European Qualification Will Still Be Difficult For Newcastle

There’s no doubt that after his performance and goal against Aston Villa in his debut on Sunday afternoon that Papiss Cisse is currently the Toast of the Toon.

The new Newcastle hero thanks fans after Sunday’s win

Newcastle have now won four of their last five league games, and the only real let-down was that second half at Craven Cottage.

But Newcastle are in 5th place in the league, two points ahead of Arsenal and three points ahead of Liverpool,  who could only draw at home to Tottenham last night, and we are just a single point behind Chelsea in 4th place.

Unbelievable.

And Tottenham in London is Newcastle’s next rather difficult game on Saturday afternoon, and if the lads can get anything at all out of that game, it will be a great result for us.

Of course we’ll have the Demba twins up front, and there’s always going to be a chance of Newcastle getting goals when that’s the case.

Not surprisingly Papis Cisse has been interviewed a lot since Sunday, and this is what the 26 year-old told the local press this morning:

“I’ve experienced playing in front of some great crowds in the Bundesliga.” “But nothing quite like this. At my last club Freiburg the fans were incredible.”

“Here the fans have made me feel very welcome very quickly” “I can’t thank them enough for that.” “But the best reward for them would be to help get them into Europe – they deserve it.”

“When the team is winning you always want the next game to come quickly.” “This week I will be getting to know my team-mates a lot better.” “I will be learning every day in training and looking to help us get better.”

“They have already done a great job this season to get into the position they are in. We’re looking to finish the season in the same way.”

“My main aim here is to work as hard as I can. If I do that then the goals will follow. I have to do what I have been doing elsewhere in my career.”

“That way I can be confident that more goals. Coming to Newcastle has been great for me. I just want to get settled at the club and in the area.”

European competition would be great for Newcastle next season, but that will still be difficult to achieve in our final 14 league games of the  season.

It will be very tough test for Newcastle at White Hart Lane on Saturday, and quite honestly we are not expecting to get too much out of this game.

And it’s good that Cisse seems to have settled in very quickly at Newcastle, and the club have a lot of French-speaking players – and that will have helped him a lot.

Indeed we have Ben Arfa, Obertan, Cabaye, Abeid and Ba who speak French, and of course Cisse will soon be taking English lessons, as the language in the dressing room has to be English.

When in England do as the English do.

Upward and onward it has to be from now through the end of the season for the Magpies, and we know the lads will be going all out to get something out of the game at White Hart Lane in the 5:30pm kick off game on Saturday.

And you just never know what may happen when you have two goal-scoring machines up front.

Howay The Lads!!

Comments welcome.

• shearermania

Feb 7, 2012 at 11:38 AM

hba is the best player weve got,,,,its that simple…
    put him on the left and i would love to see jonas on the right where he could actually cross with his right paw…..santon dosnt need that much baby sitting so hba on the left is the way to go and also i think simmo could need a chaperon from time to time….so everyones a winner…
    just imagine the crosses from benny….ohhhhhhh i now i need to go change my pants

• Indian Magpie

Feb 7, 2012 at 11:40 AM

No ed who exactly said that

• JackButler

Feb 7, 2012 at 11:41 AM

shearermania – You’d put HBA ahead of BA, Tiote, Cabaye, Colo, Saylor and Krul???
    All players that have been consistent all season???

• Indian Magpie

Feb 7, 2012 at 11:42 AM

Mark Lawrenson May be

• eastend toon

Feb 7, 2012 at 11:42 AM

rav, still got those tickets for sat? los_miller@hotmail.com

• shearermania

Feb 7, 2012 at 11:43 AM

@ jack butler….definately ….but as a left winger if we have to go 442

• Stuart

Feb 7, 2012 at 11:45 AM

As much as I believe HBA to be a class player you can’t put him above the players JB mentioned as they have been consistantly brilliant all season.

• Indian Magpie

Feb 7, 2012 at 11:46 AM

forget right or left, given JONAS is a shoe – in (any wing), would you have RAylor and obertan over HBA,

I wouldnt

• Raymonator

Feb 7, 2012 at 11:47 AM

14 games to be played. 7 wins, 3 draws, 4 loss thats my bet. In Cisse we trust. Howay The Lads

• norwegianmagpie

Feb 7, 2012 at 11:48 AM

Joan Edmundsson apparently having a trial at norwegian club Viking.
    (Article in norwegian) Basically says he’s a player they’ve watched for a while, and that they want a closer look.

• IrishToon009

Feb 7, 2012 at 11:49 AM

I don’t understand how people can say HBA is our best player when he hasn’t been playing much. And isn’t showing great consistency when he is on

• JackButler

Feb 7, 2012 at 11:54 AM

I see why people want HBA to play more, but after inconsistent performances its down to him to up his game. He is capable of brilliance at times but can easily go missing during games very much like Robert used to, but its down to the player to prove that he deserves a place in the starting line up.
    To put him ahead of players that have consistently put in massive performances is crazy to me and I cant see how he has taken on this almost mythical status

• hotdog

Feb 7, 2012 at 11:54 AM

IrishToon009
    I think fans are saying he has the potential to be the best

• Indian Magpie

Feb 7, 2012 at 11:57 AM

My point other players were given (e.g obertan) consistant long runs in the team, he hasnt been given that

May be injury but i dont think so

HBA was very good against MANchester clubs

• shearermania

Feb 7, 2012 at 11:58 AM

were the entertainers for gods sake..the boy needs to play….

krul

simmo colo willo santon

jonas cabaye/gutrie tiote benny

demba1 demba2

• Indian Magpie

Feb 7, 2012 at 11:58 AM

One of my first and fondest Memories of NUFC

• shearermania

Feb 7, 2012 at 12:00 PM

side note…..
    am i the only one who havent seen santons left foot…everyone was saying he could use both feet equaly good but he never uses his left and every time he comes inside on his right….
    hes a good player but very predictable

• lewytoon

Feb 7, 2012 at 12:01 PM

the thing which worries me what pardew said was
    ‘he isn’t out of the picture,yet’

this to me sounds he has to prove himself if not, bye bye hatem

• Colo-Sus

Feb 7, 2012 at 12:02 PM

Shearmania

I usually agree with you, but you are displaying typical nufc fan attitude here.

We are not the entertainers anymore, thats the past move on.

Benny will play when Pardew,(the guy that coaches/watches him every signle day) deems him ready.

The fact is he has been 80% average 20% brilliant this season and until that balance shifts he warms the bench.

I hope to god he pulls his finger out soon mind as I want to see him playing as much as the next NUFC fan.

• shearermania

Feb 7, 2012 at 12:04 PM

colosus

we both know you’re right……im still stuck in the nineties….cant help it….

• Colo-Sus

Feb 7, 2012 at 12:06 PM

Agree with you baout Santon btw, but a quality player in the making none the less.

I think the wingback formation works tbh

—————————-Krul——————————————
    —————–Sylor—–Colo—-Wilo——————————
    Santon——————-Tiote——————————–Jonas
    —————–Cabaye————Guthrie——————————————————-HBA————————————————————Ba—————–Cisse—————————–

Still with width and crosses and a solid/more solid spine. Saylor replaced by Simmo or perch at right CB for the ime being. We dont lose height.

• AdG87

Feb 7, 2012 at 12:06 PM

Ben Arfa has a “mythical status” purely down to the fact that he was always one of the best players on football manager for years. Therefore people think he is amazing through playing a game! He is a good player with skill but tries to beat his man 3/4 times before passing/shooting (like when he ran the ball out against Brighton) and his distribution in the middle of the park is terrible. He could be a great player I agree he has a lot of skill but I’m fully behind Pardew, he needs to adapt to the league and a player shouldn’t just play due to his status (like players we bought in the past)

People won’t like this statement but I firmly believe that at the minute our best right winger is Ryan Taylor. Can cross the ball, shoot, take free kicks, take corners, defend a bit and also play anywhere in the team quite happily.

• ilovetoon8788

Feb 7, 2012 at 12:08 PM

@Indian Magpie // Feb 7, 2012 at 11:58 AM

i still remember when that Bellamy goal went in. i woke my entire house by screaming at 4am+ in the morning. lol..

its been 10 years. how time flies..

• Colo-Sus

Feb 7, 2012 at 12:09 PM

the above should look like HBA sitting in behind the Dembas, I think this team plays to our strengths in every way, nothing to stop cabaye and HBA drifting wide as there is plenty of cover

SORRY I put Guthrie in by accident just take him out with Tiote and Cabaye Cntral

12men haha

TYPO

• nufc mad man

Feb 7, 2012 at 12:12 PM

if chelea won the champions league would we get in as 5th place or can you only have 4 per country

• ashwin say's

Feb 7, 2012 at 12:14 PM

@sheerarmania
    dont u think
    krul
    santo.wilo.colo.jonas
    tiote
    cabaye.gutrie.hba
    ba. No9
    is more entairtaining

• SurefootedShola

Feb 7, 2012 at 12:16 PM

Well seeing as the ‘pressure is off’ for the Spuds match, maybe AP will be more inclined to try something new?

Jonas____Perch____Guthrie____Ben Arfa(LW)

That midfield would undoubtedly lay on some chances for Cisse and Ba.

• shearermania

Feb 7, 2012 at 12:16 PM

not sure about the 3 in the back…..still remember the stoke game last season….

first of all i think our players are very unadaptable to any system change……when we try to change our average players seems to show their inability…..
    im afraid its a 442 for the time being

• shearermania

Feb 7, 2012 at 12:18 PM

@ashwin

jonas as left back would indeeed be entertaining…remember him as a right back at the world cup and thats was pretty funny

• VanToonMan

Feb 7, 2012 at 12:19 PM

On the subject of HBA guys, take Man Utd for example….how hard working are their wingers..nani and young?…not as hard-working as pardew expects our wingers to be. That is because they have solid fullbacks like evra. The same goes for chelsea..how hard-working are Mata and Sturridge?….My point here is that FOR NOW…HBA should not play because 1) we don’t have our strongest midfielders (tiote and cabaye) back….and 2) Our fullbacks are not completely solid.

When we have Tiote and cabaye back HBA should play. There should be no doubt that our strongest team with this season’s squad players is:

Krul

Simpson Taylor Collo Santon

HBA Tiote Cabaye Marveaux

Ba Cisse

Which is why a top quality LB in the summer like Pieters is VITAL….Then santon moves over to RB and with Pieters at LB our fullbacks are in not in need of such hard-working fullbacks like jonas. I appreciate what jonas does for us but he basically plays like a second fullback….wingers should track back but that is not meant to be their primary goal…it’s what they do creatively which is their main task…and if we require our wingers to be ultra-defensive like jonas is then that tells us something about the ability or lack-of defensively of our fullbacks.

• Wor Shearer

Feb 7, 2012 at 12:19 PM

@nufc mad man

Do teams still get automatic qualification for winning? not sure about that.

• Wor Shearer

Feb 7, 2012 at 12:21 PM

If we can’t fit HBA in the middle, i’d like to see him in front of Santon. I think he (and Pardew) would be more comfortable to attack.

You could also put Jonas in front of Simmo, as I think he’s the weaker of the full backs.

• ilovetoon8788

Feb 7, 2012 at 12:21 PM

@VanToonMan // Feb 7, 2012 at 12:19 PM

Agree with you. If we had better fullbacks we don’t need our wingers to be so hardworking every match. Except against opponents like Bale or another quality winger we can change to players like Jonas for extra cover. If not we should just throw in our wingers to attack and provide for Ba and Cisse.

• shearermania

Feb 7, 2012 at 12:23 PM

@vantoonman

with you on that one….but their whole defense is not as streched as ours which i feel is the difference…
    it seems to me one long ball perfectly weighted and we are in trouble

• Wor Shearer

Feb 7, 2012 at 12:25 PM

@shearermania

“one long ball perfectly weighted” will beat any defence. Phil Jones own goal…..HAhahHAHA

• shearermania

Feb 7, 2012 at 12:27 PM

would i love the samba monster from blackburn….would be perfect….as we dont score enough goals from corners…..besides that hes a fricking monster

• IrishToon009

Feb 7, 2012 at 12:28 PM

Granted HBA probably has the potential to be brilliant but potential shouldn’t win you a starting spot. I trust Pardews opinions of the lad and I’m sure he wants to fit him in, but that may have to wait.

• shearermania

Feb 7, 2012 at 12:29 PM

against the yids i dont think bale is going to be the biggest threat…..Modric needs to be shut down, then we will get a result….and their full backs are not bad either

• IrishToon009

Feb 7, 2012 at 12:29 PM

Oh and I remember that Bellamy goal…I was very ill (was in school) came home certain of a day at home the next day. Mother saw me shouting and jumping after that goal….i was in school the next day

• VanToonMan

Feb 7, 2012 at 12:30 PM

@ilovetoon 32

Exactly….there will be the odd few games where a team has unbelievably dangerous wingers…not many in prem but if we were in europe too maybe more so….but for most of the games…we should not need our wingers to have to double-up all the time and play as second fullbacks.

Fullbacks are primarily there to defend and then support secondary our wingers attacking….and vice versa for our wingers….as I said I appreciate the hard-work Jonas does…but i honestly feel that he is not good enough at the task he is primarily meant to be doing…which is being a creative winger. If we had better fullbacks atm…Jonas would be on the bench because we would not require such level of protection for the fullback