Cabaye Could Face Three Match Ban – For What?

The Daily Mirror and other papers are  reporting that Newcastle midfielder Yohan Cabaye could face a three match ban.

Yohan Cabaye – in collision with El-Abd

Brighton defender Adam El-Abd was left with a slightly cut lip ( with the emphasis on slightly), after the second-half collision the two had down the right wing.

El-Abd clutched his face like he had been hit by a steam train, and we can only think he thought there were some Hollywood Directors present in the crowd.

The live TV broadcast showed replays of the event again and again, and there seemed absolutely nothing in the collision between the two.

Today the Brighton player has said that referee Lee Probert has told him he will study video tapes, but we think this is simply nonsense.

This is what El-Abd said:

“I think it was frustration on his part. He had a little kick out at me. I am a big boy and I can deal with it, but I think he knew what he was doing.”

“The ref said to me at the time that he was going to have a look at it again on the monitor.  It was pretty clear and the ref could see I had blood on my lip.”

“It didn’t magic itself onto my lip.”

Football is a contact sport and it’s getting like players cannot even tackle each other these days.

We expect nothing to come of this, although it’s being reported as serious, but why that’s the case – we have no idea.

• king123

Jan 30, 2012 at 12:44 AM

its a 50/50 IMO looks bad the more times you see the replays, i guess he will get a band seeing as the fa will have to live upto the precedent they have set with baloteli.

• LGFUAD21

Jan 30, 2012 at 12:47 AM

I think tbh Cabaye may be guilty in extending his legs. But at the same time he may have just been straightening them out not knowing exactly where they were going to go.

It wasnt the sort of contact made by Ballotelli or even when Joey Barton got stamped on.

If there was proper malice in it the guy would have been missing a tooth or 2 after.

• tom tomb

Jan 30, 2012 at 12:47 AM

Just as I thought, this tool is a cry baby, sh-t stirrer! Why is he still going on about it? Thought there was a code of silence for fellow footballers!

• GeordieToon89

Jan 30, 2012 at 12:48 AM

ED – Seriously mate, Nothing init? it was a kick out and it was so obvious on the cameras.. yes not as bad as Marios in which people will compare it too but end of the day it was a kick out and he knew exactly what he was doing, hes done some bad fouls this season and could of had a few reds imo he will 99% be banned.. but as a say a really hope he doesnt

• LGFUAD21

Jan 30, 2012 at 12:49 AM

Thats said the FA will probably be aware of him shoving Shaun Derry at QPR and that kinda suggests he is a hothead that would do such a thing.

Like the commentator said at the time though. It was a foul on Cabaye and it wouldnt have happened in the first place had the ref given it.

Was a bit of a poor ref. Looked like he’d been on the disco biscuits though

• tom tomb

Jan 30, 2012 at 12:53 AM

Also is Probert going to have a few looks at the penalty he did not give? Can’t do anything now with that in retrospect, so why is he looking at Cabaye? Double standards, we could have had a draw. Now we are out of the cup and losing a player for 3 games!

• GeordieToon89

Jan 30, 2012 at 12:57 AM

agree with that we should of had a stone wall pen which was right infront of the ref

that newcastlerumours dont half right some rubbish..

Big black cars and a blacked out Galaxy have pulled up at St james park around half past 7 also theys some activity down at the training ground..

And this one says.. Newcastle to sign Mbiwa tomorrow and then Zaha on deadline day

• king123

Jan 30, 2012 at 1:01 AM

Toon89 dont believe those rumours, as according to nufcfans they have spoken to mbwia agent who says he wont be moving

• Widowmaker

Jan 30, 2012 at 2:05 AM

It does look like a kick out to me, however, it would also be difficult to really judge it as it happened too fast and Cabaye could hardly know where the opposition player was.

Overall, I think the ref had a reasonable game but were suspicious with some important decisions (the penalty). Having said that, I think we were well beaten and should have no complains what so ever. It would have only been a lucky draw had the penalty been given.

• robtheguru

Jan 30, 2012 at 2:30 AM

If he didn’t bodycheck Cabaye in the first place then the situation wouldn’t have come about. He made absolutely not attempt to play the ball.

• True-Geordie123

Jan 30, 2012 at 2:49 AM

What a big girl! Needs to grow some balls and take it on the chin.

• HKTP

Jan 30, 2012 at 3:02 AM

It was a clear bodycheck on Cabaye, but you cannot justify his stamp. He shoud never have reacted like that. It was nowhere near as Balotelli’s but still a stamp. Cabaye was very lucky to get away with it.
    Williamson is way too slow, everytime he gets the ball the players are on him like a flash. Its like he plays in slow motion. We have been talking about getting a CB for a long time, but I think we should be getting one to replace Williamson rather than a backup.
    Big mention for Perch, I thought he played a decent game against Brighton. Looked fairly composed, good distribution.
    Less said of Danny Simpson, the better.
    Please Mr. Ashley, make us all proud and sign Samba and Yanga Mbiwa.

• ginkoh

Jan 30, 2012 at 3:52 AM

They tackle us like rugby and blamed us to kick them ? Cry baby man.

• Persian Geordie

Jan 30, 2012 at 4:14 AM

i’ve already took him out of my fantasy football team.

• Solaidback

Jan 30, 2012 at 5:47 AM

From what I saw of this incident, I think Cabaye did kick out but not in anger but to release his legs from a horrible position which that nehandathal had landed on him, I mean he could have been rithing in pain with a twisted knee/ankle or summit, none of us know for sure.. I know having been in that position before, it’s bloody saw when someone that big lands on your joints, you wanna get out of it as quick as possible…. so imo, this is yet again a non-incident that the Southerne Press are making a big deal of… as for the ref taking another look, isn’t it written somewhere that if the ref/linesman didn’t see the original incident, then he can’t make a judgement by watching replays of it, he as to act there & then & not then watch a replay before writing his match report?? That is defo a new rule if the ref writes up the match after watching what a crap officail he was during it!!!!

• Jimay

Jan 30, 2012 at 5:49 AM

I am so sick of his kick outs so I say ban him for three matches and let him learn the hard way…

• Brutooon

Jan 30, 2012 at 5:59 AM

lets appeal the ban and gave that ban to SHOLA AMEOBI – the shit-est player in WORLD HISTORY

• Kjdtoon

Jan 30, 2012 at 7:15 AM

lmao this guy is a pussy! even the commontator laughed and said i think ive had more blood on my lip from shaving lol man up

• magpie6699

Jan 30, 2012 at 7:18 AM

Brotoon – your constant hatred is pathetic and your exaggeration ludicrous. Not defending some of Shola’s performances but he’s nowhere near the worst player to play for Newcastle, let alone the world. Cost nothing other than wages and scored what? 70 / 80 goals for the Toon? You think that’s worse than Martha -lie-low, Luque,Boumsong, Guivarche, Fumaca….the list goes on! Give it a rest and try to actually comment on what Ed’s posted for once.

• Lynxie

Jan 30, 2012 at 7:45 AM

Brutoon:
    I think we should offer Shola in a part exchange for Andy Carroll, who is fantastic, and probably the best player the world has ever seen, ever. I mean, when was the last time Messi climbed above two defenders to win a header? I rest my case.
    Shola is getting less effective by the week, and I dont think it is a coincidence that his poor performances have occurred immediately after Richard Branson’s sponsoring of the toon short. I think some of the blame should go to Richard Branson.

• Tsunki

Jan 30, 2012 at 7:46 AM

brutoon the Sholaphobe again! This one will go nowhere. Like Shola 🙂

• Slank

Jan 30, 2012 at 7:55 AM

I think that the issue is not whether Cabaye stamped on the player but that the player wants retrospective action taken against Cabaye by the authorities using slow motion replays.

If the authorities agree to this request then it will open a flood gate of other players wanting retrospective justice. This will get completely out of hand and will swamp the authorities; and will cause friction between players and clubs. It could also lead to other areas of football where the ref and linesmen haven’t seen the ‘offence’ or ‘incident’ .

For example, would Boro seek justice against the Sunderland player who handled the ball in the area which the ref and linesman didn’t see but all the Boro players did. Whilst the goal was not given, it was nevertheless cheating and a yellow should be given.

• voodoo85

Jan 30, 2012 at 8:18 AM

toon player or not i dont like to see this sort of thing, seemed an intentional extension of the leg that yohan tried to make look natural

• Scottishtoon95

Jan 30, 2012 at 8:30 AM

Gordon Strachen(I think) said it looked like Cabaye was extending his leg so he could jump back up, and watch it with that in mind it just seems Cabaye accidentally caught him.

• stunna

Jan 30, 2012 at 8:52 AM

I thought Cabaye meant to do it. He was frustrated he was fouled & didn’t get the call. I don’t think he’ll get a ban. It was sneaky enough and not very violent – still a dumb, dangerous move.

• JRP1970

Jan 30, 2012 at 9:06 AM

Come on chaps, I’m as biased as the rest of you, but look at Yohans face when he kicks out at the fella!
    I’m concerned about his temperament, if he gets a kick early doors he seems to lose his head and some of his amazing abilitiy…just look at what happened in the QPR game, I was disappointed with that response too!

• geoff777

Jan 30, 2012 at 9:28 AM

Cabaye has a nasty streak.
    Okay if it is controlled, but we’ve seen a few times that he loses control.

He did react and contact was minor.
    But he did react.

I’m liking this lad less and less.

• Eldis R.

Jan 30, 2012 at 9:33 AM

3 games ban for him after the game and after we out of Fa cup? thats silly. Ref didnt do his job good why he didnt give him a yellow card and story ends… But i think he did mean to kick him a lil bit just didnt hit him right. 🙂

• ballerfan2

Jan 30, 2012 at 9:35 AM

If you look at Cabaye’s head he is not looking at El-Abd and can’t know where he is. To ban him surely they would have to be pretty sure he intended to kick him and I can’t see how that would be the case. In any case, no injury was sustained. As the commentator said he could cut himself shaving and would see more blood.

• terencelim

Jan 30, 2012 at 9:38 AM

Rooney could do the same thing or elbow attack Blackburn players but nothing would happen to Manure players.

This is how FA works.

• NothingButNewcastle.com

Jan 30, 2012 at 10:00 AM

Not sure he can have much to complain about really

• bringbackemre

Jan 30, 2012 at 11:40 AM

for what?
    yeah he just kiked a player in the pace

• bringbackemre

Jan 30, 2012 at 11:41 AM

face

• ronaldeano

Jan 30, 2012 at 12:25 PM

El-Abd is quite possibly the ugliest human being I have ever seen

• Jimmy_toons

Jan 31, 2012 at 12:04 AM

So Cabeye gets charged with violent conduct by the FA. Some Billy Nomark is all over him like a rash, and as they are on the ground he’s still all over him. What would anyone do?
    He can’t use his arms to try and get him off, so he uses his legs and feet, as that’s where the clogger is hanging around him, to get him away. If anyone’s played football or any sport and had someone hanging around there legs, it’s a natural reaction to kick out, unless you accept it’s OK to be pushed around.
    Pathetic decision by bungling bureacrats, and as for Adam El-Ald. Well done geezer, you’ve made a name for yourself.
    Wayne Rooney kicking Collocini in the head at London Trafford anyone – and Rooney’s was deliberate.

• Jimmy_toons

Jan 31, 2012 at 12:08 AM

And Cabeye did react? Good. I’m liking him more and more. I like central midfielders who get stuck in and don’t take any cr** from anyone. If he leaves his foot in sometimes then that’s how football is – man’s game.
    I’ve never seen Cabeye go out intentionally to hurt anyone but I think he’s the best central midfielder we’ve had at our club since Gary Speed.
    Think Roy Keane and Patrick Viera