Big Test For James Perch And Danny Guthrie This Afternoon

We expect James Perch to keep his position in central midfield alongside Danny Guthrie for today’s tough game at White Hart Lane.

James Perch – will play alongside Danny Guthrie in midfield

And that’s because Yohan Cabaye serves the third game of his three match suspension for violent conduct,  and Cheick Tiote will be playing for the Ivory Coast in the final of the African Cup of Nations against Zambia tomorrow night.

But both midfielders will be available for the next Newcastle game, which is at home to Wolves in two weeks time.

Jame Perch has surprised a number of fans with his good form of late,  and he started by playing very well in the disappointing FA Cup loss at Brighton at center-back in place of Coloccini.

And then in the last one and a half games, the Mansfield-born player has looked very solid as a stand-in for Cheick Tiote in defensive midfield for Newcastle.

It’s a big game today at White Hart Lane for the Magpies, but James is right when he says it’s also a big game for Spurs,  and maybe the pressure will be more on them:

“It’s a massive game for us, but a massive game for them as well,” “They are going well at the moment and are maybe looking to win the league.”

“You look at Spurs’ squad, and when you look at in depth you probably shouldn’t be too surprised as they have got great players who can play at the highest level.”

“But we have done really well as well. People expected us to get relegated, or at least struggle, but we are proving people wrong week after week.”

“Everyone in the dressing room believes we can go to Spurs and win. We’ve been to some tough places this year and have got results when people thought we wouldn’t get anything.”

“This is no different. We know it’s going to be a tough game, of course, but we are playing well and there is a lot of belief in the dressing room.”

“I won’t know if I’ll stay in defensive midfield until much nearer the match, but Cabs is still suspended and Cheick is still away so it’s looking like that,”

“I’ve only been here 18 months and I think I’ve played in five or six positions, but it doesn’t bother me at all. People ask me if it winds me up and gets on my nerves, but if I couldn’t play centre-midfield then I wouldn’t have played the
last few games.

“If I’m honest, being versatile has brought me a lot more games in my career than I would have got if I had just nailed down one position, so I’m happy with that.”

Indeed since Alan Pardew arrived at the club, James Perch has seemed a happy man on Tyneside, at least this season, and it helps when the manager has faith in you.

James got off to a poor start at the beginning of last season, and as soon as Danny Simpson was available, he lost the starting right-back position in October of 2010 to Danny, and has struggled at Newcastle.

But this season he has played in the Carling Cup games and has made a number of substitute appearances and in all has 15 appearances for Newcastle this season, and is proving to be a very good squad player.

He’s played 16 times for Newcastle this season and that beats his 15 appearances for the club last season.

This afternoon will be a huge test for both Danny Guthrie and James Perch, and we’re just hoping they can hold the very strong Tottenham midfield, and that Ba and Cisse up front can score with any chances,  or even half chances they may get.

If they can do that then Newcastle could come away with a shock result tonight, but the lads are going to have to be somehow near their very best to do that.

What do you think?

• phillyg

Feb 11, 2012 at 8:47 AM

1st

• phillyg

Feb 11, 2012 at 8:51 AM

with the work rate of ba and cisse making runs and even chasing back it will relieve a little bit of pressure off our 2 CM’s. Guthrie looks the finished article and with ba and cisse making runs and thier pro-ess in the air I can see this being a good game for us. Perch has just got sit back and protect the back four and leave guthrie to do do the creative play.

• phillyg

Feb 11, 2012 at 8:53 AM

I believe that Obertoon should get the start to help simmo with Bale. Ober can keep pace with bale but then with ober racing forward bale will have to track back. Attack is the best form of defence.

• Lynxie

Feb 11, 2012 at 9:04 AM

Five man midfield for deffo tonight, with Jonas and Ober providing the burst from wide on the break. I think we might see the following team put out.

Krul

Gosling
    Papisto
    HBA
    Fergie
    Abeid
    Elliott

Prediction: a scrappy and hard fought 1-0 victory. DEMBA!!!!!!!

• roshan MAGPIE

Feb 11, 2012 at 9:13 AM

I PREDICT 2-1 VICTORY FOR US

• Dennis Twice

Feb 11, 2012 at 9:14 AM

_______________Krul_______________
    ____Willo____Colo____perch_________
    Obertan____Ben____Guthrie____Jonas
    _______Cisse____Ba____Loven______

7-5 Tot win but nice game

• eaststandgeordie1982

Feb 11, 2012 at 9:15 AM

we need both strikers on playing 4-4-2 and have a go at these 5 man midfield is negative to me why play for a draw i would rather have a go with the best team we have available and get beat than pack the midfield for a draw lets go for it

• spitfire_

Feb 11, 2012 at 9:19 AM

If Perch plays I don’t see how we can take anything from the game… He will play against Parker and Modric. After the last two games Pardew overestimate his contribution for the team.

• Robson Wonderland

Feb 11, 2012 at 9:26 AM

Anyone got a spare ticket for the game today?

Ps Dennis you must be takin the piss with that team!

442 Ober for Raylor, Papisse for Best. Done

• Benry

Feb 11, 2012 at 9:29 AM

Danny Guthrie is more than capable of taking the fight to Parker and Modric but it’s a 1v2 situation…. I think the midfield battle is gonna have a huge bearing on the outcome of the match and I really wished Pard would have played someone like Vuckic to go with Guthrie and try overload them. Perch (as much as I appreciate his effort compared to some others in our squad) just isn’t capable of playing o Modric level. All he can do is stand and hoof the ball to safety.

• bills-son

Feb 11, 2012 at 10:22 AM

One thing Perch defo has is bottle.

The lad will have heard the groans when he made mistakes last season and when he has come on as a sub this season. He also made a mistake for Drogba’s goal within minutes of coming on against Chelsea. I thought he would go to pieces after that but he didn’t. He kept his composure and had a decent game and since then he has hardly put a foot wrong.

I can remember missing two sitters in the last five minutes to equalise in a non league quarter final and getting stick off a handful of supporters in the next game. But it must be hell to hear 50,000 groaning when you come on as sub or misplace a pass. It takes some bottle to come through it the way Perch has. Well done to the lad.

• Tiki_Taka

Feb 11, 2012 at 11:21 AM

Whilst Spurs at home looks tricky on paper, I do believe we have the two best strikers in the premiership and in Danny Guthrie a potential England regular. If he wore a Man United shirt the media and “experts” would be ejaculating all over themselves.

We will go to Spurs brimming with confidence and don’t be surprised if this is match of the season.

• cupiddstunt

Feb 11, 2012 at 12:08 PM

TT @ # 12

I’m inclined to agree in BA we have a proven prem goal getter and Cisse we have what looks like to be and equally efficient goal getter and if what Ba says about his strike partner are true then look out the prem defenders.

All we have to is supply them with the chances and they will do the rest and I do believe that Danny boy is getting into his groove, his games are getting better and better his passing range is good and I don’t see why we can’t give them a game they will want to forget.

Yes they have some class players but so do we, and yes we have some of our top players out for this game but so do they.

We completely nullified Stoke in their game and to prove our versatility we completely out tacticed (I know tacticed is not a word but I took a leaf out of the American book and invented it) manure so on out day we can go toe to toe with anybody.

So why do some of you always have to be so bloody pessimistic?

• Lynxie

Feb 11, 2012 at 12:37 PM

cupid:
    whilst not being pessimistic, Spurs and Stoke in the same sentence? Purleeez………….