Santon – I Play For Historic Club In Historic City – I Am Happy

The news that Davide Santon was doing well in the Premier League was picked up by the Italian press yesterday and the 21 year-old got headlines in Italy.

Davide Santon – I play for a historic club at Newcastle

It’s not too often a player leaves Inter-Milan, but Davide was also courted heavily be Roma in the summer, but he chose to come to Newcastle in late August.

And along with his good form for Newcastle they also reported some of the comments he made when he first joined the club last year, so it gets to be difficult to know which were recent comments and which were from last August.

Davide had said that Newcastle are a historic club who play in a historic City.

This is what he was quoted to say yesterday in the Italian press,  but this seems a comment from last August:

It was the right time for me to leave Inter.  It was not an easy choice, but this is a historic club and a historic city and I am really happy to be here.

I can play left back or right back and I like to attack and to defend too. We have done well so far this season with our style of play.

And for the record these are the comments the Italian International made during his first interview last August, after arriving at Newcastle for around £5M:

I am really happy to be here. It was not an easy choice to leave Inter but this is a historic club and a historic city.  It is excellent timing for me to leave Inter and join Newcastle.

The timing could not be better. I can play left-back or right-back and I like to attack and to defend too.

I am here to give evidence that I am a good player and a champion. I am happy to be here in Newcastle to do that.

I can play in different positions, as a defender on the right and left or as a midfielder the same.  I like to go forward but also to defend.

I am here to give everything. We can achieve great things here. We can grow up together and help each other.

I am here for the future and this is a great life experience. I want to play for this club 100%.

I want to show I can be a great player, but that is a compliment.  I have watched a lot of Premier League games on television in Italy and I hope I can play well and be settled in this league.

I will be comfortable here.  There are a lot of great players in the premier League like Rooney and my good friend Balotelli. But I am not afraid.

I am here to play and fight for Newcastle. It is a great club in England and a historic city, with great players. Of course, I know of Alan Shearer too!

For the first few weeks I will settle and have my mother Renata and father Mirco over here.  My mother is a beautiful cook ,  the best, and I need her here for her lasagne!

That will help me play well. Newcastle have a young team and are signing young players and we all want to improve and do our best.

His mother  Renata and father Mirco only stayed for about three weeks because the lad settled in so quickly.

Those comments will be a reminder for the Newcastle fans since the lads is now coming into his own at left-back for Newcastle and he has so far made 13 appearances for the first team.

And we are hoping Davide gets into the Italian squad for the European Championship this summer, and the fact that Newcastle are doing so well and currently 5th in the Premier League, will not hurt the 21 year-old.

• JackButler

Feb 9, 2012 at 12:10 PM

For such a young lad to move away from his home country and come to the most physical league in the world and to settle so quickly show what a talent Santon is

• Eastander

Feb 9, 2012 at 12:12 PM

Santon is some talent, considering he’s only just turned 21 as well

• Spuggy

Feb 9, 2012 at 12:12 PM

Agreed – imagine how good he’s gonna be in 1-2 years.

Frightening.

• bob

Feb 9, 2012 at 12:13 PM

I hope Simpson doesnt get a new contract

• boater

Feb 9, 2012 at 12:14 PM

These quotes are from ages ago.

Indian Magpie and Gorgonzola’s comments about how good it will be for us if Pardew leaves (because he hasn’t played their fave player Arfa enough and once even brought Smith on!!!) has left me dumbfounded and a little sad.

It seems the players – including those International world beaters Perch, Ryan Taylor, Best, Williamson, etc – are making him look good.

I almost give in.. not quite but almost.

• JackButler

Feb 9, 2012 at 12:15 PM

To think that we have two potential class players in Streete and Tavernier coming through as well at right back and centre half we are looking very good for the long term as well

• Toon Tang

Feb 9, 2012 at 12:15 PM

@ gogoboots (previous thread)

excellent analysis and post, 100% agree with the guthrie and cabaye points.

• Spuggy

Feb 9, 2012 at 12:15 PM

@ bob

Yeah me too simpson is useless. I mean an 11 game unbeaten run – pathetic. Oh wait he was ‘carried’ by collo who did all those goal line clearances.

• Wor Demba

Feb 9, 2012 at 12:15 PM

Seems to be great guy all around. Feet on tthe ground and good player. If he can sort out his defensive positioning and tackling i.e. get them on par with his ability going forward, he could really be the one of if not THE best full/wing back in the league

• roshan MAGPIE

Feb 9, 2012 at 12:16 PM

who wants ENRIQUE when you have SANTON

• MagpiesFlyHigh

Feb 9, 2012 at 12:17 PM

We need to find him a top Geordie lasgane maker quick – he’s beginning to show his talent and we want him here for when we get to play in the Champion’s League

• Eastander

Feb 9, 2012 at 12:18 PM

@Bob, would be a bit further down the league if simpson hadnt put those goal line clearances in like

• joppadoni

Feb 9, 2012 at 12:18 PM

i have to agree he is an amazing wing back

best ive seen for like ever.. if ginola was a wing back id say he is that good. cant wait for his first top corner postage stamp goal. hopefully against spurs.

though he needs to learn to get back to his defensive duties more. causes too many problems that are easy to see for the opposition

• Spuggy

Feb 9, 2012 at 12:19 PM

@ Boater

They spoil this blog at one of the most exciting times for the team. I wish you could block posters on here. I don’t know if they’re mackems in disguise or just delusional.

• Stuart

Feb 9, 2012 at 12:19 PM

Nail on the head their boater. I reckon they have a little man crush on Benny like, upset they cant stare at his legs every week.

You’d never guess AP had got us to within one point of 4th in our second season back in the prem with only pennies spent in the summer.

Sack him, sack him now.

#facepalm

• MagpiesFlyHigh

Feb 9, 2012 at 12:19 PM

@ bob

Simmo has improved this season and is pretty solid as a defender, maybe not as strong moving forward but a worthy member of our back four.
    I’d want to keep him.

• AussieToon

Feb 9, 2012 at 12:20 PM

Davide is a star.

• Stuart

Feb 9, 2012 at 12:21 PM

Also, I really hope Simpson gets a new contract like. Played every game this season and is always improving.

Maybe still sign another RB in the summer, but definately a player we should be keeping in the squad anyway.

• joppadoni

Feb 9, 2012 at 12:21 PM

simpson is fantastic in my view. he has the look of a very very good defender for his age. i hope he signs as we wont get better than him. we wont get someone with his ability and more importantly, his class as a work ethic, he has it all.

• JackButler

Feb 9, 2012 at 12:21 PM

Simpson may not be the best right back in the game but to look at him now to when we signed him there is no comparison between the two, he has improve so much over the past 12 months and has saved us so many points I hope he does get his new deal but we need another right back at the club to ensure that Simpson is pushed for his place and continues to improve

• roshan MAGPIE

Feb 9, 2012 at 12:23 PM

marveux saylor and now best out for the rest of the season that sucks

• joppadoni

Feb 9, 2012 at 12:25 PM

@roshan – id have enrique tbh. but id stick santon on the wing 😛 the guys got quality forwad play but lacks in defensive duties. not what ya want in a defender. although ofc he can learn as he is a young man.

• Spuggy

Feb 9, 2012 at 12:25 PM

gorgonzola // Feb 9, 2012 at 11:17 AM

Exaclty my point Indian…

TO furhter add

1.I haven’t seen him do a magical tacitca switch that has Changed the game ever.

2. I haven’t seen a plan B as so often our main plan has not worked so we get hammered or we barely escape unscathed, hardly his magic work at play

3. And in all honesty we where playing OK with Houghton it not as if we where PATHETIC then came the messiah in Pardew all lies….

Lol Embarrassing

• MagpiesFlyHigh

Feb 9, 2012 at 12:27 PM

JB & joppadoni

All the squad players have improved from last season and have a good work ethic. Can’t really think of anyone who has performed worse. Going to credit the coaching team for that.

• Spuggy

Feb 9, 2012 at 12:27 PM

Yeah Best looked really good last game too, playing off Ba. Hope to see you back next season.

• Stuart

Feb 9, 2012 at 12:28 PM

Im sure at one point gorgonzola was one of the happy clapping ‘everything will be great’ lot?

Funny thing is, now that it is he’s a miserable sod.

• boater

Feb 9, 2012 at 12:28 PM

It’s the loony minority. If they won a luxury holiday to the Maldives they would complain about the peanuts on the aeroplane.

Another grumble is the talk of Pardew replacing Redknapp at Spurs – as if that’s some big prestige deal. Spurs are no bigger or better a club than us, they are just the darlings of the press at the minute because so many journos support them. We’ve finished top 4 much more than them during the Premier league years.

• valle

Feb 9, 2012 at 12:29 PM

Boater… Hang in there mate, allot of sensible fans out there still! AP Will guide this club to glory I am sure, just like old Bobby did, and just as was the case with Bobby, there will be hyena’s screaming for his head even then.

• roshan MAGPIE

Feb 9, 2012 at 12:29 PM

team for spurs KRUL SIMPSON WILLIAMSON COLO SANTON OBERTAN PERCH GUTHRE GUTI BA AND CISSE IN A 4 4 2 FORMATION

• joppadoni

Feb 9, 2012 at 12:30 PM

@jack – tbh simpson is like jonas in my opinion. neither need pushing to perform. perhaps i should even say simpson needs it less he tries his heart out when on the field. perhaps jonas didnt on the wing. although now with the range of play jonas has he does. or do we have someone chasing his spot? i dunno. tbh though jonas is man of the decade for me.. so much effort the ticket price isnt worthy 😀 i <3 jonas hes mint 😀

• JackButler

Feb 9, 2012 at 12:32 PM

MagpiesFlyHigh – You have to be careful when giving any credit to Pardew and his coaches as there are quite a few on here who believe that he’s clueless and has no idea regarding how to handle players or tactic’s (even though we are fifth in the league).
    Pardew, Carver and Stone have worked wonders as far as I’m concerned and deserves so much credit for his part in turning this club around

• joppadoni

Feb 9, 2012 at 12:32 PM

@magsFH ill give it to the players 😀 not the coaches. have you ever met any? lol lazy bastards haha. not met pardew like >.<

• joppadoni

Feb 9, 2012 at 12:35 PM

@ jackieB – only some people are arseholes. never fear though! im a pardew fan and backed him when we got him though! superpardewman!

• MagpiesFlyHigh

Feb 9, 2012 at 12:35 PM

Spuggy – previous thread

I’ve never seen such a hard working NUFC team. We have a defence to be proud of (when we have been a joke in the past).

I’d totally agree with that but we’re still conceding too many goals to be a top 4 side.
    We’re 90% the way there in terms of back 4 though and injuries really affected our shape when Saylor got injured. We need cover here next season

• boater

Feb 9, 2012 at 12:36 PM

Gorgonzola has a boner for Ben Arfa. We all have our favourite players and tactical views. I rate Ben Arfa – the potential at least – and would like to see him get more time in the future, but if you can’t put that to one side when things are finally stable and we’re exceeding all expectations to doff your cap it really does lack class.

• Wor Demba

Feb 9, 2012 at 12:36 PM

Anybody know whats goin on with Raylor? Has he recovered from bruising or is he definately out of spurs game? If hes out how long for?

• joppadoni

Feb 9, 2012 at 12:36 PM

btw ed to use a title from when he signed as news is like me saying the sea is now officially wet… :S

• Spuggy

Feb 9, 2012 at 12:37 PM

A realistic review of Pardews reign:

– He had a lot of crap to deal with when he arrived, including the Barton debacle. All handled with style and grace.
    – He has worked on such a tight budget yet him and his team have brought in some of the best players in recent years to be seen in a B&W shirt.
    – His work ethic – instilling in the team that they have to work hard in both attack and defence for 90 mins, and displaying their stats so each player can see how hard each other worked – genius.
    – His blend of solid defending and exciting attacking. This season we have seen some of the best goals in a long time, and enjoyed some great passing football at times.
    – He has got it wrong at times and he’s even admitted it openly. Inspite of this, he has a reputaion for being stubborn, I haven’t seen this myself.
    – His handling of the media is par excellence. He knows what to say when and always gives a balanced but not overly critical view on his players.

Is he Mourinho – no. Is he learning his trade and growing as a manager in top flight football – yes. Does he fit in with NUFC right now and handle MA and DL well – Definitely.

• Thump

Feb 9, 2012 at 12:38 PM

I actually stopped reading the comments on the last article because I saw Gorgon’s post. He needs to give his head a shake like.

• Diggedydaws

Feb 9, 2012 at 12:39 PM

Santon will be a fine, fine player, the lad’s a thorough bred, that’s why I think he struggles with lower league opposition in the cup, wey and B-Burn.
    Simmo is a good defender, his crossing needs improving but he’s a willing performer who put’s it all on the line for the club…week in week out, you’ll do for me kidda!