Williamson – My Pal Mariappa Really Wanted To Join Newcastle

We hadn’t realised that Mike Williamson is very good friends with Adrian Mariappa  of Watford.

Adrian Mariappa – not coming to Newcastle

We knew that Mike had played with Mariappa at Watford when he was there in 2009 for nine months, before he moved to Portsmouth, but Mike has said he’s disappointed the move didn’t finally materialize, as Watford and Newcastle were unable to agree on a fee.

But it was clear Adrian wanted to join Newcastle, and on the last day of the transfer window he refused to join Wigan, after the Lancashire club had met the asking price for the 25 year-old.

Mike was asked about the move that didn’t happen:

“To be honest, I was disappointed more than anything when it did not materialise,” “Adrian Mariappa is one of my closest friends – we were together at Watford and he really wanted to come here. He turned down the move to Wigan, too.”

“I wasn’t thinking of myself because I think competition is healthy so I spoke to him a few times on deadline day to see what was happening.”

“I don’t think he knew what was going on and in the end I was just disappointed for him on a personal level because I knew how much he wanted to come.”

“But I know Watford are in a position where they are still battling to stay in the Championship. I think they were more concerned about their own survival.”

“Anyone who comes here, it is outside my control. If he had come, I’d have welcomed him and just tried to play the best I can to stay in the side.”

“I’m sure he will get another chance. Adrian is a very good player – very similar to Colo in that he is quick and good on the ball.”

“But I have got the jersey at the minute and that is how I see it. I have just got to train and play hard.”

It’s unlikely now that Mariappa will join Newcastle, as they will go after bigger targets in the summer like Brazilian Douglas at FC Twente, Ajax center-back Jan Vertonghen, Mapou Yanga-Mbiwam of Montpellier and even James Tomkins of West Ham.

And with Steven Taylor returning next season from his Achilles injury,  the competition for places in central defense will be huge – and that’s the way it should be.

We wouldn’t be surprised if Newcastle sign a left footed left-back in the summer, as we only have young Shane Ferguson at the club who plays that position, and is left footed.

The two players who have played left back this season, Ryan Taylor and Davide Santon,  are both right footed.

And it wouldn’t surprise us if Newcastle go after Dutch International left-back Erik Pieters of PSV Eindhoven, since the news is that a number of  officials at Newcastle still like the 23 year-old.

Whatever happens it looks like the summer transfer window will be an exciting time for Newcastle fans – especially if we can qualify for Europe next season.

Comments welcome.

• dutchy

Feb 4, 2012 at 11:08 AM

Suppose as Kadar isn’t getting another contract it’ll be Perch who’s our backup CB, and even though he’s had a couple of good games I still think he can be a liability. Maybe get a CB on loan?

• blissna

Feb 4, 2012 at 11:11 AM

A well worded post as first comment?! I’m proud of this blog right now!

• ilovetoon8788

Feb 4, 2012 at 11:13 AM

based on the previous thread.. i think pardew means Ba and Cisse will not start. But its going to be Best and Ameobi upfront again. Seriously, they both can’t play up top together. Its 1 or the other. And i think Shola upfront alone will spur him to not be lazy.

• dutchy

Feb 4, 2012 at 11:14 AM

I got there as soon as I could blissna

• fgb224lbs

Feb 4, 2012 at 11:20 AM

perch and obertan up front 😉
    think it’ll be shola and best again.
    or ba to start with one of them an cisse to come on for 25 mins or so.
    also it seems everybody within the club is.really keen on mariappa. he Did dam well against spurs too

• sirtoongospel

Feb 4, 2012 at 11:20 AM

Also from previous post, they have played Shola up front and Best out wide left (seemingly with instructions to get up when he can) but it’s too long and too big a gap, Shola can’t hold it that well or for that long. He is totally isolated and is clearly no Shearer. The tactics have made Best and Shola look worse than they are, but they haven’t helped themselves either.

Would much rather see HBA playing just off Shola or best with Obertan on the right, get Jonas back on the left with Guthrie and Perch in the middle.Second half, get our Senegalese legends on!!!!!!!!!

You never know though, Demba might just start the game. I really really hope though that when they are on, HBA isn’t taken off this time, as we would have strikers who’s movement is first rate. Very excited to see Papiss tomorrow. Atmosphere will be good, 3 points would be great going to a tough one next week.

• Tommyy

Feb 4, 2012 at 11:21 AM

Apologies for the repost @ Benton regarding your Villa comment.

Benton – No, no they aren’t. Went to watch them on Wednesday evening to do a bit of recon. Had a slow start but in the second half were very very impressive, midfield and strikers linked up very nicely and they should have won that game by at least 2 goals.
    I’m expecting a tough game with two evenly matched sides, I think it will come down to who wants it more to be honest.
    This will be anything but easy.

• gaz 44

Feb 4, 2012 at 11:27 AM

what i like is on shay returning.. as much as he will always b a hero of mine.. he left a sinking ship the yr we went down and didn’t play for 2year.. now we’ve watered all over his bonfire cos were better than villa

• ToonMauritius

Feb 4, 2012 at 11:30 AM

Hi lads,
    Can anyone confirm why so many match matches have been postponed in Europe?

• Toon1978

Feb 4, 2012 at 11:31 AM

Mariappa would have been a great signing but it wasn’t to be. I hope to god Pardew ain’t silly enough to start with Ameobi and Best up top. They have offered very little if anything over the last few days. Ba and Cisse half fit would be better then Ameobi and Best fully fit lol. I think he will start Ba up front with Best or Lovenkrands alongside him. Would love to see the new boy start though.

• Toon1978

Feb 4, 2012 at 11:32 AM

Last few games lol, not few days.

• roshan MAGPIE

Feb 4, 2012 at 11:45 AM

I am happy to see SHOLA in the bench from now on i am so happy about it yeah yeah yeah

• Tommyy

Feb 4, 2012 at 11:48 AM

Toon Mauritius – The severe cold has frozen many of the pitches.

• Tramp

Feb 4, 2012 at 11:48 AM

“- very similar to Colo in that he is quick”

Ha! I love Collo and he’s not slow, but he’s certainly not quick.

• Toonboy_84

Feb 4, 2012 at 11:56 AM

@ roshan. Shola maybe shit. But not as shit as your posts.

• ToonMauritius

Feb 4, 2012 at 12:00 PM

@ Tommy
    Thks mate, Here it’s summer very hot 30 degree +

• Rotonda heights

Feb 4, 2012 at 12:02 PM

” Adrian is a very good player – very similar to Colo in that he is quick and good on the ball.”

* * * * * * * *

Sadly that’s all the things you aren’t Willo!

At the time I wasn’t too upset we hadn’t got Mariappa, not so sure now.

• fgb224lbs

Feb 4, 2012 at 12:02 PM

@tramp. maybe he meant quick thinking? because yeah Colo is not all that fast

• nightfa11

Feb 4, 2012 at 12:02 PM

i think our best line up is

krul
    simmo saylor colo santon
    cabaye tiote vuckic?
    hba cisse ba

with tiote & cabaye we can easily play with only 3 midfielders, but what we currently lack is a goalscoring midfielder..& i see only vuckic having the potential to score 10+ goals per season.

• jesperfuglsang

Feb 4, 2012 at 12:08 PM

Everybody outside the world beaters wants to join Newcastle.

The pay is so good that you wouldn’t want to leave again 😉 lol

And you don’t have to be the best to command a starting place.

• Tramp

Feb 4, 2012 at 12:09 PM

Ah, that must be it, quick thinking.

Collo’s positioning and reaing of the ganme is second to none! 🙂 Although i am a tad biased…

I love our Collo. He really loves our club. Such a great guy. man crush much!

Mike, give him a new contract! 2 years extension is more than fair!

• hotdog

Feb 4, 2012 at 12:10 PM

#20 Cabaye still suspended mate !

• ochytoon

Feb 4, 2012 at 12:13 PM

Its alright lads, I signed him for us on FIFA

• hotdog

Feb 4, 2012 at 12:14 PM

There was a debate last night on radio newcstle that players run approx 8 mile in a game and that Ben Arfa is not working hard enough. In August i was in the Nou Camp to see the magical messi v madrid in the copa del rey final (Some experience that one 🙂 ) My point is, he does his work in the last third of the pitch which is where we need Ben Arfa to do his work and damage the oppo!

• Rotonda heights

Feb 4, 2012 at 12:15 PM

hotdog

he must mean when everyones is available because he’s got tiote in there as well.

• pbNcl

Feb 4, 2012 at 12:16 PM

By all accounts, Willo is a good solid defender, I think he’s done really well. This is all so exciting for us geordies, because for the first time in a long long time we can actually defend, and defend really well. When perch came on last match I had a little panic but pardew knows the crack, it wasn’t pretty but we got the bloody job done! We wouldn’t of been sayin that under joe kineer hahaha

• Wor Shearer

Feb 4, 2012 at 12:18 PM

Shane Ferguson is a brilliant footballer. It’s beyond me that he hasn’t had more 1st team appearances, especially at times when Jonas hasn’t looked at his best. The boy has fantastic ball control and his crosses are probably the best (or very close to it) in the squad.

I can just imagine him crossing into a Demba infested penalty area…..and POW, goal!

• hotdog

Feb 4, 2012 at 12:21 PM

#26 Aye missed that canny line up but Pardew wont go with that many attackers on the pitch.

• hotdog

Feb 4, 2012 at 12:23 PM

Wor Shearer – Agree kid he reminds me of salty sellars. Seems strange Pardew has not played him more as he gave him a few starts last year.

• sephir0

Feb 4, 2012 at 12:25 PM

Hey lads, mentioned the other day about making a song up involving pardew saying his classic “over the line”….

Came up with this, happy for people to come up with another song or change the words around this is what i came up with off the top of me noggin…

*To tune of Happy Together*

We tried to get one or two, over the line,
    Chosen by our Graham Carr, that would be fine,
    Now we have Cisse & Ba, playin on the Tyne,
    So happy togetheeeeeeeeeeeeeer.

i made it up the other day and i think its quite catchy, needs a bit of tuning but the basis is there lol

• Tramp

Feb 4, 2012 at 12:27 PM

Wor Shearer – Completely agree, of all the youngsters including Sami and even Hairs, Shane was the one that impressed me most a couple years ago.

I think Fergie’s downfall is his size. Beef up a bit lad.

• jesperfuglsang

Feb 4, 2012 at 12:43 PM

@hotdog

Not many in the team runs 10 km in a game – especially not our strike force at the moment.

I like your comment and the point your making. Been saying something like this for ages.

But remember Barca doesn’t play 4-4-2 hoofball with Messi on RW. They play an attractive passing style 4-1-4-1 formation.

The HBA debate of late has been about whether HBA should be made to fit into our 4-4-2 or we should change formation to fit to HBA.

I have said before that this has nothinh to do with HBA; we have plenty of players that doesn’t fit into 4-4-2 and we seem to play people out of position just to keep playing 4-4-2.

We should always strive to utilize our best players the best way possible – and that is not by playing 4-4-2 hoofball with no movement what so ever.

And there is nothing wrong with striving to be Barca; better than being another Stoke 🙂

• hotdog

Feb 4, 2012 at 12:47 PM

#33 Good players fit into any system, i agree you need interchanging and plenty of movement. The only time a formation needs to be solid i.e defend from front, is when you dont have the ball simples!!

• jesperfuglsang

Feb 4, 2012 at 1:46 PM

#34 I don’t think good players necessarily fits into any position, but as we’re seeing Raylor can play LB til some extend, but the consequence is a weaker LB and Jonas has to track back alot.

Perch can play CB, but the consequence is a weaker defense and our CM has safeguard the defense alot more than they are doing.

Best can even play LW in a 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 formation, but his movement is bad and never seems to get in to the box, which make him ineffective 🙂 Guthie can play RW, but we all know how that turned out.

My point is that the difference between long term success and short term success is finding the right tactics the complement the strengths of your players and if you have a player that can be the difference between win or loose, then I know what I would pick 😉

But this is just my humble opinion.

• jesperfuglsang

Feb 4, 2012 at 1:46 PM

position in line one should have been formation 🙂

• max

Feb 4, 2012 at 3:46 PM

AT LEAST KADAR SHOULD BE GIVEN A CHANCE

• Eddiehere

Feb 4, 2012 at 10:06 PM

I am an exiled Geordie living near Watford. My business partner is a Watford season ticket holder and he thinks we are mad for not signing Mariappa. My friend’s judgements are generally pretty sound. He spotted Danny Graham as a great striker ages ago, and look at him now knocking them in for Swansea. AND Danny is a Geordie. What gets me about not signing Mariappa is that it would not have taken that much more money (in premiership terms) to have matched Wigan’s offer. Plus the lad wanted to join us. I acknowledge the financial prudence being adopted by our owner, and I back him in this. Mariappa is definitely worth a flutter however. From what I know down here, we have missed out.

• DxK

Feb 4, 2012 at 10:39 PM

How about Lovenkrands starting up top? Surely he’s fresh and raring to go. Obertan could have a good argument to start as well, although perhaps on the right of mid with Benny and Guthers in the middle.