The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

The Next Two Games Are Very, Very Important

10:10 am, Wednesday, February 1st, 2012 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 77 Comments

As far as a center-back coming in last month, Alan Pardew decided to keep his powder dry for the summer transfer window.

Peter Lovenkrands – deserves a start tonight

And we think with all the work that was done in January, Newcastle will be in a good position to bring in some good players over the summer, much like the club did last summer, when we signed some very good players in some very good deals.

January is never a good time to buy players, although sometimes they do become available, and that’s why Newcastle moved so quickly to bring in Papiss Cisse from SC Freiburg.

But it’s back to business tonight, and Newcastle have lost their last two games with a couple of poor performances at Fulham in the league and Brighton in the FA Cup, and tonight the lads visit Blackburn Rovers, who are third bottom of the league.

Liverpool easily beat a woeful Wolves side 3-0 at Molineaux last night,  and move up to 5th place on 38 points, and Newcastle are now in 7th place on 36 points, 6 points above Stoke in 8th position.

Alana Pardew has to get his troops together tonight and Coloccini will start the game,  but we think Yohan Cabaye is likely to get a three match ban this morning from the FA, for his violent conduct charge at Brighton.

This is what the Newcastle manager said today:

“I’m disappointed with the result on Saturday, although I wasn’t disappointed with the performance, and the physical and mental technical stats were as good as we’ve had,”

“The result was wrong and that’s something we’ve got to put right at Blackburn and against Villa. The next two games are very, very important.”

“We’re in such a great position to attack that top six, and that’s what we’ve got to do.”

We would have been more positive about tonight’s game if either Demba Ba or Papiss Cisse were involved,  since we have to wonder where the goals will come from.

It’s up to Shola Ameobi, Leon Best and Peter Lovenkrands to show they can get the job done for Newcastle tonight, and surely Lovenkrands deserves a start tonight in place of Shola Ameobi up front.

Those will probably be the two up front in our team in our Match Preview later today,  and we have a feeling Pardew will start Ryan Taylor on the right wing in place of Ben Arfa, to give Newcastle more defensive cover and more possession for this game.

What do you think?

Tags: Hatem Ben Arfa · Newcastle News · Peter Lovenkrands · Ryan Taylor · Shola Ameobi

77 responses so far ↓

• 1 Indian Magpie // Feb 1, 2012 at 10:11 AM

Apologies for SDA remark

• 2 BOOM BOOM THE 1ST // Feb 1, 2012 at 10:12 AM

f u indian

• 3 Indian Magpie // Feb 1, 2012 at 10:12 AM

Ameobi : Deserves a Bench tonight

• 4 BOOM BOOM THE 1ST // Feb 1, 2012 at 10:13 AM

again f u indian!

• 5 GeordieToon89 // Feb 1, 2012 at 10:15 AM

Indian – will you f u c k off all you do is come on and slate someone, if thats all u want to do then your obviously not a supporter get a grip of yourself man ffs

• 6 roshan MAGPIE // Feb 1, 2012 at 10:15 AM

A asshole
    M moron
    E enemy
    O ogre
    B bastard
    I idiot

• 7 redondo77 // Feb 1, 2012 at 10:15 AM

I just have the feeling that we have big chance of losing this game.

• 8 redondo77 // Feb 1, 2012 at 10:16 AM

@6

hehehe
    that’s just unnecessary.

• 9 sweendog // Feb 1, 2012 at 10:18 AM

anyone know if the demba brothers are playing tonight .. I see them being fired up after senegals exploits. 4-4-2 is the way to go I reckon, would be a tough game as blackburn are fighting hard .. couple of early goals will sort that out.

• 10 sweendog // Feb 1, 2012 at 10:19 AM

Can’t believe we’ve still got Ameobi haters .. hes a geordie loves the Toon .. if he got some decent crosses he would look a hell of alot better, can’t just blame him .. wait till he scores against 5under1and again.

• 11 gorgonzola // Feb 1, 2012 at 10:20 AM

I think Loven should have had a chance way back he has been playing pretty well in the cup…..the little I have seen him hell he can finish better than Best as of late…nevermind the other one…

• 12 BOOM BOOM THE 1ST // Feb 1, 2012 at 10:20 AM

roshan and indian = the same big arsehole

• 13 richard // Feb 1, 2012 at 10:20 AM

sephir0 that jim white coon commens on you tube i wasnt hearing things. will he get charged

• 14 gorgonzola // Feb 1, 2012 at 10:20 AM

sweendog I love the toon more than Shola I am not even getting payed to love it….does that mean I should play?

• 15 BOOM BOOM THE 1ST // Feb 1, 2012 at 10:21 AM

@ sweendog according to nufc.com they aint back till 2moro night if u click on my name it will take you to the artical

• 16 SurefootedShola // Feb 1, 2012 at 10:22 AM

These next 2 games decide whether we’re competing for 4/5/6 or, simply trying to cling onto 7th, for the remainder of the season. And AP, quit waffling about ‘being in a position to attack’ and just do it, because the last 2 performances have been tentatively pathetic.

• 17 sweendog // Feb 1, 2012 at 10:23 AM

Just read thursday for the demba boys .. damn it .. team for tonight

4-5-1 – Arfa as the withdrawn no. 10 .. hope Cabaye and Guthrie can gel better than last time .. and Ameobi as the striker :-)

• 18 sweendog // Feb 1, 2012 at 10:24 AM

boom boom .. yep just read that .. cheers .. thought they would at least be on the bench ..

• 19 redondo77 // Feb 1, 2012 at 10:24 AM

Shola only lack in stamina. it doesn’t matter how hard he wants to make runs and chase the ball if he doesn’t have the stamina to do it.

• 20 toonashwin // Feb 1, 2012 at 10:24 AM

@jayphoto India has league
    known as i-league
    @toonhero dont cal him india. Its
    my motherland and i feel
    offended by that comment

• 21 roshan MAGPIE // Feb 1, 2012 at 10:24 AM

BOOM BOOM who just talk SHITE all the time

• 22 Colo-Sus // Feb 1, 2012 at 10:25 AM

Personally I think the window has been a great success for us.
    Yes we could do with a backup CB, but is Mariappa really any better than Perch?
    With regards to the summer I dont think this Douglas guy is the answer either.. If you actually look at his videos etc (i know irs only youtube) he is not a great defender!
    I think the best option is and always has benn Pieters! He can play LB or CB and he is a solid defender, just what we need.

For the romantics out there,

We never needed Cissokho and would have been a poor sigining, he has been average over the last two years and Santon is a far better prospect.

Samba was never and will never be an option.

ans Indian STOP BASHING SHOLA!! The world knows hes lazy and apart from one or two games a season, he is generally poor. BUT ITS GETTING SERIOUSLY OLD!

Pieters in the summer for me or Mbiwa are by a distance the best option.

We need a backup for COLO thats the problem, we have two brutes in Saylor and Wilo, Pardew is clearly looking for an intelligent CB as a backup, hence links with Pieters, Mbiwa and even Mariappa, (to a lesser extent).

Lets just get behind the lads tonight WHOEVER PLAYS INDIAN, and go above the car thieves

HWTL

• 23 sweendog // Feb 1, 2012 at 10:25 AM

maybe Megamind(obertan) is back for tonight .. we have missed him for good width on the right .. arfa needs to be central ..

• 24 Toon_Tom // Feb 1, 2012 at 10:27 AM

sweendog – Cabaye won’t be playing as he will receive his ban today!!!!!!!

• 25 redondo77 // Feb 1, 2012 at 10:27 AM

sweendog

you mean Kojak?

• 26 sweendog // Feb 1, 2012 at 10:27 AM

Colo-Sus .. agreed except we need a fast/ball playing CB IMO .. we are playing a high line with slow defenders .. bit suicidal without Tiote covering ..

• 27 sweendog // Feb 1, 2012 at 10:28 AM

Toon_Tom .. we’re contesting it are we not?

redondo77 .. kojak .. thats going back a bit :-)

• 28 Colo-Sus // Feb 1, 2012 at 10:29 AM

Joans should be dropped for me, he has looked pedestrian in the last few games, I play this
    ———————-Krul——————————————
    Simo——-Colo———Wilo————Santon
    ————–Cabay(ia)—–Guthrie——-Vuckic————-
    ————————–Ben Arfa———————————
    ———————Best——–Loverman————————

• 29 Brutooon // Feb 1, 2012 at 10:29 AM

Ameobi is full of shit

AmeoBi is lazy

Ameobi is not even a football player

Ameobi is the clown of world football

Our future is the Dembas not ameobi

Not whining about Ameobi, just describing him !

• 30 Colo-Sus // Feb 1, 2012 at 10:30 AM

Sweendog
    Thats what I am saying, I agree

• 31 ilovetoon8788 // Feb 1, 2012 at 10:31 AM

if both the dembas don’t play. i fear a defeat tonight.

• 32 jayphoto // Feb 1, 2012 at 10:31 AM

Shola to score tonight! He’s due a good game, knowing our luck he’ll bang a hattrick and Pards won’t be able to drop him for cisse on sunday because of it :-)

• 33 leazes upper ( moved to the gallowgate ) // Feb 1, 2012 at 10:31 AM

……………….krul
    simpson willo collo santon
    …….cabaye.gos.guthrie
    …..hba………………..loven
    ……………best

• 34 Colo-Sus // Feb 1, 2012 at 10:31 AM

Brutoon

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

• 35 roshan MAGPIE // Feb 1, 2012 at 10:31 AM

i think boom boom IS a relative of Ameobi ha ha ha

• 36 Toon_Tom // Feb 1, 2012 at 10:32 AM

sweendog – yes we are, but i am not very optimistic tbh!

• 37 sweendog // Feb 1, 2012 at 10:33 AM

Brutooon .. sounds like whining to me .. bambi has his moments but still a very good player on his day .. just not had them recently but its a team game so without decent crosses hes not as potent as he can be ..

• 38 jayphoto // Feb 1, 2012 at 10:34 AM

toonashwin – i meant that 8 week summer competition they’ve signed cannavaro, crespo etc to play in, bit like the IPL cricket tournament!

• 39 sweendog // Feb 1, 2012 at 10:35 AM

Toon_Tom .. still that means he plays tonight but agreed I’m not optimistic only plus point is the player involved has written to the FA to say it wasn’t with intent etc .. so still some chance for him to get off, personally I’m not convinced he didn’t try to get him ..

• 40 jayphoto // Feb 1, 2012 at 10:35 AM

Brutoon man, whats your beef with shola? he turn you down for a date or something? give it a rest boy!

• 41 sirtoongospel // Feb 1, 2012 at 10:36 AM

Looking forward to the game today!!!

Taking my lad again, hope we win or he won’t talk on the drive home!!! lol!!!

• 42 fgb224lbs // Feb 1, 2012 at 10:36 AM

R retarded
    O overbearing
    S shitehawk
    H hating
    A against
    N newcastle

• 43 JP...from The Rock // Feb 1, 2012 at 10:36 AM

Re-Post from last article:

I might get shot for saying this but I was secretly pleased that we signed Perch from Nottingham Forest. The reason being the match we had against them in the Championship I think it was and we had Gutierrez against him on the wing. Gutierrez huffed and puffed but would not get an inch passed by Perch. He really did impress me that game. Therefore when we signed him I was pleased to know we had him on our side and I fondly remembered his quick, decisive tackling to stop every attack down that side.

Unfortunately Perch has never replicated that sort of form in a Newcastle shirt but I am slowly believing in him again after his impressive performance against Brighton. Did anyone see that slick tackle he did against a Brighton player when he was on the counter speeding down the wing? He just came out of nowhere and took the ball cleanly with one swift tackle to win us the ball and make a counter-attack of our own.

This kid I felt had potential to be a good defender for us and now at Brighton he finally showed that for us. I just really hope he plays like that every time he comes on from now on. I still have painful memories of Perch looking like a tit in a NUFC shirt. I think we just have to see him gain more confidence and composure and Perch will come good for us.

I also remember thinking to myself in September that if we didn;t sign a quality striker in January to replace Carroll then I would be certain we would be going nowhere with Ashley at the helm. I am glad he erased that doubt from my mind with the amazing signing of Cisse. I am looking forward to see our full strength team out together as it is a really good one we have now.

HWTL

• 44 Partizan // Feb 1, 2012 at 10:36 AM

I’m trying to remember when was the last time i saw Ameobi doing a sliding tackle,,so far i can’t remember even 1.

• 45 geoff777 // Feb 1, 2012 at 10:36 AM

I think Cabaye will play.

The ban will be suspended until he has had his hearing.
    Having said that he looks tired and depressed.

If Pardew thinks he can pull the wool over Geordie fans eyes by saying the team performance was good on Saturday he dis clueless.

So long as the stats are good … I’d love to see static Ameobi’s stats.
    We didn’t look like we were going to score, that was disappointing.

No more breaks in the sun before important games.
    Keep to the routine and get the job done.
    Millionaires on expenses paid holidays and they come back and play like that!

• 46 sephir0 // Feb 1, 2012 at 10:38 AM

Richard

i thought i was hearing things to at first, but the awkward silence again led me to believe he most definetley said “Coons Park Rangers”

i dunno if he will get charged, slip of the tounge or intentional?

• 47 Colo-Sus // Feb 1, 2012 at 10:38 AM

That new Indian league, will finally give Indian magpie a chance to watch some football. He might even form a half decent opinion on something for once

• 48 neblexa // Feb 1, 2012 at 10:38 AM

Roshan. Stop putting Magpie at the end of your name. Try Roshan C@ckend. Its got a better ring to it. Your a d1ck, stop commenting on nufc websites, your not a fan.

• 49 jayphoto // Feb 1, 2012 at 10:39 AM

JP! Great to see a positive post! I remember Perch in that forrest game, he was immense at right back and we kept jonas and enrique quiet! We all know he isn’t good enough to be in our starting 11, but I like him as a squad player as he can do a solid job at full back, centre half and centre midfield! Gets far too much stick for my liking as he’s a good honest pro!

• 50 roshan MAGPIE // Feb 1, 2012 at 10:39 AM

Raylor / Tavernier——–Colo——Saylor——-Santoon

——————————–Tiote——————————–

Ben Arfa——————Cabaye——————Marveaux

————————–Ba————Cisse———————–

Any suggestions?

• 53 sephir0 // Feb 1, 2012 at 10:40 AM

yeah he definetley does. it’s a difficult one… he’s not exactly speaking fast is he? :/

• 54 toonashwin // Feb 1, 2012 at 10:40 AM

@boom boom and roshan stop fighting each other and get behind lads whoever plays in b&w stripes tonight mate

• 55 jayphoto // Feb 1, 2012 at 10:40 AM

Geoff – they find out about cabayes appeal early this afternoon mate, so he might still be banned!

• 56 fgb224lbs // Feb 1, 2012 at 10:41 AM

Brutooon is a bellend
    Brutooon is boring
    Brutooon is not a real supporter
    Brutooon can kiss my left nut

Our future involves less Brutooon and more real supporters

• 57 Colo-Sus // Feb 1, 2012 at 10:41 AM

The worst thing about Brighton was our tactics.

Regardless of the game being away, we should have gone at them at 10000000000 mph and attacked from the off. We were far too conservative and HBA was utterly ineffectual.

Question….When did HBA put in his best performances for us…..On the left (roaming). Lyon played him there, Marseille played him there. He might not like it but its clearly where he is best suited!

Thoughts or is it just me?

• 58 FloridaToon // Feb 1, 2012 at 10:43 AM

@JP

Thats a decent side. I would like to see a 4-3-3 with Cisse as the center man and ba on the left HBA on the right and IMO replace Marveaux for Jonas (want to see more of him first), but definately a nice lineup.

• 59 roshan MAGPIE // Feb 1, 2012 at 10:43 AM

I LOVE MY CLUB TILL I DIE

• 60 richard // Feb 1, 2012 at 10:44 AM

well white does get over excited. it will be interesting in theese present times.

• 61 Colo-Sus // Feb 1, 2012 at 10:44 AM

JP from the rock:

I agree with that 11 as I think Marveaux is goint o be a quality player when fit.
    Only id still hve Simpson in, over raylor and Tav at RB, but its close.

I think that team looks very good indeed.

• 62 geoff777 // Feb 1, 2012 at 10:44 AM

@jayphoto

Wow that’s fast. Is he having a personal hearing?
    Not great preparation for the game anyway.

Hope he gets off, but they rarely if ever change their verdict.

• 63 lewytoon // Feb 1, 2012 at 10:45 AM

jp @43 totally agree with you

• 64 sirtoongospel // Feb 1, 2012 at 10:45 AM

Everyone knows that Shola, Best, Lover, all will be a distant choice behind our 2 senegalese hero’s.

And rightly so!!!!!!

But why can we not try and support the lads who play until the time comes when they are replaced???

The bashing of players, is boring, not funny, and couldn’t be less productive. Plus, it is spoiling what has always been a decent blog.

• 65 -Tendo- // Feb 1, 2012 at 10:46 AM

While i don’t agree with rosham/indian mackems constant bashing of shola…he has been awful the past few games and lovenkranks should take his place tonight without doubt….

• 66 JP...from The Rock // Feb 1, 2012 at 10:53 AM

Jayphoto – He does make a good squad player and I like the way Pardew is using him late in games for extra cover to hold a lead. I do think he has been intimidated by all the talent around him and lost confidence and that’s why he’s looked so nervous when he’s come on. But slowly I can see him becoming more and more useful if he keeps his Brighton standard up.

I am really pleased none of our players left as I did fear us losing perhaps Krul this January. I was confident that Ba and Tiote would be safe away in the ACN so was not worried on losing them 2. Next January will be the same they are all out in the ACN again so we’ll be safe again :D

It’s a huge blow to lose Marveaux and Saylor for the rest of the season as Saylor is a rock, a leader and a real inspiration to others on the field as his wholehearted displays spreads to the others around him.

Marveaux is just so intelligent, quick and classy that we really lack any creativity in the final third from our LW.

Gutierrez has had a dip in form recently after his wonder goal against Blackburn in the Fa Cup. And Spidermag is more useful as an impact sub or to hold a lead and helping our defence with his incredible defensive work.

When all of our players are back and with my starting line up I seriously believe we can challenge top 6 comfortably.

HWTL!!

• 67 BenArfa-Legend10 // Feb 1, 2012 at 10:54 AM

Stop slagging Ameobi off……if it wasnt for him we wouldnt of drawn with Spurs, he loves the toon give him a break

• 68 ITUNDERASHELL // Feb 1, 2012 at 10:59 AM

Colo-sus, l agree with you on the signings we need in the summer, but l hope we bring in M’biwa and Pieter’s.
    We also need some backup for Ba and Cisse’ and possible another winger if Obertan doesn’t come up to scratch to compete with Marveaux.

• 69 toonarmybarmy // Feb 1, 2012 at 11:01 AM

Cabaye wont be playing tonight people..

• 70 wynsleap // Feb 1, 2012 at 11:11 AM

What’s with all this “lay off Shola – he loves the Toon” stuff?
    We ALL love the Toon that’s why we spend so much of our time on here and at matches.
    Unfortunately WE don’t get paid X amount of thousands of pounds to amble around for 90 minutes, hardly getting out of breath, continually running into offside positions, putting in very little effort to get into good positions, doing a ‘token’ jump against a defender that you accept you are going to lose, and generally looking like a waste of space.
    Oh ..I forgot – he scores a goal now and then against the Mackems. That makes him all right then?
    Less than 50 goals in around 12-13 seasons and you want to back him? No wonder this club has won nowt for dozens of years if you can accept mediocrity like that.

• 71 ballerfan2 // Feb 1, 2012 at 11:15 AM

Ok, here goes. I actually believe Pardew is right when he says we played well at Brighton. We dominated for 80 minutes but lacked the creative spark and finishing to get vital goal. For that we can look at HBA and our 2 strikers, none of whom ever got going. Their goal was a fluke completely against the run of play but of course the result is what is important. Don’t allow that to disguise the fact that we were by far the best team though. Had those 3 players played anything like to their pedigree we would have been out of sight. However, they were all very poor and hopefully that has been addressed for tonight.
    Meanwhile, I watched Perch with interest. He looks pretty quick and has a lot of intelligence as a defender now that he has had the opportunity to settle down in the role. Previously I think maybe he just tried too hard. Anyway I think he compliments the lack of pace of Williamson rather well. Could the “clueless” Pardew have got it right once again?

• 72 wynsleap // Feb 1, 2012 at 11:40 AM

ballerfan2 – You’re right about Perch.
    The lad was excellent against Brighton and gave it his all.
    Surprising how the fans seem disinclined to give him a chance yet faithfully support Shola who gives 10% effort in each game.

• 73 ToonHero // Feb 1, 2012 at 12:16 PM

Team tonight(hopefully)
    . Krul
    . Simpson wilo colo santon
    Benarfa cabaye vukic raylor jonas
    . Lovenkrands
    Doubt it will be the team like :(

• 74 Brutooon // Feb 1, 2012 at 12:59 PM

Come on guys ameobi only score a lucky goal against spurs, other than that he is crap 99% of the time

Ameobi is part of our bad history. He single handed usto the championship

• 75 cupiddstunt // Feb 1, 2012 at 2:57 PM

U bellend
    T bellend
    O bellend
    O bellend
    O bellend
    N bellend

Although I must admit I think the last is the most accurate.

Maybe it’s time we asked Ed to look at the posts of some people on here as they are obviously not supporters of NUFC.

• 76 max // Feb 1, 2012 at 3:09 PM

ameobi is only good as subs..

• 77 jonny_ringo13 // Feb 1, 2012 at 9:18 PM