    I agree mate but if he has to play LB in order to get him a first team chance then am all for it, loved him last season and have been gutted that he hasen’t been around this season….though thats down to a injury (I think) and him bulking up a lot

• toons4eva

Jan 28, 2012 at 11:56 AM

yea……10 45…..and not on pix

• klenja

Jan 28, 2012 at 12:11 PM

man they never show newcastle matches on pix………sad

• cupiddstunt

Jan 28, 2012 at 1:05 PM

I suppose the proof of the pudding is in the fact that we sit sixth in the league even though we have had some hiccups’.

In cup competitions there’s no room for hiccups.

Ok in a two legger there is a small window for recovery, but in general if you have a howler then that is you out, and we have had a few.

We have had seven losses, one to Blackburn in the cup, a loss by one goal and we were out, and yet six in the league and we are still in sixth place and hoping for Europe.

So yes more chance of recovery from a hiccup in the league so go strong in the cup.