Newcastle A Force With Krul In Goal And Demba Boys Up Front

In the poll we’ve been running since late November, Tim Krul is the most improved player at the club this season, with over 3200 votes in.

Tim Krul – Newcastle’s magnificent goalkeeper after Villa win

Tim is on 50% of the vote, with Ryan Taylor on 12% and his name-sake Steven on 11%.

Here’s the poll results so far:

Who Is Newcastle's Most Improved Player This Season?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

And you could see why Tim’s the most improved player at the club this season,  as he must have made at least six good saves on Sunday afternoon, and was only beaten once, just before half time when Robbie Keane scored his third goal for Aston Villa in his short loan spell.

Newcastle have a really tough game on Saturday at Spurs, but Tim says Newcastle are full of confidence after winning four of their last five game in the league:

“Games can’t come quick enough because we’re in such good spirit.” “We were a solid team again – we had to help each other out.”

“It was a huge week last week.” “These games like Villa are the games you have to win.” “Maybe last year we’d have drawn these games.”

“We’ve got the extra quality now on the pitch, and we can grind out results on the pitch.” “It’s amazing. We’ve done it all season. The character from the team has been amazing.”

“Headers, clearances and fantastic goals from the two boys up front.”

“And what a way for our No 9 to show himself in his first game!”  “He did the shirt justice with that goal.”

Papiss Cisse is already a firm favorite with the  fans, and heaven knows how many goals he will score for Newcastle in the final 14 games of the season.

His Senegal team-mate Demba Ba took only 30 minutes after missing the last five games to come back and score his 16th goal of the season, after arriving back from the African Cup of  Nations last week.

Tim Krul could well be the player of the season this season for Newcastle, but of course Demba ba will have a big say in that and if he continues his current goals rate he’ll end up with 27 goals this season, although you cannot take anything for granted.

Newcastle are a good side this season, and with another good transfer season in the summer we could be a force to be reckoned with next season.

We may even be a force to be reckoned with this season, over the last 14 games of the season with the Demba boys up front.

And of course Tim Krul as our last line of defense is one of the best around.

Comments welcome.

• Jan Stavik

Feb 7, 2012 at 1:24 PM

From the day I saw Tim Krul in Palermo, I’ve had faith in him. What a great goalie, and what a great lad.

Too bad we thought Harper was a good goalie, Tim should have been given the jersey earlier on!

• JackButler

Feb 7, 2012 at 1:26 PM

We now have two very hard working strikers who know where the goal is, two top class midfielders in Tiote and Cabaye and two top class centre half’s in Saylor and Colo with one of the best young keepers in world football, thats one hell of a spine to a team 🙂

• G

Feb 7, 2012 at 1:26 PM

Whilst I am in agreement with the Poll stating the fact that TK is the most improved player, it would be interesting to see the poll started again with James Perch in the list of candidates? In terms of outfield play, I cant think of a greater improvement.

• toonincheek

Feb 7, 2012 at 1:30 PM

Yeah, Krul at the back, Dembas up front – let’s just play long ball! Route 1 stuff.

(only kidding)

• VanToonMan

Feb 7, 2012 at 1:33 PM

Totally agree JB…our starting XI spine is sorted. Summer transfer window needs to be focused on top quality on the wings and centre midfield+defense cover.

• WWJBD

Feb 7, 2012 at 1:33 PM

Krul is world class, I’d hand on heart say he is our best player atm. He is a big part of why we went unbeaten at the start of the season imo and he and our back four were the strongest defence.

Kicking needs improving still though but overall I’d have him over any other keeper in the world atm

• toonincheek

Feb 7, 2012 at 1:35 PM

G – fair point, but you have to consider the starting point a bit.

I used to organise classic car concours, including an award for the most improved car.
    One year, a guy turned up with a rusty chassis, on its own, with his mind on the improvement over the next year!

(no discredit intended to Perchino, who has stuck with it and justified APs confidence – when playing in an appropriate position).

• JackButler

Feb 7, 2012 at 1:37 PM

WWJBD

Agree mate, his distribution needs some work, but he has made so many important saves that have won us points this season, people talk about De Gea being young and needing time, how good will Krul become given more time 🙂

• G

Feb 7, 2012 at 1:37 PM

@ post 7. I just thought it would be an interesting, if pointless excercise. When JP arrived, he was a liability, so yes, I suppose the knackered car comparisson, whilst harsh, is fair! I used to audibly groan out loud when I saw JP, now I have a lot of faith in his ability, and he gets my applause. There are other valid points for players who have improved, but I just feel for an outfield player, his is the greatest.

• jesperfuglsang

Feb 7, 2012 at 1:37 PM

We definitely has a up and coming world-class Goalie in Krul.

…and he has definitely kept us in 5th.

• Ameobi No.9

Feb 7, 2012 at 1:41 PM

G // Feb 7, 2012 at 1:26 PM

Is that because you think he has genuinely improved as a player, or the fact that the hate towards James Perch on this blog has died down somewhat? Personally, I have likes the lad since he came, sure he was not top class in his first season, but who actually is? Perch does his best for the team and that is all we can ask for as fans.

In terms of the poll, I am surprised Guthrie is so far down the list, from my own opinion, he was not too great in the championship and I questioned his involvement in the 1st team for a while. but he is pulling the strings in midfield and always seems to create opportunities for everyone. he may not keep out Cabaye/Tiote when they are both back, but he will be giving Pardew a headache or two for the team-sheets.

• Level 7 Hero

Feb 7, 2012 at 1:43 PM

I wouldn’t say Tim Krul is the most improved player… he was already outstanding last season.There’s only been 2 goals he could have done slightly better.

I’d say Perchy or Guthrie… Probs Guthrie for most improved player myself.

I’m desperate for a striker and mostly a winger myself… exciting times. hope the budgets there like without having to sell.

• WWJBD

Feb 7, 2012 at 1:43 PM

JB
    If we keep Krul and he keeps developing at this speed he will be our next Given within a year or two but this time round he will have a half decent back four in front of him….imagine that! We won’t leak goals anymore! Haha

• Colo-Sus

Feb 7, 2012 at 1:43 PM

Tim Krul is outstanding, best keeper in the league in my opinion.

End of

• G

Feb 7, 2012 at 1:44 PM

AN9. Fair point, I think JP has improved as a player, but mainly its his self discipline rather than skill level that has improved significantly. As for Guthrie, I think he is so far down the list because he was already a good player. The only people who judged him bad were those who rated him only when he was deployed as a winger, a role he has never been comfortable with.

• ballerfan2

Feb 7, 2012 at 1:45 PM

Exciting times to be a Toon fan. I am the eternal optimist but I hope that the powers that be will be considering cover for next year’s ACON though. Losing 3 hugely influential players (maybe more 🙂 ) next January/February could seriously derail a potentially great season.

• tomtoon7

Feb 7, 2012 at 1:45 PM

krul defo most improved player,some outstandin perfomances av kept us in tight matches;just like given used 2do.The once apprentice has learnt well!! HWTL

• JackButler

Feb 7, 2012 at 1:45 PM

WWJBD – A Newcastle team that doesn’t leak goals???

Never thought I’d hear anyone say that until this season lol

• WWJBD

Feb 7, 2012 at 1:47 PM

Have to agree with the Guthrie for most improved though gone from worst player on the pitch in a reserve game to someone pushing Cabaye for a start

• WWJBD

Feb 7, 2012 at 1:50 PM

JB
    Haha exactly we have always been a team of “we’ll score one more than u” but now it could be a team of “we’ll just f’ing hammer u”

• alec6247toon

Feb 7, 2012 at 1:51 PM

Just going back a few articles about HBA. He hasn’t been particularly consistent this season, but has shown some true flashes of sheer brilliance and class (Blackburn). He is still recovering from the horrific leg break he had, and I don’t think it will be until the end of this season or even next season before we start seeing him back at his best.

I think the thing that a lot of people are forgetting about is how influential he has been in getting the French contingent interested in coming to us. He has been helping out with the transfers of the French players, talking to them about the club/city etc. and I wouldn’t say for definite but Cabaye for one may have been more difficult to sign had it not been for HBA’s influence.

Don’t knock the lad yet, he’s on his way back and is almost having to learn the game again after a year out. He is still supremely talented, and will be a massive player for us going into the future. I just pray the Pardew gives him the chance he deserves, but first job for him is proving he deserves that chance in the first team in training.

• Wor Shearer

Feb 7, 2012 at 1:52 PM

A top full back and a top winger are the priorities. I think the the other positions can be filled by the youngsters old or new.

• Too Krul

Feb 7, 2012 at 1:54 PM

Again, my mates have been ribbing me for how quality Perch has been. Krul and Ba have been steady all season and I am more than impressed with our bench players and their versatility. Guthrie has been stunning in mid with Perch.

I watched the match on Sunday on Sky, so not a good view of the entire game. However, I was buzzing about Cisse. His work rate and positioning was great!

Cannot wait for spuds – lets hope that dodgy geezer isn’t there for them for our game, as they weren’t that good at all.

• paul_nufc_87

Feb 7, 2012 at 2:21 PM

Krul is just like a young Van Der Sar. Hes quality and the longer we can keep him the better!

• max

Feb 7, 2012 at 4:45 PM

we must keep all our player if want to improve next season

• AndyMac

Feb 7, 2012 at 6:10 PM

Gotta say he was MOTM on Sunday with six saves and two of those were goal saving attempts to get his defenders out of trouble.

For too long we’ve had keepers who stopped shots but didnt do crosses or commanded their area but now Krul is a “once in lifetime” keeper not dissimilar to Schmeichel.

We need world class players at this club if we’re to reach the highest level and there is no doubt that Tim Krul will be Number 1 in the world before he reaches goal keeping maturity.

If it was a toss up between any one of the current top players or Krul leaving this club it would be a no brainer ! So Arry can feck off for starters, thats assuming he’s not banged up by the end of this week 🙂

• AndyMac

Feb 7, 2012 at 6:11 PM

If it was a toss up between any one of the current top players or Krul leaving this club it would be a no brainer ! So Arry can f@@k off for starters, thats assuming he’s not banged up by the end of this week 🙂

• jamie

Feb 8, 2012 at 1:36 AM

Andy mac, it’s hasn’t been that long since we had shay given! Harper only really had a season and a half as no1. As good as krul is I think given still shades it.