Alan Pardew – Tottenham Were Irresistible At Times

Alan Pardew has talked to the Sunday Sun and he is able to point to some positives in the second half yesterday, for his Newcastle side.

A frustrated Alan Pardew yesterday

Newcastle were simply no match for Tottenham in the first half,  and Harry Redknapp had all his Tottenham players ready for the kick-off yesterday, and they came out of the blocks like the proverbial steam train.

Newcastle did not.

And that’s one reason we were 2-0 down in the first five minutes, and 4-0 down before half time came around, and the reality is it could have been a lot worse in that first half.

And for the second time in four league games,  and the second time we have conceded five goals in London, the team seemed to lack any kind of fight.

This is what Alan Pardew said:

”What we showed was not a true reflection of what we’ve been about this season,” “I think you have to say Tottenham were irresistible at times – some of the stuff they were doing was coming off for fun.”

”Some of their interplay and movement would have caused any team a problem and unfortunately it was us. Adebayor and Saha were a real handful.”

”I’m not sure we’ll come under the same circumstances again – in terms of the start they had, the team they’ve got, the sort of personnel they’ve got, the feeling for Harry and for the players.”

”It was unusual circumstances and it was Spurs’ day. But we’ll have our day.”  ”We’re on a decent run. We’ve won four of our last six or seven Premier League games – something like that.”

”We’re a team that doesn’t get into the sort of trouble that we got into on Saturday as a rule. But we know there were things that we perhaps need to concentrate on, at least away from home.”

”I’m armed with a little bit more information now.”  ”The positives were the second half where we didn’t lose our head, we didn’t go kicking them or getting someone sent off by doing something stupid,”

”We had a little discipline in our tackling and our covering and we threatened the goal as well.”  “In that we can have something to lean on – but we had perhaps too many key players missing.”

It’s true we had three players missing who would have made a big difference yesterday.

Cheick Tiote plays in the final of the African Cup of Nations tonight for the Ivory Coast against Zambia, and then he will return to Newcastle.

And Yohan Cabaye served the last game of his three match ban for the violent conduct charge he picked up at Brighton, and Ryan Taylor will be fit again from his ankle injury.

They would have made some difference yesterday, but we need Newcastle to pay back the fans with a committed  performance in the next two home games against Wolves and Sunderland.

And two wins in those games will have us keeping pace with the battle for 4th place, because Liverpool and Chelsea are struggling, and maybe Arsenal too.

But our goal difference has taken a hammering of course, and it’s the worst one of any side in the top seven.

That could even be a key for Newcastle,  and at worst could prevent us from gaining a place in European competition next season.

But yesterday’s game is over, it’s history,  and we were well beaten.

But it ‘s now onto the next game in two weeks time against Wolves, and we have a decent chance of taking all 3 points from that game, and the lads need to show some real fight and commitment in that home game.

A win will take us to 45 points, just one point short of last season’s total, and we’ll still have 12 games to play – and that cannot be bad.

Howay The Lads!!

Comments welcome.

Feb 12, 2012 at 10:33 AM

“Isn’t it funny. Benny have 2 shite games and he was put on the bench but on the other hand we have Obertan which played many games this season but when Pardew must speak about his good games”

Brilliant commens from Oleg, Benry, Rotonda, Spitfire.

Been saying the entire season so far, lads let it go… It wont happen Pardew is tacticaly weak manager, and also who says he is good with the youngsters, he cant manage HBA to me at all.

So best is to make peace he wont be here in the summer. I have already made peace with it, He knows he could be playing football, he knows he can be good, he is wasting time at Tynside in all honesty with players like Perch, Ferguson Obertan starting ahead of him where they would not make a reserve team in France…

Tooo terrible…

Feb 12, 2012 at 10:39 AM

Pardew you also need to look long and hard and see your choice of putting Perch in front of any team in the top 10 is not good.

I think you can see we need strength in RB, and CB and either wing next season as HBA wont be here to make it happen milk Ashley for all you can, as its obvious we are a few steps away from that Europe spot, say what you will we lost to ALL of those teams baring Manure. Arsenal still to come but I reckon getting a result there will be a miracle.

• Wor Shearer

Feb 12, 2012 at 10:40 AM

Have to agree, partially anyway. I don’t think Pards has proved he’s particularly good with youngsters. Those boys coming through now like Fergie and Vuckic were being readied by Hoots…..now HE was good at developing youngsters.

Pards hasn’t dealt with Ranger properly(who’s on a 5yr contract). Also, it sounds like we’re getting rid of pretty much all of our youth team in summer…

• wynsleap

Feb 12, 2012 at 10:43 AM

Don’t think Tiote, Cabaye and Raylor would have made that much difference yesterday. Tottenham were on another planet.
    We were out tackled, out paced, out passed, out manoevred and outclassed.
    Forget it and move on.

• moonraker

Feb 12, 2012 at 10:44 AM

Pardew obviously hasn’t been watching Spurs this season as they always play like that!

Cant believe he sent out that team with a weakened midfield and 2 strikers against possibly the best attacking midfield in the PL!

I was at the Fulham game and thought he would have learnt a lesson there!

Unbelievable! he should have started with 5 across midfield and could have changed it later as Spurs would have tired in the second half having had a cup match in midweek. Then he could’ve changed it second half.

That was shades of an old familiar Newcastle! Shambolic! God knows what that will do for the confidence 🙁

• JackButler

Feb 12, 2012 at 10:45 AM

Our lack of pace is the most worrying thing for me.

We looked slow and tired yesterday

• Dennis Twice

Feb 12, 2012 at 10:46 AM

4-5-1 away

• moonraker

Feb 12, 2012 at 10:46 AM

Anyone who thinks HBA would’ve improved that team last night is an idiot!

Feb 12, 2012 at 10:46 AM

Yes but they where sh*te apparently I cannot say as I haven never seen them lads.

I think games like this are brilliant I really do…it has opened a pandoras box and I hope the story DOESN’T go around they had a good day we where just poor…

NO THIS IS IT THIS IS A TOP 4 side lad…

WILLO
    SIMMO
    PERCH
    OBER

where soooooo ouudd off their league it was scary. They cant even be squad players possibly next season. How will we compete again cause for sure there will be injuries next season you cant bank on TIOTE 24/7

Cabaye I am not blown away by the lad in all honesty when he is on song he is great, raelly good littel player but a lot of games he is rather quiet. That Villa game I am still waiting of that repeat bossing the CAM role in a way…. hasn’t happened btu I am sure it will.

We need depth we dont have it. and for that to happen we need 4 more Cisse type signings of the range, and Pardew needs to play a good team as good as he can cause he doesnt do that which baffles me.

Feb 12, 2012 at 10:47 AM

Oleg,

Interesting annotation….. play a close 433 up front quite nice…

Feb 12, 2012 at 10:49 AM

moonraker // Feb 12, 2012 at 10:46 AM

Anyone who thinks HBA would’ve improved that team last night is an idiot

I think people are perplexed at the fact that Pardew said he played a “too much of an attackign side” we played a NO SIDE with Perch in CM agaisnt Kranjcar modric and co he misplaced more passes than HBA ever did sorry to say..

HBA wound not change a damn thing other than possibly create A chance which we didn’t whole game…

• hotdog

Feb 12, 2012 at 10:50 AM

I think we would all have taken a draw yesterday but we caught spurs at the wrong time, full strenght team and the Harry factor from this week was always going to cause us problems. I know fans have a right to have a say on here but come on lads, a little bit of realism is needed is it not? A winable game v wolves and the smiles will be back 🙂

Feb 12, 2012 at 10:52 AM

JB

“Our lack of pace is the most worrying thing for me.

We looked slow and tired yesterday”

Indeed I have no idea where that comes from my one player that is most evident is JONAS, he looks so dead tired and slow up fron. Possibly cause Pardew instructed him to help out in the rear more often than not I dont know…but his magic runs have all but disappeared and I am a bit sad cause of it…LOVED seeing him dazzle the defenders, doesn’t happen that often.

• moonraker

Feb 12, 2012 at 10:53 AM

gorgonzola it wasnt the atack that lost us the game it was the lack of midfield numbers. If we had ever gained possession of the ball in midfield we would have had a chance unless you think we could have won 6-5!

Feb 12, 2012 at 10:54 AM

moonraker 🙂

• JackButler

Feb 12, 2012 at 10:55 AM

Jonas has been poor since Marveuax picked up his injury, he seems to be too comfortable without that pressure of having to earn his place

Feb 12, 2012 at 10:55 AM

JB

Possibly….

• roshan MAGPIE

Feb 12, 2012 at 10:55 AM

last season with how many points we finished the league

Feb 12, 2012 at 10:56 AM

on that front when is Marveaux coming back will he be for the last game, hell I hope we didn’t get an injury special…

• jimmymagpie

Feb 12, 2012 at 10:57 AM

jimmymagpie // Feb 12, 2012 at 10:47 AM

For God’s sake, let’s cut the cr-p, without the physicality of Tiote and Saylor, this team cannot defend! This was not a freak result. Study the performances and goals against since Saylor walked off injured against Chelsea, and you will find we have one of the weakest if not THE weakest defences in the Premier League. Too many slow, physically weak non defenders in the back four, and that includes Captain Wonderful, who is out of his depth against pace and movement, and yet again does the unforgiveable for a defender, turns his back on man and ball at the slightest hint of getting a whack. In my day, he would have been called a chicken-hearted ‘fan-y merchant.’ Go back to the Carling Cup games against Forest and Blackburn when Saylor and Tiote didn’t play – 7 goals conceded. Without Krul and seriously poor finishing from opponents, there would have been many more hidings. Only a wek ago against Villa the game could have been lost at half time because the 2 centre backs were run ragged by Bent and Keane. Krul to the rescue again, and the game before that at Blackburn. Please Mr Pardew 3/4 pacey, physically strong defenders in the summer, before the two up front get pis-ed off with seeing their best efforts undermined by the feeble efforts of those behind them, and give Santon his wish of playing wide midfield, because he ain’t no full back.
    26 jimmymagpie // Feb 12, 2012 at 10:51 AM

One more thing – a good second choice goalkeeper urgently required, if Forster is to be sold. I’ve seen Elliot in a handful of reserve games, and the thought of him playing any number of games in the first team frightens the life out of me.

• moonraker

Feb 12, 2012 at 10:57 AM

hotdog thats not the point a team that can beat ManU 3-0 should be capable of giving Spurs a go even losing 1 or 2 nil would be understandale but to be 3 down after 20 mins is a disaster for a team in the top 6

• JackButler

Feb 12, 2012 at 10:58 AM

Marveuax went away to the training camp in Spain and it was reported that he’d be back playing in the middle of next month, but reports are now saying that he’s out for the season

• hotdog

Feb 12, 2012 at 10:58 AM

# Jonas was up against Kyle Walker who is top notch and very quick, thats probably why he seemed slow. We just need to accept that we aint a top 4 team but with some additions over the next two years we could challenge.

Feb 12, 2012 at 11:01 AM

“Only a wek ago against Villa the game could have been lost at half time because the 2 centre backs were run ragged by Bent and Keane. Krul to the rescue again, and the game before that at Blackburn”

Exaclty my sentiment.

Blackburn game we could have easily lost, way to easily, Villa we could have lost badly at home they where cutting us apart at times defense was shocking sometimes the defense looks out of breath….

Is everybody else taking stuff and our players not? 🙂 I Dunno…But I totally see your point….

The back over the summer for me is priority number one knowing Pardew he will overlook it as he sees Perch good enough it seems….

• hotdog

Feb 12, 2012 at 11:01 AM

#21 Agreed it was a disaster but it is one game. I know fans are upset but come on we win agianst wolves and the unwashed, happy days again!

• Scottishmag1

Feb 12, 2012 at 11:03 AM

I’m on the train one route back from the debacle last night…….

Outplayed, outclassed in every part of the pitch, made me laugh when pardew said afterwards that he played a too offensive team, think he meant formation as there was no one else who could have started!!

I would like to see him give some of the young lads a pop at some first team football e..g Abied , Ferguson and even HBA, obertan, jonas and perch look lacklustre for me. Lst nights game was not the game to judge all performances on but it did provide a few insights to our capability or not as the case May be!!

• moonraker

Feb 12, 2012 at 11:04 AM

with such an apparently structured transfer policy it seems unbelievable they didnt strengthen at centre back in the window ???

• NUFC FOR SALE

Feb 12, 2012 at 11:04 AM

What a bunch of @#seholes you lot are.

One big defeat and you’re all having a pop at Pardew.

Pardew can’t do anything on the pitch, it had nothing to do with tactics…..what else did you want him to do??? play 10 at the back??

For me that defeat yesterday was due to the fact our central midfield was completely outclassed, Guthrie and Perch are okay against lower PL sides.

But most of overall the defence was a shambles and a shambles because of 1 man…Williamson. He is an absolute clown, Championship centre half at best.

I almost put my foot through the tv when for more than one of the goals he turned his back on the shot. Steven Taylor would have took a ball in the face for the team…Williamson is soft as #hit.

Yes we got Cisse but the Jan transfer window was not successful because we needed a top class partner for Collicini more than anything.

• Benton Toon Exile

Feb 12, 2012 at 11:05 AM

hotdog- Sorry mate I was amonst the Spurs fans and they feared the worst because of injuries to key players.
    Van der Vart
    Defoe
    Kabul
    Lennon
    Huddleston
    Gallas
    They were telling stories of previous games against the likes of Wolves who came, worked and fought hard and Spurs were unable to break them down.
    Pardew obviously didn’t see those games, and got this very wrong.

• hotdog

Feb 12, 2012 at 11:06 AM

#26 Agree bud, pardew will learn more about his players from last nights defeat, he’s a good manager and will know who he takes on his journey!

• jimmymagpie

Feb 12, 2012 at 11:07 AM

Believe me, the fans who go to away games have seen this all before – without saylor and tiote, we’re cr-p at ther back, and we’re beginning to see it at home as well. Last two games in london – 10goals conceded. Even Wolves and the Mackems gave Spurs a good game down there. Please God, Tiote returns in form and fit, because if he doesn’t, there will be a few more hidings before this season is over, and I certainly wouldn’t want to go in to the derby without him!

Feb 12, 2012 at 11:07 AM

NUFC FOR SALE

“One big defeat and you’re all having a pop at Pardew.”

I think you are not following comments throughout the year.

Lots of lads here have been critical of him in fairness…

• Benton Toon Exile

Feb 12, 2012 at 11:08 AM

However I refer to my other post on the game.

We are 6th.
    We have 2 home winable games coming up.
    We have Tiote and Cabaye back next week.

Feb 12, 2012 at 11:09 AM

Benton Toon Exile

BANG

well done sir I was waiting for somebody to mention that…

well done SIR

• hotdog

Feb 12, 2012 at 11:09 AM

#29 Ill give you a couple but Gallas and Kabul would are not first choice if king is fit and lennon and defoe came on last night – how many beers did you have or had you given up by this time 🙂

• jimmymagpie

Feb 12, 2012 at 11:09 AM

@ 28 – are you for real ? One defeat? Fulham 5-1? Brighton?

• spitfire_

Feb 12, 2012 at 11:09 AM

Jonas are poor after he sign a new 5 year deal… before that he made some good games with Saint-toon. I just hope Marveaux to be fit asap. I just can’t stand Obertan and after HBO aboviously will be on the bench… Marveaux is the key to good cross, pace and plaing well in defence in one guy. I know that he play well in defence from couple of his games in France not in Newcastle.

• Benton Toon Exile

Feb 12, 2012 at 11:12 AM

hotdog – Given up mate!

To be fair to the Spurs lads, I think they were more shocked than us, and I didn’t pay for a drink all night!

Feb 12, 2012 at 11:13 AM

jimmymagpie

3:1 scumpool could have been worse
    Brighton
    Blacburn game I am still wondering how we took that 2:0 is beyond me.

we could have had at least 4 more hiding like this…

agreed

• Toon-82

Feb 12, 2012 at 11:13 AM

I agree with what most of you say, i think Pardew has a set way and can’t adapt to any other formation.

I fear Ben Arfa will leave, not given a real go in the team. The sooner Colo signs his deal the better.

I would like us to play a 4-3-3 against Wolves:

Krul
    R.Taylor (Simpson needs a rest, plus kick up the arse)!
    Williamson(Im not a fan off)!
    Colo
    Santon
    Tiote
    Cabaye
    Gurthie
    Ben Arfa
    Cisse
    Ba

Would rest Guti as well, even tho Guti does have his better games against Wolves, Would like to see Abeid get some game time as well as Ferguson, Hope Vukic impresses at Cardiff too.

I think we need a CB and RB for next season, Douglas and Clyne would be my guess. Both cheap if not free’s in the summer, then it will be a few young players, also would like a good back up striker, if we get rid of Lovenkrands and Ameobi, would keep Best til we had a decent replacement.

That’s made me feel better getting that all out now, haha