Coloccini Receives Footballer Of The Year Award

Fabricio Coloccini was presented with the 2011 North East Football Writers’ Footballer of the Year award on Sunday night, following Newcastle’s 2-1 win over Aston Villa.

Fab Coloccini – receiving Footballer of the Year award on Sunday night

Coloccini, who turned 30 last month, was voted  by the region’s press as their footballer of the year and received the trophy at a ceremony at the Ramside Hall Hotel in Durham on Sunday evening.

Cheick Tiote, who is currently on Ivory Coast duty in the African Cup of Nations  – his side will play Mali in Libreville tomorrow night in the semi-finals –  was second in the voting, and Sunderland left-back Phil Bardsley came in third.

Coloccini talked to the Newcastle site yesterday following the award dinner on Sunday evening:

“I was very pleased to receive the award last night, following in the footsteps of such Newcastle greats as Peter Beardsley, Alan Shearer and Shay Given,”

“I would like to thank everyone who voted for me, it really was a great honor for me.”

“Coming on the back of a good win for us against Aston Villa, it made for a tremendous day for me, and I want to share this with my family, teammates, everyone at the Club and the fans.”

The event was postponed from Sunday November 27th, because that was the day when the sad news broke that former Newcastle midfielder Gary Speed was dead and had seemingly committed suicide.

An inquest into Speed’s death on Monday, Janaury 30th ruled that Speed died by hanging but the coroner, Nicholas Rheinberg, also said “the evidence does not sufficiently determine whether this was intentional or accidental”.

And in recording a narrative verdict, which does not apportion any blame, the coroner said Speed may have “nodded off” while sitting with a cable around his neck on the stairs in the garage of his home.

Warm tributes were paid to the 42 year-old former Welsh manager and Newcastle midfielder on Sunday night.

• Ian Magpie

Feb 7, 2012 at 10:37 AM

Well deserved! So now can we get his contrat sorted pleeeeeaaaaase!!!

• Indian Magpie

Feb 7, 2012 at 10:40 AM

congratulations

• Colo-Sus

Feb 7, 2012 at 10:41 AM

Pheonix

I really think we will be in the CL in the next few seasons. From Shleys point of view, he needs this as if we make it in he will start making money. Our gate money will obviously go up and if you couple that with the TV/advertising/ sponsorship revenue that CL football brings, alongside the fact that he almost has us financially self sufficient, He will be quids in …..fair play to him. At the same time I think his youth policy is fantastic as it will mean we have a staedy stream of Quality youngsters coming through, with the addition of probably one or two signings per season, wuith older players being moved on or retiring. Its an excellent plan and one that I think alot of clubs will start to follow.
    Make no mistake CL football is Ashleys aim, with a few cups along the way….and who knows a prem title eventually…Im not getting carried away Im talking our the next few seasons. But Pardews attitude seams to be ”If we are in amongst it, then lets have a right good go at it” and AMEN if you ask me, no point in just settling for top 10 and seeing how it goes!
    Great time to be a toon fan and the Neggars are just a joke, I know i used to be one

HWTL

• roshan MAGPIE

Feb 7, 2012 at 10:41 AM

• Colo-Sus

Feb 7, 2012 at 10:42 AM

Well theres one thing we agree on Indian mate haha

Well doen Colo and well deserved,

Sign him up!!

• tomtoon7

Feb 7, 2012 at 10:43 AM

agreed,captain collo(cudnt of imagined that 3yrs ago) thoroughly deserves new long contract. hopin e stays wid his pal jonas!HWTL

• Indian Magpie

Feb 7, 2012 at 10:44 AM

colo – sus

Great minds

• Colo-Sus

Feb 7, 2012 at 10:48 AM

have any of you read the HBS piece in the chronicle??

I worry for the lad as I really just dont see where he is going to fit in?

Im praying for him to get the message and start putting a totla shift in for the team, because as Pardew says he has immense talent,

• Colo-Sus

Feb 7, 2012 at 10:51 AM

But if we all take off our rose tinted glasses, and are honest,

he gives possession away far tyoo cheaply and does this often (more than obertan)

Now I know HBA is twice the player Obertan is but he is less than reliable.

before I get shouted down, I want to say that I love Benny and want him to succeed more than anything, I just really hope he knuckles down and acts maturely to get back in the team.

HWTL

• tomtoon7

Feb 7, 2012 at 10:51 AM

alright mr.indian magpie not bangin about how good shola is 4a change…shocker! ever been a toon match 2watch ur fav. player?

• ilovetoon8788

Feb 7, 2012 at 10:54 AM

Congrats to colo. well deserved. has been a rock for us at the back.

• Indian Magpie

Feb 7, 2012 at 10:54 AM

No, only on TV

• Colo-Sus

Feb 7, 2012 at 10:55 AM

Tom Toon

FFS! dont start man leave him be, Indian is entitled to air his views on here just as much as you are, just because he doesnt go to games evry week does not mean he is any less a Fan than anybody else on this blog! I dont agree with constant Shola Bashing either and me and Indian have had many disagreements about the toon but its boring now and there are better things to talk about.

Whats everyone think of the HBA article then?

• Lynxie

Feb 7, 2012 at 11:00 AM

TomToon7@ 6:
    What the f* has that got to do with anything? Have you ever been to the Sun? So that means you cant enjoy or love a warm summers day then does it? You sound like those other tools on here that claim you can only be a supporter if you actually go to SJP, despite it being impossible for them, living 8000 miles away. Get a grip man.

• tomtoon7

Feb 7, 2012 at 11:08 AM

ok, well ur TV doesnt lie,but ur persecution is a joke.Time u grew a pair!!! readin ur views makes me laugh.

• Lynxie

Feb 7, 2012 at 11:08 AM

OK then, Tom Toon 7 @ 10:

So, are you going to really enjoy a lovely sunny day this summer, despite never having been to the Sun…? enjoy a pint of lager, despite never having visited the brewery? Get a grip man, and stop spouting the same nonsense that the other sheep on here do. A supporter is a supporter regardless of where he lives.
    For your benefit, take a look at a world atlas, and see if YOU can figure out perhaps why Indians, yanks and Aussies do not go to every home game, in order to be called a true fan….. Muppet.

• eastend toon

Feb 7, 2012 at 11:19 AM

rav, still got those tickets for sat? los_miller@hotmail.com

• tomtoon7

Feb 7, 2012 at 11:19 AM

ok colosus i was only avin a laf.Bit sick myself of shola bashin or indeed magpie bashin..no harm meant,only an early morn opinion. seriously tho worried that we’ll lose ben arfa as e is class but e does seem settled on the Toon,heres hopin!!

• tomtoon7

Feb 7, 2012 at 11:30 AM

lynxie did i speak 2u…NO! as it happens my little was a joke nothin really 2do wid ya ok care bear. the sun is out,i do fancy a nice cold ale,thanx4askin& no one pulls my strings!! so apologises i’ll stick 2toon matters;Worldwide toon matters

• Lynxie

Feb 7, 2012 at 11:40 AM

tomtoon7:
    Thats ll good then, pleased to hear it. ‘Worldwide’ being the key word. I am fckin sick of the fan police on here stating that you have to go to the game every week to be a true supporter, then in the next breath these same ‘true supporters’ are calling for Pardews head and Ashley to be hung drawn and quartered………
    by the way bozo, by posting your views on a public blog, it is my perogative to voice an (opposing if I deem necessary) opinion. Therefore it IS something to do with me. If you ‘no likey’ that, why dont you get a little book and scribble your notes in it in private, then no one can disagree with you……..

• solano

Feb 7, 2012 at 12:02 PM

Colo-Sus…Cups and a Premier League? ..and you call others deluded!
    Self-sufficiency is fine and dandy but it won’t bring the riches and the glory we all crave..