Quality Of Youngsters Arriving On Tyneside Has To Improve

We heard about a week ago that Mike Ashley was willing to put another £15M into the development of the youngsters on Tyneside.

Mehdi Abeid – top youngster at Newcastle

Of course the first thing is to have a good scouting network that can spot top youngsters that can be developed on Tyneside.

And the plain facts are that too many of the youngsters brought in since Ashley arrived haven’t developed as expected, and Alan Pardew and others have taken a long hard look at the youngsters on Tyneside, and came to the conclusion things have to get better.

Alan explained the situation today:

“We’re having a great season at first-team level and we’re hoping to continue to do that,”  “I look at the club further down and we’ve got young players coming through.”

“We’re hoping to build foundations, that’s the kind of work that goes on. The first-team now is pretty much set and we go from game to game looking to win as many as we can.”

“As a manager, from the moment you walk in you’re assessing the staff before you start assessing the players. I’m very happy with the staff we’ve brought in – big Dave Watson, Willie Donachie – so I know my staff are sound now.”

“Now it’s about getting the right product to work with. And I think the product here needs to improve, if I’m honest.”  “I’ve made that very clear, that we need to get young players here who perhaps have got more chance of getting into the first-team.”

“Not easy, but it’s something we’re going to focus on.” Rebuilding from the bottom up was one of Mike Ashley’s first priorities on buying the club.”

“Collectively, the likes of Ben Tozer, Fabio Zamblera, Ole Soderberg, Tamas Kadar, Jóan Edmundsson, Frank Wiafe Danquah and Wesley Ngo Baheng have not provided the return Ashley hoped.”

“And Nile Ranger, signed after being released by Southampton, has created more headlines off the field than on it.” “It’s not about that, because we’ve got great people here,”  “We just want to boost it on a bit, because that’s what we need.”

“It’s not about a radical overhaul. I’m just trying to say to Mike Ashley, to Academy manager Joe Joyce, to everybody involved with the under-branch of this club we have to improve it and that’s what we’re trying to do.”

It even appears that Alan Pardew was the instigator of this, and it probably came around when so many young players are not being offered new contracts this summer.

Alan’s right to say when youngsters like Ben Tozer, Fabio Zamblera, Ole Soderberg, Tamas Kadar, Joan Edmundsson, Frank Wiafe Danquah and Wesley Ngo Baheng arrived on Tyenside they were hailed as top youngsters of their age, but none have come through, and all will be gone from the club this summer, and some have already moved on.

Haris Vuckic, Mehdi Abeid and local lad Sammy Ameobi are hopefully  better examples of players who can do better on Tyneside, but we also have local lads like Ashington-born Jeff Henderson, Newcastle-born Dan Taylor and Amble-born Phil Airey who will be leaving the club in the summer.

And we expect Nile Ranger to leave in the summer, if he can be shipped out to another club, because he has quite a few years left on that lucrative contract he signed in October of 2010.

To start off the new Newcastle Youth strategy,  Newcastle brought in five youngsters in January of 2008,  Kadar, Soderburg, Tozer, Baheng and Zamblera, and none have made it.

And we expect about the same number to be brought in over the summer to start a new improved Youth system, that will hopefully bring in better quality young players to Newcastle.

That will depend an awful lot on Newcastle having the scouting network that can spot these young players, while they are developing and who can make it big time – and that’s not easy, not easy at all.

What do you think?

• Indian Magpie

Feb 11, 2012 at 10:18 AM

Loosing the ball is like an occupational hazard, jonas lost the ball last week, no1 has even mentioned it.

no 1 has mentioned the chance HBA set up for simpson at BHA (brighton

• Indian Magpie

Feb 11, 2012 at 10:20 AM

going to play football, will be back by the 2nd half kicks off at Old trafford, cheers

• gorgonzola

Feb 11, 2012 at 10:21 AM

“no 1 has mentioned the chance HBA set up for simpson at BHA (brighton)”

I did, and I keep laughing how ppl have absolutely no clue how to look at a player, he also when he lost the ball tracked back WON the ball and another chance resulted nearly got us a goal.

Pardew is scarred of him cause he has no clue how to play him, you need to adjust a little bit how you play, sure he will “loose” the ball, I would rather loose the ball if you wish and create 10 chances and crack open a defense than thump blind poor off key passes to the box like somebody is doing pretty much the whole season, yet hey he works hard…

• Brutooon

Feb 11, 2012 at 10:31 AM

its a basic rule, we sign them in their 15-18 years old then if by 20/21 yrs old they didnt improve, we sell them

• bills-son

Feb 11, 2012 at 10:31 AM

gorgonzola – AP has given HBA plenty of chances in the team but his weaknesses outweigh his strengths. Thats why he is out of the team.

• Benry

Feb 11, 2012 at 10:38 AM

Billson no Alan Parew has not given HBA plenty of chances.

You dirty little Shola lover!

• Hemel Mag

Feb 11, 2012 at 10:41 AM

Benton
    I knew the Viking well mate, it’s gone now though, so’s the rocket. Nice part of the world Amersham, my business is not far from there. Which school did u go to?

• Diggedydaws

Feb 11, 2012 at 10:46 AM

IMO it’s because we don’t have real fluid possesion and have’nt yet got the compose in the final third to suit the type of player Beny is, when Keegan played Beardsley in the role many wany Ben arfa to play our attacking football was the best in the league, dynamic, incisive and with an end end product, more often than enough through Pedro himself. I think when AP has REAL confidence in the way we play, assurance is probably closer to the mark though, I think players will genuinely have chance to force his hand into playing them. Second third of the season his hand has been forced mainly throughinjury. We don’t have a big squad as is!

• Benry

Feb 11, 2012 at 10:49 AM

Let’s be honest Pardew is sh1t scared of playing Ben Arfa becuase it might involve some element of tactical play. Same with Mascherano, same with Tevez. Hell, we brought in Cabaye, and all Pardew has him do is hoof long balls.

• GeordieToon89

Feb 11, 2012 at 10:50 AM

bills-son – Are you kidding me? Pardew has started Ben Arfa about 6 times.. that is no where near enough he needs to start a good run of games about 10 or 11 to get used to the league he’s never had a chance to get used to it because of his injury.. Pardew started Obertan for about 15 games and he offered nothing in all them and lost the ball all the time same as Jonas so how come he can do that with them planks but he cant do it with someone who can change a game in an instant?

• GeordieToon89

Feb 11, 2012 at 10:52 AM

Benry – Cabaye will be away if we play like this mate doesnt matter if we get into europe or not.. he left Lille on the promise we’d play the football he likes to suit his game and its only happened once of twice.. a team like us we should just be going out and attacking the other team and scoring goals forward like of:
    ————–BenArfa
    ———–Cisse—–Ba

• JP...from The Rock

Feb 11, 2012 at 10:53 AM

Here we go AGAIN more negative posts on off topic in a positive article. I really can’t understand you guys as we are having the best season in ages and you still can’t be pleased, you still have to find a negative in something. All this crap about HBA is really starting to annoy me as I want him to be on the pitch as much as you guys but I have more common sense and look at the bigger picture and allow the great job Pardew is doing to continue. He knows what he’s doing and he knows how to use him. The fact is we can’t use HBA properly until we have Cabaye and Tiote back. We already have Ba and Cisse that was missing in his past appearances but he still needs that quality protection in the middle that we don’t have right now in Guthrie and Perch.

What I am saying is the sooner we have out top players back the more we will see from HBA. Pardew knows that and is waiting to play him once his stars are back.

Besides Obertan has done well at times and is improving but I wouldn’t be too bothered if he started instead of HBA as I kinda expect it. HBA is without a doubt our most gifted player but we don’t have the players that can play around him for this game, the only ones are Ba, Gutierrez, Cisse and possibly Guthrie. I have no doubt we will see much more of HBA now that we have Cisse and Ba back so just be PATIENT FFS!!!

All this talk of HBA being sold in the summer is ludicrous! He’s just come back from a career threatening injury and has done well and is learning the English game and regaining his confidence in his first full season with us. Pardew knows this and we’ll see the best of HBA next season. HE WILL NOT BE SOLD IN THE SUMMER!!!

Now for some points against Spurs and I will be really happy and I don’t care how we do it.

HWTL!

• rab

Feb 11, 2012 at 10:54 AM

Yes Pardew must listen to you, he is so wrong and you are all so right, if only you were the manager

• Brutooon

Feb 11, 2012 at 10:54 AM

i know AP love to starts with Jonas and Obertan because they are better tracking back than HBA. I do admit both player lack of END PRODUCT but they are part of the UnbeaTOOON team

i am the biggest HBA fan, felt sorry for him because he didnt start that much game. He want to play for France in the Euro 2012 and i cant see that if he stays as an impact player

• Benry

Feb 11, 2012 at 10:57 AM

GT89-exactly mate, im glad someone actually has some sense on this subject! Too many ignorant tossers here who think they know everything about football and just blindly agree with whatever AP does.

The style of football we play…..we get bossed around by teams like Blackburn and West Brom. Don’t all come back slating me and call me a neggar because what I have stated is the truth. To have a talent like HBA and not even put him on the bench is laughable.
    I suppose we will get the customary 2nd half Shola appearance and we can all marvel at his contributions to the team.

• Benry

Feb 11, 2012 at 10:59 AM

If HBA is our most gifted player as many of you suggest, then is it not up to Pardew to accomodate him, and fit him into the team? He is being paid to be a football manager and he can’t even manage top talents?

• Benry

Feb 11, 2012 at 11:01 AM

Brutoon are you INDIAN magpie?

• Diggedydaws

Feb 11, 2012 at 11:01 AM

@ JP, You’re right,I can’t get my head round some of the folk on here. Too many Champ managers on here get back to the computer games the lot of you!!

We’re in the fight for champions league and the clubs in the best shape its been in in the 30 year I’ve supported the toon and people are sittin with their fingers crossed waitin for the bubble to burst…GET A GRIP FFS!

• JP...from The Rock

Feb 11, 2012 at 11:02 AM

HBA will be on the bench why wouldn’t he be? Unless he has an injury he will definitely be on the bench or even in the first 11. He will be played more no doubt some people just don’t have any patience.

• tarie4

Feb 11, 2012 at 11:05 AM

I love match days…starts off with a bit of negativity and ends up with positivity 😉

• JP...from The Rock

Feb 11, 2012 at 11:06 AM

Diggedydaws – It’s shocking isn’t it? I thought we were the best fans in the world, how wrong could I be. We may be the LOUDEST but not the best I am afraid, not after witnessing some very very sad and negative posts this season. After the magnificent season we’re having I really can’t find a negative yet people tend to surprise me in making one with no substance.

• Tiki_Taka

Feb 11, 2012 at 11:16 AM

I for one am not negative about us. In fact I’m so optimistic I’d be considered mentally ill by the so called “experts”.

• geordie157

Feb 11, 2012 at 11:21 AM

Love the debates HBA causes, plus it stops the Perch hate comments, when we should be backing him as at the moment he only has Gosling as competition.

On the signing front, L.De Jong of Twente looks like a good player, him and Douglas in the summer, plus Mbwia, Clyne and a winger who can play right and left would be a great summers business, plus not losing any star players of course! I cant see us getting Vertonghen but he would be a class addition. Any suggestions on a winger who can track back and cross the ball?!?! Barnetta maybe?

• solano

Feb 11, 2012 at 11:24 AM

Where’s Davyb? – he used to be the reserve/youth team “expert” and had a lot of those released recently, down as stars of the future!

• askar

Feb 11, 2012 at 11:25 AM

@JP…from The Rock: you are right hundred percent, but I’d really like to see him play this afternoon. I have full respect for what A.Pardew did but sometime I am not in line with his choices. HBA didnt start much games and injuries have held him back. He played only eight games and that is not enough….It is really frustating to see him set on the bench. Having said that, I will support all of our player: Perch deserves to start and we need to respect that. 3 – 0 for NUFC this afternoon.

• Tiki_Taka

Feb 11, 2012 at 11:33 AM

The thing with Sir ( 🙂 )Alan Pardew is that he is a huge fan of Phil Jackson (NBA Coach) and his philosophy. Collective over Individual.

Whilst Ben Arfa’s talent is undoubted he will have to seriously run his arse into the ground on a regular basis in order for Sir Alan to allow him a permanent starting place.

Far be it for me to argue with the class manager that is Sir Alan Pardew but placing Ben Arfa on the right wing adds extra pressure to his already non-existant defensive abilities. He cuts inside and then when the ball is lost he has to race back into position on the flank and then (if the opposition full-back has pushed on) he has to track him all the way.

Surely playing a 4-4-2 diamond with Cisse and Ba up top and Ben Arfa tucked in behind them would only call for him to add pressure to a opposition defensive midfielder, if they’re are playing with one, or he could just pick up a midfielder that happened to drop that little bit deeper in order to avoid the pressing from Newcastle and with the intention of getting on the ball and dictating play.

But hey, what do I know? I’m not Paul Merson 🙂

Howay the lads!

• Sav

Feb 11, 2012 at 11:48 AM

You are gonna have to find room for the current Toon midfield in your banner picture, Ed.
    – No James Perch and no Danny G ?????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• cupiddstunt

Feb 11, 2012 at 12:53 PM

Indian Magpie @ # 1

It’s because HBA does not put in the effort on the park when you open your eyes long enough you will see that.

• cupiddstunt

Feb 11, 2012 at 12:59 PM

Cheezboy @ # 3

In reply to your repeat post I will almost repeat post

Cheezboy @ # 24

So somebody on here conjectured that in your words “the fact that Pardew feels very much so threatened by the likes of HBA ability” and you believe it????

Well look out your window there are some pigs flying by.

In football managers have less and less time to get things right and NUFC was the worst club in football for that very reason no so long ago, instant results or you’re back out the door thankfull it looks like NUFC have removed the revolving door from the manager’s office and we are settling down.

If I had the choice between getting a team to play around a prima dona who is clearly capable of “X” amount of on field graft but only puts in “Y”, or I could leave that prima dona on the bench until he gets the idea that he is on the park for 90 mins not 9. Then he is on the bench no probs.

The teams league position and performances this season says the bench theory is the one to go with.

We have had a lot of hard games this season where going absent in game would have prob lost us the points, form is volatile graft is not.

• cupiddstunt

Feb 11, 2012 at 1:02 PM

Benry @ # 6

Why are you name calling???

Do you not know it is the manifestation of the limited intellect?????

• cupiddstunt

Feb 11, 2012 at 1:16 PM

TT @ # 26

People could do a lot worse than reading Phil’s book, what he did with the ego’s in the Bulls and the Lakers was incredible