One The Positive Side – Europa Cup Spot Still A Possibility

It must be hard being a manager when you have said the lads will put up a good performance after the Fulham disaster, and then we  lose to a lower league side in the FA Cup.

Alan Pardew  it was a bit galling

And it’s not gone unnoticed that’s for the second year in a row Newcastle have been eliminated from the FA Cup by a lower league side,  after the disaster of Stevenage last January.

It seems the TV people were expecting a shock result, because our game was put back to a late kick off game, and for the second weekend in a  row the Newcastle game was televised live  around the world,  and we lost.

Alan Pardew is not blaming the players’ commitment, but the lads didn’t create too many chances, and those that we did create, we missed.

This is how Alan tried to explain it after the game:

Its just a bit galling really, Brighton are very good at pulling teams around and manoeuvring the ball around but they didnt really do that.

They had to dig in and be gritty and theyve nicked a goal on the break. You have to applaud them for that because they’ve had to defend very, very well.

But from our side were scratching our heads as to how weve not come away with at least a draw. The attitude of the players and commitment was good.

The balance was good. You just wanted that moment and sometimes its difficult to criticise players for not producing a moment, but thats what was missing.

It was tough on us. We had good control of the game, although we were hoping to threaten the goal a little bit more than we did.

Their goal was unfortunate, because when Will Buckley broke away Danny Simpson held his hands up and got out of the way, after he had already received one yellow card and didn’t want to get sent off for another poor challenge.

But then the Brighton player went unchallenged down the left wing, cut inside and put in a shot that was going wide, but then Mike Williamson turned it into his own net.

And we were suddenly 1-0 down and 14 minutes left to play, and my face was in my hands – for the second game running. 😀

And it seemed Newcastle should have had a penalty right before the end of the game,  when the ball hit Ashley Barnes hand from a shot by Yohan Cabaye.

But the referee Lee Probert  didn’t give it and probably didn’t see it – but what are the referee’s assistants doing these days?

Pardew talked about the possible penalty:

It was a big shout from our fans, I guessed it had hit a hand. But we havent had one of them all year. We must have had 11 penalties against us all year, weve hardly had a shout for a penalty from a referee. I didnt expect to get a break if Im honest.

We knew the game was important, because we have the core of our team still to come back. We had no Coloccini, no Cheick, Papiss or Demba. We knew if we could get through it with all that coming back, it would arm us.

But unfortunately it got away from us.  Were in a good position in the league and we need to strengthen that by getting a result at Blackburn and hopefully against Villa too.

It’s a very disappointing result yesterday, but on the positive side of things we are still in 6th place in the league and with a good run-in to the end of the season we could still end up in a reasonable position  in the league.

A Europa Cup spot is a possibility, but the reality is it will be hard to finish that high up, if our form does not improve quickly.

Of course, we have to remember we are without our top two strikers in Demba Ba and Papiss Cisse, and they would certainly have made a difference yesterday, as would have Ivorian Cheick Tiote in central midfield.

The two strikers will return to Newcastle tomorrow, after Senegal finish their program with a game against Libya tonight, and so they could be available for the Blackburn game.

And that’s especially true if they don’t play tonight, which is likely.

And even after the defeat yesterday Demba Ba sent this tweet out

Cant wait to get back! From a competition to another! PL top half of the table++++++

A win on Wednesday night at Ewood Park will do a lot to lift the spirits of Newcastle fans, and who knows, we may still finish up high up in the league table and end the season on a successful note.

There’s still a lot to play for in the league – so here’s hoping.

Comments welcome.

• hainesy

Jan 29, 2012 at 10:46 AM

Gonna be very hard to do now.

• gorgonzola

Jan 29, 2012 at 10:46 AM

Look,

I also think ppl are forgetting the fact we where where Brighton was 2 seasons ago! Thats nothing hell we could have still stayed there!

I am amazed that we are back up and running pretty decenty VERY quickly…we are not a JUVENTUS where they could easily take that knock, took them LONGER to get back to form….

I think, more so than money in players its the consistency that matter, unfortunatelly usually a “pricey” (not 1m) CB or RB give you that….

I think ash has indulged in CISSE, but in all honesty looking at it from afar, thats 10 million, NOTHING in todays market….sometimes I feel as if he is toying with us soemtimes I feel as if he feels for the club, but before the window is shut I reckon we REALLY NEED a

RW/LW to me Jonas is looking tired day in day out he has lost his pace and dazzling runs…

a QUALITY RB simmo for me is just not cutting it, his defensive work is solid but not great he thumps the ball way to often for my liking instead of looking to thread the ball to somebody…

And the all important CB role that can be rotated with the likes of Collo and Taylor…

• hainesy

Jan 29, 2012 at 10:48 AM

gorgonzola – Right now I’d be happy with a CB.

• JackButler

Jan 29, 2012 at 10:48 AM

‘Youre always liable to get caught on the break. We were unfortunate on the goal, I thought. Danny had just been booked and he couldnt really make the challenge.

He skipped past Danny and then there was a deflection, which I think was the only real shot theyve had of any threat. So it is disappointing.’

So please explain to us Mr Pardew why was Simpson still on the field when Brighton’s biggest threat was coming down our right side???

You take of Santon and put Fergie on and leave Simpson on the field. When surely common sense would have been to put Santon on the right and Fergie on the left and get Simpson off the field that way we could have had a full back that WAS ABLE TO MAKE A BLOODY TACKLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• gorgonzola

Jan 29, 2012 at 10:49 AM

Yeah the CB back role is the all important replacement they cock up on that one we could be a deep trouble….. but panic buying would not be good either they dont have a plan B again by the looks of things…

• gorgonzola

Jan 29, 2012 at 10:50 AM

I also agree with JB a totaly no brainer replacement there that MR P managed to cock up…

• hainesy

Jan 29, 2012 at 10:51 AM

JackButler –
    Hahaha I’ve read virtually the same comment from you on about 5 posts since last night! You must be very worked up about it!

I just think we were naff all round.

• davybtoon

Jan 29, 2012 at 10:52 AM

Of they don’t get a cb then this window has been a bad window even with the excellent cisse signing

• gorgonzola

Jan 29, 2012 at 10:53 AM

Davbtoon…I think it will be an outrage if we dont sign a CB….

• gorgonzola

Jan 29, 2012 at 10:54 AM

To me…like Darko said on previous post…we need a CB that will come in Day one not a replacement CB or a stop gap, the way Pardew plays new CB and Cisse wil be on the bench….

• JackButler

Jan 29, 2012 at 10:55 AM

hainesy – I’m really pissed off with that feeble excuse from our manager, its not what I expect or want from him. I’m no tactical genius but that was a simple thing that he got wrong and it cost us the game, so ‘Worked up’ about it doesn’t even scratch the surface maye 🙁

• gorgonzola

Jan 29, 2012 at 10:55 AM

worst thing for me from last nights game Strolla captain….

• hainesy

Jan 29, 2012 at 10:57 AM

Unbelievable to think we’ve signed a number 9 and if we don’t get a CB it’s been a bad window! Just shows you the position we’re in.

• gorgonzola

Jan 29, 2012 at 10:58 AM

“Reports in Japan claim Lazio are closing in on the signing of CSKA Moscow midfielder Keisuke Honda. The Japan international is expected to undergo a medical on Sunday, with reports suggesting the clubs have agreed a fee and Honda has settled on personal terms.”

Damn what a deal that would be for Lazio but Honda is a better player than Lazio I am afraid 🙂

• JackButler

Jan 29, 2012 at 10:59 AM

gorgonzola // Jan 29, 2012 at 10:55 AM

worst thing for me from last nights game Strolla captain….
    ———————————————————

I was hoping that no one would mention that as I haven’t taken my blood pressure tablet yet.
    I honestly thing that Shola uses some kind of Jedi Mind Trick to keep getting himself selected and then to make him Captain………………..Jesus wept

• gorgonzola

Jan 29, 2012 at 10:59 AM

“However, according to the Daily Star Sunday, he is trying to ship out Steven Pienaar, Sebastien Bassong, Vedran Corluka, Giovani dos Santos and Roman Pavlyuchenko to create room for a couple of new signings”

Hell I would take Bassong or Vedran miles better than either Willo or Perch

• davybtoon

Jan 29, 2012 at 11:02 AM

Lads just checked n mbwia was left of Montpellier squad for there game last nyt here’s hoping

• hainesy

Jan 29, 2012 at 11:02 AM

I’d have Pav! I’m sure he’d be excellent with playing time. I just wanna see him playing consistent premier league football. Something Redknapp’s too much of a penis to do.

• JackButler

Jan 29, 2012 at 11:03 AM

Davy – God I hope M’Biwa comes to us

• fgb224lbs

Jan 29, 2012 at 11:03 AM

Id bite harrys fingers off if a cheap deal was available for corluka. Bassong can stick it, ran away when things went down hill and it got him nowhere. He’s basically a nobody nowadays. Plus he wouldn’t want to come back anyway.

• davybtoon

Jan 29, 2012 at 11:04 AM

Very strange as he’s played every game this season if someone can find out if he weren’t suspended or injured then I wud say he’s on the move

• gorgonzola

Jan 29, 2012 at 11:04 AM

Jb mate….. I have learnt to NEVER expect a victory when he starts….and often is the case i am not proved wrong as of late…

I know I dont know how that man survived for as long as he did…. Titus Bramble of the ST—-

But at 30 to still play wich makes him even slower and lazier….PPL say hey he will hold the ball up well and header some balls and to good cross passes..

Well lads I will give you this…

Ivica Olic…

When he started in Dinamo Zagreb he was the laghing stock of the town infact I think he was worse that Amebi but he had PACE to burn…

Now what made him a GOOD ST and a late bloomer is he improoved his game he wanted to improove his game and he NEVER STOPS running like a mental head case…

THAT IS GIVING YOUR HEART OUT…

Now look at progression Dinamo Zagreb – Bayern Munich and learning hard at the game…and trust me he was WORSE than ameobi of yesteryear….

• archaeomag

Jan 29, 2012 at 11:05 AM

@hainsey – we don’t need a goalie, and Pav is well into his 40s !

• davybtoon

Jan 29, 2012 at 11:05 AM

Jb mbwia has played every game so unless he was suspended or injured then he’s off lets hope they’ve done it

• Brutooon

Jan 29, 2012 at 11:06 AM

No way we going to Europe when our main striker is our no 23

Thankz got both the Dembas will be back

• hainesy

Jan 29, 2012 at 11:09 AM

archaeomag – He could be drafted in once Krul joins Spurs 😉

• Indian Magpie

Jan 29, 2012 at 11:11 AM

Shola ameobi was not the worst NUFC player yesterday, he was the worst player on the pitch.

• JackButler

Jan 29, 2012 at 11:12 AM

Davy – I know that Munich were said to be interested in M’Biwa 🙁

I just hope that like the Cisse deal we are working like hell behind the senses to get him, or someone of equal quality in, otherwise this place will be a nightmare to come on for the next few months

• Indian Magpie

Jan 29, 2012 at 11:13 AM

i would have antoine siberski over Shola any day. comparing shola to zomora, heskey etc. is a joke

• wingspan

Jan 29, 2012 at 11:14 AM

ANy body heard if theres any backlash from the Cabaye kick??? He will prob get banned for that eh.

• check the toastie

Jan 29, 2012 at 11:14 AM

Jack – Shola is no Jedi Knight – he uses the dark side of the force – a Sith Lord me thinks.

• Rosted Pork

Jan 29, 2012 at 11:14 AM

forget bout europe. jst think about winng all games now. everytime we talk bout cups etc we always loose.

• Wor Shearer

Jan 29, 2012 at 11:14 AM

I reckon either Djokovic or Nadal could do a beeter job that Shola….they definitely move more than he does!

• darko

Jan 29, 2012 at 11:15 AM

If we don’t sign a CB this window it’s as bad as not getting a striker in the last transfer window. We have know for a long time we need a new quality CB (not cover) well before Saylor was injured. Here’s hoping lads…..

• davybtoon

Jan 29, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Jb I kno but I’ve convinced we’ve been using mariappa as a smoke screen for another it’s easy to do put bids in u kno won’t b excepted hav carver n stone at the Watford match takes all the focus off what your really doin

• SurefootedShola

Jan 29, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Bore off Pardew!

• Wor Shearer

Jan 29, 2012 at 11:19 AM

btw, I reckon MA incentive-based pay is a pretty good idea.

Look at other sports, most sports persons have to win their money….the further in competitions they get the more money they get. If you win, you get millions if not, then piss off home….none of this 40k or 50k or whatever per week, no matter what!

• JackButler

Jan 29, 2012 at 11:20 AM

Davy – The same thing happened with Erdinc, everyone was concentrated on the stories that we were after him and all along we were in for Cisse, so you could be 100% right mate

• Brutooon

Jan 29, 2012 at 11:20 AM

Comparing Shola with other strikers:

Heskey – he got more goals than shola and got more england caps than shola. Overall better player than Shola. (Despite Heskey is FATTER than Ameobi)

Zamora – same like heskey. Everything better than Shola

Crouch – same overall better than Ameobi. got lots of England Caps and Goal. (Despite he is SKINNY than Ameobi)

• Indian Magpie