Ryan Taylor One Of The Success Stories Of The Season

It’s one of the surprises of the season that Ryan Taylor has become such an important player for Newcastle.

Ryan Taylor – important player for Newcastle these days

Ryan started the season at left back and his solid performances at the start of the season kept out Davide Santon.

That was until Davide could get used to the pace and physical nature of the English game.

But Davide has now come in at left back,  but it seems that Ryan Taylor will still have a part to play for Newcastle, and will be used out on the right wing a lot through the final 13 games of the season.

Of course there’s quite a number of players fighting for that right wing spot,  including Ben Arfa, Gabby Obertan and young Sammy Ameobi when he’s fit again, but Ryan provides a lot when he’s on the field for the Magpies.

Ryan seems fit again from the ankle injury he picked up after a rather vicious-looking  tackle from Villa’s Stephen Warnock, and this is what Ryan had to say about that injury today:

“I’m just grateful it wasn’t a bad one and I’ll hopefully be fit to face Wolves,”

“It’s great news for me as soon as I had the X-ray because I’ve had problems with that leg before. Warnock caught me right on the exact same spot.”

“It sort of ballooned up a little bit but I’m made up that it’s nothing too serious and I can be back for the next game.”

“It’s the leg I broke when I was at Wigan and I’ve had a few ops on it in the past. It just shows it comes back stronger. I’m thankful it was nothing too serious.”

And of course Ryan Taylor became part of Geordie folklore with his magnificent free-kick at Sunderland in August,  which got Newcastle all 3 points at the Stadium of Light, after we had taken a little bit of a battering in that first half.

And we may need another one of those specials on March 4th, when we entertain the old enemy at St. James’ Park in a must-win game.

That’s once reason Alan Pardew wants to have Ryan in the side if at all possible, because he’s a good crosser of the ball, he’s a threat from free-kicks, he gets back to help out the defense, he’s got a good long throw-in, and he’s an experienced mature player too.

Ryan talked about that goal against Sunderland:

“No matter where I go I get reminded of it,” “To be doing an interview and hear them on the other side of the pitch still singing, it is nice and hopefully it’ll live long in the memory.”

“I’m going to be dreaming the night before of a double against Sunderland. Who knows? I’d love it, though.”

We’ve always liked Ryan since he joined the club just over three years ago from Wigan, and if he keeps up his good form he’ll get an  extension to his four-and-a-half year contract, which runs out in eighteen months time.

And here’s that great goal against Sunderland – just to savor one more time. 😀

• jimmy2shoes

Feb 15, 2012 at 6:43 PM

I like raylor and think hes a great squad player, he doesnt get in my starting 11 though:
    4-5-1

_____________Krul________________

___simmo___ willo__ collo__ santon__

_______cabaye__tiote___guthrie____
    _jonas_______________________ba

____________Cisse_____________

• Dannyo

Feb 15, 2012 at 6:45 PM

Raylor has been a good and humble squad player for us this season.
    But weather he’s been a success, i honestly can’t agree.
    Raylor is our top dispossed player along with Krul.
    He was passed by on the LB more times than i can count due to his lack of pace.
    He’s scored some important goals, therefore being quite an important piece this season.

All in all, he’s an average player with a foot made of gold, in my honest oppinion. I wouldn’t go as far as to say he’s a success.

• t00ntime

Feb 15, 2012 at 6:49 PM

@jimmy2shoes … I would play benny/raylor before jonas on the right… this season jonas has been pretty bad at going forward but great defensivley only good thing about him is his workrate for the ret raylor and benny are both better, guess thats why he is a Lb/RB for Argentina

• MagpiesFlyHigh

Feb 15, 2012 at 6:51 PM

@ mattyNUFC previous thread but one

I reckon Guthrie has improved so much this season he is almost a first pick. Tiote, Cabaye and Guthrie as a mid 3 would be well worth a try – Jonas probably needs a break anyway as he looks knackered just now.
    He really does deserve a new contract and if we are aiming for a side that can hold its own in say the Europa we need more quality midfield cover and losing Guthrie would be an indicator of how serious our ambitions really are.

• North Atlantic Magpie

Feb 15, 2012 at 6:56 PM

Raylor is too defensive for my liking. He never attacks. Always back passes the ball. Pretty good on free kicks but that’s about it.

• catchy in norway

Feb 15, 2012 at 6:56 PM

• jimmy2shoes

Feb 15, 2012 at 6:58 PM

fair point t00ntime, in an ideal world id have HBA starting every game for us, but we have to play a system that suits him, as we always seem to lose in the prem when he plays

• catchy in norway

Feb 15, 2012 at 7:00 PM

although raylor is not one of my fave players, i do think we get more out of him than others in the team, 1 assist he didnt get and he should have was the goal cabaye scored, has put a lot of good crosses in from both the left and the right, the goal ba scored against villa, iv never seen obertan take up that position in the box thinking there will be a cross coming in,, good free kicks, decent throwins, not a bad utility player for us

• t00ntime

Feb 15, 2012 at 7:10 PM

@catchy agreed great utility player who will play his heart out in midfield and defense, how ever I would rather have a quick RW who can cross but also dribble, Raylor has to stay with us and can be a benchwarmer 😉 he plays in so many postions im 100% sure he will get atleas 10/12 games a season

• catchy in norway

Feb 15, 2012 at 7:21 PM

t00ntime // Feb 15, 2012 at 7:10 PM

I THINK SO TO 🙂

HEY LADS WHAT ABOUT VUCKIC SCORING LAST NIGHT,, WELL DONE

• Troy Stavers

Feb 15, 2012 at 7:27 PM

Despite him surprising me at how well he’s done this season, I still believe its a sad indictment that the squad is lacking in depth.

He definitely deserves credit for not hiding from the boo boys, (yes, I was one) but I still don’t see him good enough to take us to the next level.

His eyes are too close together for my liking. 😉

• darrenfletcher88

Feb 15, 2012 at 7:35 PM

Everything one fit Guthrie would not start,get the big boys back and we will get six points from are next 2,no problem!!!!

• Troy Stavers

Feb 15, 2012 at 7:39 PM

@catchy in Norway

I haven’t been overly impressed with Vukic whilst he’s played for the Toon. Do you believe he’s special or just potential?

• Best9

Feb 15, 2012 at 7:40 PM

would just like to point out that we’re not all “lads” … just sayin.

• Troy Stavers

Feb 15, 2012 at 7:44 PM

@best9

You a lady or a ladette? 😉

• Toon Tang

Feb 15, 2012 at 7:44 PM

why, what are you Best9 ??

• Troy Stavers

Feb 15, 2012 at 7:47 PM

@Toon Tang

Get off ! I was here first. You can have her if she says she’s a ladette.
    🙂

• Jonty

Feb 15, 2012 at 7:54 PM

Ryan Taylor must be a managers dream. Doesn’t moan just gets on with whatever job he’s asked to do. He’s not a world beater but every squad needs one or two Ryan Taylors. Same could be said of James Perch. Well almost!!

• Troy Stavers

Feb 15, 2012 at 7:58 PM

@jonty

I wouldn’t disagree with you there. He’s a squad player and a utility player. But would he get in another top 6 squad?
    I don’t think so.

• GeordieToon89

Feb 15, 2012 at 8:05 PM

What a fu*king goal from the Prince

• Troy Stavers

Feb 15, 2012 at 8:09 PM

Do people actually reply to questions on this blog?

Come on, don’t be shy. I don’t bite. 🙂

• JackButler

Feb 15, 2012 at 8:11 PM

Raylor is a great pro and a great squad player

• WWJBD

Feb 15, 2012 at 8:20 PM

Troy
    Do u blame the lass for not replying? Haha

• davybtoon

Feb 15, 2012 at 8:23 PM

Hba shud play left wing as santon as a better defender than Simpson problem solved then it’s between jonas/obertan for ryt wing, Guthrie been great but cabaye n tiote hav to start as do ba n cisse, unless we go 433 n hav Guthrie tiote cabaye n ba cisse hba

• JackButler

Feb 15, 2012 at 8:26 PM

Arsenal are shocking

• WWJBD

Feb 15, 2012 at 8:26 PM

Is Zlatan brilliant or amazing? 😀

• Troy Stavers

Feb 15, 2012 at 8:27 PM

@wwjbd

No. Ive asked 3 people questions and the only one to reply was you who I never asked anything. 🙂

Is it normal to make a post and wait for a response?

I’m new to this blog.

• JackButler

Feb 15, 2012 at 8:27 PM

WWJBD

Sometimes he looks as if he’d be out of his depth in a sunday pub team and then other times he is simply unplayable

• davybtoon

Feb 15, 2012 at 8:28 PM

Milan jus killing arsenal

Also looks like curbishly getting wolves job

• catchy in norway

Feb 15, 2012 at 8:29 PM

Troy Stavers // Feb 15, 2012 at 7:39 PM

sorry i was collecting my son from skiing

yes i think he is that good, against west brom he did pretty good, got a great shot on him, then i feel pardew let him down a bit in the liverpool game, not for the first timer this season pardew has played some strange tactics,, pardew changed the whole way the team played when the boys went to africa, now to me that showed he had no faith in what he had left ,

i also feel pardew is very reluctant to use any of the kids, i wouldnt mind losing some games if it ment some of the kids we have learnd from it, but hed rather stick to the players with less ability like obertan and perch,

• WWJBD

Feb 15, 2012 at 8:30 PM

Troy
    Oh right mate haha my mistake sorry 😉

Depends who u talk to mate some are purely one comment and thats their lot some enjoy a bit of back and forth.

• WWJBD

Feb 15, 2012 at 8:33 PM

JB
    Haha I LOVE him. He loves being offside and just doesnt care enough to get back on side haha class

As for his performances I think it entirely depends on whether he can be bothered pure and simple if he is up for it he will boss the field if he doesnt fancy it he doesnt turn up

• catchy in norway

Feb 15, 2012 at 8:34 PM

Troy Stavers // Feb 15, 2012 at 7:39 PM

ps
    in pre season, it was him and abeid that where our star performers in the usa, my brother who goes and watches the reserves says that when he watches these 2 play and some of the others, they have great ability, berdo has them playing great football

• Papiss9

Feb 15, 2012 at 8:34 PM

Zlatan is absolutely brilliant. Those who doubt him know nothing about football

• catchy in norway

Feb 15, 2012 at 8:36 PM

zlatan,

i think some of his skils are amazing, and to think he is 6ft6,, top top quality

• JackButler

Feb 15, 2012 at 8:36 PM

WWJBD

Tat is the perfect way to describe him, Arsenal players will be having nightmares about him after what he’s doing to them tonight

• catchy in norway

Feb 15, 2012 at 8:36 PM

right im off

gona watch the color purple haha

• Troy Stavers

Feb 15, 2012 at 8:37 PM

@catchy

Hmm. I can’t agree with you at all with that fella.
    You say you would be prepared to lose games as long as the youths benefit from it.

The most important thing is to win games and the youths have to be brought in gently. You cam easily destroy a youths confidence when they are thrown in the deep end and particularly when they are on the losing side.

Youths who are ready to play in the first team, particularly at Vukic’s age , are normally a special talent. He’s still very young and needs nurturing IMO .

• JackButler

Feb 15, 2012 at 8:38 PM

I’ve heard a lot say today that Clarke if a future NUFC manager, personally I think Beardsley is a future NUFC manager as well

• darrenfletcher88

Feb 15, 2012 at 8:38 PM

Wenger to get sacked in the morning, oh I forgot there fans will stick together and back their team to bounce back!!!!

1 2 3 6