It’s Players Like Danny Guthrie Who Must Stay On Tyneside

The best player for Newcastle on Sunday afternoon against Aston Villa was Danny Guthrie.

Danny Guthrie – proving he’ s very good player for Newcastle

Danny got 47% of the vote for Man of the Match, followed by 17% for Tim Krul and 11% for debut boy and scorer of that wonder goal – Papiss Cisse – and then James Perch is on 9%.

Here are the results so far of out poll which is still open.

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player Against Aston Villa?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

Danny Guthrie and James Perch are second choice for Newcastle when Yohan Cabaye and Cheick Tiote are fit and available, but it tells you how good the two lads are,  when they can come into the side at Blackburn and against Villa and get the job done for Newcastle.

That’s the definition of a good squad players,  which is why we feel that Guthrie has a good career ahead of him at Newcastle, and James Perch is now showing some of the doubters – like myself – that he’s a much better player than we gave him credit for.

And that’s great for James, and would you believe it, he almost scored after 80 minutes on Sunday with a very decent long shot, such is his confidence these days.

Danny is loving life at Newcastle, and he’s getting playing time this season, after getting over an injury filled last two years at the club:

“Playing in the middle of the park isn’t something which has always happened for me here. But it’s where I play my best stuff,”

“I was injured in pre-season, came back, did well and then got injured again. But I got fit again, am playing well and am pretty pleased with how things are going.”

“I knew I would get a chance at some point this season, but obviously I have to stay fit to get that chance which is what I’ve managed to do for large parts of the season.”

“When you come in you’ve got to play well, which I have done as well.” “I’m loving it if I’m honest. Obviously every player is happy when they are playing, and especially because I’m playing well I’m very happy.”

“Long may that continue.” “We’ve got competition all round the squad, from the full-backs to the strikers – it’s not just in midfield.” “There’s competition and that is healthy for the Club. It’s a big factor in where we are.”

“I think you can learn form the players around, and you can learn from anyone you play with, especially if they are from abroad.” “Cheick and Yohan are totally different players, as I am to them, and I would like to think that we all learn from each other.”

“But as for competition, it’s been brilliant. Any of the three of us can slot in and do a good job and that is good for the manager.” “He knows that if anyone is suspended or injured then the player who comes in will be able to fit in seamlessly.”

“With the season we’ve had so far, if we could build on it in the second half of the season then who knows where we could finish.”  “Next year we want to build on it again, and if that happens you would be looking at Europe. The Club looks like it’s going places.”

Good words from Danny and it shows you what a team ethic Alan Pardew and the coaches have managed to instill in the Newcastle squad.

You’ll notice that young Danny doesn’t talk at all about leaving Newcastle, even though his contract runs out in the summer.

But with the performances this lad has put in for the side this season, in the absence of Cheick Tiote, it will be helping him get a good deal on Tyneside, and we’re sure he’s been told the club are putting together a good offer for him.

It’s players like Danny Guthrie who we want to stay on Tyneside, because he’s not just a very good player and a smashing lad, but he’s also epitomizes the team ethic which is Newcastle United  these days.

Long may it continue.

Comments welcome.

• tomtoon7

Feb 7, 2012 at 1:49 PM

agreed ed guthrie is a good young player,senseless losin him.Good competition 4 cabaye cant b a bad thing.The future looks great 4the TOON!

• tomtoon7

Feb 7, 2012 at 1:51 PM

1st! last time i say that i promise lol.HWTL

• JackButler

Feb 7, 2012 at 1:51 PM

Guthrie, Colo and Ba need to be given new deals that tie them down long term if we are to have a hope of building anything, to come so far only to loose three massive players for the club would be suicide

• Wor Shearer

Feb 7, 2012 at 1:52 PM

A top full back and a top winger are the priorities. I think the the other positions can be filled by the youngsters old or new.

• Level 7 Hero

Feb 7, 2012 at 1:52 PM

It would be ridiculous loosing him for free as it would cost 4-6M for a player of similar standard, unless Carr has some cheap players that are even better lined up.

• Level 7 Hero

Feb 7, 2012 at 1:54 PM

With 140,000 per week + of the wage budget at the end of the season, we should be able to enter the free transfer market with quite alot of power.

• geoff777

Feb 7, 2012 at 1:55 PM

I hope Pardew leaves Cabaye on the bench for at least one game.

Guthrie deserves his place.

I hope he gets a good contract.
    It’s also good that most of the team have their best years ahead of them.

HWTL

• Wor Shearer

Feb 7, 2012 at 1:57 PM

I can’t imagine Ashley allowing Ba to leave for whatever the buyout clause is (7m or something? I’ll ask Arry.). So i’m sure he’ll be offered a better contract (without an Arry clause).

• JackButler

Feb 7, 2012 at 1:57 PM

geoff777 – Think it’ll be a case of Perch loosing out with Guthrie and Cabaye starting along side each other if Tiote is not back

• toonincheek

Feb 7, 2012 at 1:58 PM

Top class backup is almost as important as top class players.

Danny has shown he is top class backup and may even improve further and show he is more than that. He has had a relatively short run in the team. We certainly need to keep him.

Much though I’d like to see Danny and Cabaye playing together (with Tiote) they play the same role of midfield general – and you can only have one of those on the field at one time.

That’s why I reckon Ballack never played so well alongside Lampard.
    Or Lampard and Gerrard in the England team, for that matter.

• Colo-Sus

Feb 7, 2012 at 1:58 PM

He is a great pro and a great Squad player.

I think Corgnet has been lined up for the summer mind but if we are in europe we will need another CM.

Summer Ins

Happy days

• VanToonMan

Feb 7, 2012 at 2:03 PM

Agree Colo-sus but would add to the Summer ins:

Douglas at CB,
    Diame at CDM cover for Tiote

In terms of winger…someone like Hoilett or Miralem Suejmani would be an awesome acquisition.

• toonincheek

Feb 7, 2012 at 2:05 PM

There’s probably a down side to this, but how about
    Midfield of Guthrie, Tiote and Cabaye
    Ba and Cisse up front, two pronged attack, often moving wide and dragging the CBs with them.

HBA going through the middle . . . .
    Setting up either striker or Guthrie/Cabaye making a run from midfield.

• jesperfuglsang

Feb 7, 2012 at 2:07 PM

I think AP will try to tie down Guthrie. Hope they can agree on terms.

Perch has been given a chance and everyone should have one so that’s good.

But surely he’s not second choice – but with the gab between out defense and midfield lately he was the only choice (on form).

• JackButler

Feb 7, 2012 at 2:08 PM

Hoilett’s diving theatrics have left a bad taste in my mouth.

Would like to see Victor Moses and Matt Phillips come in myself, two great young players with massive potential and pace to burn

• jesperfuglsang

Feb 7, 2012 at 2:08 PM

out = our

• VanToonMan

Feb 7, 2012 at 2:10 PM

How much do you guys think Ashley would have to splash out for Leighton Baines come the summer window?….he would be a great guy…santon over to RB….HBA and Marveaux on the wings…the spine speaks for itself. That is a starting XI to challenge for top 4!!

• Colo-Sus

Feb 7, 2012 at 2:13 PM

Vantoonman

I agree in a perfect world, but we wont get Pieters and Douglas ihmo

Douglas is free yes and will probs be our number one target for that reason, but if i had to choose Id go Pieters for his versatility, I agreed 100% with your previous post RE more solid full backs, that will allow HBA to play wider.

But all in all that would be perfect window. Hopefully some wonderkids too for the future

• jesperfuglsang

Feb 7, 2012 at 2:13 PM

@VTM

Depending on Everton’s economy, but somewhere between £15-17 mil i would guess.

• jesperfuglsang

Feb 7, 2012 at 2:16 PM

Maybe less 😉

• JackButler

Feb 7, 2012 at 2:19 PM

Santon will be our left back for a long time to come, he prefers the left back role thats why he was referred to have being the new Maldini when he broke into the Inter side

• VanToonMan

Feb 7, 2012 at 2:19 PM

I know it seems a bit of a long-shot…but if we finish top 6…and with everton in the financial state they are in…i think Baines could be bought for around £10mill. If you think Jose Enrique was highly rated after last season and went for £6mill.

And if we got Baines…man that would be quite a coup!

• alec6247toon

Feb 7, 2012 at 2:22 PM

Just going back a few articles about HBA. He hasn’t been particularly consistent this season, but has shown some true flashes of sheer brilliance and class (Blackburn). He is still recovering from the horrific leg break he had, and I don’t think it will be until the end of this season or even next season before we start seeing him back at his best.

I think the thing that a lot of people are forgetting about is how influential he has been in getting the French contingent interested in coming to us. He has been helping out with the transfers of the French players, talking to them about the club/city etc. and I wouldn’t say for definite but Cabaye for one may have been more difficult to sign had it not been for HBA’s influence.

Don’t knock the lad yet, he’s on his way back and is almost having to learn the game again after a year out. He is still supremely talented, and will be a massive player for us going into the future. I just pray the Pardew gives him the chance he deserves, but first job for him is proving he deserves that chance in the first team in training.

• jesperfuglsang

Feb 7, 2012 at 2:24 PM

Personally I wouldn’t mind switching Santon to RB and go for a new LB 🙂

On the other hand he could stay at LB and we could go for a new RB.

The thing is Baines is probably too expensive and we could get make two Pieters or Aly Cissokho for the prize of one Baines 🙂

• jesperfuglsang

Feb 7, 2012 at 2:28 PM

make = maybe

• ParisToon

Feb 7, 2012 at 2:29 PM

Don’t forget this little gem, Mapou YANGA-MBIWA highly rated by almost everyone I talk to and could be a snip at 2-3 mill

• VanToonMan

Feb 7, 2012 at 2:30 PM

Im quite surprised none of the big boys have come in for Baines. I mean Liverpool or Man City could have easily bought him and I think his overall play is better than Clichys. With everton in the financial state they are in there must be something behind that. Either they have slapped too hefty a price tag on him or he is committed to everton.

• poolytoon

Feb 7, 2012 at 2:35 PM

They should buy Mbiwa he plays right back and centre back

• jesperfuglsang

Feb 7, 2012 at 2:36 PM

Baines is a very good LB; I even have him in my Fantasy Team 😉 lol

• lewytoon

Feb 7, 2012 at 2:37 PM

ive noticed on the new poll about the most improved player doesnt have perch!

• VanToonMan

Feb 7, 2012 at 2:37 PM

By the way did any of you guys see Gary Neville’s suggested England XI for Euro 2012 on Monday night football last night?…I actually completely agreed with his team….his reasoning is that we should throw the talented youngsters into it which will also prepare them well for 2014 world cup.

In case some of you didnt see it, this is what he had…what are your thoughts?

Hart

Walker Jones Smalling Cole

Parker
    Gerrard Wilshere

Sturridge Oxlade-Chamberlain

Rooney

• ted

Feb 7, 2012 at 2:43 PM

I hope NUFC put Spurs to the sword on saturday on the TV Spurs arent as good as the media make out the 2 Dembas can get at them and score some great vital goals to keep us in a champions league place then come the summer of change Mr Ashley can make some significant investments in the squad which will put NUFC back up as a football force.

• GeordieGesus

Feb 7, 2012 at 2:54 PM

Ted, I can’t see Ashley making “significant investment” in summer. Just astute investment as normal.

• G

Feb 7, 2012 at 2:58 PM

lewytoon @ 28. See the previous thread mate. Discussed how interesting it would be to see the poll re-run with him in it.

• Mo Drysdale

Feb 7, 2012 at 3:03 PM

Team for Spuds:—————Krul———————————

Santon————-Willo——————-Collo————Jonas

———–Obertan————–Guthrie—————Fergie——-

———————————–Ben Afa——————————

———————Cisse—————————Ba—————–

Attack, Attack, Attack Attack Attack.

One off game worth a go.

Give Spuds defence something to think about. You wont have to worry about Bale because he will be to busy defending.

• wynsleap

Feb 7, 2012 at 3:08 PM

VanToonMan @ 29
    Got to say I couldn’t care less about the usual, boring and overrated ‘ChelManArsPool’ X1 and never have done.
    Always much more excited about the Toon.

• Dannyo

Feb 7, 2012 at 3:15 PM

I remember 90% of us, me included, said “wtf is Guthrie doing on the bench ahead of Gosling, Abeid and Vuckic?”
    We never quite understood that cause most of us thought he was worse than the other 3, and most of all we were looking to Gosling being the closest backup and expected to leave at the end of the season.
    Now 90% of us are screaming for him to sign a new contract.

Quite funny football, isn’t it 😉

• Wor Shearer

Feb 7, 2012 at 3:17 PM

@Dannyo

Shows what a couple of fine performances can do.

It works the other way too, HBA?

• alright on the black and white

Feb 7, 2012 at 3:19 PM

@Vantoon, i’d love to see hart, walker, smalling, jones. Our very own guthrie partnering wilshire in cm with johnson and sturridge on the wings and rooney, welbeck up top. I’d also love to see capello or any future england manager stop showing such disgraceful disdain to the north east and finally come see a game at st james.

• VanToonMan

Feb 7, 2012 at 3:21 PM

I think Oxlade is gonna be a top top talent for Arsenal and hopefully England!

1 2 3 5