Papiss Cisse – We Can Go To Spurs With Confidence

Newcastle have a tough game in London on Saturday as they will go up against 3rd placed Tottenham Hotspur, who have 50 points from their 24 league games.

Papiss Cisse scores first goal ever for Newcastle

And Tottenham have only lost one game very early in the season at White Hart Lane,  when Manchester City took them apart 5-1.

But the London side’s top form doesn’t seem to worry new striker Papiss Cisse too much, and the 26 year-old Senegal striker, who opened his account on Sunday with a magnificent first goal for the club,  is looking forward to the game:

I came to the Premier League to be part of big nights like this. That is all I have been thinking of since I signed for the club.

This is one of the best leagues in the world, and to have the opportunity to shine on the big stage is a big thing for any player. We can go there with confidence.

I feel that the club is moving forward each game and I just want to contribute to that.  I was not expecting to start against Aston Villa. But I have always been ready to start.

That is what I have been waiting to do.  You have to respect what Demba has already done this season before I came here.

It is great to get the chance to play alongside him now. Everybody in football and can see what he has done and everybody in Senegal is proud of it.

I know from watching the team in the opening stages that I was impressed by what I saw in the first half.

Demba Ba’s scoring exploits at Newcastle United are being met with pride in Senegal, and we suppose Newcastle United will be one of the favorites, if not the favorite side for Senegalese fans to support from now on – especially when they get the PL games on TV.

And we’ve done research on Papiss and in 215 club appearances he has scored 92 goals, but that did not include his time at his local club, Douanes Dakar, who play in the Senegal Premier League.

If you include his 23 goals in 26 appearances there, then his total club record is 241 appearances and 115 goals scored – and he also has 10 goals in 17 appearances do Senegal.

He certainly seems to be a goal-scorer. 😀

Papiss will start his first game for Newcastle on Saturday, and it will be interesting to see how one week’s full training has sharpened up the Newcastle strike force – although they looked pretty sharp against Aston Villa.

We’ll need both Papiss and Demba to take any chances they may get on Saturday, if Newcastle are to come away with anything from the game.

But of course the longer Newcastle can stay level with Spurs, the better it will be for the lads, and we will also need the defense to have one of their best games.

And we’ll need James Perch and Danny Guthrie to work like Trojans in central  midfield.

And if all of that happens, then Newcastle could even take something out of the game.

Anything seems possible at Newcastle these days – here’s hoping.

Comments welcome.

• lewytoon

Feb 9, 2012 at 1:39 PM

yey

• Toon_Sydney

Feb 9, 2012 at 1:40 PM

We can definitly win this , i dont know why so many people here are so pessimistic stating ‘ we ‘ll be lucky to get a point ‘

• toonincheek

Feb 9, 2012 at 1:41 PM

Go to WHL with confidence?
    You play your best when you know that you are really up against it and may well lose.
    I hope that’s the mentality we adopt.

Confidence that we CAN win, Yes, but not confident that we will.

• lewytoon

Feb 9, 2012 at 1:41 PM

for anyone whos plays ultimate team, cisse is on form already

• roshan MAGPIE

Feb 9, 2012 at 1:42 PM

vuckic will go out on loan to Cardiff i think it will be good for him to get some games under his belt

• cyprus

Feb 9, 2012 at 1:43 PM

Interesting how people instinctively gang up with like-minded bloggers in order to attack others with whom they disagree. Goup-think mentality, the foundation of fascism…

“I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”. Voltaire

• lewytoon

Feb 9, 2012 at 1:44 PM

i think tottenham won’t be at their best as im sure they have a few injuries and without their manager all week they may not be at their sharpest. i hope redknap gets the england job because then he can stop irritating me as spurs manager

• 2_goal_tino

Feb 9, 2012 at 1:46 PM

Fantastic move for him and us I think. Was hoping he’d have got a few more chances with us before the end of the season. But if he can get 10-15 games playing in that league, he’ll come back much better!

• MagpiesFlyHigh

Feb 9, 2012 at 1:56 PM

@Spuggy previous thread

When I used to teach at Rutherford on the West Rd, (long closed down hopefully – crap school) we’d go for a drink Friday lunchtime at Benwell Tower – the pub which eventually became the youth club location where they filmed Byker Grove. We’d often see Beardsley in there leaning against the bar after Friday training and chatting up some bird. Funny that Byker Grove was actually not filmed anywhere near Byker.

• Benry

Feb 9, 2012 at 1:57 PM

‘we will also need the defense to have one of their best games.’

More like we also need Colloccini to carry the defense again…

• Toon Tang

Feb 9, 2012 at 2:02 PM

if we defend like we have been doing we’ll get nailed. the last couple of games have been lucky due to the oppo having shit strikers. they had chances laid on a plate for them , if this happens against spurs and there expensive strike force it will be a different story.

im going for a high scoring draw myself because i reckon our double d strike force will cause them grief but on the same note we need to sort our defending out.

• Jonny

Feb 9, 2012 at 2:09 PM

Make me laugh how Spurs fans think that Mourinho will just quit Madrid now and join the best team in the world Tottenham!?! Madrid are currently on form to win the league and possibly the champions league! why would Mourinho leave now and join anyone let alone Spurs? Mourinho won’t leave Madrid until he wins the league or champions league..

• LewSpi

Feb 9, 2012 at 2:10 PM

Very good move for Vuckic to go out on loan, it’s exactly what he needs, look at the difference with AC between our relegation season and our first season back up.

Abeid just needs to go out now aswell.

• poolytoon

Feb 9, 2012 at 2:14 PM

Are we on ESPN? anyone please

• Kc-Toon

Feb 9, 2012 at 2:16 PM

Guess thats official then, good oportunity for the lad

• Irie-Magpie

Feb 9, 2012 at 2:17 PM

This is good news (Vuckic going on loan), i ‘d guess this is our youth system getting the kick starts, i can see more of this before the close season.

• LewSpi

Feb 9, 2012 at 2:17 PM

It’s a shame it’s only a month in fairness. Should have been the entire season. Would have came back twice the player.

• Barras

Feb 9, 2012 at 2:21 PM

A month loan? Very strange. But I think if he get’s a lot of game time, he’ll come back with high levels of confidence, and I think Pardew won’t think twice about bringing him on more. Or possibly starting him.

• ashwin say's

Feb 9, 2012 at 2:25 PM

@lewspi
    abied and gosling are our only backing in central midfield atm.
    given hba as winger or striker

• toon-hendy

Feb 9, 2012 at 2:25 PM

can you’s not read? it says initial month loan.. meaning it can be extended longer…. best option really! if its working keep him there, if not then at least we can bring him back or try elsewhere.

@LewSpi – I think Abied will go out on loan when Chiek returns because we have lack of cover.

Wouldn’t mind Ferguson going out to a top championship side too.

BTW wish they would loan them out to teams closer so they can get promoted and we can have some quality awaydays!!! Leeds, Hull, Huddersfield, Boro etc

• LewSpi

Feb 9, 2012 at 2:25 PM

Yeah, I guess. He could potentially play in 5 games whilst he is there, they play 6 but he’s cuptied for the league cup.

• cyprus

Feb 9, 2012 at 2:30 PM

1,48: 1

4: x

6,5: 2

Wow, the bookies (average) don’t give us a chance!

• MUTINYbyLEMONS

Feb 9, 2012 at 2:44 PM

Best strike partnership since Les and Shearer. One of the best goal keepers in the league. Had best defence until Taylor got injured. One of the best midfeild pairing in Tiote and Cabaye and capable young players pushing them in Guthrie, Vuckic and Abeid. Stable financially. And ofcourse we are FIFTH in the league and fighting for EUROPE. If we forget about the way he did it, was Mike Ashley right to sack Chris Hughton so he could bring in Alan Pardew? I, for one, certainly think it was the right decision.

• jesperfuglsang

Feb 9, 2012 at 2:57 PM

@Cyprus

Those people I refer to as ‘the lynch mob’ 😉

The Voltaire quote I have used before as well. Sums it up really well if you ask me.

• Wor Shearer

Feb 9, 2012 at 3:01 PM

@jesperfuglsang

“Invincibility lies in the defence; the possibility of victory in the attack.”

Sun Tzu

• Wor Shearer

Feb 9, 2012 at 3:01 PM

….he knew his football!

• jesperfuglsang

Feb 9, 2012 at 3:06 PM

Wor Shearer, thats a nice one as well – he definitely knew his football 😉 hehe

• calvinzolamakongo

Feb 9, 2012 at 3:06 PM

See pards prob won’t play cisse and BA on sat as he got asked today if he was excited for their partnership he said well no this game but in the future yes so wat Dya recon big shola and HBA or BA and hba or BA and shola

• G

Feb 9, 2012 at 3:07 PM

MagpiesFlyHigh @ post 9. I went to Rutherford, and it was a lovely school in my days! Actually, can’t say it was. I am now wondereing if you were one of my teachers? Cant remember the names of most of them, although I do remember a ‘John Inman’ type charecter called Mr Lamb, who was as camp as they came, and looked as soft as claggy toffee, then one of the hard lads at school decided to throw a punch at him, only to find out he was hard as a coffin nail! Happy days.

• Irie-Magpie

Feb 9, 2012 at 3:08 PM

Has anyone seeing Birmingham city lately, siting 3rd(better GD) and no doubt will be pushing for automatic promotion, Hoot Hoot!!

• ash-out

Feb 9, 2012 at 3:12 PM

@joppadoni

In response to you ask why I continue touse the name ash-out even though I praise pardew.

That will be because I believe Pardew has prospered despite the limitations enforced by Ashley. Which make the job he does even better.

I still hold Ashley responsible for our relegation and if you think he doesn’t want to sell the club on for a profit and that this his main goal, you are as you would say …duurrrr.
    yet ash-out…. you still use the name ash-out… guurrrr… durr
    58 Doilatoon // Feb 9, 2012 at 12:53 PM

Mmmmm,lasagne :):)
    59 Spuggy // Feb 9, 2012 at 12:54 PM

Wibble
    60 Level 7 Hero // Feb 9, 2012 at 12:54 PM

Going against the grain here but has Santon really been that good? I can’t see it myself.

He sooo young and been really really solid, I think that loan move to Cesena done him good like, getting him experience of not being in a team winning 4/5 matches.

No doubt he’s going to be good as Enrique, but at the minute he’s doing ok, not stand out for me.

I’m mean this seriously… when has he actually put in 1 cross from the left flank all season? Try and remember a cross… theres not 1. He always cuts inside then looses the ball (Maybe because he can’t cross on his left foot).

Great potential, but still very raw for me.
    61 Gash // Feb 9, 2012 at 12:55 PM

@jackbutler
    Spot on lad. I think we all had serious misgivings about Pardew at first. But as you say, he has overseen the leaving of 4 “star” players and we haven’t really missed them. More importantly would we even have them back in the side seeing what their replacements have achieved….I think not.
    Slowly slowly and gradually we build on each little success until we are a top 4 team again and players who come here want to come to win things which is what will eventually happen if we keep following this path.
    62 Spuggy // Feb 9, 2012 at 12:55 PM

@ Jopp

Inspite of having nee boobs.
    63 JackButler // Feb 9, 2012 at 12:57 PM

It tickles me that some people are STILL nit-picking when we are have a brilliant season.

These people must have been devastated when we didn’t sell anyone in January to give them something to bleat on about for the rest of the season.

Just enjoy where we are in the league and that for once the long term future looks very good
    64 Spuggy // Feb 9, 2012 at 12:58 PM

Anyone think it’s time for a MA clanger, things are going way too well.

Iron statue of Barton outside the ground?
    65 MagpiesFlyHigh // Feb 9, 2012 at 1:01 PM

@ joppadoni

Agree with most of your posts but
    PLEASE do not use the word ‘flid’.
    I’ve got a friend who was a thalidomide baby. She has tiny malformed arms, is really bright ( has a doctorate) and is one of the most cheerful positive people I know.

Billy and Bob, Bill-son, Brutoon, Matty, Indian etc., may be many ***** things but flid is not one of them.
    66 Wor Shearer // Feb 9, 2012 at 1:02 PM

Never thought Pardew would be able to keep the dressing room together the way Hoots did, but he’s certainly proved me wrong.

I still think he can improve in certain areas, like 1st half tactics and a little with squad selection, but i’m only nitpicking.

Overall I’m very happy with Pards nowadays and hope he stays a while.
    67 billy // Feb 9, 2012 at 1:02 PM

Nice one ted yes simpson is a disaster zone as a defender most people that watch football properly understand how inept the guy is of course you always have the social retards who dont have a clue about football and fool themselves that simpson can defend when he cannot.
    68 toonincheek // Feb 9, 2012 at 1:04 PM

Santon – maybe not quite as good as Enrique was when he left, but Santon will only get better.
    Given a straight choice, I’d already choose Santon.

JackB @30
    Good managers (in any business) get the best out of their staff – that’s their primary role.
    If they do that (and assuming they have good staff, as AP does) then the manager just has to be right in deciding whose advice to follow.
    Wouldn’t matter if he was clueless about tactics, formations etc. (and I’m NOT saying he is!) but he makes the final decision on what to do.

The proof of the puddin’ is our league position.
    At the very least, AP has done that.
    69 JackButler // Feb 9, 2012 at 1:04 PM

Bill and Ted’s excellent adventures in to grumpiness
    70 Wor Shearer // Feb 9, 2012 at 1:10 PM

@billy

I agree in principle but I wouldn’t go as far as saying he’s a disaster. For starters his goal line awareness is only bettered by wor Krul, no outfield player makes goal line clearances like Simmo.

BUT, his tackling is pretty poor and he seems to get beaten a lot for someone with a fair amount of pace, one little trick and you’re past him. Also, he’s far too small to cause an aerial threat (defensively or attacking) , but you’ll tell me that’s not a FB’s job.

I wouldn’t be sad to see him go, imo. But if he was willing to be backup then i’d definitely keep him.
    71 bob // Feb 9, 2012 at 1:15 PM

Dont just single Simpson out what about Williamson the big bulls knacker hes crap as well he gets out muscled out jumped he runs like hes shit hiself ive seen harder tackles going in at the post office on pension day.
    72 ITUNDERASHELL // Feb 9, 2012 at 1:16 PM

Santon will be brilliant for us especially when he is playing in his best position, is it left or right? Once that has been sorted out we can then see if we need a left or right full back to occupy the space he has vacated.
    73 martoon // Feb 9, 2012 at 1:23 PM

Spuggy @36. That was a well thought out post probably one of the best I have read on this blog.
    74 martoon // Feb 9, 2012 at 1:24 PM

Sorry @38
    75 lewytoon // Feb 9, 2012 at 1:36 PM

i think pardew has done really well, considering losing his star player so early in his reign. he has created the french revolution of the league and were sitting happy in 5th, 1 point off 4th place. some people don’t like him? tell me why, im sure if someone said to you we’ll be here at this point of the season, you’d laugh? yeah you would because of how unlikely it seemed, yet he’s done it so i don’t see why people are calling for him to be sacked.

however i am quite dissapointed at 3 cup exits under him so far as i hoped we were to win the f.a cup this year
    76 Spuggy // Feb 9, 2012 at 1:36 PM

Cheers martoon.

WUM @ Billy, ted and bob (aka mackems)
    77 roshan MAGPIE // Feb 9, 2012 at 1:37 PM

it looks like Cardiff will take VUCKICK on loan deal good for the lad really need games under his belt
    78 cyprus // Feb 9, 2012 at 1:43 PM

79 martoon // Feb 9, 2012 at 2:18 PM

Cyprus @78 – Try telling that to the PC brigade.
    80 MUTINYbyLEMONS // Feb 9, 2012 at 2:48 PM

Best strike partnership since Les and Shearer. One of the best goal keepers in the league. Had best defence until Taylor got injured. One of the best midfeild pairing in Tiote and Cabaye and capable young players pushing them in Guthrie, Vuckic and Abeid. Stable financially. And ofcourse we are FIFTH in the league and fighting for EUROPE. If we forget about the way he did it, was Mike Ashley right to sack Chris Hughton so he could bring in Alan Pardew? (yes)

previous post: Mike Ashley In Newcastle To Discuss Transfers And Players’ Contracts

next post: Papiss Cisse – We Can Go To Spurs With Confidence

• tooninspain

Feb 9, 2012 at 3:23 PM

Ash-out……Could you repeat that please?

• boater

Feb 9, 2012 at 3:25 PM

Sat upon my table.. two shiny tickets for the ‘visitor’s section’ this saturday at White hart lane. Not sure I’m going with confidence, but hope springs eternal.

• G

Feb 9, 2012 at 3:30 PM

Is confidence your friend who the 2nd ticket is for Boater?

• GeordieToon89

Feb 9, 2012 at 3:31 PM

Ha just seen Sammy Ameobi at my work picking his parcel up, bless him hes on crutches still, didnt have me phone on me for a picture am gutted 🙁

• t00ntime

Feb 9, 2012 at 3:45 PM

@lewy I play FUT but not happy xD just bought cisse… A day later totw announced… Cisse IF -_-

My ultimate team so far:
    ———krul(IF)———-
    SImpsons-colo-saylor-santon
    ————-tiote—————
    Ben arfa—————jonas(IF)
    ————-cabaye————-
    ——–chamakh—-cisse

Wanted ba (IF) but he is pricey xD o and cabaye is a converted CAM
    Also got beckham on the bench xD

• NotAGhostToon

Feb 9, 2012 at 3:53 PM

Alright t00ntime is that ps3 or xbox? I’m on ps3 and my teams set up similar to that except ba and cisse, with inform krul colo, jonas and cabaye….still wanting an IF striker though but the only person i’d be willing to sacrifice is jonas IF to get one! anyway on the topic of the weekends game before we get abuse…

I think we’ve got a good chance of getting something out of the spurs game but the only thing i think i’d be willing to bet on is similar to the Villa game i’d put on “over 2.5 goals” because i think we’re both gonna score it’ll just be who can edge it. I’m actually down in london on saturday to see a band so fingers crossed we don’t lose!

• MagpiesFlyHigh

Feb 9, 2012 at 3:54 PM

G @ 29

Did a year and a half there 1986-7.
    Geography Geology and History. Always had a love/hate relationship with teaching as I was a bit of a rebel myself.
    By that time it had gone downhill I think as they closed it down after a bad inspection report a year or so later and merged it with Westerhope, but I know it was well thought of at one time.
    I was long gone by then.

• G

Feb 9, 2012 at 3:57 PM

Well after my time mate. Didn’t even know they taught Geology. Think that came under Geography in my day. Fairly certain that pub was called ‘The Mitre’ by the way, although I hadn’t even heard of it when I was there. We used to go to the Green Tree in our lunchtimes when I was a pupil there!

• MagpiesFlyHigh

Feb 9, 2012 at 4:00 PM

Cardiff are a good club to go out on loan to – playing just on the edge of automatic promotion.
    It’ll be great experience and he’ll come back a better player