Sylvain Marveaux Still Out For A Couple Of Months

For some reason we thought that Sylvain Marveaux would be back in training at the end of this month.

Sylvain Marveaux – still out about two months

This is what 25 year-old Sylvain Marveaux has said on the Newcastle web-site today:

“I’ve been working hard. I’ve been doing strength work for my legs and upper body as well,” “I hope to be fit soon, but there is still a long way to go.”

“Maybe in a couple of months I could be back, but maybe next month I will be able to run again, so that would be a good step.”

“It has been frustrating but I always try to think that there are a lot of worse things in the world – it is just an injury.”

“I am trying to work hard, and maybe I could play before the end of the season – that would be great. I don’t know though, we will see.”

So it seems the Frenchman is still a couple of months form coming back, and he was injured during the Everton game at home on 5th November, Guy Fawkes Day, with a groin injury.

A couple of weeks later Sylvain jetted over to the Steadman Clinic in Vail Colorado, and had an operation on his right hip and groin.

On November 24th last year this is what Alan Pardew said about Sylvain:

“Sylvain has been to America and the op was a success.” “He will be out for three or four months.”

Three months would take us the end of this month so it looks like it will be at least the four months and maybe even longer.

Sylvain was capped 11 times at the French U21 level and scored 4 goals and he has so far appeared 9 times for the Newcastle first team and has 3 assists.

One of the assists was when he beautifully set up Yohan Cabaye for Cabaye’s first ever Newcastle goal,  that got us the 1-0 win against Wigan at St. James’ Park on 22nd October.

Sylvain has shown he is a decent player and with more game sin the premier league we expect he will keep improving.

It will be good to get the lad back but it seems it will not be until late march or sometime in April.

However, it will be good if Marveaux can get in the groove again for Newcastle before the end of the season, after he missed six months of last season with a groin injury, while he was at French club Rennes for whom he appeared 118 times with 20 goals and 16 assists.

Marveaux arrived on Tyneside as a free agent on June 18th, after Newcastle signed him from under the noses of Liverpool.

Sylvain can become a good player at Newcastle, but he needs the games to get used to the physical nature of England’s Premier League.

• Wor Shearer

Feb 7, 2012 at 7:14 PM

Can ppl stop referring to Santon as a RB, he’s not and he won’t be next season either.

He’s always played LB and it’s where he’s most comfortable. I know it seems to blow some peoples minds that a right footed player could be a natural LB, but there you go. Maldini did it and Santon’s doing it.

So stop talking about needing a LB, it’s the other side that needs covering.

Sorry about that, but there are some really ‘special’ people commenting on here.

(repost, just to make sure! 😉 )

• Dannyo

Feb 7, 2012 at 7:15 PM

Meh, Marveux said he’d start running in Febuary when he was interviewed at Tenerife.
    Not healing quickly enough then imo…

• mattyNUFC

Feb 7, 2012 at 7:18 PM

shame

he always looked the most composed player on the pitch the few times he played. hopefully he can stay fit

• Wor Shearer

Feb 7, 2012 at 7:18 PM

Marv’ll be another one for next season. He looked very promising at the start of the year, good for competition within the squad in any case.

• JamesP32

Feb 7, 2012 at 7:25 PM

Oh… I almost forgot about him :S

• Bucks mag

Feb 7, 2012 at 7:29 PM

Bit annoyed with this to be honest, a handful of appearances does not justify the wages he’s getting. There’s bad luck, like with HBA over the summer when he did his ankle, and then there’s being injury prone. Liverpool may have been right to turn him down on medical grounds

• SurefootedShola

Feb 7, 2012 at 7:30 PM

Has anyone seen this yet, had me in stitches…..

• Level 7 Hero

Feb 7, 2012 at 7:32 PM

@WorShearer

He equally adept at playing on either flank, if more so the right, so I think people can talk about that if they wish.

• santoooooooooon

Feb 7, 2012 at 7:32 PM

@1

santon is a LB i accept but i reckon either him or jonas need to be switched to the right (preferably jonas), so HBA/left footer can cross the ball it with their favoured foot…
    my team for spurs would be….

Krul
    Simpson Willo Colo Santon
    Jonas Guthrie Perch Ben Arfa
    Cisse Ba

OMG i nearly creamed my pants at that haha imagine our left side ripping opposition up, and our right side would be much harder to break down… (still got our first choice CMs back soon 😉 )

• WWJBD

Feb 7, 2012 at 7:33 PM

Bucks mag
    Does the same not apply to Saylor then? Lad is always on the injury table.

• Gateshead_Geordie

Feb 7, 2012 at 7:35 PM

Dont click on that link if you are epileptic lol

• davybtoon

Feb 7, 2012 at 7:35 PM

this santon thing still going on lol santon is a right back if u ask him were he wants to play he wud say right back, hes jus that good that he is good at left back long term we will sign a petiers or cissohko n see santon moved across with tavernier backing him up n dummitt will end up backing up the left back

• Magpies-till-d3ath

Feb 7, 2012 at 7:35 PM

Off topi. But I really can’t wait for the boos Suarez(the racist) will get from ma ure fans!

• GeordieDan

Feb 7, 2012 at 7:36 PM

SurteFootedShola>

Well done dickhead, you just woke my 2 year old up! :/

That gag is older than me anyway-your supposed to complete the tiny maze so your face is right up to the screen when the face pops up.

Genius pal.

• Grafton83

Feb 7, 2012 at 7:36 PM

I said we bought him he is very injury prone, not because of his failed medical at Liverpool. Just by looking at his injury history, he’s made of glass. At least we got him for nothing. Shame as he could have been v.good

• Level 7 Hero

Feb 7, 2012 at 7:37 PM

@Davytoon

I agree. I’d hate to be 20, and have to play my whole career at a club in a position that wasn’t my favourite. (Hopefully here for 10+ years at the club).

• AshSays

Feb 7, 2012 at 7:39 PM

This is what I’d like to see on Saturday
    Krul
    Simpson will collo santon
    Obertan perch guthrie guti
    HBA
    Ba
    We need a strong midfield against spurs and they will attack
    so hba should get enough space to work his magic.

• magicmac

Feb 7, 2012 at 7:41 PM

Marvaux did look like a really good player, but i have to agree with Bucks Mag, liverpool might have made the correct decesion to turn him down on madicial grounds, as i think he might just be injury prone, i hope iam wrong, but my honest feeling is he might be another Michael Owen, more times on the treatment table than on the pitch, only time will tell. Howay the lads.

• santoooooooooon

Feb 7, 2012 at 7:42 PM

@davy

dunno where his preffered side is like, ill take your word though…

he must be good at rb then haha 🙂

pards is doing the right thing imo as him and simpson are the best full backs we have atm

• WWJBD

Feb 7, 2012 at 7:44 PM

Can I have a link to where Santon said he wants to play RB?

• Offkey

Feb 7, 2012 at 7:45 PM

Wor Shearer – I read an interview where Santon stated he preferred RB………

• Ben_W

Feb 7, 2012 at 7:45 PM

I really like marveaux. I know he’s been injured a bit, but people were saying we shouldn’t have got Ba due to his knee, and look what he’s done. Watched Marv a lot at Rennes and I think he’s what we’re lacking now. He’s good at getting balls in, he’s good at cutting in and seeing runs of other players etc. Hopefully he can play a few games this season, train well in pre-season and start again next season and break into the first team.

• Offkey

Feb 7, 2012 at 7:46 PM

whoops, I presume someone said that already…….

• Ben_W

Feb 7, 2012 at 7:51 PM

@ AshSays – no Cisse then? I like HBA as much as the next man but the last thing we need against Tottenham is HBA losing the ball every time he gets it!

• Toon Tang

Feb 7, 2012 at 7:56 PM

i hope our marv aint gunna be another dyer, he used to piss me right off injury-wise. i watched the forest game again yesterday and marv was sheer quality, just a shame it looks like hes so injury prone.

keiron dyers saving grace was that when he WAS fit he would always deliver… even to bowyers chin

• paul_nufc_87

Feb 7, 2012 at 7:57 PM

it was a gamble taking him in the first place but it was one worth taking and fingers crossed he will regain full fitness for next season

• Rotonda heights

Feb 7, 2012 at 7:58 PM

grafton 83

Marveux may have been free but is on 60k a week, so has cost us over a million in wages already. I like him though, he’s just what we need. Marveux and Benny, the 2 dembas and tiote and cabaye and we could be flying.

santon is good at lb, but always looks to check back on to his right all the time.

• boater

Feb 7, 2012 at 7:58 PM

Said it before but the r. winger I’d like to see us try for is Lee from Bolton. Closest thing to solano in the premiership: technical, intelligent, works hard, always finds a teammate and scores goals. Bossed Enrique for pace and intelligence last season. The unsung hero behind Bolton’s successful passing game last season I thought.

• MagpiesFlyHigh

Feb 7, 2012 at 7:59 PM

@level 7 hero – from previous thread

The point is we need a balanced squad so the answer is…..

Neither – look at our goals for and against totals – we need to concede about ten goals less than we have and maybe score 5 more to be a top 4 side. As of where we are now five goals less would have us competing on GD with the teams above us.

Having said that I see Perch as Tiote’s understudy not a CB and as Cheik is going to get suspended on picking up a bunch of yellows sometime we need a suitable backup.

• davybtoon

Feb 7, 2012 at 8:02 PM

• Rotonda heights

Feb 7, 2012 at 8:03 PM

I can’t believe people keep going on about benny losing the ball. How many times does Guti give it away? I’ve lost count as his final ball is 9 times out of 10 to the opposition or he takes on 3 at a time and loses it.

A good amanger will see tha tbenny can play thise through balls to the 2 dembas because they have great movement and awareness as well as work rate. Till now Benny has mostly just had the 2 statues Best and Shola to work with. Benny hasn’t won 5 French league titles for nowt.

• Rotonda heights

Feb 7, 2012 at 8:05 PM

boater

lee is a fabulous player, just hope he can come from that awful injury.

• Premiership Manager

Feb 7, 2012 at 8:08 PM

With Ba and Cisse we can play 4-4-2 but we need a balanced midfield. Obertan has looked dangerous in the last two games and should start against Spurs and I expect to see Perch, Guthrie and Jonas which gives us good attacking options but also a strong line tracking back.

If we can contain Bayle and Modric we’ll do well

• gorgonzola

Feb 7, 2012 at 8:12 PM

“I wish people would stop getting carried away with HBA as he is a luxury we can’t afford if we have any aspirations to get into europe.”

What a pathetic thing to say must say….

But best is to sell HBA then I can see the shortsighted nature of Pardew is definatelly his main problem…

But hey…sell him screw it…I really hope he leaves if this is the attitude with the fans and reading between the lines the manager has no clue how to manage him…would be cool if he ripped us apart sayyyy playing at Spurs or in Europa league somewhere down the line…

Such a disgrace reading comments…..

• mra

Feb 7, 2012 at 8:13 PM

He is the real deal, its to bad he was injured. But mark my words he’ll be one hell of a player for us next year.

• Offkey

Feb 7, 2012 at 8:15 PM

Rotonda – I dont think its about losing the ball. IMO Benny goes missing in matches (although we have not seem him get a decent run and he is returning from injury). Jonas rarely does that.

Thats what I think Pardew is talking about.

• dave m

Feb 7, 2012 at 8:16 PM

you really think Marveaux is on 60K a week?

i’d say half of that at the most. considering we wont give the likes of Collocini much more than that and he is an established player for us.

agree that Ben Arfa has been judged really harshly, in the Chronicle more than anywhere. i think gives our team a danger we dont get from any other player. need to adapt to get him in somehow, but not at the risk of moving from 4-4-2, as we just dont seem to win playing any other way. and got to start ba and cisse.

• Level 7 Hero

Feb 7, 2012 at 8:16 PM

@MagpiesFlyHigh

It very nice to say all the players are equal and they are all contributing to the squad in the same manner.

But how can you think Perch is just as important as Ba?

Perch has played outstanding well, not taking away from him he’s been great, but as you mentioned in the comment on previous thead Perch is just as essential as Cabaye, Ben Arfa, Demba Ba and Cisse… he’s just not.

Once Cabaye and Tiote are back, and if there fit and both CB’s are, he wont play again after that.
    That the harsh reality.

If you see Perch as Tiote’s understudy, why is he as essential as Ba, Cisse and Cabaye.

It’s nice to say its a real team effort, they all contribute, but the facts are there are some that are much more important than others

• gorgonzola

Feb 7, 2012 at 8:17 PM

““Hatem still hasn’t quite grasped, in my opinion, this Premier League. He’s got unbelievable talent, but he’s not used to it.”

Love this comment 🙂 HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAH

As SHola EVER got used to ANY club at ANY level yet you insist on playing him, Guti has had some shockers as of late yet you insist on playing him, Obertan has been absolutely SHOCKING at times ( I highlight the world AT TIMES before you jump on a bandwagon)
    yet you insist on playing him..HBA looses the ball….. He looses the ball.. 😀

Man this just gets better and better…

• WWJBD

Feb 7, 2012 at 8:19 PM

…Some really constructive comments going on here tonight…

1 2 3 7