Racial Abuse Will Not Affect Shola Ameobi

Newcastle manager Alan Pardew is confident that local striker Shola Ameobi will now be affected at all, by the racial abuse that he has suffered recently.

Alan Pardew with Shola – after he signed his new contract last year

It was sad to hear that Shola Ameobi has been racially abused on the social network,  Facebook, much like his brother was in early November, but in Sammy’s case, the abuse came via Twitter.

It’s a sad commentary on society when we cannot accept each other as equals, and it shows there is still work to be done in football, to eradicate all forms of racial prejudice.

Alan Pardew talked to Sky Sports on Friday about the controversy:

“It’s a two-edged sword. There’s one side of that that you don’t want to see, and it’s insulting and everything that goes with it.”

“But on the other side it highlights the issue that it needs to be eradicated from our society.” “The publicity around Shola won’t affect him; he’s far too big and strong to be affected by that.”

“But it’s good to have it in the public spotlight and to say it’s wrong so young people realise that when they are going on Facebook or social networking sites, that they understand they have a responsibility.”

“Hopefully they can understand it is an issue and a problem and they need to leave it alone.”

And today we see that John Terry has been relieved of the England captaincy,  with his trial on a racially aggravated public order offense against Anton Ferdinand, not taking place until July, and after the European Championships.

Terry is the first top footballer in England to be charged with such a racially aggravated public order offense.

This is what the English Fa sad in their statement today:

“The Board collectively decided it is in the interests of all parties that John has the responsibilities of captaincy removed at this time.”

“This decision has been taken due to the higher profile nature of the England captaincy, on and off the pitch, and the additional demands and requirements expected of the captain leading into and during a tournament.”

“The FA board can confirm that he has not been excluded from the squad.”

The Chelsea defender will remain eligible to play for the national team at the European Championship,  and we should point out that Terry has denied the criminal charge, and did not respond to a request for comment on his dismissal as England captain today.

We think the FA had no other choice, because you cannot have somebody who is awaiting trial for a racially aggravated public order offense, leading out England at the European Championships this summer, when FIFA are so set against racial prejudice of any kind.

It’s the second time John Terry has been removed from the England captaincy.

• phoonck

Feb 3, 2012 at 8:41 PM

somehow i’d like to see this team when everyone’s fit:

4-3-3 formation
    ———————-Krul———————–
    Simpson—S.Taylor—Coloccini—Santon
    —————-Tiote——Cabaye————-
    ——————–Ben Arfa——————-
    ——–Ba————————-Marveaux–
    ———————-Cisse———————-

i think its the best that we can put out when everyone’s fit!
    as for tmr, over to you, Pardew!

HWTL

• Sgt. Heagerty

Feb 3, 2012 at 8:45 PM

Toontime, lol, terrible how you worked on you manifesto for a week to post on this blog and put everybody I’n their place only to have another story pop up right as you post it…. Dreadful luck lol

• Tooooon

Feb 3, 2012 at 8:45 PM

Yes well done Thump; you’re a middle aged man picking typos up in online articles… well if that makes you happy.

• cupiddstunt

Feb 3, 2012 at 8:48 PM

Why are so many on here going on about starting both Demba’s against AV, common sense tells you that Papiss has not trained with the squad sufficiently enough to be on the same wavelength as the squad so could be more of a liability that anything.

Start with Ba and if there is an opportunity to give Papiss a run out later in the game then fine but get a grip and give the lad time to see what he is into.

• Sgt. Heagerty

Feb 3, 2012 at 8:50 PM

Chandler another good young yank that can bring us into American market just came on for nuremburg, good attacking fullback, better attacking then simpson by a mile and about the same defensively full American international and only 19 I think

• cupiddstunt

Feb 3, 2012 at 8:53 PM

Toooooooooon
    Maybe Thump is correct in picking up on typo’s, there are time I find it almost impossible to comprehend what some of the posters on here are trying to say and it is just down to the word choice and spelling.

I regularly have to read a post several times to be able to work out what the poster is getting at.

• Sgt. Heagerty

Feb 3, 2012 at 8:54 PM

Chadler is so good attacking nuremburg have brought him on as a right sided winger

• Sgt. Heagerty

Feb 3, 2012 at 8:55 PM

Chandler Not chandler on my post iPhone killing me

• James_NUFC_92

Feb 3, 2012 at 8:59 PM

Cupid- if a chance falls to Cisse, the chances of that chance becoming a goal are significantly higher than if it went to best or shola .
    Goals win matches.
    If he starts , we are more likely to win .
    Cisse went straight in for QPR and scored on his debut , villa are inconsistent and have conceded 55 percent of there goals in the first half so we should start Cisse and the game may well be over by half time .

• Sgt. Heagerty

Feb 3, 2012 at 9:02 PM

Don’t know if y’all are getting this nuremburg match on tyneside but if you are check out 26 for nuremburg Timmy Chandler, he is a fullback either side but they are down 1 so they brought him on as a winger and he is pure class for being 19, could give simmo a run, replace him if he won’t sign too

• Sgt. Heagerty

Feb 3, 2012 at 9:03 PM

Let me know what y’all think of him

• Thump

Feb 3, 2012 at 9:03 PM

Bugger, was hoping it’d improve his game.

Still missing the point, I notice? And no, not middle aged thank you very much 🙂

• cupiddstunt

Feb 3, 2012 at 9:04 PM

James

Good argument all I can say to that is Cisse has already spent a lot of time in the prem and knows already what to expect.

Papiss on the other hand has not and I understand he is making heads pop up on the training ground so I am very hopeful but i still think a more careful approach is what‘s needed.

• Thump

Feb 3, 2012 at 9:05 PM

@cupidstunt: He’s on about a jovial comment I made last article on the official site mate. He said I was “always pedantic” despite my explaining more or less what you’ve just said.

Ah well, if that’s what makes him happy.

• Toon Tang

Feb 3, 2012 at 9:08 PM

chuffin facebook and twitter are a direct route to the target that wasnt around before. root of all evil if you ask me. back int day, you could only reach people you didnt like by sending them a turd in the post.

even the funs gone out of that now with home delivery prices hiked up to the jiggawatts.

• Thump

Feb 3, 2012 at 9:08 PM

btw, why is it only the Ameobi’s getting this abuse (from our club, I mean)? I don’t think any other Toon player has got any racist shite, have they?

• t00ntime

Feb 3, 2012 at 9:15 PM

Haha sgt heagerty atleast somebody read it 😛 I just dont understand how quick everybody changes there mind 😛

• Level 7 Hero

Feb 3, 2012 at 9:21 PM

@cupiddstunt

I reckon Cisse is capable of start and doing well, just look at Djibrial Cisse at QPR scoring a day after he signed.

But I reckon Pardew will go for Ba and Ameobi to start off.

@Thump

Someone got arrested for racially abusing Sammy Ameobi a couple of weeks ago, and then someone got arrested when Cisse signed for ‘referring in a racist fashion to the number of black players Newcastle currently have’.

On another note, loved Pardews press conferencce today, keep Villla guessing, thats the way.

• krijo

Feb 3, 2012 at 9:22 PM

Møkkamann

• Thump

Feb 3, 2012 at 9:25 PM

Aye I know about Sammy, can’t say I heard about the Cisse incident like. Need a slap either way!

Can’t wait to see the starting line up like.

• Level 7 Hero

Feb 3, 2012 at 9:29 PM

@Thump

Aye sorry after i posted it I noticed you said ‘Ameobi’s’ not ‘Ameobi’. Ayyye errrm… Here’s the Cisse thing… It wasn’t directed at him, but the team as a whole I think…

• Thump

Feb 3, 2012 at 9:36 PM

Haha no bother mate. I don’t see why people feel the need to make these kinds of comments though – what’s the point in it?

That said I’ve never understood racism or bigotry as a whole so maybe I’m not the best person to comment on that

• Tom

Feb 3, 2012 at 9:38 PM

Three years ago Newcastle said goodbye to both Shay Given and Charles N’Zogbia to what they expected to be better futures. However better times have not come their way. One went to a ‘bigger club’ and soon realised the poor choice he had made. The other left to a club going places, but soon saw his chances limited. Both return tomorrow after three years they would rather forget, the truth is they saw their better days in black and white, well and green in Shay’s case. However one will be afforded a fantastic reception whereas the other a poor one. Shay Given gave his all for this team, this club, this city and had to move on, in a way we had to move on. Shay should get a fantastic reception tomorrow as a club hero, N’Zogbia should not. Both moved for seven million pounds but the difference in class makes one look like a free transfer.

• krijo

Feb 3, 2012 at 9:40 PM

@Tom
    Game is on Sunday 😉

• Sgt. Heagerty

Feb 3, 2012 at 9:44 PM

Toontime,

Aye, some of the folks on here are questionable I’n their understanding of football. And some of these people who claim to be toon supporters don’t quite understand what it means to support the toon. You definitely don’t support the toon because of all the silverware we rake In, it’s about the never say die attitude, ita about playing hard for the black and white and spilling your guts for the badge, I mean its about the Geordies. I’m not a geordie Im a yank but I hope to be considered an honarary Geordie because the passion and loyalty of the supporters is what makes the toon special and that’s what drew me to them. Anyways some of these people on here need to remember that and also that is somebody has a bad game doesn’t mean there shite, it means their human, you can’t go from being a world class player to shite I’n a weeks time lol

• Dannyo

Feb 3, 2012 at 9:51 PM

Papiss Cisse: 110 goals in 227 club career games (0.48 p.g)
    Shola Ameobi: 71 goals in 321 club career games (0.22 p.g.)

Reckon there’s a good chance he’ll score some goals 😛

• Sgt. Heagerty

Feb 3, 2012 at 10:00 PM

This rascism has got to go it’s bloody 2012….. I am glad Newcastle have a good mix of players from different countries, color, religion, ethnicity, it makes us a better squad I believe. We hav styles and flair that differ from Player to player due to how football was taught to them and played where they are from and it all blends. I’m proud that Newcastle and it’s supporters get and love their players regardless of race, color, or religion. I did two tours I’n Iraq and when I first came home I fought with alot of anger towards Arabic people and Muslims I’n general. I have since got passed it cuz you can’t hold a whole group of people responsible for the actions of a few idiots. And when demba ba scores and bows to kiss the grass of sjp it heals me more 1 goal at a time. There is no room for racism period. Big ups to Newcastle for not being like other clubs (Liverpool) and refusing to sign players of certain races and religions. And I would also like to apologize if I offended anyone speaking honestly about my problems when I got. Home from Iraq as that was not my intent. I was just speaking honestly about a stupid problem I had to deal with I’n my life that I have corrected I’n hopes that maybe it will inspire someone else who has hate I’n the heart to do the same. Howay the lads… Newcastle for life!!!!

• cupiddstunt

Feb 3, 2012 at 10:01 PM

Bigotry and racism is just an exhibition of ignorance and lack of self esteem.

I understand and accept who and what I am in this world so I do not need to run others down in order to make myself feel better about myself.

Just think back to when you were at school and most of the school bullies were just thicko’s and their bullying was their way of them asserting themselves, to make themselves feel better about their lives.

Bigots and racists are no different emotionally stunted individuals.

• PLAN Z

Feb 3, 2012 at 10:09 PM

@ toontime 57 previous thread

Spot on m8 … Perch as DCM, Obertan last 15 mins or so, HBA needs runners.

Team still finding niches and roles and elevating squad players requires building confidence and knowing where they slot in. It’s taken AP some time and a fair bit of trial and error but he’s moving in the right direction

At last a decent analysis whereas too many posts on this blog miss out on the ‘ysis’ and are just …..

• PLAN Z

Feb 3, 2012 at 10:21 PM

@ SGT H 27

This blog is at its best when you write posts like that from the heart and your hard experience can be passed on to the rest of us. I’m anti militarism (I blame the politicians not the soldiers) and the Middle east wars but we can all learn from what you went through. Let’s hope the Dembas are kissing the hallowed turf of SJP helluva lot every home game.

• Toon Tang

Feb 3, 2012 at 10:23 PM

just been re-watching the stoke away game (and a few of the earlier games) and it brings a tear to me eye just how solid and professional a job we did there. Ba walking off with that match ball at the end was a sight to behold.

it was like watching one one of me kids leaving home when he left for the acon.

• toonfan76

Feb 3, 2012 at 10:26 PM

I was just about to say to Sgt. Heagerty. That post you just wrote sounded to me like it came from the heart of a pure Geordie, Regardless of where you come from, the comment you made touched my pure Geordie heart. Respect.

• elpaso_geordie

Feb 3, 2012 at 10:28 PM

All of you on here wanting Perch in the team make me sick. The lads had dogs abuse for ages , has a half decent half at best at Blackburn bearing in mind we couldnt be worse than the first half. mental and fickle as f.cu.k some of ya.
    Dont get me started with Obertan

• Brutooon

Feb 3, 2012 at 10:52 PM

AMEOBI IS SHIT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Sgt. Heagerty

Feb 3, 2012 at 10:57 PM

Plan z,

Thanks mate that means alot…. I blame politicians as well now that I’m retired and can do so without fear of reprisal. These bums get paid ten times what’s soldiers make and steal ten times more then that. Then they criticize soldiers for mistakes made I’n life threatening split second mOments…. Or they play with our lives like we ate chess pieces. Anyways thanks mate it means alot I love this blog, more so the toon and the toon army. Hwtl

And I hope your right about the dembas kissing the holy grass at sjp many many times. Cheers mate

• Sgt. Heagerty

Feb 3, 2012 at 11:00 PM

Toonfan, thanks brother it did come from the heart and I appreciate it very much. Besides my kids and wife the toon is my heart. I am honored to be considered a Geordie…. Hwtl

• Brutooon

Feb 3, 2012 at 11:02 PM

Dannyo // Feb 3, 2012 at 9:51 PM

Papiss Cisse: 110 goals in 227 club career games (0.48 p.g)
    Shola Ameobi: 71 goals in 321 club career games (0.22 p.g.)

Reckon there’s a good chance he’ll score some goals

– The different between the BEST striker and the WORST striker.

• toonpanda18

Feb 3, 2012 at 11:05 PM

I think everyone thinks we will win every game but the fact is that we are going in the right direction with a transfer strategy plan that i sort of agree with (more money should be spent).
    villa will tough, going for a 2-1 or 3-1 win 🙂

• Sgt. Heagerty

Feb 3, 2012 at 11:07 PM

Elapso,

Are you serious, are you a toon fan…. I can’t understand people who trash are players. I agree that perch shouldn’t start but I do believe he is getting better and deserves a pat on the back and consideration for more time and obertan and mcloven managed to do what Besty and ameiobi couldn’t I’n 2 straight games and that’s score. I don’t believ I’n trashing players unless they aren’t giving a 100 % or they don’t wanna be here. I do believ I’n constructive criticism like saying a player had an off game, but summing up a players career from a couple games or less when he is playing hard and calling Him shite doest sit well with me, especially if he is young like 90% of our team. How some of y’all can be pissed and trashing players, coaching staff etc when we are 5th I’n the league is sickening and disappointing

• Brutooon

Feb 3, 2012 at 11:14 PM

Perch at least is an IMPROVE player

Shola NEVER improve all his 11 seasons. The only time he IMPROVE is his lazziness and shitnesss