Manager Now The Main Voice In Newcastle Dressing Room

It seems that with egotistical characters like Joey Barton, and to a lesser extent Kevin Nolan, now gone from the Newcastle dressing room,  the team spirit is even better than it was at Newcastle.

Kevin Nolan – now captain of West Ham

Under Chris Hughton Newcastle formed a team committee when Newcastle were relegated in the summer of 2009, and it consisted of players like Kevin Nolan, Alan Smith, Joey Barton, Steve Harper and others.

But now those players are no longer starters at Newcastle and most have left the club, and it appears the team spirit is even better than it used to be, and there  is now a single voice in the dressing room – that of manager Alan Pardew.

Joey Barton and Kevin Nolan both left in the summer,  and some of us thought that would be detrimental to the team spirit,  but it hasn’t turned out that way, and the lads can fight it out on the field with the best of them.

Ryan Taylor spoke yesterday at the Newburn Leisure Center, and he was there to launch a series of free football fun days for local kids in the city, and this is some of what he had to say:.

“There’s no one in the dressing room on the scale of Kevin and Joey,” “They were quite vocal, but I think as a team for some reason it just seems to work better.”

“The manager has taken over from the likes of Kevin and Joey and that’s how it should be.”He’s your manager and, if things aren’t going well, he’s the man you want to pull you aside.”

“It’s always nice when he is giving you compliments, but you have to take some criticism as well.”   “You’ve got to give people time.”

” Cisse has played totally different football to what the Premier League is, but I’m sure his quality will come through.”

There was nothing much wrong with the team committee, and it seemed to do its job, when we were promoted at the very first attempt, and that was a massive achievement for the Tyneside club.

Ryan Taylor, Danny Simpson and Tim Krul are players who have become more  involved  in things both on and off the field, and they were probably drowned out when Joey Barton and Kevin were running things from a players’ viewpoint.

The players that came in during the summer such as Yohan Cabaye, Gabby Obertan have been quickly assimilated into the squad, and the same is happening now with Papiss Cisse, as players, manager and coaches are making sure the Senegal striker settles in quickly at the club.

We have absolutely no complaints about the Newcastle team spirit this season, and certainly the new players Newcastle have brought in over the last eighteen months or so  seem fine characters, and they want to to be at Newcastle, and that’s so important.

• Indian Magpie

Feb 17, 2012 at 9:06 AM

it would be nice if he speaks some sense in the dressing room, coz he has been speaking utter garbage, utterly contradicting himself.

Not that makes sense to me, anyways,

Sorry some of you lot will differ

• ash-out

Feb 17, 2012 at 9:18 AM

@Indian Magpie

You make no sense and talk utter drivel as usual.
    Pardew he talk with forked tongue….yawn. Change your tune.

• Indian Magpie

Feb 17, 2012 at 9:21 AM

pardew talks crap, i can give you several examples and a hypocrite to boot

• Rotonda heights

Feb 17, 2012 at 9:23 AM

Right lads

You will play a high line even though we have 2 central defenders, especially you willo who turn slower than a ship.

Sorry cabaye and benny we will play long ball but thanks for coming.

Sorry again benny we will play 442 so no midfield creativity needed. Again thanks for coming.

Shola you’re back in cos Dave didn’t score last match.

sad but so predictable.

• thepict

Feb 17, 2012 at 9:46 AM

I think what Alan Pardew has done in the 14 months since he became manager is fantastic . Many so called experts in the media and also on this blog said we were going to be relegated – not going to happen.
    Have we missed Nolan, Barton and Enrique? – no.
    The players we have brought in have improved the squad.

• Munster Mag

Feb 17, 2012 at 10:01 AM

No !!! Pardew is rubbish !! he’s useless and cant handle an oddball like HBA!!!! He’s useless , sack him !! Now !!!!! I want a real manager like Mourinho, not some bloke who buys well, analyses teams well, teaches a team to defend and gets an average team up to 6th in the prem league. Boo hoo !!

• nden85

Feb 17, 2012 at 10:06 AM

ha Rotonda heights is so right. the high line we play is the most ridiculous thing i’ve ever seen in football

• nden85

Feb 17, 2012 at 10:07 AM

oh and thats not me saying he’s a sh*t manager, because he’s not, but at times his tactical nativity is there for all to see.

• thepict

Feb 17, 2012 at 10:28 AM

Ok Indian , where is your evidence that AP talks crap and is a hyocrit?

• Kazjohn

Feb 17, 2012 at 11:01 AM

As a manager, Pardew, like many other managers has his strengths and weaknesses. Some of us like to point out our current position, and the fact that he has assembled a squad with a good work ethic and fantastic team spirit all pulling together. Others like to emphasise the negative aspects such as the inability to optimise the undoubted talent of Ben Arfa, which I have to admit does frustrate me. I do feel Pardew is limited in his ability and we are probably punching above our weight at the moment. I do not think he has the tactical nous to take us to the next level. However, at this moment in time we should be careful what we wish for, (walk before we can run etc). Believe me, as a lot of you older supporters will vouch for, things could be a helluva lot worse, McGarry, Dinnis, Ardiles, McFaul, Gullit, Souness, Allardyce, the list goes on. I’m enjoying the run at the moment, things could be better with a bit of tweaking and lack of managerial stubborness, however, they could be a lot worse!!

• cupiddstunt

Feb 17, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Now I recon I ‘m going to get a lot of stick over the following comments but here goes,

In reading this blog I get the impression it is the “five minute followers that” appear to be doing the most complaining, I have been a supporter of the magpies for around 55+years and have followed them through thick and thin.

I was at the last FA cup win in 55, I do not remember it as such but I do remember the stories my dad would recite and repeat to me about when he took me to THAT game and I guess it’s a long time since I was able to remember the fact from the fiction of the day.

I was there at the “Inter Cities Fairs Cup” in 69 and in between and since I have been there for all the failures and disasters and it maybe this that tempers my comments.

Posters who have only followed for a decade or less the “five minute fans” as I see them, you complain about the team, about the manager, about the owner, you don’t know when you are well off you have only followed for five minutes and though half of that we were passably successful.

Try 50 plus years with only one success and you will understand the meaning of “through the bad times”

Billson is another who has about half a century on the black and white roller coaster and he rarely complains, he supports.

Indian magpie, brutoool, rosted pork, just three of the most bitterly complaining of our far flung followers you don’t know what bad is so give it a break.

We’re 25 games into the season and sitting two points off CL position, 25 games tells you there is a little more than luck involved so nden85 I think the tactical nous that AP shows is a little better than your comment deserves.

As for your comment on his tactical nativity, I though nativity was all to do with birth I think the word you were after was naivety, and if you’re going slag someone then at least get the words right, you five minute fans depress me.

• cupiddstunt

Feb 17, 2012 at 11:21 AM

Indian Magpie @ # 1

You speak utter garbage 95% of the time,

And @ # 3 I can give you scores of examples of your crass, moronic, asinine talk so what’s your gripe??????

It’s about time you sat back and looked at the big picture before hitting the keyboard and maybe you would see there is no need for it.

Has it ever occurred to you that the players may read this Blog and your constant complaining could in fact be making their job harder?????

• Kazjohn

Feb 17, 2012 at 11:40 AM

Cupidstunt, good post, not just because I went to my first game in 1965 and am one of the older generation you refer to, but you do make some very valid points. Supporting the Toon has never been easy, you have to support through “thin and thin( sic). I think as you become older you probably become more tolerant and see the bigger picture rather than the crass knee jerk reactions we hear nowadays. However, lots to be happy about at the moment, although with some posters we know we are only one result away from a crisis.

• The Eternal Optimist

Feb 17, 2012 at 11:53 AM

can we not kick the indian mackem off this blog? or at the very least explain that it’s for supporters of Newcastle United FC. I can only assume he supports Notts County

• toonincheek

Feb 17, 2012 at 12:14 PM

Eternal – a bit harsh.
    Not that I particularly support I-Mag’s views or the way he tends to repeat them from thread to thread, but it’s not really in the right Toon spirit to suggest he supports the other (and older) team in B&W.

• Munster Mag

Feb 17, 2012 at 1:51 PM

Cupidstunt – brilliant post mate. Put it this way, as a child in Ireland i listened to us losing in the UEFA Cup to Bastia on the radio, my first season being the season of the City League Cup final. I can remember where i was when Tuert scored, aged about 9. You needed balls to support NUFC in Ireland – everyone else loved Man U Arsenal Leeds and Liverpool !! And we have to put up with muppets who lift their head out of Football Manager every now and again to whinge. If they wanna whinge, then whinge about the ground name going ffs. And by the way , there is NOTHING wrong with a high line, provided its marshalled well. And is has done us well for so much of this season. Of course it needs a player like Colo to marshall it, and he would be an amazing sweeper if that system ever came into vogue again, but we are doing well – SO GET OVER YOURSELVES.

• mickg108

Feb 17, 2012 at 8:35 PM

Everybody knows are defence are too slow to play a high line,,but we do…Bastia I was there the great Johny Rep wasn’t so great that night….Do I need all my ticket stubs to Blog ??…Both Semi-Finals superb,Finals ferking Crap..