Mike Williamson – I’ve Raved About Coloccini Enough

This is not the first time that Newcastle center-back Mike Williamson has paid tribute to Newcastle United captain Fabricio Coloccini.

Mike Williamson – sings the praises of Colo again

Ever since Mike arrived at Newcastle two years ago from Portsmouth for £1M (what a deal!),  he has talked about how much he has learned from the 34 times capped Argentine International.

And Fabricio, who turned 30 last month,  seems as good a guy as he is  a player, and we were happy he got the captaincy after Kevin Nolan elected to leave Tyneside for West Ham in the summer.

Coloccini had another great game in Newcastle’s latest stand away from home, this time at Blackburn on Wednesday night, in the fantastic 2-0 win.

Mike Williamson talked again about his captain today:

“ “I’ve raved about him enough.”   I’ve learnt so much from him in training because of his technique and the way he reads things. He’s just an all-round fantastic guy.”

“As a defender it’s good to stay out of the headlines and let the strikers take the plaudits.”  “They’ve been fantastic all season. We’ve got a lot of talent in the group.”

“My conditioning’s getting there all the time.” “The more games I’ve got under my belt, the better I’ve felt.”

“I’ve felt good, which is all credit to the medical and conditioning team, and the rehab I’ve gone through.”

Mike has done well since he came back from that long time out with the ankle injury he picked up at Scunthorpe United last August, and it was only the second half at Fulham, where he really struggled, but he’s been steady enough in the other games.

For the record, Mike has played 58 times for Newcastle but still has to score that first goal, while Colo has played 141 times for Newcastle with 5 goals.

The thing Newcastle need to do and do within a week or two,  is to get the Argentine signed up to a long term deal on Tyneside.

And the news seems to be the club are confident they can do just that, and certainly Colo’s given no signs at all he wants to leave Newcastle.

We should get the good news on Fab’s signing a new deal in a week or so.

• Beattie25

Feb 3, 2012 at 1:36 PM

I come first everytime

• Beattie25

Feb 3, 2012 at 1:36 PM

• Beattie25

Feb 3, 2012 at 1:39 PM

I doubt Colo has raved about Mike Williamson

• MidlandMag85

Feb 3, 2012 at 1:42 PM

Well done Beattie, BIG thumbs up for you 😛

so back to the topic, when you consider the fee paid for williamson i think he is doing a fantastic job for us, how many clean sheets has he had since returning??? anyway i know i’d rather have a good solid english style CB rather than a certain Colo wannabe from down south who cost what . . . .16 million or something insane.

Alongside Coloccini i think williamson can turn into a pretty good defender for us and he seems like a genuine down to earth guy aswell.

• LGFUAD21

Feb 3, 2012 at 1:43 PM

I think the way we have been playing recently we need to take it back to basics at Villa. Play people that play simple football.

Simmi Willo Colo Santon
    Raylor Guthrie Perch Jonas
    Ba Cisse/Ameobi

Cisse is a target guy. We need a player like Raylor to be delivering crosses in.

Perch deserves a start after recent performances.

Then once we have Villa on the back foot. Or worn out a bit we replace Raylor with Obertan or Benny.

• jayphoto

Feb 3, 2012 at 1:45 PM

@slank – they should compliment each other well, Cisse plays advanced, similar to darren bent (different players tho) and offers very little to general team play but is always looking to run in and behind whereas Ba drops deep and drifts to the left! All season we;ve had teams playing a high line against us as our strikers arent quick enough to run in behind, cisse should change that meaning Ba can be closer to goal and we’ll play higher up the pitch!

• SurefootedShola

Feb 3, 2012 at 1:47 PM

AP on Cisse and Ba: “The lads were all impressed by them in training”

AP: “I played with Wright and Bright and it always gives you a lift to have goalscorers like that in the team”

I think he’s leaning towards starting them both 😛

• Lynxie

Feb 3, 2012 at 1:50 PM

beattie:
    Congrats on Gold medal, thumbs up at your early completion, although I am not surpised. Your lass says you come too early all the time 🙂

• gaz 44

Feb 3, 2012 at 1:51 PM

cisse is not a target guy from what i see.. a bent that can finish maybe

• t00ntime

Feb 3, 2012 at 1:53 PM

@beattie (1)
    I bet your wife isnt as happy about that.

• MidlandMag85

Feb 3, 2012 at 1:53 PM

@Lynxie, quality comment mate. ha ha

• AussieToon

Feb 3, 2012 at 2:06 PM

Cisse is a finisher, not a target man.

He will cause opposition some type of hell.

I would play Obertan on the right, Jonas on the left and with Cisse and Ba upfront. That pace will be too much for Astone Villa. Guthrie and Perch in the middle.

Krul
    Simpson Collo Willo Santon
    Obertan Guthrie Perch Jonas
    Ba Cisse

TEAM WHEN FIT

KRUL
    SIMPSON COLLO TAYLOR SANTON
    BEN ARFA TIOTE CABAYE MARVEUX
    BA CISSE

WOW!

• wynsleap

Feb 3, 2012 at 2:08 PM

As I’ve said many times on here, Colo is our most talented, accomplished and valuable performer.
    I couldn’t think of a better captain and ambassadorial, playing figurehead for this club.
    Pardew should be moving heaven and earth to get him signed up again. He is vital to our future.

• WLtoon

Feb 3, 2012 at 2:10 PM

Hey lads,sidetracking from the topic for a minute. How do you start my own blog on here,anyone give me a clue? Cheers

I think Williamson has been a great signing,a no nonsense CB, but i would,nt hesitate to drop him as soon as ST is fit.
    We still need another CB in the summer,i just hope its not as a replacement for Colo..

• geordiegav1987

Feb 3, 2012 at 2:14 PM

many players contracts need sorting out.
    ba has to be a big priority, get rid of that buyout clause and up the lads wages – he’s earnt it.
    And yeah hopefully collo signs a new contract, I didn’t rate him the first season we had him but he has to be one of the most improved players in the premiere league.
    3-1 newcastle
    goalscorers: usual suspect ba to grab two and cameo role goal from cisse.
    villas goal will probably come from kean but then again who cares as long as we win.
    I can’t wait for sunday, demba ba is finally back and we should finally get to see the new demba in a black and white shirt.
    villa must be shitting it if not then they should be.
    I know that two good strikers don’t solve all our problems but if our squad gets as much encouragement and belief in the team as us fan’s do from the return of the dembas then this could be a great match for nufc.
    I’m expecting the whole team to look refreshed – and more like them selves from the beginning of the season.
    but maybe I expect too much with so many of our key players still absent, so I will be happy with a hard faught win like at blackburn (with a huge amount of luck on our side)
    so HWTL.

• WLtoon

Feb 3, 2012 at 2:15 PM

@ 12

That is a cracking team. i would make the one change tho,that would be Jonas instead Ben Arfa. Jonas workrate is essential,he,s been outstanding this season,IMO. i dont think Ben Arfa does enough to command an automatic slot in the team.

• martoon

Feb 3, 2012 at 2:27 PM

I think you have to consider that both the Demba’s have recently played a few matches closed together in the ACN plus two long gruelling flights plus the disappointment of going out the ACN so early. I know they are fit young men but they may be a bit jaded. Also Cisse is probably living out a suitcase in a hotel getting used to life in a strange new town & country. For these reasons I would not expect miracles from them in their first game back.

• MacToon

Feb 3, 2012 at 2:43 PM

@AussieToon

Not sure about your starting 11, has Marveaux played enough epl football to warrant a start over Jonas? Danny Simpson is going to get pretty tired tracking the opposition’s LM and LB! Looks nice though.

• Robby Bobson

Feb 3, 2012 at 3:48 PM

Mike hasnt been the most solid defenders since his return, he is prone to the odd poor clearence or letting his man get away from him here and there.

Think we are much more solid with Taylor in the team, but he’ll do for the moment.

• max

Feb 3, 2012 at 4:02 PM

great… hope no more ameobi as first eleven..

• MidlandMag85

Feb 3, 2012 at 4:42 PM

@Robby Bobson – i think we need to take into consideration how long he was out for, he’s not been back for all that long really, and like i said previously for the fee we paid i think he is playing well above that level, if someone wanted to buy him now he’d be around the 5 million mark i’d say.

i agree in that i’d prefer to see taylor in the team, but saying that he’s prett clumsy himself!!

• MidlandMag85

Feb 3, 2012 at 4:43 PM

pretty*

• True-Geordie123

Feb 3, 2012 at 4:55 PM

I don’t think he’ll be giving a new contract because of his age but I he does get a interact I hop it’s just for 2 or 3 years

• Graeme

Feb 3, 2012 at 9:44 PM

Beattie25 @ 1 – That’s what your girlfriend said as well!!!