Nobody Wants To Leave Newcastle To Go Out On Loan

We’d hazard a guess that some Newcastle fans are having second thoughts about James Perch.

James Perch – in action against Tottenham earlier this season

In the last two games James has been one of Newcastle’s best players,  and he literally changed the game in the second half on Wednesday night at Blackburn Rovers, when he allowed Newcastle to get a grip in central midfield.

It’s something that had been sorely missing in the first half, and given how over-run Newcastle were, it’s just a little  surprising that manager Pardew didn’t make the change even earlier.

But somehow the lads hung on in that first half, and a big thank-you to goalkeeper Tim Krul,  who had another great game in the Newcastle goal and saved a penalty just before the break, but also to Perch who was so solid in that second half.

And indeed James Perch could become  a very important player for Newcastle,  in the remaining 15 games left in the Premier League, when Newcastle have a chance to even qualify for Europe.

And it seems James has no intentions of leaving Tyneside, as he said today:

“I don’t know why you would want to leave here,” “You’d be me mad to leave a team that looks like it’s really going somewhere with the best fans in the country behind you.”

“Why would you want to go somewhere on loan, whether it was true or not? We saw it with Bestie not wanting to go to Celtic, and I don’t see why he would.”

“He’s playing at Newcastle in a good team. It’s exciting times at the moment here.”

And it’s hard to believe now, but there was even talk in the summer that Newcastle may struggle against relegation, because we had lost Joey Barton, Kevin Nolan and Jose Enrique in the summer, but Newcastle are in 5th place in the league right now.

Newcastle lost their four best players last year, including big Andy,  and became a better team because of it – go work that one out.

Perch talked about those predictions:

“The people who talked about that are people you probably won’t see or hear now,”  “We have stuffed that down their throats. We knew that in the dressing room that we had a good team and a good squad.”

“The togetherness of the squad’s unbelievable. This is what happens when you have a good squad and good belief.”  “The fans are in on it too, and they came all the way to Blackburn on a cold Wednesday night.”

“It’s superb, you have to look at them and think ‘fair play, you’ve came a long way to support the boys’.” “We haven’t discussed league positions just yet,”

“We go game by game, and check the league table after it and move on to the next game. I’m sure we’ll look at it closer towards the end of the season to see where we are.”

“Even though we were under pressure at times, we still defended well,” said Perch. “It shows the courage of the lads – they were willing to put bodies in the way.”

“The information was to shore things up, and it was good to get on and be part of the win.”

There’s no doubt that Pardew and his coaching staff and the players have forged a terrific team spirit and winning mentality on Tyneside this season.

And it’s helped by the attitude of fringe players like James, Danny Guthrie, Ryan Taylor, Peter Lovenkrands and Gabby Obertan – and others we haven’t mentioned.

The Aston Villa game on Sunday will not be easy,  but with 52,000 mad screaming Geordies behind you, anything seems possible at St. James’ Park these days.

• Indian Magpie

Feb 3, 2012 at 2:03 PM

GOLD

• tdt

Feb 3, 2012 at 2:06 PM

This is the team I think should start on Sunday:

—————-Krul—————-
    Simpson–Collo–Williamson–Santon
    ———-Gurthie–Perch———–
    Obertan——-HBA———–Jonas
    —————–Ba—————–

IMO Perch has earned a start, as has Obertan. HBA on the otherhand has not been great in last couple of games, however he’s still on his way abck to fitness and form, and should therefore be given more playing time to impress.

This formation could either stay the same or change to a 442 with either Obertan or HBA coming off for Cisse after 65-70 mins.

• Rowan Milsted

Feb 3, 2012 at 2:06 PM

I’d still frown upon starting Perch vs Villa, but I could be proved utterly wrong. I just think that 2 decent games, one coming off the bench and both against Championship or lower Premier League opposition, doesn’t discount all the shaky performances that preceded them. As I said before, I’ll sit on the fence with Perch and wait to see how he comes on as a player, but I’d still definitely hesitate at starting him at CB and would bring him on to sure things up in the latter stages of a game rather than start him. He has done a good job at CDM recently but we invite too much pressure on ourselves at times. My team for this weekend would be:

(4-4-2)

Krul
    Simmo Willo Colo Santon
    Ober Raylor Guthrie Jonas
    Ba Best

Cisse to come on after an hour, HBA for Ober at a similar time, Perch for Raylor with ten to go if we’re winning.

• Rowan Milsted

Feb 3, 2012 at 2:08 PM

Fantastic comments though, he’s certainly endeared himself to me a bit there!

• Indian Magpie

Feb 3, 2012 at 2:09 PM

Paul Merson is a clown, predicting villa to win.

• Indian Magpie

Feb 3, 2012 at 2:09 PM

• Special K

Feb 3, 2012 at 2:12 PM

As much as I believe Perch deserves a start, I think we saw at Blackburn he’s more of the Tiote role than Cabaye’s, an enforcer type who’ll break up attacks but not really look to start them, start with Raylor I’d say.

—————-Krul———-
    Simpson–Collo–Willo–Santon
    HBA—Raylor–Guthrie–Jonas
    ——Ba——Ameobi/Best

To be honest I don’t mind who starts with Ba, realistically it won’t be Cisse and in fairness to Ameobi him and Ba have worked well together but so have Ba & Best, either way they’re coming off after an hour for Cisse so I don’t mind

• Lynxie

Feb 3, 2012 at 2:13 PM

Ed. I see you managed to get the reference in about our former-centre-forward-who-couldnt-hit-a-cows-arse-with-a-banjo’. this is becoming very worrying.
    Do they not have anti stalking laws in the US? 🙂

• Brutooon

Feb 3, 2012 at 2:13 PM

isnt that last season away shirt?

• unclepauly

Feb 3, 2012 at 2:17 PM

sorry ed but i cannot understand why you keep saying perch ‘changed the game’ against blackburn ?? you made an article about this on wednesday.

were you watching the same game i was watching ? blackburn BATTERED us in the second half and if it werent for them being sh!te in front of goal they would have bagged at least one. how we won 2-nil i will never know, my finger nails are gone after that match.

im not saying perch had a bad game – he didnt, he had a good game, but saying he changed the game, no.

does anyone else share my opinion ?

• Brutooon

Feb 3, 2012 at 2:19 PM

perch DIDNT change the game, its the strategy that CHANGE the game.

4-3-3 to a normal 4-4-2 since we are outnumbered at the first half in midfield

BUT james perch did a great job

• jonnyshaw85

Feb 3, 2012 at 2:21 PM

Sorry Ed but Barton didn’t leave in the summer 😉

• Agent Stardust

Feb 3, 2012 at 2:22 PM

I am honestly shocked at people saying anything against Ba and Cisse starting on Sunday.

I am seeing loads of posts about Ba with Best or Ba with Ameobi and stuff about Ameobi and Best doing well etc.

This is utter crap! Just look at those two, they are the worst strikers of any team in the league.

Look at any team thats half decent, their strikers can play football, they can drop back and receive the ball and play the passing game with the team. Best and Ameobi simply cannot do that. They are rubbish.

Are you saying Best or Ameobi is better than out new £10million striker?

I mean wtf? What is going on on this blog? Anyone that posts anything other than Ba and Cisse starting needs to take a long hard look at themself.

Unbelievable.

• jayphoto

Feb 3, 2012 at 2:25 PM

@ agent stardust – agreed mate, we’ve been crying out for a striker all season like cisse, if both are fully fit, both have to play! Cisse isn’t like ben arfa, he’s used to a physical, fast paced game, he should slot straight in!

• PLAN Z

Feb 3, 2012 at 2:25 PM

Perch’s best role is as understudy to Tiote as CDM.
    It won’t have escaped APs notice that he is def not CB material but a reasonably good breaker up of play in the enforcer role. TO be fair to the lad he’s been played out of position a helluvsa lot and tried hard but not always successfully. We need players who can come on and close a game down and if he’s one of them that’s fine by me.

We need good CDM cover as Tiote gets carded so often and Cabaye, Guthrie etc., are more distributors and link play forward.

• Rowan Milsted

Feb 3, 2012 at 2:25 PM

Lynxie

(re previous post)

Indeed, I agree. Personally I’m sick of everything to do with this ‘club’, from the length of our grass to the colour of our shirts. I blame Ed, and all the readers of this blog, myself included. Shame on us. So, I’m off to buy some rope, but not before I grab myself a new kit. I was thinking West Ham, Charlton or Crawley. Which one has the nicest manager..?

• Special K

Feb 3, 2012 at 2:26 PM

@Agent Stardust

No one is suggesting Ameobi/Best are better players than Cisse, but that lad will have trained TWICE with the lads, won’t be on any wavelength whatsoever. Back from an exhausting African Cup of Nations and the only reason I exclude Ba from that is he’s used to the lads and they’re used to him.

The 3-0 over United was Ameobi/Ba

The great run at the start of the season was Best/Ba

It’s not a bloody doomsday scenario for Christs sake.

#muppet

• Brutooon

Feb 3, 2012 at 2:26 PM

Agent Stardust :

I never rate Shola Ameobi EVER (lazy,shit, bla bla bla)

But i do like Leon Best – but for the last 3 matches he struggle because he play with the LAZY striker ever – Shola Ameobi

For Sunday, i do like Demba Ba and Best to start. Keep Papis at the bench, let him look at the english game first then maybe 20-15 mins left we put him.

for me our strikers according to ranks
    1) Demba Ba
    2) Papis Demba Cisse (reason he is given the no 9 shirt)
    3) Leon Best
    4) Lovenkrands
    5) Adam Campbell
    6) Nile Ranger
    105) Shola LAZY Ameobi

• Indian Magpie

Feb 3, 2012 at 2:26 PM

@ agent stardust,

i think all people would like BA and Cisse up front, its just pardew’s negativity that they are putting out

• jonnyshaw85

Feb 3, 2012 at 2:27 PM

Sorry Ed, my about was put in on the assumption you ment pre-season by summer, if not, please accept my apologies!:)

• Rowan Milsted

Feb 3, 2012 at 2:29 PM

Agent Stardust

I’m sure Ba and Cisse are the best we’ve got, but Cisse has never played for us before and often we see managers wanting their new stars to sit back a bit and watch how the team plays first hand before throwing them on the pitch. I think you’ll find that’s why many people are opting for Cisse to start on the bench – not because they prefer Best or Shola to him, but because it’s more realistic.

• t00ntime

Feb 3, 2012 at 2:30 PM

Dont start obertan…. He will be ripped apart and all the fans will hate him again, let him ease in with sum cameos first
    Same team as rowan but hba starts and obertan on as sub 😉 also cisse shud be on earlier cause apparantley there talent is shockingingly good

• Lynxie

Feb 3, 2012 at 2:34 PM

Rowan LOL

I myself once drove through Charlton, and found the one way system very pleasant. The view of the millenium dome is also very aesthetically pleasing, and despite my ‘african sunset’ hair colouring (its NOT ginger) I do look good in a bright red shirt.
    I feel I have no alternativethan to do this, owing to me being a complete and utter pr*ck and not writing more constructive posts, which would have helped newcastle to win the FA cup, Champions league, wimbeldon mixed doubles, and the boat race twice in the last three years.

• Agent Stardust

Feb 3, 2012 at 2:36 PM

see what i mean?

speial K calls me a muppet because cisse should start. you have now proved what you are. what a clueless ****. Donk!

• WLtoon

Feb 3, 2012 at 2:37 PM

The jury is still out for me on Perch.. See how he does on sunday if he plays.

• martoon

Feb 3, 2012 at 2:37 PM

Reposted from last article as Ed posted a new article:-

I think you have to consider that both the Demba’s have recently played a few matches closed together in the ACN plus two long gruelling flights plus the disappointment of going out the ACN so early. I know they are fit young men but they may be a bit jaded. Also Cisse is probably living out a suitcase in a hotel getting used to life in a strange new town & country. For these reasons I would not expect miracles from them in their first game back.

• Lynxie

Feb 3, 2012 at 2:37 PM

I see someone let BruTOOL out of his box.
    Have you got no windows to be licking?
    Change the f*ckin record man, you are becoming unstable. You are nothing but a little bugger.

• Lynxie

Feb 3, 2012 at 2:38 PM

BruTool:
    You are a bugger.

• Lynxie

Feb 3, 2012 at 2:38 PM

BruTool: you are a big bugger.

• Lynxie

Feb 3, 2012 at 2:39 PM

Change the record BruTool, or find some windows to lick.

• Indian Magpie

Feb 3, 2012 at 2:39 PM

MsiDouglas Mark Douglas
    Seems Cisse has been turning new team-mates heads with his finishing ability down at frozen Benton training base. Super sub Saturday? #nufc

• Lynxie

Feb 3, 2012 at 2:39 PM

In fact BruTool, I think you are one of the biggest buggers in the world.

• Lynxie

Feb 3, 2012 at 2:40 PM

Come to think of it, most buggers would agree that you are the most huge bugger the world has ever seen.

• Indian Magpie

Feb 3, 2012 at 2:40 PM

BRUTOON is my favorite blogger

• Lynxie

Feb 3, 2012 at 2:41 PM

Thumbs up if you think that BruTool needs some new material

• Lynxie

Feb 3, 2012 at 2:41 PM

Indian:
    he would be, coz you are a retard as well.

• Special K

Feb 3, 2012 at 2:41 PM

Nah mate I called you a muppet because you clearly have no clue, read all the other comments I’d love Cisse to start but he won’t, as I said in my post he’s trained with the lads twice and you want to throw him straight in, you sit there and slag off Best & Ameobi but of our 39 points so far, both have contributed massively.

Cisse hasn’t, therefore he starts from the bench, from where i’ll imagine he’ll prove his class and become a regular starter in no time. But you didn’t read that, instead you want to trade insults like children.

• xmindcrimex

Feb 3, 2012 at 2:42 PM

Aaahhh. The blog just isn’t the same without Brutooon’s Shola bashing comment of the day. 😉

It was a bit tiring the first 10 months reading them every day (?), but now it’s become a tradition of sorts.

Love the pics of Papiss and Demba training on the nufc.co.uk site btw. 🙂

• Indian Magpie

Feb 3, 2012 at 2:43 PM

39 goals in 10 seasons in BPL
    10 goals in 1 championship season

• hrocks

Feb 3, 2012 at 2:45 PM

cisse will not start.

how can he. our midfield is used to passing to statues so every ball will go to where he was not where he is going to be. Introducing 2 players with movement will cause our midfield to explode.how will they cope with options!!!!!!

give him 20mins on sun and then full game against spuds when hes had a chance to settle

1 2 3 5