Apologies Wear A Bit Thin – We’ll Put Things Right At Blackburn

Leon Best has come out and told the Newcastle supporters not to worry – the team spirit is still high in the Newcastle dressing room.

Leon Best  in action yesterday

We think Brighton may have had a couple of half chances in the game yesterday, but after 76 minutes they managed to get the only goal of the game,  albeit a deflection off Mike Williamson for an own goal.

Mike also scored an unfortunate own goal a year ago, when Newcastle were ignominiously knocked out of the FA Cup by then League Two side Stevenage.

Leon Best was trying to look on the bright side of things after the game:

We will be looking to drive on and get back to winning ways.  It will be a tough game but we believe in ourselves.

We have come here and lost, but we just need to get back to winning ways and we believe we can.  It is good that we have a game that quick to be able to do that.

Obviously we are disappointed at losing today. I think they only had one chance and that was going wide, but a deflection took it in.

We are disappointed to be out of the cup. We thought we could have done well and had a good run because a few big teams are already out of it.

I do not think we played that bad here today. They played some good football and stopped us from doing certain things, but we were not bad.

It is a bit disappointing when you are not playing bad but still managing to lose.

And the people we always feel sorry for when Newcastle are embarrassed on the road,  are the faithful fans who made the long journey to watch Newcastle play yesterday.

2,300 Newcastle supporters traveled to the Amex Stadium to watch their side on Saturday night, and that was after watching the lads be humiliated by Fulham of all sides last Saturday.

It couldn’t have been a pleasant trip back home for those fans.

Leon continued:

It is always about them. When we win it’s for them as well as the Club itself, because they are the Club,  We are devastated, and can only apologise to them.

It is a long way for them to come and we will try to put things right for them on Wednesday at Blackburn.

After that debacle in the second half at Fulham, followed by the embarrassment of being eliminated from the FA Cup for the second year running by a lower league team, these apologies are getting a bit thin and hard to take.

They remind us too much of the relegation season where we would be beaten, and then players would come out and say they were going to win the next game, and all that good stuff.

And then we’d lose (again) and they’d come out and apologize and so it would go on.

It’s either about results or reasons, and all we’ve had for the last two games is the reasons why Newcastle have been beaten by teams they were expected to win against.

But there’s nothing like a win to turn things around, that’s for sure,  and if we can get Demba Ba and Papiss Cisse back in the side for the game at Ewood Park,  we have a decent chance to get all 3 points.

Best and Ameobi were ineffective yesterday, and were not much better the previous weekend in London.

We hope Pardew  puts our Senegal strikers straight into the fray on Wednesday night, but we somehow have our doubts that he will, and could give Ameobi and Best another shot up front.

That would not be good.

What do you think?

Comments welcome.

• Toonboy_83

Jan 29, 2012 at 9:46 AM

Why was Best playing as LW all game??? And why did we have both HBA and Gutierrez at RW?

• Indian Magpie

Jan 29, 2012 at 9:48 AM

i dont know how many cup and league games BEST has played for NUFC , but he has scored in just 7 games

• Toonboy_83

Jan 29, 2012 at 9:52 AM

Hopefully I’m praying to god that Pappiss and Demba will both start against Blackburn in a 4-4-2 formation with Gutierrez staying on the left.

• Rotonda heights

Jan 29, 2012 at 9:53 AM

Thanks for that previous cheerful headline about Ba leaving Ed. Just what we needed.

I think BA’s goals have camourflaged a lot of ours or Pardew’s shortcomings. A high line, 442, long ball, players out of position, terrible subs either too late and the wrong uninspired ones, weird team selections, keeping Shola and Guti on all game, playing favourites over better players etc.

BA has carried us but without him, we look totally toothless and appear to have no discernible game plan whatsoever..

I think carr has got us some quality players but with better management we could easily have had another 10 points this season.

• Rotonda heights

Jan 29, 2012 at 9:54 AM

yes we didn’t have the ba’s and tiote, but this was brighton!!!!!!

• Dennis Twice

Jan 29, 2012 at 9:55 AM

Dembaaaaaaaaaa! Come back save us, oh` Dembaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

• ToonIcon

Jan 29, 2012 at 10:03 AM

starting to think we wont sign anyone else this window
    can also see david craig on ssn on tuesday saying just hearing newcastle bid for x y z like last couple of windows
    think this is a mistake and a big gamble by the board

• lordjoesnow

Jan 29, 2012 at 10:05 AM

Do you know that Lovenkrands (or Loverman) fella? His FA Cup record for us is 3 goals in 2 starts and 1 sub appearance, making him prolific!!

If he played, he would have scored!
    WHY OH WHY play so negatively???

It’s like Pardew decides his team and the substitutions he is going to make, there is no point in bringing players like Kadar, Obertan and Lovenkrands all the way down to Brighton because he never intended on playing them!

• ToonIcon

Jan 29, 2012 at 10:08 AM

i also think the busiest man on tyneside thissummer is ganna be graham carr can see a lot of ins and outs this summer

• NotAGhostToon

Jan 29, 2012 at 10:10 AM

(I don’t post on here often but gonna jump straight in) Rotonda I’ve heard that agrument a lot and I can understand your point as I think Pardew did get his tactics wrong the past 2 games, and I was screaming for subs to push on way before we collapsed in both games. However I think to say Demba has papered over the cracks is a bit over the top, I think any side needs a goalscorer, so ultimately we’ve needed another striker, but in reality you can hardly say we should’ve brought in 3 strikers at once in the last summer window, so getting one in each window and being a little more patient and pushing on NEXT season (okay we’ve had to do that a little too much but this time seriously…) I think our play has been quite good the past few games and if you swapped demba in in place of best and cisse in instead of ameobi I can see how it would work, and maybe just maybe pardew is trying to get the players used to this style of play in time for them to come back? Finally even if this was the case I think he should have mixed up where each player played….not have both best and ameobi on at once because they lack pace and technical ability for these roles or scrap the formation until the right players are around. However I think if we play like we did yesterday but had someone who could put the ball in the back of the net and keep the momentum up I think we still have that good side everyone thought we had!

• blacklight_joe

Jan 29, 2012 at 10:10 AM

its so frustrating to watch our team beaten by this Brighton side, and go out from the fa cup again, i just cant believe how sh amobie still play he is a disaster, and i still cant understand our formation, esp when AP make the sub, what the hell dose he thinking and how those 3 sub could change the game in his mind, i just don’t understand, anyway i think we lost a good chance again of reaching the upper stage of the cup as we did in the carling cup, just see Cardiff city and u’ll now what i mean, i’m waiting our strikers back and hopefully when they come that’s mean no more mr. amobie

• stuart no9

Jan 29, 2012 at 10:12 AM

“Spirits still high in the dressing room” ah well thats alright then, trouble is bestie you seem to leave those high spirits in the dressing room when you go on the pitch.nevermind “we will put it right in our next game” did someone say that after the fulham game?. Steve kean was at the game yesterday, somehow I dont think he would have lost any sleep last night. I think he already knows how to beat us next week, simply change his formation at half time

• BigKirky

Jan 29, 2012 at 10:17 AM

It was a poor showing up front yesterday and I’m really disappointed to be out of the cup. It was a great chance of winning it because Man U and City were out. They had the luck of the deflected goal though.

It’s not just about Shola and his ‘hold up play’ where he was winning balls in the air. Yes, there weren’t players close enough to him when he did win it, however, as I’ve said recently, his movement looking for the ball is very poor indeed and I noticed a good few times other players gesturing to him and Best to come looking for the pass cos they just weren’t making runs. I’ve seen that in plenty of matches previously. If u go to the games and can see the full pitch ul see that Ba is on a different level with his movement.

Best does work hard I reckon, but like Shola, he’s not a ‘quality’ forward like Ba, hence the less than quality movement and goal scoring which comes with them in the side.

Odd goals every half dozen matches doesn’t make up for their lack of product in the games in between – which the team relies upon. We don’t need nearly men, we need players who put the ball in the back of the net regardless and thankfully Ba and Cisse do just that and I cant wait to have ’em back.

I do agree though that Shola and Best or a new youngster should be third and fourth choice, cos you wont get a player of Ba’s calibre being happy to keep being benched.

Lets try and think positively for Blackburn though.

P.s. I thought Perch had a pretty decent game.

• Benji84

Jan 29, 2012 at 10:24 AM

I have to agree Bigkirky that Perch did play well and credit is needed. What does piss me off about Pardew is always does a sub on the 60-65 min and then someone young at 80-85. Why not mix it up why wait till 60 minutes to change it up. I still cant believe how hate is for shola in these blogs I must say he does shit me to tears and if he decided to play properly he could of been decent premier league striker people who always remembered. But as you can see he has taken the easy road as he still gets games and does what he likes. I think he should go just like Smith a waste of space

• spitfire_

Jan 29, 2012 at 10:24 AM

As far as I remember Pardew said couple of weeks ago that the lesson from Stevenage is learned… well. Honestly I’m pleased with the season so far but Pardew put the bar too high and this kind of result are mood killer. If we played and was on the same level like last year this lose from Brighton will be accepted like something normal… now its just unacceptable… especially after the what we have against maunre blackburn and qpr.

• GeordieDan

Jan 29, 2012 at 10:38 AM

“Apologies wearing a bit thin”? What an understatement that is!

An apology just doesn’t cut it this time. Maybe next year Pardew will think again before jetting off our “stars” on a sunshine jolly!?!

It certainly did f all good against a team we should have beaten by 3 or 4 goals at least!

A pathetic effort and us fans do not appreciate a well below performance shrugged off and dealt with by a bullshit apology.

Fuk apologies and play football like someone who gets paid tens of thousands of pounds a week should be playing!

Premier league pussies let us down again ! And we wonder why we’ve won nowt for more than 50 years? Why should they care they get paid regardless don’t they.

I know this is a rant and I don;t give a shit. I’m very, very pissed off we lost yesterday coz we had a very good chance to win something this year and yet again we go out in embarrassing fashion.

AAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Ed Harrison

Jan 29, 2012 at 10:47 AM

GeordieDan – I know exactly how you feel.

• stoonley

Jan 29, 2012 at 10:47 AM

and gloomy sunday begins! hopefully with a couple of added demba-like ingredients we can make it a somewhat less gloomy thursday…

• jimmymagpie

Jan 29, 2012 at 10:55 AM

Well, now we know how Pardew prepared the team for a cup-tie, taking them out for a late night drinking binge just 72 hours before the game. I was at Heathrow before first light after 3 hours sleep to catch the flight home after spending a week away watching the debacle at Fulham and the crap at Brighton. This club is in the hand of an owner with only a finacial policy to suit himself, a Chief Executive who thinks it funny to run naked across SJP because he lost a bet, and a tactically inept, womanising, gambling addict for a manager, presiding over a playing squad of predominately 2nd rate players, who, back in the day when this club actually won domestic trophies, wouldn’t have been deemed good enough to play for Gateshead.

• jimmymagpie

Jan 29, 2012 at 10:57 AM

What makes things worse – you watch the Mackems heve a damned good tilt at the cup this year.

• stoonley

Jan 29, 2012 at 11:10 AM

so jimmymagpie, remind me how you’d consider yourself a ‘fan’…

• GeordieDan

Jan 29, 2012 at 11:11 AM

Ed>

I’m 32 years old mate and you know as much as I do what we’ve been through as supporters over the years. I can’t remember being so frustrated by our team? Honestly.

I’ve bled black and white my entire life and I really thought this season we’d have a great chance of actually getting to Wembley or perhaps even better this season with our team and the way Man City and Man U were already gone-why not?

Just gutted that nothing’s on the horizon yet again after so much promise has just been thrown away without even a fight.

Anyway, best wishes to you my friend. Hope everything’s going well for you and your family!

Keep up the great work on this blog. Maybe next season eh? 😀

• jimmymagpie

Jan 29, 2012 at 11:20 AM

Stoonley – Well mate I’m 78 years old in ||May, have supported this club home, away, and in Europe, since 1948. I had a major stomach operation early last year, and have still managed to be at every game this season, except Liverpool away. At every match the team on the pitch gets my 100% support, as they did recently at Fulham and yesterday at Brighton, and I’m perfectly entitled to say what I think in the pub amongst fellow fans, and on blogs like this.

• Tiote4PM

Jan 29, 2012 at 11:46 AM

Disgusting show yesterday.

Everyone in the camp, players and managers need to ask themselves why they have performed this way.

Whilst I dont like slagging players off – shola was very poor yesterday. Toothless.

We just didn’t turn up which is even more frustrating than being beaten heavily.

• GeordieDan

Jan 29, 2012 at 11:57 AM

jimmymagpie>

You pay your money and support your team mate.

You can say what you like, it’s your opinion. That’s what blogs are for.

At least you can still remember us actually winning something eh? My generation has nowt but hope and frustration but I’ll support the team until the day I die and hopefully one day I’ll finally see it happen and us win something, anything. 😀

• Sav

Jan 29, 2012 at 12:15 PM

Best says they believe in themselves, but if he’d believed in himself and his team-mates he, for one, should have got himself into the 6 yard box a few times yesterday in expectation of a ball in. Everyone wanted to play on the fringes and help the build-up and no-one was prepared to trust in himself and his team-mates and gamble on a speculative run into the critical area.

• Ian Magpie

Jan 29, 2012 at 1:08 PM

Jimmymagpie ……………….I have nothing but respect for you and well said! In your time supporting the Toon you have no doubt seen some truly wonderful times and some horrific times. You more than anyone on here are what I would call a true fan. RESPECT and shame on those that question it!

• Ian Magpie

Jan 29, 2012 at 1:19 PM

As for apologies from the team/management…….you can stuff it where the sun doesn’t shine! After 35 years of watching the Toon I like thousands of others have never felt that Buzz of seeing the lads lift a trophy! I feel totally let down with the team and its the fans who are once again totally humiliated and are AGAIN the laughing stock of English football! Losing to an average Championship side that JUST got past a none league side in round 3……..arghhhhh! Leave the apologies and put it right on the pitch!!!!!!!!!!!!! You have some making up todo!!!!!

• Marty-Toon

Jan 29, 2012 at 2:05 PM

Blah blah blah!
    I actually think Best is decent striker for us but alongside Shola he gets no help.
    Shola won a lot of headers yesterday but he’s so slow he doesn’t make runs to take away defenders.
    If AP starts the same team against Blackburn then it’ll be the same outcome.
    Surely Ben Arfa and Leon up front or Leon with loven would be better

• Munster Mag

Jan 29, 2012 at 2:11 PM

Jimmy, thats a shameful analysis of Pardew and you should be ashamed of yourself. Awful performance yesterday, but 0-0 would have been a fairer score and we would have beaten them at home. Instead you go off on this solo run. If the club makes you that miserable mate, go support Barca.

• Benton Toon Exile

Jan 29, 2012 at 4:19 PM

I hear a lot of support for Alan Pardew but in the last two games he has been to blame for both defeats.

Yesterday, Brighton were shit scared of us and anyone who was inside the stadium could sense that from the first second of the game. If we had played 442 and had a go at them from the off we would most likely have smashed them by 5 or lost 3-2 in a blinding game.

Either way we would have gone home happy.

Sorry guys…But poor tactics led to a poor performance and a poor game….Pardew is reaping what he has sewn!