Peter Beardsley Good Example Of Late Developer

Mick Tait has a new job scouting young players for Newcastle United.

Peter Beardsley – now Football Development Manager at Newcastle

And we reported earlier this morning his job is to look for any late developers in the region, so that we ensure we don’t lose players like Bobby Charlton and Alan Shearer to other clubs.

And one good example of a late developer in football is Peter Beardsley,  who was at Carlisle United from 1979 through 1982 and was then at Vancouver Whitecaps for a year though 1983 when he signed for Newcastle United.

At the time he signed for Newcastle for £150K, he was four months away from his 23rd birthday.

Mick Tait started his career at Oxford United and then moved to Carlisle United in 1977, and he talks today of  that young player who was there in 1979 – Peter Beardsley.

“The best players are the obvious ones, and I’ll get stick for saying this again because I always bang on about it.” “But the first time I saw Peter Beardsley play I thought ‘There’s a footballer’.”

“He came to Carlisle when I was there, we trained and I saw it straight away. One training session, that’s all it took.” “Clubs have players for months and can’t make up their minds, but Peter was different.’

“I know a lot of people didn’t see it, because he went a long time without getting a club.” “But the first time I saw him kick a ball I thought ‘He’s a player’.”

Mick was at Carlisle United from 1977 through 1979 and Peter Beardsley was there from 1979 through 1982 before joining the Vancouver White Caps.

Peter stayed at Vancouver only for one year and he moved to Newcastle for the first time in September of 1983, and he stayed on Tyneside for four seasons and left Newcastle for Liverpool in 1987.

Peter rejoined Newcastle, who were then managed by Kevin Keegan,   in 1993.

Peter is now the Football Development manager at Newcastle, after being promoted from his former position as the Newcastle Reserve team manager.

Tait is now coaching at Gateshead College’s Football Academy, and being born in Wallsend he knows the area well, and is ideally positioned to scout local talent for Newcastle United.

“I’ve always enjoyed picking players, the recruitment side’s always been really important to me,”   “Even when I’ve been a manager and a coach I’ve prided myself on going out and getting good players.”

“It’s about spotting someone with a bit of talent. Other people might say ‘Yeah but he’s not aggressive’ or ‘He doesn’t head it very well’.”  “But these are things you can maybe put into his game. I look for lads who are technically very good.”

“Working at Gateshead College, I see a lot of youth football. These lads might have dropped away from professional clubs for whatever reason but we look after them and nudge them back the way.”

“The Premier League’s a different ball game but we have got a few back into the likes of Darlington, Hartlepool and Middlesbrough, people like Adam Reach.”  “There’s always a second chance – it’s how much they want to do it. In the end it’s down to them.”

It will be interesting over the next couple of years to see how many local lads can come through the ranks at Newcastle.

It seems a number of local lads are being let go in the summer, and they include Newcastle-born Ryan Donaldson, Ashington-born Jeff Henderson, Newcastle-born Dan Taylor and Amble-born Phil Airey.

• JackButler

Feb 19, 2012 at 11:43 AM

Its another aspect to our scouting policy that is not going to produce players by the dozen buy it shows the level of detail we are working too

• jayphoto

Feb 19, 2012 at 12:19 PM

All mick tait has to do is find 1 player like this that breaks into the starting line and hes a success! I remember when I was at villa youth team (about 12 years ago) and the amount of amazing players they cut at 16 because of physical size etc was unreal, the best 1 being the captain who now just plays saturday non league! I was cut at 16 because they said I wouldn’t be able to handle the physical aspect of the game (complete rubbish because i went on to compete for 8 years in MMA), wonder how many other top potential players go that way?

• shearermania

Feb 19, 2012 at 12:36 PM

@jayphoto…i was cut too at the age of 16 (thats 20 years ago now) i was told they didnt believe i had the mental atributes to become a proffesional football player -in my case though, they were right!!
    didnt handle my teens very well…but had a blast

• 2_goal_tino

Feb 19, 2012 at 12:40 PM

People on the other thread were questioning how a player and manager of lower league clubs could possibly be useful to a premiership team… firstly, most scouts have not played beyond non-league level at all and secondly his record is similar, if not better than Graham Carr’s and do we complain about him? Carr played for York and Northampton and managed the likes of Northampton, Kettering, Dagenham and Redbridge, and Maidstone.

Best thing I can see about Tait, and Carr, is that he’s a geordie who supports us.

• MagpiesFlyHigh

Feb 19, 2012 at 12:54 PM

2 goaltino

You don’t need to be an ex pro footballer to see talent either – but being involved at the sharp end of the game at any level has to help out for scouts to identify talents worth developing…

I’d rather have a Geordie scouting and coaching system than relying on some cockney geezer watching dodgy Youtube videos in London as the main player recruitment method – but as that was also done under the present ownership at least we’re going in the right direction imo.

• Thump

Feb 19, 2012 at 1:22 PM

Don’t be daft man, Magpies! I always use YouTube to buy players on FM. Been sacked from 6 jobs for back to back relegations but that’s not the point.

• Tooooon

Feb 19, 2012 at 1:25 PM

booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooring

• Tooooon

Feb 19, 2012 at 1:26 PM

I hate weekends with no PL matches

• LewSpi

Feb 19, 2012 at 1:29 PM

For the particular role which he has been given (scouting within 90 minutes of the city), I think it’s very important that a local fella was given it. You can’t buy local knowledge.

• MacToon

Feb 19, 2012 at 1:35 PM

Thump, is ur phone ok? can’t seem to text u mate 🙁

• MagpiesFlyHigh

Feb 19, 2012 at 1:40 PM

LewSpi

Hopefully all that local knowledge will mean he’ll not get a speeding ticket on the Alnwick bypass – or anywhere else

Thump

Yer just so….virtual..

• Tsunki

Feb 19, 2012 at 2:31 PM

This party really died. Like my hopeful prediction that Arsenal would win yesterday. It’s going to be a long week’s work until saturday.

• Marty-Toon

Feb 19, 2012 at 4:16 PM

Stevenage are able to curtail spurs but we got hammered by em
    Maybe they had their tactics and game plan ready before the game

• Xenarious

Feb 20, 2012 at 3:45 AM

Is this whole angle at recruiting the late developers and the ones that have fallen through the net an indicator that our Academy isn’t going to be a Category 1 or even 2 status? I heard by someone who is usually ITK in the Academy area of Football that during our first inspection, last year, we were graded category 3 in terms of facilities/personnel employed.

Also remember the Academies that are going to make Category 1 status are going to be able to scout nationwide now. So the likes of Peter Beardsley are just as likely to get spotted by other club’s scouts.

I haven’t heard any news about us wanting to achieve category 1 status, surely that would be priority if our Academy is so important to Ashley? All I hear is us buying kids over the age of 16, usually talented cheap foreigners. Even Wolves have posponed part of their stadium expansion so they can take a vital opportunity to upgrade to category 1 status.

Don’t get me wrong, the Tait appointment is still a useful one. But I’d be more impressed if Ashely was going to invest in new/extra Academy facilities and full time coaches for the lower age groups.

• NEWEXPATMAGPIE

Feb 20, 2012 at 6:17 AM

@14:
    Would,nt know about Categorisation of training facilities and don,t think anyone would give a monkey,s about something like that on here!

I will say this though, If they find a player who is anywhere near as good as Beardo was then this will be all worth it!
    And Ashley would,nt give a toss anyway!