European Competition Still Within Reach For Newcastle

It will be very difficult for Shola Ameobi to get too many starts for Newcastle when Demba Ba and Papiss Cisse are both fit.

Shola Ameobi – willing to fight for his place

Shola signed a new contract last year, and it now has two years to run through this summer, but we wonder if this will be his last contract at Newcastle.

Shola hasn’t looked good in the last few games he has played for the side, and so far he has only one goal this season, and as usual his form has been erratic this season.

Of course the local lad usually comes alive in the Sunderland derby games, and he’ll get a chance in that game at St. James’ Park on March 4th, and maybe he can get a goal in that game – he certainly likes scoring against Sunderland.

His only goal this season was against Spurs at home, when he put in that late equalizer to tie the scores at 2-2, and it was an excellent finish.

Shola was speaking yesterday  at Walker Central FC, which is to start construction of their new all-weather pitch:

“I wouldn’t have signed a contract at the start of the season if I wasn’t going to be happy with fighting for a place,”

“I know the manager wants competition for places and I understood that when I signed my contract, it can only be good for us and for the manager that players are fighting for places.”

“You have to up your game and be at your best to get in the team and that can only bode well for Newcastle.”  “It’s great to have a guy of Cisse’s quality and obviously we hope he can improve on what he did against Aston Villa.”

“We’re in sixth position and I know a lot of people wouldn’t have put us in that place at this stage, but there’s a lot of hard work and effort gone in to what we’ve done this year. We’ve got to be focused and keep our heads level.”

“You need a big squad if you’re going to challenge the top four or five.”  “Look at the likes of Man United and Man City and the players they have on the bench, it’s a long season and the manager knows that.”

“He’s trying to build a squad in his own way and feels can do the best it can and fight for places and to finish as high up as we can.” “He understands we need a big squad to challenge, not just in the league, but in the cups and hopefully in Europe over the coming seasons.

“He’s doing his job, he knows there’s always need for improvement and hopefully with the players he’s added and those he will add we can do that.”  “At the start of the year we had our objectives as a team and those are exactly the same now regardless of where we are at.”

“We know as a club and a squad we want to finish as high as possible, as long as we give everything we have on a Saturday afternoon.”  “You deserve where you finish and we know that. It’s great at the moment, but there’s a long way to go. There’s a lot of good teams behind us so we just have to focus on the next few games and see where it takes us.”

“This year, there’s a togetherness and there has been for the last couple of years.”  “Everyone is pulling in the same direction and you need that in any successful team and that’s what we’ve got.”  “Once you add the quality you’ll win games. “

“It’s great to be a part of, it’s exciting times for Newcastle so hopefully we can keep our heads and keep focused until the end of the season.”

Newcastle are still 6th in the league, even after the 5-0 hammering  at Spurs,  but that’s over now and the main thing is for Newcastle to get back on track in our next game, which is now 9 days away against Wolves at home.

This weekend are the FA Cup games of the 5th round, and of course we were knocked out at Brighton this season,  and so we don’t have a game.

And we should have three good players back for the next game against 3rd bottom Wolves – Cheick Tiote, Yohan  Cabaye and Ryan Taylor, and a win in that game will see us at most one point out of 4th place, where we are at the moment.

And all the criticism over the last few days is probably over the top,  because who would have thought we’d be just one point out of a European Champions position after 25 games played in the league?

No too many.

Shola has played in the Newcastle first team since he was 18, when Bobby Robson gave him his debut, and he has 322 total appearances with 71 goals and 29 assists for the Magpies, and it would be good to see some more goals from the 30 year-old this season.

• roshan MAGPIE

Feb 16, 2012 at 8:51 AM

he will score another 2 goals against SUNDERLAND and then he wont score for another year

• Troy Stavers

Feb 16, 2012 at 8:53 AM

Can someone advise me about posting on here.
    It won’t allow me to post on the mobile site. Is this the same for everyone or do I need to register or download something?

• Troy Stavers

Feb 16, 2012 at 9:03 AM

Despite Shola’s crap record he will still get a huge send off by the fans when he retires.

I do however think it will be as a huge sigh of relief more than anything else.

The ground will be brimming with everyone thinking, yes he’s gone!

Bit harsh I suppose., but there’s an element of truth in it. 🙂

• pbNcl

Feb 16, 2012 at 9:10 AM

SSHHHHHHHHOOOOLLLLLLLLLLAAAAAAAAAAA

• Toon Tang

Feb 16, 2012 at 9:12 AM

@roshan – that’ll do for me at the mo

• pbNcl

Feb 16, 2012 at 9:14 AM

Ive seen shola take the ball down and rocket a half volley at the goal, nearly breakin the keeper in half and I think to myself ”fu**k me is that shearer!”….. haha na, I do love the ameobi’s tho…. all them haters can sniff me undercrackers! TOON TOON

• Troy Stavers

Feb 16, 2012 at 9:16 AM

@pbNcl

What do you see in him that others don’t?

• Irie-Magpie

Feb 16, 2012 at 9:19 AM

Troy, their is a link at the bottom of the mobile page “Powered by the wordpress mobile pack” you need to click this and it should take you to the login option.

• Irie-Magpie

Feb 16, 2012 at 9:21 AM

The “Powered by” part that is.

• pbNcl

Feb 16, 2012 at 9:24 AM

@ Troy Stavers

I see the same as everybody else my friend, I jus love my team. And wor shola’s a vital cog. Give me a shola ameobi over a horrible little twat like suarez any day!

• Troy Stavers

Feb 16, 2012 at 10:13 AM

@irie

Cheers . I’ll try that.

@pbncl

Not a great way to look at things fella. I need more convincing than, he plays for the Toon.

• wynsleap

Feb 16, 2012 at 10:23 AM

Ed – I have to smile when you say “all the criticism over the last few days is over the top” yet I remember you running a piece straight after the Spurs game entitled “Appalling and embarrassing display”.
    You also go on to say in that piece “”Coaches need to find out how a team can turn up at White Hart Lane and serve up this tripe”.
    Also, “The Newcastle side were “embarrassed and embarrassing”. Finally, “This performance was so absolutely pathetic. Have I made myself clear?”
    What is clear Ed is that you are a fanatic like all of us and you hit back in strong terms after being devastatingly hurt by a Toon mauling. Again, like all of us however, you start to look on the positive side again soon after.
    It’s what makes us all Toon fans. Good on yer.

• Troy Stavers

Feb 16, 2012 at 10:36 AM

@wynsleap

You may know more about it but Ed may still have the same views as he did immediately following the match. Is he not responding to some who are overly criticising the team overall and not particularly for that lame performance?

If you get my gist.

• wynsleap

Feb 16, 2012 at 10:47 AM

Troy – Yes he may be and he’d be right.
    We’ve been in the very top section of the Premier table most of this season and you can’t argue with that achievement, yet some on here seem to think we have been so bad we are lucky not to have been in the relegation zone now. Amazing!
    Still think that with some astute purchases next window we can do even better next season – as long as we DON’T sell any of our best performers.

• toonincheek

Feb 16, 2012 at 12:18 PM

We were all devasteted after that defeat, all the more difficult as we were starting to almost expect something we weren’t expecting.

But, like all TOON fans, you soon start to look at the positive side, like our achievement and position to date – and the chance to take it futrther.
    We are in the mix of 4th/5th/6th places and Chelski and Liverpool have their problems.

We can give it a go. Two wins from the next two games and we’ll be chirpy again.
    And dreaming of CL!!!

• Brutooon

Feb 16, 2012 at 1:09 PM

1) I would like to say thank you to Shola Ameobi for all his missed opportunites. Now both Demba will replace you and score 5 times more than you should. European Nights will be back.

2) Ameobi ONLY goal will be the Spurs goal. I will STOP saying about Shola Ameobi for 5 years if he SCORES another goal this season

• theleckworthbird

Feb 16, 2012 at 2:54 PM

Shola would have been a much better player if his career hadn’t been dogged by injuries. And he has a happy knack of scoring against Blunderland.
    ( I had to correct a typing error then – I had written carer instead of career). That would have given the shola critics some grist t work on.

• josh

Feb 16, 2012 at 6:18 PM

@PBNCL with you all the way fella. Ignore these pretenders like brootw@. Any text with the word ameobi in it they’re all over it like a horrific bout of the clap with their negativity